PDA

View Full Version : Popeye interested in return.Buckner to Denver

ducks
09-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Buckner to Denver?

Steve Kaufmann, the agent for Philadelphia 76ers swingman Greg Buckner, said it's possible Buckner could end up in a Nuggets uniform. Kaufmann said the 76ers are considering buying out of the final four years and $12.9 million left on Buckner's contract or trading him. The Nuggets likely would be more interested in signing Buckner as a free agent.

"(Denver has) really liked him for a while," Kaufmann said. "I won't deny it. It's been something that has been talked about frequently."

Last season was Buckner's least productive, averaging career lows of 3.1 points, 1.9 rebounds and 13.3 minutes. The 6-4, 210-pounder averaged 5.9 points and 2.9 rebounds with Dallas and Philadelphia from 1999-2003. He has a reputation of being a strong defensive player. He played for Dallas while Vandeweghe was an assistant coach and director of player development from 1999-2001.

Popeye interested

After Golden State granted forward Popeye Jones' request to waive him Friday, he is a free agent and interested in returning to the Nuggets. The 6-8, 250-pounder played for Denver during the 1999-2000 season.
The 11-year veteran lives in Denver in the offseason, and his wife, Amy, and three children also live here. Jones, 34, appeared in five games with Golden State last season and spent 24 games on the injured list.
"I would love to return home," Jones said. "My family lived here, and I haven't lived around them for four years. I have been working out at the Pepsi Center lately. (The Nuggets) have a good environment and a championship attitude. For a guy my age, that's perfect."