PDA

View Full Version : Golden State Can Be Had......

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:10 PM
If we could somehow get Avery Bradley and Andre Roberson, I think that would be enough with an emerging Kawhi Leonard to dominate that soft jump shooting team! Green , Anderson, LMA, Gasol could all be in play to help facilitate this as far as I am concerned. Of course picks/players from other teams would be necessary but those two players would make us scary! Bradley would be huge.....

DAF86
06-05-2017, 10:18 PM
:lol Andre Roberson

What the Spurs need to keep up with GS is shooters, they have the defensive system and discipline to slow them a bit on O, but they need to be able to hold their own on the other end by shooting and making 3's at a high clip. They aren't beating the Warriors by shooting mid range jumpers, no matter how good their defense is, (which is pretty good, tbh, and the only one I've seen, all season long, able to take the Warriors out of their comfort zone for a bit).

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:26 PM
Defense and Quality possessions is in my opinion what beats Golden State no matter where the shots come from. Roberson allows Kawhi not to have to kill himself guarding the player on the court night in night out as well as Bradley. Roberson isn't scared to finish cutting to the hole; hopefully Chip can fix his shot :) People forget Bruce Bowen was once horrible from the corner and the line as well.

Play Boban
06-05-2017, 10:30 PM
:lol Andre Roberson is the worst offensive player in the NBA :lol

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:34 PM

And so was Bruce Bowen once upon a time! Defense is want to.... and he really is elite in that area. Get him a corner J and work on those free throws.

DMC
06-05-2017, 10:34 PM
There isn't a player in the league not named Lebron James who could get the Spurs any further than they got this year against that team.

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:36 PM
There isn't a player in the league not named Lebron James who could get the Spurs any further than they got this year against that team.

I would respectfully have to disagree sir........

DAF86
06-05-2017, 10:39 PM
Defense and Quality possessions is in my opinion what beats Golden State no matter where the shots come from. Roberson allows Kawhi not to have to kill himself guarding the player on the court night in night out as well as Bradley. Roberson isn't scared to finish cutting to the hole; hopefully Chip can fix his shot :) People forget Bruce Bowen was once horrible from the corner and the line as well.

Green can also guard the other team's best player, and he can at least make threes at a respectable rate.

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Green can also guard the other team's best player, and he can at least make threes at a respectable rate.

Roberson is a far better defender and Avery Bradley is a better offensive player than Green. Green is a turnstile out there in my opinion....

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:44 PM
And Roberson is only 25

TheGreatYacht
06-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Yeah Draymond is great.

TheGreatYacht
06-05-2017, 10:53 PM
And so was Bruce Bowen once upon a time! Defense is want to.... and he really is elite in that area. Get him a corner J and work on those free throws.
Lmfao, players like Bowen don't work in today's NBA. You can't have offensive liabilities like him on the perimeter and expect to win. That shit might've worked in 2007 when the Spurs won a Finals game against the Cavs by only scoring 75 points but that was a decade ago.

Trotting out D-League Danny and Roberson at the same time is just suicide. Just stop.

HarlemHeat37
06-05-2017, 10:55 PM
Role players aren't going to be the difference vs. the Warriors..

They have 2 MVP-caliber players and 2 other 2-way All-Stars(including the probable DPOY)..they can surround them with scrubs and it wouldn't matter..

This forum has a strange fascination with blaming role players for the team's struggles when their competition is a team loaded with stars like GS..

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:56 PM
Lmfao, players like Bowen don't work in today's NBA. You can't have offensive liabilities like him on the perimeter and expect to win. That shit might've worked in 2007 when the Spurs won a Finals game against the Cavs by only scoring 75 points but that was a decade ago.

Trotting out D-League Danny and Roberson at the same time is just suicide. Just stop.

You must have missed the part about acquiring Avery Bradley to take over for Danny.....honest mistake I take it. Don't be so quick to be that guy.

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 10:58 PM
Role players aren't going to be the difference vs. the Warriors:lol

They have 2 MVP-caliber players and 2 other 2-way All-Stars(including the probable DPOY)..they can surround them with scrubs and it wouldn't matter..

