PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is obstruction of justice?

RandomGuy
06-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Found a good resource during my lunch reading today:
(pdf)
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34303.pdf

Very detailed, well-sourced, and thorough.

Trump's actions in regard to the Russia probes probably falls under

"Obstruction by Intimidation, Threats, Persuasion, or Deception (18 U.S.C. 1512(b) "

By my first skimming.

A bit from the summary at the beginning:

Obstruction of justice is the impediment of governmental activities. There are a host of federal
criminal laws that prohibit obstructions of justice. The six most general outlaw obstruction of
judicial proceedings (18 U.S.C. 1503), witness tampering (18 U.S.C. 1512), witness retaliation
(18 U.S.C. 1513), obstruction of congressional or administrative proceedings (18 U.S.C. 1505),
conspiracy to defraud the United States (18 U.S.C. 371), and contempt (a creature of statute, rule
and common law).

Moreover, regardless of the offense for which an individual is convicted, his sentence may be
enhanced as a consequence of any obstruction of justice for which he is responsible, if committed
during the course of the investigation, prosecution, or sentencing for the offense of his conviction.
The enhancement may result in an increase in his term of imprisonment by as much as four years.

RandomGuy
02-20-2019, 11:18 AM
Shameless bump, because it is relevant.

RandomGuy
04-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Holy fuckballs, look at what I found...

Mueller notes that... I was actually right about this, sourced and everything.

spurraider21
04-24-2019, 12:48 PM
i think the mueller report laid out a pretty good case for obstruction. they determined that due to DOJ policy of not indicting a sitting president, that they also were not allowed to formally conclude that he obstructed. instead they just laid out all their findings, and i think it's fairly clear. its up to congress to decide the political play of impeachment is worthwhile

boutons_deux
04-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Dems won't do shit

boutons_deux
04-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Bush's speech writer

House leaders should lay the groundwork for impeachment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/house-leaders-should-lay-the-groundwork-for-impeachment/2019/04/22/f7fb9e42-653f-11e9-a1b6-b29b90efa879_story.html?utm_term=.7fad2c0f8bac

Spurs Homer
04-24-2019, 01:30 PM
Found a good resource during my lunch reading today:
(pdf)
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL34303.pdf

Very detailed, well-sourced, and thorough.

Trump's actions in regard to the Russia probes probably falls under

"Obstruction by Intimidation, Threats, Persuasion, or Deception (18 U.S.C. 1512(b) "

By my first skimming.

A bit from the summary at the beginning:

yup

been saying this

Trump is obstructing Congress now...he never learns

RandomGuy
06-18-2020, 04:27 PM
i think the mueller report laid out a pretty good case for obstruction. they determined that due to DOJ policy of not indicting a sitting president, that they also were not allowed to formally conclude that he obstructed. instead they just laid out all their findings, and i think it's fairly clear. its up to congress to decide the political play of impeachment is worthwhile

... and now we have Boltons book.

"obstruction of justice as a way of life".

I think there will be enough smoking guns to charge him after he leaves office.

Too bad Biden probably won't have the stones to do it.