PDA

View Full Version : Spurs make it official, extend qualifying offer to J. Simmons - Now Restricted

ace3g
06-21-2017, 11:46 PM

illusioNtEk
06-21-2017, 11:48 PM
How much??

Keepin' it real
06-21-2017, 11:51 PM
He's one of Kawhi's boys. Not surprising.

rastaspur
06-21-2017, 11:55 PM
How much ?

I think about free fitty. The cba no longer designates Simmons contract as being controled by the Gilbert arenas provision. It was recently changed to the loch Ness monster provision.

It's all about getting free fitty.

BatManu20
06-21-2017, 11:56 PM
The Spurs have extended a $1.6 million qualifying offer to make Jonathon Simmons a restricted free agent.

Edit: He gone. :lol

Uriel
06-21-2017, 11:56 PM
WTF are they doing? If they're going to dump Green, don't they need to renounce Simmons to free up max cap space?

SAGirl
06-21-2017, 11:57 PM
Unsurprising.
Thanks for sharing the news though. :tu

SAGirl
06-21-2017, 11:59 PM
How much ?

I think about free fitty. The cba no longer designates Simmons contract as being controled by the Gilbert arenas provision. It was recently changed to the loch Ness monster provision.

It's all about getting free fitty.
Really? I know nothing about the subject but it was allegedly reported by J.Young Spurs were about 50/50 on bringing him back. They want to but he's going to be steeply prIced.

AFBlue
06-21-2017, 11:59 PM
WTF are they doing? If they're going to dump Green, don't they need to renounce Simmons to free up max cap space?

Can't they renounce it at any time? I would imagine they do so if they have an agreement in place with CP3, but until that point it makes little sense.

Ditty
06-22-2017, 12:00 AM
Good news! :toast

We need as much athleticism against the Warriors, and he is someone who is playable against them also.

We need all the players we can against those guys.

cjw

They can renounce him up until he signs the offer sheet, which he won't do anyway - it's a one year deal at $1.67 million. If he does sign it, the Spurs gladly take him at just $800k or so over what the roster spot hold would have been anyway.

Win-win and basically a no brainer. Cheap cap hold.

TimDunkem
What they had to do.

SAGirl
06-22-2017, 12:02 AM
We don't know... draft picks, a trade for a player, a FA Chase for CP3? We don't know but they want to keep him if they can.

AFBlue
He's staying, tbh.

Not at the expense of Paul or a ridiculous offer, which is nearly a guarantee in this market. The guy will get Bazemore money and the Spurs will say "congrats and good luck."

Emperor
Our new starting SG.

Uriel
Can't they renounce it at any time? I would imagine they do so if they have an agreement in place with CP3, but until that point it makes little sense.
Ah, I see. They can renounce it at any time. In that case, this was the right (and obvious) move.

rastaspur

I'm kidding, sa girl.

Free fitty comes from an old south park episode where the loch Ness monster keeps trying to borrow $3.50 from chef's parents.

"That damn loch Ness monster always after my free ( or tree) fitty"

ONE OF MY FAVORITE SOUTH PARK EPISODES OF ALL TIME

https://youtu.be/9cn7xfBpZ3M

Edit:

Damn i am too high. Responding to the wrong post. My bad. You aren't sa girl. Time to call it a night on that blunder

AFBlue
06-22-2017, 12:03 AM
They can renounce him up until he signs the offer sheet, which he won't do anyway - it's a one year deal at $1.67 million. If he does sign it, the Spurs gladly take him at just $800k or so over what the roster spot hold would have been anyway.

Win-win and basically a no brainer. Cheap cap hold.

This. /thread

AFBlue
06-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Our new starting SG.

