PDA

View Full Version : USS Gabrielle Giffords

RandomGuy
06-12-2017, 02:59 PM
HOUSTON (AP) — The Navy's newest combat ship was put into active service following a commissioning ceremony Saturday, named after former Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords who was injured during a 2011 shooting.

Giffords told a crowd at the ceremony in the Texas Gulf Coast city of Galveston that she was honored the 421-foot-long ship will carry her name and the vessel is "strong and tough, just like her crew."

"I thought of you in my darkest days, the soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines of the United States of America ... You make me proud. You make America proud," Giffords said as she stood next to her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, who was in the Navy. Kelly lived in Galveston County when he was stationed at Johnson Space Center in suburban Houston during his NASA service.

Speakers including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, said Giffords' strength and courage made her worthy of being the namesake of the ship, the USS Gabrielle Giffords.

"Nothing gives me greater joy and honor than seeing this great ship named for someone whose strength and resilience is a great lesson to us all," Clinton said.

Others who attended the ceremony included House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, former Vice President Joe Biden and his wife Jill Biden, who served as the ship's sponsor.

The Navy has said it named the ship after Giffords because of the perseverance she showed after the shooting.

Giffords was shot in the head at a meet-and-greet event outside a grocery store in Tucson, Arizona, in 2011. Six people died and Giffords was among 13 injured. The killer, Jared Loughner, was sentenced to life in prison. Giffords suffers from a language disorder and is partially paralyzed as a result of the shooting.

Giffords helped christen the $475 million ship in 2015. It's the ninth in a series of high-speed vessels designed to navigate in shallow coastal regions known as littoral waters.

It is the 13th Navy ship named after a living person since 1850 and the 16th ship named for a woman.

The ship will be based in San Diego.

"I will never forget this day or the crew of the USS Gabrielle Giffords. Fair winds and following seas," Giffords said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/warship-uss-gabrielle-giffords-commissioned-texas-191053637--politics.html

Chris
06-12-2017, 03:08 PM
Speakers including former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton...Others who attended the ceremony included House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, former Vice President Joe Biden and his wife Jill Biden

All the Luciferians showed up to send out their blessings...How cute.

poop
06-12-2017, 03:13 PM
Nothing like naming an american warship after someone dedicated to diminishing a fundamental and uniquely american civil right

TSA
06-12-2017, 03:22 PM
:lol gun free warship

Pavlov
06-12-2017, 03:31 PM
:lol Is funny because she shot in head! So funny! :lol

poop
06-12-2017, 04:56 PM
Nothing funny about that part. Just the ridiculous activism after the fact, as if the gun was responsible for the crime. To be fair tho, i dont think shes really all there after the fact...i think she was mostly just being rolled out as a prop/cudgel by her handlers...exploiting her as a tool for their crusade

baseline bum
06-12-2017, 05:01 PM
Nothing funny about that part. Just the ridiculous activism after the fact, as if the gun was responsible for the crime. To be fair tho, i dont think shes really all there after the fact...i think she was mostly just being rolled out as a prop/cudgel by her handlers...exploiting her as a tool for their crusade

Probably still more coherent than Trump

Reck
06-12-2017, 05:02 PM
Mitch you wanna talk to me about personal attacks and values? Read what your comrades have to say about a woman who got shot and still gets shit on for some reason.

Mitch
06-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Mitch you wanna talk to me about personal attacks and values? Read what your comrades have to say about a woman who got shot and still gets shit on for some reason.

Identity politics, you really are a Clinton voter :lmao

This is me, you and Webster Hubbell

Reck
06-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Identity politics, you really are a Clinton voter :lmao

This is me, you and Webster Hubbell

Keep regurgitating the same talking points the right gives you while side stepping the real issue. :tu

Mitch
06-12-2017, 05:18 PM
Keep regurgitating the same talking points the right gives you while side stepping the real issue. :tu

Keep regurgitating the same talking points the clintons gives you while side stepping the real issue :tu

Reck
06-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Keep regurgitating the same talking points the clintons gives you while side stepping the real issue :tu

I have no idea what that lady is doing, nor is she in any kind of political power to be giving any type of talking points.

Keep making lots of sense Mitch.

TSA
06-12-2017, 05:24 PM

I don't shit on her even though it's easy and I've got plenty of one liners to drop in this thread. I find it sad she's trotted out like a puppet in order to advance their anti-gun cause.

Mitch
06-12-2017, 05:27 PM
I have no idea what that lady is doing, nor is she in any kind of political power to be giving any type of talking points.

Keep making lots of sense Mitch.

She's still your queen, you defended every deleted email, bribe masked by paid speeches and backdoor deals. She's stuck with ya

Pavlov
06-12-2017, 05:29 PM
I don't shit on her even though it's easy and I've got plenty of one liners to drop in this thread.Want to shit on head shoot lady, but correct politically.

Reck
06-12-2017, 05:30 PM
She's still your queen, you defended every deleted email, bribe masked by paid speeches and backdoor deals. She's stuck with ya

And if that's true, than finding posts of me defending "every deleted" emails, brides and such would be easy. So get to it and show me.

Mitch
06-12-2017, 07:43 PM
And if that's true, than finding posts of me defending "every deleted" emails, brides and such would be easy. So get to it and show me.

Why find simple posts when I can just point my finger at you running around calling Hillary's email investigation (round 1 and 2) politically motivated and Comey was out to get her :lol

Pretty sure you started a thread on her 2nd investigation, tbh

FuzzyLumpkins
06-12-2017, 10:54 PM
Nothing like naming an american warship after someone dedicated to diminishing a fundamental and uniquely american civil right

Try bringing a gun onto a US military base and see what happens.

And Pakistan is more liberal with their gun regulations. You can own RPGs and automatics. Please move there.

DMC
06-13-2017, 01:20 AM
:lol Is funny because she shot in head! So funny! :lol

:lmao

"I'm gonna hit the head"

DMC
06-13-2017, 01:27 AM
Try bringing a gun onto a US military base and see what happens.

And Pakistan is more liberal with their gun regulations. You can own RPGs and automatics. Please move there.

I did it for years. Nothing happened.

You can own RPGs and automatics in the US as well.

Chris
06-13-2017, 02:09 AM
I did it for years. Nothing happened.

You can own RPGs and automatics in the US as well.

Alternative facts in Fuzzy World :lol

Thread
06-13-2017, 08:32 AM
I'll bet she has great health care for his maladies. None of that Obama Care shit, or, loitering Emergency Rooms for her.

FuzzyLumpkins
06-13-2017, 05:31 PM
Alternative facts in Fuzzy World :lol

What alternative facts?

Military bases have a strict no gun policy unless distributed from teh armory. DMC is full of shit or just got lucky that they never found it. IF he had used it or had it found he would have been guilty of a felony. Good to hear that DMC claims he commits felonies though. Sounds about right.

In order to own those weapons in the US you have to get a law enforcement waiver there is no right for a private citizen to own those weapons. You can create a corporation and have it passed onto the corp as well but legally that is not an individual owning the gun but instead the corporate entity. Compare and contrast with PAkistan where anyone can own those weapons without a similar oversight.

Nuance is tough for GOPotards apparently.