Defense wins championships.....always have and always will. We damn near choked them boys out this year with Defense and timely scoring.

HarlemHeat37
06-05-2017, 10:59 PM
Defense wins championships.....always have and always will. We damn near choked them boys out this year with Defense and timely scoring.

3 of the Warriors' 4 stars are great(elite, in the cases of Draymond and Durant) defenders, as well..

Spurs could use 1 or 2 more 2-way role players, of course, but they need stars to beat them..

DMC
06-05-2017, 11:00 PM

This forum has a strange fascination with blaming role players for the team's struggles when their competition is a team loaded with stars like GS..

You'd need a healthy Kawhi, probably Gobert and a really good defensive PG who can get to the rim as well. You'd need Paul George and Jimmy Butler. It's not going to happen. You cannot have a one way player and beat these guys. Steph is the only one way starter and his offense makes up for the other end.

TheGreatYacht
06-05-2017, 11:03 PM
Dedmon
Robertson
Leonard
Bradley
Murray

If Zaza hurts Kawhi again next year with that starting lineup they might not even make it to 60.... :lol

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 11:07 PM
I really think we as a board have drank the Kool Aid...... We probably have the best player in the world and can't even see it because we are to busy looking over our fence! Let that dude rest more on D and focus on thrashing teams offensively. Every year he gets better and it probably won't stop barring injury....

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 11:09 PM
Dedmon
Robertson
Leonard
Bradley
Murray

If Zaza hurts Kawhi again next year with that starting lineup they might not even make it to 60.... :lol

I actually stated other players and pics would be involved but that lineup may not be as bad you think:)

DAF86
06-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Roberson is a far better defender and Avery Bradley is a better offensive player than Green. Green is a turnstile out there in my opinion....

Roberson might be the better defender, but he isn't the better basketball player. If the guy can't develop a semi reliable shot in the short term (thing which I doubt) he will be a bench warmer in a couple of years, and I don't say out of the league altogether because guys like Tony Allen and M'bah a Moute still have a gig somehow. But the way things are going, having a perimiter player who is such a liability on the shooting department is major flaw.

HarlemHeat37
06-05-2017, 11:12 PM
Kawhi's obviously a great base(only Cleveland has a piece as good as him against GS) but I don't know how anybody could feel comfortable with Aldridge being one of the stars on the team..maybe if he played against Ryan Anderson every game:lol

HarlemHeat37
06-05-2017, 11:13 PM
Roberson might be the better defender, but he isn't the better basketball player. If the guy can't develop a semi reliable shot in the short term (thing which I doubt) he will be a bench warmer in a couple of years, and I don't say out of the league altogether because guys like Tony Allen and M'bah a Moute still have a gig somehow. But the way things are going, having a perimiter player who is such a liability on the shooting department is major flaw.

It's not just outside shooting with Roberson..the Rockets were using the hack-a against him in the 1st round, which is almost unheard of for a wing player..

Emperor
06-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Lowry/Bradley/Kawhi/Ibaka/Dedmon. Then Murray/Green/Bertans/Anderson/?

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 11:21 PM
Chip.....Chip...... and how soon do we forget that Kawhi was never considered or expected to shoot as well as he does. We develop players that want to be better; I would gamble on Roberson.

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 11:23 PM
Lowry/Bradley/Kawhi/Ibaka/Dedmon. Then Murray/Green/Bertans/Anderson/?

If salary wasn't an issue...... I could trot that line up out there too! Bertans will be better this year; I love this kids fire!!

DAF86
06-05-2017, 11:24 PM
Chip.....Chip...... and how soon do we forget that Kawhi was never considered or expected to shoot as well as he does. We develop players that want to be better; I would gamble on Roberson.

Kawhi's shot was never as broken as Roberson's. Unless you think Chip is some kind of miracle worker I can't see how can you expect that abortion, that is Roberson's shooting form, to ever produce above average results.