Until he gets overpaid and we decide not to match. I wouldn't get too married to the idea of him being in SA next year.

marinoman
06-22-2017, 12:07 AM
I remember reading on poundtherock that because of some rule no team will be able to offer him more than midlevel so Spurs will prolly keep him.
article is a few weeks old but if anyone gives a shit I'm sure I could find it

Spurtacular
06-22-2017, 12:08 AM
Spurs trying to get Simmons on the cheap and ST'ers complaining; par for the course. :lol

cjw
06-22-2017, 12:08 AM
This. /thread

The benefit of locking up minimum salary guys into RFA like Simmons, as well as these late 20s draft picks. Their cap holds are so damn cheap. Compare that to guys in the top of the lottery whose deals get pricey very quickly.

Worked to Warriors benefit too and was reason they had Draymond at a <$3 million cap hold last summer and could sign Durant. Had his full bird rights too vs. just early bird rights for Simmons.

I remember reading on poundtherock that because of some rule no team will be able to offer him more than midlevel so Spurs will prolly keep him.

PTR is wrong per usual. They can offer him more than the MLE as long as they have cap space but the Spurs would only have to pay him up to the MLE in the first few years.

marinoman
06-22-2017, 12:13 AM
The benefit of locking up minimum salary guys into RFA like Simmons, as well as these late 20s draft picks. Their cap holds are so damn cheap. Compare that to guys in the top of the lottery whose deals get pricey very quickly.

Worked to Warriors benefit too and was reason they had Draymond at a <$3 million cap hold last summer and could sign Durant. Had his full bird rights too vs. just early bird rights for Simmons.

PTR is wrong per usual. They can offer him more than the MLE as long as they have cap space but the Spurs would only have to pay him up to the MLE in the first few years.

they're mentioning something called the arenas rule. I'm no cap expert, would that apply?

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/5/30/15710500/nba-free-agency-jonathon-simmons-pau-gasol-lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-three-man-weave

rastaspur
06-22-2017, 12:16 AM
I bet he just lit up a blunt and is getting some head as we speak. You know, the finer things in life.

He has worked hard the last few years. Relax for the night jdimms. Spark that blunt and let the head game of your thot commence

cjw
06-22-2017, 12:17 AM
they're mentioning something called the arenas rule. I'm no cap expert, would that apply?

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/5/30/15710500/nba-free-agency-jonathon-simmons-pau-gasol-lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-three-man-weave

This does a good explanation:
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2015/12/glossary-gilbert-arenas-provision.html

spurraider21
06-22-2017, 12:18 AM
if there's one thing i trust about PATFO, it's their cap management

peacemaker885
06-22-2017, 12:23 AM
He's one of Kawhi's boys. Not surprising.

Hoops Czar
06-22-2017, 12:23 AM
The Spurs have extended a $1.6 million qualifying offer to make Jonathon Simmons a restricted free agent.

He's staying, tbh.

Formality really that the Spurs restricted him but far from a reality that he'll be back. He's going to see far better offers than that from other teams and it remains to be seen what the Spurs breaking point will be in terms of matching those offers.

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2017, 03:43 AM
Best Shooting Guard on the roster and it isn't close...

DeRozan m8
06-22-2017, 03:51 AM
What an insulting offer LMFAO

Best case scenario he declines, some other c*nt offers him whatever, we sort out our situation (CP3, Zinger, etc...) and then match the offer.

Would give him a shot as starting SG tbh

spurraider21
06-22-2017, 04:17 AM
they're not expecting him to sign it :lol... its just to make him restricted

cutewizard
06-22-2017, 05:02 AM
Cool

cutewizard
06-22-2017, 05:03 AM
:bobo

tbdog
06-22-2017, 05:22 AM
Some of you don't know how a qualifying offer works.

MaNu4Tres
06-22-2017, 05:54 AM
Renouncing Simmons makes little to no sense. It barely opens up 800K in cap space. 1.67 is his cap hold, but remember there's a 815K roster charge in his place if he's renounced. Makes no sense to renounce him.

baseline bum
06-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Best case scenario he declines, some other c*nt offers him whatever, we sort out our situation (CP3, Zinger, etc...) and then match the offer.

