PDA

View Full Version : Davis Bertans

Blackjack
06-16-2017, 09:31 PM
What's his ceiling?

Interested to find out what y'all think . . .

Uriel
06-16-2017, 09:42 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/xiscqn/picture4440727/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/LS%20PEJA%20STOJAKOVIC.JPG

outmap
06-16-2017, 09:42 PM
An athletic-Peja

Blackjack
06-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Hard for me to gauge. I've seen very little of the team the last few years, but I love the shooting, size, athleticism and fearlessness he's shown - love how he'll challenge defensively at the rim.

Peja was one hell of a shooter, don't really find him to be the most apt comparison - other than being tall, white and both 3-Point shooters.

Davis is different. Feels like he could have an All-Star year, maybe, but be an overall more impactful, winning, player than Peja ever was.

GSH
06-16-2017, 10:13 PM
Who?

JK. He's got a sweet stroke, and I expect him to hit more consistently next year. I really like his rim protection. It always takes new players a while to work into the defensive schemes here. But the part he does on his own looks pretty damn good.

Mostly, I really liked that he stepped up to get his teammate's back in that scrap. I really do think that it pissed Pop off. So I don't even know how to guess what next year looks like. He won't have much of an impact if he's sitting.

Blackjack
06-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Who?

That guy. He's tall and white, not Bonner.

Spurtacular
06-16-2017, 10:16 PM
http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/sacramento-kings/xiscqn/picture4440727/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/LS%20PEJA%20STOJAKOVIC.JPG

Dunno if you think that highly of Bertans or that little of Peja.

Dex
06-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Hard for me to gauge. I've seen very little of the team the last few years, but I love the shooting, size, athleticism and fearlessness he's shown - love how he'll challenge defensively at the rim.

Peja was one hell of a shooter, don't really find him to be the most apt comparison - other than being tall, white and both 3-Point shooters.

Davis is different. Feels like he could have an All-Star year, maybe, but be an overall more impactful, winning, player than Peja ever was.

Davis finished a hair under .400 for 3P%, 4th on the team in the 5th most attempts. Not bad for his rookie year. Can't find the article, but IIRC one of the coaches said that he had the best looking long-shot on the team in the training camp or early in the season.

Obviously has a lot to prove before he can be in the same sentence as Peja, but he may just have the tools.

Blackjack
06-16-2017, 10:22 PM
So if you have to put money on it:

Decent role-player; borderline star or All-Star?

Dex
06-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Have to see how he improves in his second season before I can see All-Star level...but I could definitely see borderline star if he stays healthy. His combination of shooting, length, athleticism, and BBIQ is hard to find, and he seems to be picking up the NBA quickly and is eager for more. All he has to do is put in the work.

Spurtacular
06-16-2017, 10:25 PM

He needs some serious strength and conditioning.

Leetonidas
06-16-2017, 10:31 PM
Prime peja being underrated tbh....there was a season he was a legit MVP candidate (was it 04 or 05? Can't remember). If Bertans can ever be that good we are in great shape tbh

Dex
06-16-2017, 10:32 PM
Another thing I love about Davis is that he doesn't hesitate. He played aggressive all season, looked for his shot, and tried to make plays instead of deferring and simply trying not to make a mistake (coughKylecough).

As a result, he played in 60 games, which is more than most rookies sniff in two seasons with the Spurs.

Blackjack
06-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Have to see how he improves in his second season before I can see All-Star level...but I could definitely see borderline star if he stays healthy. His combination of shooting, length, athleticism, and BBIQ is hard to find, and he seems to be picking up the NBA quickly and is eager for more. All he has to do is put in the work.

:tu

He needs some serious strength and conditioning.

Not too concerned with strength in today's NBA and conditioning should be fine with more consistent minutes

Prime peja being underrated tbh....there was a season he was a legit MVP candidate (was it 04 or 05? Can't remember). If Bertans can ever be that good we are in great shape tbh

Not underrating Peja, on this end, just see different players. Peja was dominate, offensively, at his peak.