EIC
06-05-2017, 11:26 PM
Kawhi's obviously a great base(only Cleveland has a piece as good as him against GS) but I don't know how anybody could feel comfortable with Aldridge being one of the stars on the team..maybe if he played against Ryan Anderson every game:lol

Correct. Aldridge is Richard Jefferson but worse. He is soft and doesn't care. We won't win anything with him.

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 11:31 PM
Kawhi's shot was never as broken as Roberson's. Unless you think Chip is some kind of miracle worker I can't see how can you expect that abortion, that is Roberson's shooting form, to ever produce above average results.

He may have a worth ethic that fosters improvement under the right tutelage... Like I said with his ability to wear down opposing offensive players; I could take a flyer on this cat.

TheGreatYacht
06-05-2017, 11:31 PM
I agree Danny Green is no longer a starting caliber player and we need to move on asap after his consistently shit play for the last 3 years but Roberson isn't the answer. No more offensive liabilities Stars can hide and rest on....

Green in the WCF:
31.6 3P%, 90 ORtg, 123 DRtg, -40 +/-, 4th in MPG but 9th on PPG...

Green will be neutered against any good defensive team as evident in the Memphis and GS series. Take in the fact that he'll be 30 next season with his jumper regressing even more... :vomit:

Bradley, :tu
Robertson, :td

Atl Spur
06-05-2017, 11:38 PM
I agree Danny Green is no longer a starting caliber player and we need to move on asap after his consistently shit play for the last 3 years but Roberson isn't the answer. No more offensive liabilities Stars can hide and rest on....

Green in the WCF:
31.6 3P%, 90 ORtg, 123 DRtg, -40 +/-, 4th in MPG but 9th on PPG...

Green will be neutered against any good defensive team as evident in the Memphis and GS series. Take in the fact that he'll be 30 next season with his jumper regressing even more... :vomit:

Bradley, :tu
Robertson, :td

I can respect that assessment.

Ice009
06-05-2017, 11:56 PM

It's obvious a lot of posters on this site have NEVER shot a basketball or are so poor at shooting, they have no idea that it's not that easy to fix a poor, broken shot even with a great shooting coach.

People need to stop talking about Chip as someone that can fix anyone's shot. He's most effective at helping people/players that already have a decent shot, or helping someone that just needs a tweak or two to their shot. Kawhi only worked him for a day or two before the lockout and then Kawhi put in the rest of the work himself during the summer. Kawhi just needed some minor tweak/s to his shot. It seems like Kawhi also had a feel for shooting the ball, so Chip was able to help him hone his shooting by making a tweak or two.

If you want to actually fix a completely broken shot, you need to do it when the kid is in school and/or a lot younger. If you come to the NBA with a completely broken shot, IMO, it's too late to fix it. Not even the greatest shooting coaches are going to magically fix broken shots when a player is older, as bad habits were already formed and that player most likely never had a feel for shooting the ball in the first place (what do I mean by feel for shooting the ball? Take a look at someone like Reggie Miller, who had a bit of an unorthodox shooting form, but still swished/hit a lot of shots - that's someone that has a feel for shooting the ball). Only a very small percentage of players (less than 10%) can/will fix broken jump shots in the NBA/pros to become a great shooter.

06-06-2017, 12:03 AM
Ha, the same Andre Roberson who shoots FT's almost as effectively as Andre Drummond? :lmao

Atl Spur
06-06-2017, 12:14 AM
It's obvious a lot of posters on this site have NEVER shot a basketball or are so poor at shooting, they have no idea that it's not that easy to fix a poor, broken shot even with a great shooting coach.

People need to stop talking about Chip as someone that can fix anyone's shot. He's most effective at helping people/players that already have a decent shot, or helping someone that just needs a tweak or two to their shot. Kawhi only worked him for a day or two before the lockout and then Kawhi put in the rest of the work himself during the summer. Kawhi just needed some minor tweak/s to his shot. It seems like Kawhi also had a feel for shooting the ball, so Chip was able to help him hone his shooting by making a tweak or two.