It's not an insulting offer. The value of qualifying offers is set by the collective bargaining agreement based on previous year's salary, and Simmons was playing on a two year minimum deal.

r0drig0lac
06-22-2017, 06:53 AM

buttsR4rebounding
06-22-2017, 07:21 AM

Just the opposite actually. If they trade Verde they have huge hole to fill at the 2.

MaNu4Tres
06-22-2017, 07:36 AM
If you actually do the math, Spurs won't have enough space for a max contract if they renounce Manu, Mills, Pau, DD, Lee. Trade DG. Then draft/stash pick, trade Kyle, trade Forbes. Still not enough because of 815K per roster charge. They have to trade another 10+ mil/year guy ( TP or LA). Trade LA and you get to keep pick, keep Kyle, keep Forbes/Bertans and have close to 50 mil in space.

With Pau declining option.

SA renouncing Manu, Pau, Mills, Dedmon, Lee.

SA trading DG.

Simmons cap hold at 1.67 mil

Spurs should be at 29,376,682 in space.

After that SA has options: If SA trades Kyle -- that's just creates 1.5 mil in space. Bringing us at 30.8 million. Then draft and stash the 29th -- that adds another 600K in space, which brings us at 31.4 million in space. Trading Forbes -- only saves around 100K (same w/ Bertans), which brings us at 31.5 million in space ( still not enough for CP3 Max).

However if SA trades LA and gets back a top 20 pick ( 2-4 million cap hold) that should create another 17-19 million in space, bringing SA to 46-49 million in space. Enough to sign CP3, re-sign Pau then SA can go over cap to re-sign or match Simmons -- all while keeping the pick, Anderson, Forbes/Bertans. Spurs can re-sign Manu and Lee to the minimum after all dust settles too.

GSH
06-22-2017, 07:43 AM
If you actually do the math, Spurs won't have enough space for a max contract if they renounce Manu, Mills, Pau, DD, Lee. Trade DG. Then draft/stash pick, trade Kyle, trade Forbes. Still not enough because of 815K per roster charge. They have to trade another 10+ mil/year guy ( TP or LA). Trade LA and you get to keep pick, keep Kyle, keep Forbes/Bertans and have close to 50 mil in space.

With Pau declining option.

SA renouncing Manu, Pau, Mills, Dedmon, Lee.

SA trading DG.

Simmons cap hold at 1.67 mil

Spurs should be at 29,376,682 in space.

After that SA has options: If SA trades Kyle -- that's just creates 1.5 mil in space. Bringing us at 30.8 million. Then draft and stash the 29th -- that adds another 600K in space, which brings us at 31.4 million in space. Trading Forbes -- only saves around 100K (same w/ Bertans), which brings us at 31.5 million in space ( still not enough for CP3 Max).

However if SA trades LA and gets back a top 20 pick ( 2-4 million cap hold) that should create another 17-19 million in space, bringing SA to 46-49 million in space. Enough to sign CP3, re-sign Pau then SA can go over cap to re-sign or match Simmons -- all while keeping the pick, Anderson, Forbes/Bertans. Spurs can re-sign Manu and Lee to the minimum after all dust settles too.

That's it in a nutshell. If the Spurs really are making a push at CP3, that's pretty much the way it has to fall I think. I guess they had to play it this way with Simmons.

buttsR4rebounding
06-22-2017, 07:57 AM
The only reason Paul comes to the Spurs is to win a ring. He understands the only way to do that is with the right pieces around him. The only way to do that is and still get similar money is under the Durant model. The notion that the Spurs have to free up max money this year is off base. If it is Paul's position it will be a short meeting. Also remember that the Spurs start with a 13 million dollar advantage over 5 years because of state income tax differentials. Combining the Durant model with the tax savings gets you within$10 million over5 years to the Clippers with a contract paying around$22 million this year.

DesignatedT
06-22-2017, 08:02 AM
:lol at some of these posts.

Jdspur20
06-22-2017, 08:03 AM

GSH
06-22-2017, 08:09 AM
:lol at some of these posts.

