View Full Version : 2006 San Antonio Spurs Preview

lilmads
10-15-2005, 11:40 AM
2006 San Antonio Spurs Preview
Brendan McGovern
http://probasketball.about.com/od/teams/a/spurs06.htm

See You in the Finals
Power Ranking: No. 1
Projected Record: 55-27 (4-game decline)
Odds to Win the NBA Title: 2.5/1

Offseason Grade: B-
Drafted (Grade: C)
1. (28) Ian Mahinmi, PF, France

Signed (Grade: B)
Michael Finley, SG, Dallas
Nick Van Exel, PG, Portland
Robert Horry, SF/PF (Re-signed)
Fabricio Oberto, PF/C, Argentina
Sean Marks, PF/C (Re-signed)

Acquired (Grade: N/A)
None.

Lost
Devin Brown, SG/SF, Utah
Linton Johnson, SG/SF, New Jersey

Position Battles: Manu Ginobili vs. Michael Finley. Advantage: Ginobili.

Breakout: Tony Parker.
It's hard to believe he's only 23, but it's even harder to believe that he doesn't turn games with his slashing ability, especially after watching him do it so often in the Finals. We think this could be the year.
Burnout: Finley. He's more of a spot-shooter than the inside-outside scorer with a hop in his step that people remember. And few have succeeded right away in going from star to sub.
Catalyst: Nazr Mohammed or Fabricio Oberto. If either becomes the energetic presence on the glass that the team lost from Malik Rose, the Spurs will be flawless.
2006 Free Agents: Mohammed, Nick Van Exel
2006 Salary Cap Space: About $12 million over the $49.5 million cap.
Projected 2005 No. 1 Pick: None, Pick belongs to New York

Top Trade Chip: Brent Barry. Despite a disastrous season in San Antonio, we can't see Barry being shot.
Move We'd Make: With Finley sure to suck away whatever time the Spurs had slotted for Barry, send him to shooting-starved Charlotte for the rugged Melvin Ely.

State of the Franchise
It's good to be the NBA Champions. It's even better to be the perennial favorite to win it all and the standard for professionalism to which all other franchises aspire to become. We're, of course, talking about the San Antonio Spurs, NBA Champs in three of the last seven seasons and the leading destination for veteran free agents to ply their trade at a reduced rate in exchange for a shot at an NBA Title.

In the past three years alone, San Antonio has reeled in the likes of Brent Barry, Robert Horry, Glenn Robinson, Steve Smith, Charlie Ward and Kevin Willis at bargain prices with the promise of a ring at the end of the ride. This summer, the Spurs added former All-Stars Finley and Nick Van Exel and International blue-collar big man Oberto to the fray.

But are the Spurs a better team because of these arrivals? When you play on the global stage of the NBA Finals and get taken to seven games, a blueprint on how to expose "the team to beat" reveals itself to the basketball world. You can never have enough outside shooting and Finley and Van Exel are prolific from behind the arc, but this was not a sore spot for San Antonio, which shot 39% from three-point territory in the Playoffs and sank over seven per contest. The underbelly of the Spurs was inside. After two blowout losses to start the FInals, the Pistons dominated the paint, intimidating San Antonio's perimeter players from driving to the basket and, most importantly, forcing Tim Duncan out of his comfort zone.

Duncan needed a bodyguard and Oberto may be that guy, but couldn't GM R.C. Buford have gotten more of as sure thing? Instead, the Spurs seemed to haphazardly add big names to the mix (a la the 2004 Lakers) without considering whether they'd take to the life of a supporting player. And if not, how that might hamper the development of Ginobili and Tony Parker, two younger players who should not have to donate minutes to keep old egos afloat. It didn't work with Barry, how will Finley and Van Exel fare better?

Fortunately, the Spurs are so in tune with what it takes to win and have such an established top-to-bottom hierarchy that a few missteps and conflicts along the way will be a distant memory come May. Bottom line: San Antonio is still vulnerable to physical play and Finley won't have nearly the effect people are predicting, but no team is more stable and accomplished at exploiting its advantages than the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
10-15-2005, 11:47 AM
Duncan needed a bodyguard and Oberto may be that guy, but couldn't GM R.C. Buford have gotten more of as sure thing?Who? Jerome James? :lol
Instead, the Spurs seemed to haphazardly add big names to the mix (a la the 2004 Lakers) without considering whether they'd take to the life of a supporting player.The first thing these guys are told is that their minutes aren't guaranteed.

Research.

spursfaninla
10-15-2005, 12:55 PM
So this guy thinks our weakness is inside? Its true that teams that played us physically gave us trouble. We have alot of skill players, but we rebound and defend well, too. We have physical defenders, most notably Bowen. I think Nazr can be an intimidating front court player, and Tim isn't afraid to raise to level of contact if the ref's are letting it go.

Sure, getting a bruiser inside can help, but rugged pf/c that can really defend and score, not just be a thug, is going to cost ALOT. They do not grow on trees. I know that Rasho is not going to go to any block parties like the Wallace brother's were throwing, but they are easily the best defending front court in the league, and I think we would have to give up Parker or Manu to get a piece good enough to make a difference.

I don't know what this guy thinks the Spurs could realistically do or get.

Further, a flaw in the Spurs system that I saw was mid-range shooting. When teams played zone or collapsed in the middle, they tried to stay with our 3 pt shooters and defended the driving lanes, but that will leave the middle open. Its why Robinson had some shots earlier in the playoffs. You can't really defend the mid range and the slash at the same time, so getting some shooters (van excel and Fin will do), is not necesarily just about the 3, though depending less on Bowen and Barry is a good idea).