If you want to actually fix a completely broken shot, you need to do it when the kid is in school and/or a lot younger. If you come to the NBA with a completely broken shot, IMO, it's too late to fix it. Not even the greatest shooting coaches are going to magically fix broken shots when a player is older, as bad habits were already formed and that player most likely never had a feel for shooting the ball in the first place (what do I mean by feel for shooting the ball? Take a look at someone like Reggie Miller, who had a bit of an unorthodox shooting form, but still swished/hit a lot of shots - that's someone that has a feel for shooting the ball). Only a very small percentage of players (less than 10%) can/will fix broken jump shots in the NBA/pros to become a great shooter.

You shouldn't assume my athletic abilities sir; I'm not here to brag or belittle. Secondly, Are you a pro shooting coach? Common sense would lead any us to believe it is far more likely he will never be able to fix his shot based off the law of averages hence I stated because of his elite defensive prowess I'd be willing to take that chance on him......

Atl Spur
06-06-2017, 12:14 AM
See Jason Kidd if you don't think a bad shooter can improve.....

DAF86
06-06-2017, 12:29 AM
See Jason Kidd if you don't think a bad shooter can improve.....

Again, Kidd didn't have a deformed looking shoot like Roberson has.

BatManu20
06-06-2017, 03:56 AM

He absolutely kills OKC's spacing. He's such an awful shooter that defenses play about 6 feet off of him and dare him to shoot. Kills Westbrook.

Ice009
06-06-2017, 04:28 AM
You shouldn't assume my athletic abilities sir; I'm not here to brag or belittle. Secondly, Are you a pro shooting coach? Common sense would lead any us to believe it is far more likely he will never be able to fix his shot based off the law of averages hence I stated because of his elite defensive prowess I'd be willing to take that chance on him......

I wasn't having a go at you in particular. I saw Chip and fix his shot written in one of the posts in this thread, so I decided to use this thread to say what I think about most posters here that keep thinking Chip can fix anyone's shot. When Chip first started working with TP, I recall them saying he's going to cut out three pointers for a while and then a few years later add that to his game (that would make it around 2009, 2010). Anyway, 6 years after he was supposed to have added that shot to his game, it still hasn't happened.

I actually wanted TP to add the three pointer to his game years ago (I didn't like that he shelved it after he started working with Chip), and IMO if he did add it around 2010 like he was supposed to, I think it would have really elevated his game. He would have been tougher to guard as the defender would have had to watch for the three point shot and also defend against the drive. It could/would have also caused less wear and tear on his body and taken his game to another level. I still to this day don't know why he didn't add it to his game as I thought he was a decent shooter in the small sample size of him taking those shots.

Again, Kidd didn't have a deformed looking shoot like Roberson has.

Some people can improve their shot. Jason Kidd is the perfect example of it. He was a very, very average to poor shooter at the start of his career, but he became a really good three point shooter by the end of it. I didn't follow him that closely, but I was always impressed with how much he improved his shot. Did it start happening when he went back to Dallas, or was it towards the end of his time in New Jersey? Any idea when he made the leap? I always thought he might of worked/learned a bit with Dirk and his shooting coach after going back to Dallas.

Again, my point is that most people don't improve like Jason Kidd did. So many posters around here think Chip can fix almost anyone's shot. People need to realize that it doesn't happen too often and take that into consideration when they're suggesting the Spurs pick up a player that can't shoot for shit.

SAGirl
06-07-2017, 12:44 AM
:lol Andre Roberson

What the Spurs need to keep up with GS is shooters, they have the defensive system and discipline to slow them a bit on O, but they need to be able to hold their own on the other end by shooting and making 3's at a high clip. They aren't beating the Warriors by shooting mid range jumpers, no matter how good their defense is, (which is pretty good, tbh, and the only one I've seen, all season long, able to take the Warriors out of their comfort zone for a bit).
He can't stand Green or Anderson and says they don't compete but then wants Roberson. Granted he's a terrific defensive player but he ha no offense to work with. One of those guys that Atl Spur will be ready to hate on once he's in the team...