Another thing I love about Davis is that he doesn't hesitate. He played aggressive all season, looked for his shot, and tried to make plays instead of deferring and simply trying not to make a mistake (coughKylecough).

As a result, he played in 60 games, which is more than most rookies sniff in two seasons with the Spurs.

Yeah, I saw fearlessness. That's why when seeing the little I've seen, I believe the talent, physical gifts and IQ could potentially be something along a star level. Hopefully he puts the work in and his health holds up.

DPG21920
06-16-2017, 11:02 PM
I just don't have enough data to know. He's obviously got loads of potential and a mean streak. He can shoot at an elite NBA level it appears and he's a good enough straight-line athlete to help on both ends.

However, All-Star is a really big stretch to me and I dont mean making the game; I mean being a legit all-star level talent whether you are voted in or not.

I think Border-line AS is the ceiling, but I think solid rotation player is the floor. I don't see bust and I don't see actual all-star due to defensive issues.

GSH
06-16-2017, 11:12 PM
:Peja was dominate, offensively, at his peak

What the hell happened to Peja at his peak? He was really a fearsome weapon for a few years. And then he wasn't. I didn't track him that closely for a year or two, and suddenly he was all but out of the league. I never understood if he just got paid and relaxed, or if it was something else.

However, All-Star is a really big stretch to me and I dont mean making the game; I mean being a legit all-star level talent whether you are voted in or not.

He never looked like an All Star in Europe. I liked him, and I thought he would be a good addition to the Spurs. But I never even considered All Star level, watching him play. He would have to improve quite a bit. There are a hell of a lot of guys who could be All Stars if they improved quite a bit. I don't think everyone on the team needs to be an All Star. Think how many starters there are in the league who aren't All Stars. If he becomes a regular starter, it's a big win for that trade and for him.

SAGirl
06-17-2017, 12:03 AM
Most of his shots are assisted.
He's not limited and does many things. I like him. Both his character and game. But he would have to be a lot more diverse offensively to be an all star. Plus be a starter playing 35 minutes a game... I am not sure his body will be up for that...

Darius Bieber
06-17-2017, 12:09 AM
lmao at posters undervaluing Peja... Dude was wet from the arc. Plus, he's got a ring so show some respect.

John B
06-17-2017, 12:22 AM
Great shooter and can take it to the hole. But I think what Pop liked in him is his help defense. He doesn't give up on the play to swat a layup. And several I've seen him sacrificed his body to take a charge. He's long and athletic. I think he has more upside than Peja. And Peja was an all-star. He needs to bulk up just a bit so he doesn't get tossed around in the paint. I like the fight in him and IQ. I can see him a Spur for a long time. Bertans >>>>> Bonner

BackHome
06-17-2017, 12:24 AM
Forget All Star I am just glad he can be a starter with Kawhi.

DAF86
06-17-2017, 01:14 AM
All I know is that Pop better play his ass next season.

Ice009
06-17-2017, 01:41 AM
lmao at posters undervaluing Peja... Dude was wet from the arc. Plus, he's got a ring so show some respect.

What, so that guy has one ring as a deep end of the bench role player and we have to show him respect, but players on the Spurs that have multiple rings and have played bigger parts in Championships, you constantly show them no respect.

Spurtacular
06-17-2017, 03:16 AM
What the hell happened to Peja at his peak? He was really a fearsome weapon for a few years. And then he wasn't. I didn't track him that closely for a year or two, and suddenly he was all but out of the league. I never understood if he just got paid and relaxed, or if it was something else.

I wouldn't say he was suddenly out of the league since he played 13 seasons and averaged 17.0

Looking at his player stats, he had a significant drop-off after the 03-04 (his best season). At 27/28, that's when he should have really been entering his prime. I think he must've had some sort of injury problems, but I don't remember them now.

I'll say this. I watched him and the Kings in a regular season game in 01 at Staples just dismantle the Kobe and Shaq by 26 (Think they were up by about 35 at one point). It was pretty clear to me who the better team was. It's a shame the playoffs were so fucking rigged back then. Stoy was a bad-bad man though, as Stephen A would say.

MultiTroll
06-17-2017, 03:27 AM

If Bertie can have a Kawhi work ethic combined with not being miscoached = definite borderline/All Star player.

ceperez
06-17-2017, 03:45 AM
He's got potential, but Spurs have not locked up their rights on him.

Uriel
06-17-2017, 04:12 AM
My worry with Bertans is he's already torn both his ACL's. That not only permanently hampered his athleticism, it also took away 2 years worth of on-court development.

Bertans was a rookie last year, but he's already 24 years old. He may well have had an all-star caliber ceiling, but with all these going against him, he may never ever reach it.

TheGreatYacht
06-17-2017, 04:25 AM
Ryan Anderson. Both are streaky shooters. When they're feeling it there's nothing you can do to stop them... when they're not, then they become unplayable. Both are below average rebounders (always hovering around 4-6rpg) as well.

TD 21
06-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Third big. His minutes are probably always going to have to be somewhat match-up dependant because he has no true defensive position and can't rebound either.

DAF86
06-18-2017, 11:48 PM
Ryan Anderson. Both are streaky shooters. When they're feeling it there's nothing you can do to stop them... when they're not, then they become unplayable. Both are below average rebounders (always hovering around 4-6rpg) as well.

Bertans has shown some flashes of mobilty and rim protection that Anderson doesn't have. Bertans is also a more than decent passer and playmaker off the dribble.

Play Boban
06-18-2017, 11:49 PM
I think the idiots who think this guy is going to be an All-Star must be klansmen blinded by their white supremacy tbh.

DeRozan m8
06-19-2017, 12:17 AM
I think the idiots who think this guy is going to be an All-Star must be klansmen blinded by their white supremacy tbh.

Or they don't hate all the players, like you do.

Ice009
06-19-2017, 12:27 AM
If he needs to be thrown into a deal as a sweetener, would you guys do it?

DAF86
06-19-2017, 01:01 AM

No.

Ice009
06-19-2017, 01:07 AM
No.

Even for a very good/great player? I'd do it without thinking about it. I'd offer him back to the Pacers in a Paul George trade proposal.

DAF86
06-19-2017, 01:17 AM
Even for a very good/great player? I'd do it without thinking about it. I'd offer him back to the Pacers in a Paul George trade proposal.

I would rather trade Aldridge and a draft pick than Bertans straight up for George.

Ice009
06-19-2017, 01:22 AM
I would rather trade Aldridge and a draft pick than Bertans straight up for George.

Well the reason I think he should be offered in a package rather than a draft pick is because he's a young prospect and I think the Pacers would be interested in that more-so than a draft pick.

But yeah, I love his fearlessness shooting the ball - he's my type of shooter. It would be tough for me to include him in a trade, but I would probably do it for someone like Paul George.

Chinook
06-19-2017, 06:28 AM

It depends on how sweet he's making the deal. Like Gasol, Bertans and 29 for PG is an intriguing deal. But not two firsts, Green, Anderson and Bertans.

sasaint
06-19-2017, 09:41 AM
Well the reason I think he should be offered in a package rather than a draft pick is because he's a young prospect and I think the Pacers would be interested in that more-so than a draft pick.

But yeah, I love his fearlessness shooting the ball - he's my type of shooter. It would be tough for me to include him in a trade, but I would probably do it for someone like Paul George.

I would include Bertans in a deal for somebody of PG's caliber, but not Paul George on a one year rental. I would rather go for a player like Butler who could apparently be had for the right price. I would rather keep Davis and give Indy the pick.

sasaint
06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
It depends on how sweet he's making the deal. Like Gasol, Bertans and 29 for PG is an intriguing deal. But not two firsts, Green, Anderson and Bertans.

Indy just might take the first of your proposals. Unless there was a very decent chance of re-signing PG, I am not sure that I would like to send Davis to Indy.