ObiwanGinobili
10-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Projected Record: 55-27 (4-game decline)
huh? this guy is predicting a loose 4 more games than we did last injury plagued season?? :rolleyes
noone can doubt Spurs would've won 60 or 62.
Is he saying we are worse off depth wise this year? Is he predicting even more injuries?

:flipoff in obvious disagreement with every other sports analyst on earth..... except maybe SAS. He hasn;t talked to Magic Johnson lately has he?

Drafted (Grade: C)
1. (28) Ian Mahinmi, PF, France
maybe he should go back and see how our 1999 pick was graded??
Emanuel Ginobili... hmmmm I wonder how that turned out. :rolleyes
read your history bitch.

It's good to be the NBA Champions. It's even better to be the perennial favorite to win it all and the standard for professionalism to which all other franchises aspire to become. We're, of course, talking about the San Antonio Spurs,

perennial favorite?? this is the 1st season in forever that people other then spurs fans and homers are talking repeat.

the Spurs seemed to haphazardly add big names to the mix (a la the 2004 Lakers) without considering whether they'd take to the life of a supporting player. And if not, how that might hamper the development of Ginobili and Tony Parker, two younger players who should not have to donate minutes to keep old egos afloat. It didn't work with Barry, how will Finley and Van Exel fare better?

ok. this guy must not read any press releases or news articles other than the ones he writes.
Pop made it very clear to these guys that they would be coming off the bench, playing limited min.s, and taken on role positions. It was practically the 1st thign out of his mouth whne he met with them.
Also, he's already said he;s using the same starting 5 as the end of last season.

ObiwanGinobili
10-15-2005, 01:45 PM
i know I know i know ...... it's not like it;s the worst article ever written.

I just think that the Spurs should now be worshipped like greek gods and all nay-sayers should be drawn and quartered.

:angel

Brutalis
10-15-2005, 03:28 PM
"Brendan McGovern" added to shit list.

1Parker1
10-15-2005, 05:56 PM

I had to pause after reading that.....it's not even biasness, how can aquiring 2 of the most saught after FA's, plus resigning Big Shot Rob equate to a B- offseason? I'd like to see what he considered an A...

sanman53
10-15-2005, 06:40 PM

I had to pause after reading that.....it's not even biasness, how can aquiring 2 of the most saught after FA's, plus resigning Big Shot Rob equate to a B- offseason? I'd like to see what he considered an A...

Dont know for sure, but Id guess he gave Miami an "A". What you think (without looking at who he gave an A to)?

ObiwanGinobili
10-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Dont know for sure, but Id guess he gave Miami an "A". What you think (without looking at who he gave an A to)?

holy shit! :wow your right!!

MIAMI HEAT (Overall Grade: A)

Best Move: Acquiring the unappreciated Antoine Walker to help shoulder the mounting offensive load on Dwyane Wade.
Worst Move: Adding Jason Williams to the mix, a guy who doesn't like it when the ball's not in his hands.

Drafted (Grade: A-)
1. (29) Wayne Simien, PF, Kansas

Signed (Grade: A)
Shaquille O'Neal, C (Re-signed)
Udonis Haslem, PF (Re-signed)
Gary Payton, PG, Boston
Jason Kapono, SF, Charlotte
Shandon Anderson, SF (Re-signed)
Earl Barron, C (Undrafted rookie/2003)
Gerald Fitch, PG/SG (Undrafted rookie/2004)
Darius Rice, SF (Undrafted rookie/2004)
Matt Walsh, SG (Undrafted rookie/2005)

Acquired (Grade: A-)
Walker, SF/PF, Boston
Williams, PG, Memphis
James Posey, SG/SF, Memphis
Andre Emmett, PG/SG, Memphis
Roberto Duenas, C, New Orleans

Lost
Eddie Jones, SG/SF (Memphis)
Rasual Butler, SF (New Orleans)
Keyon Dooling, PG (Orlando)
Steve Smith, SG/SF (Retired)
Qyntel Woods, SF (Boston)
Albert Miralles, PG (Boston)

New Rotation:
SF: Posey
PF: Haslem
C: O'Neal
SG: Wade
PG: Williams
6th Man: Walker

that little motherfucker......... :oops

his name is now officially mini-SAS

GoSpurs21
10-15-2005, 07:25 PM
here is where he lost all creditability

San Antonio has reeled in the likes of Brent Barry,...Steve Smith,... at bargain prices

Brent makes $5M and Steve made $10M, I wouldnt exactly call that bargain prices

team-work
10-21-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm looking forward to Brent Barry to contribute more this season.

Last year, Barry was brought in with great expectations, but he showed only glimpses of his talents. This year, hopefully as he gets more used to the Spurs system, plus the fact that his major competitor in minutes, Devin Brown, has gone, Barry should has more confidence in his shots. In fact, except for the game vs the Hornets, Barry has performed well.

In the best scenerio, Barry would be the most important backcourt player off the bench, ahead of Michael Finley and van Exel, who understandably will need time to adjust to the Spurs system.

boutons
10-21-2005, 09:10 AM
'Brendan McGovern"

... find another line of work.

ManuTastic
10-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Move We'd Make: With Finley sure to suck away whatever time the Spurs had slotted for Barry, send him to shooting-starved Charlotte for the rugged Melvin Ely.

Which "him"? Finley or Barry?

DesiSpur_21
10-21-2005, 10:07 AM
here is where he lost all creditability

San Antonio has reeled in the likes of Brent Barry,...Steve Smith,... at bargain prices

Brent makes $5M and Steve made $10M, I wouldnt exactly call that bargain prices

Exactly.

Why in the hell he considers Fin a burnout? Just because he moved to bench from starting??

:rolleyes