SAGirl
06-07-2017, 12:49 AM

:tu
also their definition of roleplayers when you ask what they want those guys to be able to do (like say from a draft pick) is the definition of an all NBA wing player for example.
some are in denial. Not the old guys though... those don't expect a championship once Timmy retired. It took me a couple of games into the season to see why Pau wasn't going to cut it bc Timmy was so much better at rim protection it wasn't even fair in comparison.

SAGirl
06-07-2017, 01:02 AM
Ha, the same Andre Roberson who shoots FT's almost as effectively as Andre Drummond? :lmao
Obvious case of the grass is greener on the other side.

Atl Spur
06-07-2017, 08:41 AM
He can't stand Green or Anderson and says they don't compete but then wants Roberson. Granted he's a terrific defensive player but he ha no offense to work with. One of those guys that Atl Spur will be ready to hate on once he's in the team...

You like Kyle... I get it! I don't like dudes who don't compete period. Skill sets vary but the ability to bring it night in night out must be there. Kyle and Danny don't bring it.... they are merely pretending out there.

TheDoctor
06-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Guys, guys...C'mon. LMAO :lmao Roberson? A worse shooter than D-League as the missing piece to beat the Worriers?

Hilarious thread :lol

therealtruth
06-07-2017, 09:18 PM
It's called controlling the pace and that's how you beat the Warriors. It's what the Spurs were doing before Kawhi went down in game 1. The reason it's so hard to do is you need players that can create their own shot and/or get fouled or make a play. Without Kawhi the Spurs didn't have that and they were forced to play at the Warriors pace which is a losing effort.

CGD
06-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Warriors are ruining basketball. I just witness 5 straight plays of pull up threes.

Leetonidas
06-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Roberson:lmao :lmao

Play Boban
06-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Bruce was never that bad tbh. And Robertson is no Bowen defensively, anyways.

Play Boban
06-07-2017, 10:54 PM
:lol Warriors 3-0":lol

SpurOutofTownFan
06-07-2017, 10:55 PM
it's a sad state for the league - 3pt shots as fun as they are isn't real basketball. Not sure how long you can watch that for and not get bored unless you are GS fan

Makes you wonder what would have happened if Kawhi hadn't gotten hurt by Zaza. The only team that actually took it to GS, even without Parker

SpurOutofTownFan
06-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Lebron is doing the conference at KD's house tonight - sending reporters there

Play Boban
06-07-2017, 11:02 PM
:cry

noles1983
06-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Fuck Durant, I hope he gets AIDS. Ruined the NBA for the next several years. The NBA was already a declining, shitty product and turned it into an over concentration of talent into 3 teams. It's boring, we might see the same fucking teams in the finals for 5 or 6 years in a row. Only the Spurs have a shot, only 3 legit teams in the entire fucking league. Shitty.

noles1983
06-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Warriors are ruining basketball. I just witness 5 straight plays of pull up threes.

NBA is cancerous in its current state. It has become unwatchable, haven't scene a single minute of the finals. Don't have to, I know exactly what it looks like. Shitty basketball.

Atl Spur
06-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Bruce was never that bad tbh. And Robertson is no Bowen defensively, anyways.

Please tell me you're joking........ I gave you credit for a point and then this!

Play Boban
06-07-2017, 11:55 PM
Please tell me you're joking........ I gave you credit for a point and then this!
Bruce could at least hit corner threes. Robertson can't hit anything from anywhere.

Atl Spur
06-07-2017, 11:55 PM
Guys, guys...C'mon. LMAO :lmao Roberson? A worse shooter than D-League as the missing piece to beat the Worriers?

Hilarious thread :lol

Defense beats the Warriors..... We clearly D them up every time we played them with Kawhi on the court. We just needed another player or two who could create their own shot and give him a blow on defense. KD doesn't have to guard the other teams best player, Steph doesn't either and that's why we need another Elite defender be it Roberson or someone else. Don't make this a pissing contest pimp.....

Atl Spur
06-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Bruce could at least hit corner threes. Robertson can't hit anything from anywhere.

Cool! Please review my previous post before commenting with asinine responses please. Thanks

Play Boban
06-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Cool! Please review my previous post before commenting with asinine responses please. Thanks
:cry