SAGirl
06-19-2017, 09:46 AM
I would include Bertans in a deal for somebody of PG's caliber, but not Paul George on a one year rental. I would rather go for a player like Butler who could apparently be had for the right price. I would rather keep Davis and give Indy the pick.
I think giving up both the pick and the young player is too much for a one season rental. Davis is due to get paid but it doesn't matter when in a season you won't have PG, the pick, or rights to Davis, who is not easily replaced. You can look for him in FA next season but will he want to join the Spurs after the trade? No.
Anderson at this point is easier to give up, particularly if Spurs don't plan on re-signing him after this season, but Pop has depressed his value not playing him enough at spots that are ideal for him and taking him out of the rotation. He's not enough sweetener IMO.
and that is likely one of the reasons the deal doesn't get done.
Thry could offer Danny whose spot in the rotation would be taken. But then you keep Davis. Danny and the pick should be enough if they don't want Pau. And that is counting on Spurs then keeping Simmons.

Play Boban
06-19-2017, 11:15 AM
Or they don't hate all the players, like you do.
:cry

FuzzyLumpkins
06-19-2017, 12:06 PM
I'm trying ot think of rim protectors that are great from 3.

His ceiling is something we really have not seen.

Rim protector, can put the ball on the floor, finishes above the rim, and is an elite outside shooter. If he can put on some strength so that he doesn't get pushed around on the block and post then he will be a singular talent.

DeRozan m8
06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
:cry

That the best ya got, kid?

CGD
06-19-2017, 07:25 PM

I would say no unless it's a no brainer. I want one more year to see what we really have in him.

Play Boban
06-19-2017, 07:33 PM
That the best ya got, kid?
:cry Are you mad, bro? :cry

Blackjack
06-19-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm trying ot think of rim protectors that are great from 3.

His ceiling is something we really have not seen.

Rim protector, can put the ball on the floor, finishes above the rim, and is an elite outside shooter. If he can put on some strength so that he doesn't get pushed around on the block and post then he will be a singular talent.

He's different, definitely. The weakside, help-defensive blocks I guess could be a little Kirilenko-ish... that's kind of why I asked the question - he's got some really good skills on both sides of the ball that I haven't really seen together.

He's a legit marksman. He shoots like he was born to do it, not like he evolved into it. He fearless going to the hole and challenging at the rim, he can attack closeouts and make plays, and it's pretty crazy to think how he's come back athletically after those surgeries - has to say something about his character.

Hard for me to believe he'll be an All-Star, but - heath willing - I think he can be one of those guys that everyone knows and respects and is a threat to have "one of those nights."

BD24
06-21-2017, 07:18 AM
He's different, definitely. The weakside, help-defensive blocks I guess could be a little Kirilenko-ish... that's kind of why I asked the question - he's got some really good skills on both sides of the ball that I haven't really seen together.

He's a legit marksman. He shoots like he was born to do it, not like he evolved into it. He fearless going to the hole and challenging at the rim, he can attack closeouts and make plays, and it's pretty crazy to think how he's come back athletically after those surgeries - has to say something about his character.

Hard for me to believe he'll be an All-Star, but - heath willing - I think he can be one of those guys that everyone knows and respects and is a threat to have "one of those nights."
Pretty much agree with this.

I think he can be a solid starter or a good sixth man. I just don't see him being an all star, I will happily eat my words if he evolves to that level of play though.

duncan2150
06-21-2017, 09:58 AM
Imo he needs to add some bulk without affecting his speed. He could be a damn nice player.

CGD
06-21-2017, 10:06 AM
I like the comparison to AK47, and don't think that's an unrealistic ceiling at all.

sasaint
06-21-2017, 10:13 AM
I like the comparison to AK47, and don't think that's an unrealistic ceiling at all.

Agreed. And I bet Bertans carries more pounds/muscle than Ichabod47 ever did. Not a big deal in the modern NBA. Bertans ain't gonna be wrestling with many like Z-Bo like the old days.

Chinook
06-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Feel like AK and DB are opposites.

duncan2150
06-21-2017, 10:27 AM
AK47 was way better defensively and didn't have a real shoot, agree with Chinook they're opposites.