PDA

View Full Version : Warriors: How good would the Warriors be without Steven Kerr

Mark Celibate
06-04-2017, 07:41 PM
Horse and I were discussing this on top of our penthouse the other day while Cubby/luva were busy mackin' on the honeys

i'm not talking about the current Warriors team but the two years Kerr coached the team prior. He gets a lot of flack due to the talent level on his team but there's no denying that the same team that suffered a first round exit under The Preacher immediately turned into a championship favorite the following season. Kind of reminds me of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers as they transitioned from whoever the coach was to Phil Jackson and became championship favorites. The Warriors jump was a lot more impressive.

In 2013-14, Thompson/Curry were fun to watch but nobody considered them to have a stacked team by any means. The Thunder, Clippers, and even Rockets had more all star level talent on their respective teams. Something definitely changed so how much credit does Kerr deserve? Curry was a special/dominant player in college so was it only a matter of time before that confidence came together at the highest level?

I haven't followed basketball that closely in a long time so I'll leave this debate up to the more intellectual crowd on spurstalk who actually know their stuff (Rummpd where you at?)

DAF86
06-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Draymond Green would probably be playing backup SF for a lottery team, and David Lee would still be the Warriors starting PF, without Kerr.

DMC
06-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Horse and I were discussing this on top of our penthouse the other day while Cubby/luva were busy mackin' on the honeys

i'm not talking about the current Warriors team but the two years Kerr coached the team prior. He gets a lot of flack due to the talent level on his team but there's no denying that the same team that suffered a first round exit under The Preacher immediately turned into a championship favorite the following season. Kind of reminds me of the Shaq/Kobe Lakers as they transitioned from whoever the coach was to Phil Jackson and became championship favorites. The Warriors jump was a lot more impressive.

In 2013-14, Thompson/Curry were fun to watch but nobody considered them to have a stacked team by any means. The Thunder, Clippers, and even Rockets had more all star level talent on their respective teams. Something definitely changed so how much credit does Kerr deserve? Curry was a special/dominant player in college so was it only a matter of time before that confidence came together at the highest level?

I haven't followed basketball that closely in a long time so I'll leave this debate up to the more intellectual crowd on spurstalk who actually know their stuff (Rummpd where you at?)

Anyone in this thread could have coached that team better than Mark Jackson.

Ice009
06-06-2017, 06:28 AM
How good was Curry in college? I never cared enough to look up his career before the NBA.

Mark Celibate
06-06-2017, 08:25 AM
How good was Curry in college? I never cared enough to look up his career before the NBA.

brah, he was nasty. He was about as dominant in college as he is now in the NBA. Without looking up stats and all that, he probably average close to 30 ppg and took a crappy Davidson to the Elite Eight where they went down to the wire against a stacked Kansas team.

:lol there was one game during the middle of the season where a scrub team held him to no points because they triple teamed him every possession but still lost by 30 by leaving other guys wide open. They just wanted to be remembered as the team that shut Curry out

MultiTroll
06-06-2017, 08:44 AM
Case in point:
Luke Walton 39-4

And then Potato Head sat on the bench and accepted the rigging.
Real tough gig.

Venti Quattro
06-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Probably not as good. Kerr laid out the foundation so good that Walton and Mike Brown took it on autopilot

UZER
06-06-2017, 09:13 AM
If pop was coaching, David Lee would still be starting and Draymond would be in the doghouse with no escape unless he left the team.

DMC
06-06-2017, 10:16 AM
If pop was coaching, David Lee would still be starting and Draymond would be in the doghouse with no escape unless he left the team.

Yet Kerr cites Pop during his timeouts regularly "As Pop my mentor would say, it's supposed to be hard, it's the Finals".

Pop's students are great but the master isn't?

lol, fucking clown.

The Gemini Method
06-06-2017, 01:27 PM
To some degree, they'd be still a good team. I think, though, Kerr adds some continuation of the system. The one player that looked like he got a boost from Kerr returning was Thompson. It's interesting to see that because the last game Klay was his usual self was game 2/3 against the Trailblazers. After that, he started his swoon. This adds an interesting caveat when 2019 rolls around. Does Thompson leave to be "the man" and whether that will translate to success if he decides to leave or whether he would be wiser to stick within Golden State.

Fabbs
06-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Does Thompson leave to be "the man" and whether that will translate to success if he decides to leave or whether he would be wiser to stick within Golden State.
FWIW his dad was on Laker Phaggot radio and claims Klay puts championship above his own stat bloating.

The way all the Warriors play, when they are still in the game up 20 mid 4th you can see the selfishness come out. I think Durant is the worst but really all of them.

lefty
06-06-2017, 02:13 PM

Except apalisoc_9

DMC
06-06-2017, 05:21 PM
To some degree, they'd be still a good team. I think, though, Kerr adds some continuation of the system. The one player that looked like he got a boost from Kerr returning was Thompson. It's interesting to see that because the last game Klay was his usual self was game 2/3 against the Trailblazers. After that, he started his swoon. This adds an interesting caveat when 2019 rolls around. Does Thompson leave to be "the man" and whether that will translate to success if he decides to leave or whether he would be wiser to stick within Golden State.

If I'm him I consider leaving if he has the option to do so, else you end up traded to a team you didn't chose.

Having a choice where you go is quite valuable. It's not even about being the man, but being where you want to be without immediate fear of being the third wheel. Plus his stock is high now.

The Gemini Method
06-06-2017, 07:31 PM
If I'm him I consider leaving if he has the option to do so, else you end up traded to a team you didn't chose.

Having a choice where you go is quite valuable. It's not even about being the man, but being where you want to be without immediate fear of being the third wheel. Plus his stock is high now. That is true. Grab a few rings and go and see if you can not be a 3rd wheel is always something to strive for. I guess we'll have to see how it all goes down in this series and from here on out.

DMC
06-06-2017, 09:58 PM
By "3rd wheel" I mean he's trade bait. You have KD and Steph, and although Klay is a good defender and great shooter, if he's too expensive you can get a 3 and D guy for less and still win. You don't need to win by 20 to win.