PDA

View Full Version : Report: Chris Paul to talk to Spurs, Rockets and Nuggets in free agency

ducks
06-15-2017, 05:25 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-chris-paul-talk-spurs-204501368.html

spursistan
06-15-2017, 05:32 PM
Guess there is fuckin' 30-page thread on the subject, no?

ducks
06-15-2017, 06:26 PM
guess it did not say in title he would talk to them does it

tonight...you
06-15-2017, 07:09 PM
guess it did not say in title he would talk to them does it
Still fits in that thread, doesn't it?

Maddog
06-15-2017, 07:12 PM
My agent has contacted the Spurs. There is mutual interest.

https://careers-attcenter.icims.com/jobs/1871/part-time-building-security/job

SpurPadre
06-15-2017, 11:16 PM
We need to see what tspence thinks about this, tbh.

therealtruth
06-16-2017, 09:39 PM
He's not leaving 205M on the table.

DPG21920
06-16-2017, 09:42 PM
He's not leaving 205M on the table.

This is the biggest minnomer in all of sports at the moment.

He's not leaving 205M on the table. Even if you didn't want to delver further into reality and only used what SA could offer on the surface vs LAC, it would be approximately 50M. Not 205M.

Then, when you factor in that the 205M is really only because of a 5th year, which CP could get later with the Spurs it shrinks that 50M. Further more, when you factor in the state income tax of CA vs none in TX, the gap is not nearly as big as people make it.

Does it sound amazing on paper and would that appeal to CP3? Sure and very likely it will. But it won't be because there is a real world mega difference in actual dollars hitting his pocket from a basketball contract perspective.

GSH
06-16-2017, 10:12 PM
This is the biggest minnomer in all of sports at the moment.

He's not leaving 205M on the table. Even if you didn't want to delver further into reality and only used what SA could offer on the surface vs LAC, it would be approximately 50M. Not 205M.

Then, when you factor in that the 205M is really only because of a 5th year, which CP could get later with the Spurs it shrinks that 50M. Further more, when you factor in the state income tax of CA vs none in TX, the gap is not nearly as big as people make it.

Does it sound amazing on paper and would that appeal to CP3? Sure and very likely it will. But it won't be because there is a real world mega difference in actual dollars hitting his pocket from a basketball contract perspective.

First of all, I would laugh my ass off if he went to the Nuggets. I know he would help the Spurs, but I've never liked him. It would almost be worth not getting him here to see his droopy, whiny face suffering in Denver.

It's a lot easier to leave a chunk of salary money on the table when you're marketable, and you go to a big media market. HEB commercials aren't going to make up the difference.

The tax thing? Did you know that when these guys play games in California, the state takes the position that they are earning income in that state, and they have to pay Cali state income tax. (I know it's that way for football - I'm sure it's the same for basketball.) It doesn't level the playing field, but it does close the gap.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-16-2017, 11:02 PM
The tax thing? Did you know that when these guys play games in California, the state takes the position that they are earning income in that state, and they have to pay Cali state income tax. (I know it's that way for football - I'm sure it's the same for basketball.) It doesn't level the playing field, but it does close the gap.

Yeah, that's where the agents for these big timers make their money. Not taking calls that the players or their close friends/family could do, but they've gotta file ~20 different state income tax returns every year to prevent potential huge fines and interest accumulation liens against the athletes. In the NFL it's more like 6-8 different state tax returns depending on where you play and who you play in a given year. What player has time for that shit, especially in the NBA when the season runs through all of tax season? At least NFL players could do it if they wanted to in their spare time in Feb - March.