You're just not sure which ones?

tmtcsc
06-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Really? I know nothing about the subject but it was allegedly reported by J.Young Spurs were about 50/50 on bringing him back. They want to but he's going to be steeply prIced.

I don't know about that, no one does really. Not until a team makes him an offer. He received plenty of hype during the playoffs from TV analysts but none of those guys are in charge of a team's budget. Simmons was good but not "we're going to offer this kid a mountain of money" good. Hell, he only averaged 6.2 points a game. His outside shot is inconsistent and he's a little older than someone with 2 years of NBA experience. He made $874,636 last year. Spurs shouldn't break the bank for him.

TheChillFactor
06-22-2017, 09:31 AM

a lot of times i read stuff on this forum and it pisses me off. This post is comforting because it reminds me not to get upset with you guys, you're a bunch of fucking morons.

Keepin' it real
06-22-2017, 09:39 AM

So?

rastaspur
06-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Lol. It's a qualifying offer. It is just the start of the process. Qualifying offer is extended which triggers the whole rfa process.

SAGirl
06-22-2017, 12:50 PM
I don't know about that, no one does really. Not until a team makes him an offer. He received plenty of hype during the playoffs from TV analysts but none of those guys are in charge of a team's budget. Simmons was good but not "we're going to offer this kid a mountain of money" good. Hell, he only averaged 6.2 points a game. His outside shot is inconsistent and he's a little older than someone with 2 years of NBA experience. He made $874,636 last year. Spurs shouldn't break the bank for him.
I agree with your points. He was rumored to have a high number in his mind from which he wouldn't budge. We don't know what that is or what competing offers will be thrown at him. I am speculating based on the rumors and some common sense that he aims to get as much as he can (as he should) but in reality that price is still TBD

Ice009
06-22-2017, 01:12 PM
I agree with your points. He was rumored to have a high number in his mind from which he wouldn't budge. We don't know what that is or what competing offers will be thrown at him. I am speculating based on the rumors and some common sense that he aims to get as much as he can (as he should) but in reality that price is still TBD

Maybe that number he had in mind is a number for the Spurs to retain him. I mean, maybe he wants to stay and if other teams offer more than the number he has in mind, he'll take a little less and stay with the Spurs if they meet that number he's happy with? or do you think that number is a minimum for any team?

SAGirl
06-22-2017, 01:25 PM
Maybe that number he had in mind is a number for the Spurs to retain him. I mean, maybe he wants to stay and if other teams offer more than the number he has in mind, he'll take a little less and stay with the Spurs if they meet that number he's happy with? or do you think that number is a minimum for any team?
No... my take is his agent studied the market for a guy with his skills and they have a minimum they won't budge from. Maybe he can het more and at that point he'll reconsider... or not get as much as he wants elsewhere and settle for Spurs offer which is not as high as he's asking for or they would have a deal agreed upon with just the formality to be ironed out.

DAF86
06-22-2017, 02:03 PM

Edit: He gone. :lol

I came to bitch and whine but then I saw this post and cooled off. PATFO :tu

SAGirl
06-22-2017, 05:36 PM
"League sources tell the Express-News that at least 12 teams will be interested in Simmons when free agency hits on July 1, though the Spurs hope to retain his services; hence, extending their qualifying offer."

Play Boban
06-22-2017, 06:14 PM
I came to bitch and whine but then I saw this post and cooled off. PATFO :tu

FuzzyLumpkins
06-22-2017, 06:22 PM
"League sources tell the Express-News that at least 12 teams will be interested in Simmons when free agency hits on July 1, though the Spurs hope to retain his services; hence, extending their qualifying offer."

That's his agent.

HarlemHeat37
06-22-2017, 06:23 PM
That's his agent.

:lol

SAGirl
06-22-2017, 06:29 PM
That's his agent.
And eleven echoes.
I have been on record saying I wouldn't overpay for him already, but truth is I don't know what's been thrown around.... at least 50% of the chance said he'd be gone. But these SAExpress News guys don't know anything lol

I am grabbing popcorn to spectate on this one.

:corn: