PDA

View Full Version : LaMarcus Aldridge Failed Gregg Popovich (Article)

Thomas82
06-27-2017, 02:26 PM
I got this from a friend's Facebook page and just posted it in here. I couldn't find the link to this story, but I think it was spot on. I didn't see this posted, but please merge if it is. I will post the link if I can find it.

San Antonio Spurs: LaMarcus Aldridge failed Gregg Popovich

Two years into the experiment it’s pretty clear, LaMarcus Aldridge failed Gregg Popovich and the San Antonio Spurs.

Some players are unworthy of great organizations. The San Antonio Spurs are not a problem for LaMarcus Aldridge, he’s simply a problem for them.

Last week, during a segment of ESPN First Take, Stephen A Smith reported that Aldridge was “unhappy” and blames the organization for his declining play.
“From what I’m told, this is an individual that is very unhappy in San Antonio right now. He feels that the Spurs have compromised him, his productivity, they have hurt his game. And as a result, he wants out.”

The Spurs responded by making Aldridge available via trade (in an unsuccessful attempt) for a top-10 pick ahead of the 2017 NBA Draft. Then, after failing to unload him on draft night, did a bit of damage control after all the reported rumors.

“We’re happy with the group we have, if we can make it better, we’ll do it at any opportunity we can,” Spurs GM RC Buford said.

Whether San Antonio moves him or not is irrelevant. Who is Aldridge to disrespect an elite franchise such as the Spurs?

The Spurs sport the highest winning percentage in NBA history (62.4%), have won at least 50 wins in each of the last 18 seasons and are led by legendary head coach Gregg Popovich, who may be the greatest coach of all-time.

Meanwhile, Aldridge is a guy that as the “franchise player” only advanced passed the first round of the playoffs once during his nine seasons in Portland.

Even during his 2015 free agency, many teams knew he was not a No. 1. Which his why San Antonio, next to Kawhi Leonard, seems like the perfect marriage.
Not only would Aldridge find the potential for huge player success that he was searching for, but at the same time San Antonio would find their probable successor to Tim Duncan.

San Antonio believed in Aldridge enough to break their 12-year tradition of not investing big money on the outside free agent market.

In return, Aldridge choked in big moments, came up short when his team needed him most and turned his back on the entire organization at the first turn of adversity.

In Portland, Aldridge never played on the big stage. When he signed with San Antonio, that all changed. And Aldridge simply wasn’t ready for it. It almost felt like the bigger the game, the smaller Aldridge would show up.

This past postseason, Aldridge had an up and down showing. However, when the Spurs needed him most, when Kawhi Leonard went down with an ankle injury, Aldridge failed to answer the call.

Instead of stepping up in Leonard’s absence, Aldridge looked fidgety, unsteady, nervous and panicked in crunch time. In Game 2, when San Antonio looked to him for guidance without their No. 1, Aldridge turned in an eight-point, four-rebound performance.

In Game 3, Aldridge finished with 18 points on 17 shots. He added just five rebounds. He also posted a minus-27 plus/minus rating. To end the series, in Game 4, he turned in another eight-point performance.

But that’s the organization’s fault, right? If anything, San Antonio has the right to be upset.

The only defense for Aldridge is his game doesn’t translate towards the new NBA culture of shooting three-pointers and running the floor. This new NBA benefits players like Draymond Green, Kristaps Porzingis, Chris Bosh (when he was healthy), Karl-Anthony Towns and Kevin Love.

Not Aldridge.

Even during the NBA Finals, there were no true big men on the floor consistently between the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors. And when they were, they were making their teams consistently worse.

It’s time for LaMarcus Aldridge to realize that the San Antonio Spurs aren’t the problem. He is.

wildbill2u
06-27-2017, 02:46 PM
Ya gotta have heart to be the Man. Or even a super-sub. LMA didn't show much in that area.

SpursforSix
06-27-2017, 02:49 PM
waste of a story. easy pickings. there is exactly one person who thinks the Spurs were the problem.

noles1983
06-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Here is the article (http://sircharlesincharge.com/2017/06/27/lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-failed/)

LittleCriminal
06-27-2017, 02:56 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/191/383/f76.png

Thomas82
06-27-2017, 03:06 PM
Here is the article (http://sircharlesincharge.com/2017/06/27/lamarcus-aldridge-san-antonio-spurs-failed/)

Thanks for the link.

TheGreatYacht
06-27-2017, 04:25 PM
Popovich failed Tim Duncan

RC Buford is failing Kawhi Leonard

GSH
06-27-2017, 04:34 PM
The article is nothing revolutionary, but the kid who wrote it is a freshman at Frostburg State in Baltimore. He's got a couple dozen articles dating back into last year, including some 1-on-1 interviews with prospects. For his age, not too bad. If he's looking to become a sports writer, he's made a pretty good start.

Mikeanaro
06-27-2017, 04:45 PM
LMAO, LaShamecus, LaFatso, LaWhinus, LaMentus Porkridge, LaChoka Softridge, LaThargic Whoreridge failed everyone, I hope people keep booing him every time that piece of shit plays vs Spurs.

apalisoc_9
06-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Popovich failed Tim Duncan

RC Buford is failing Kawhi Leonard

Derrick white :lol

TimDunkem
06-27-2017, 05:50 PM
LMAO, LaShamecus, LaFatso, LaWhinus, LaMentus Porkridge, LaChoka Softridge, LaThargic Whoreridge failed everyone, I hope people keep booing him every time that piece of shit plays vs Spurs.Versus the Spurs? I'd be shocked if he isn't a Spur by the first game. I'll be there to boo him regardless though. :lol

Capt Bringdown
06-27-2017, 06:04 PM
Perhaps it's hard to get motivated when you're set for life many times over. Most of us will never know that feeling.

Not to make excuses, just thinking about the odd mental landscape that is inhabited by these multi-millionaires. Where does the competitive fire/pride come from?

Waps1980
06-27-2017, 06:15 PM
People forget Aldridge did put up some big numbers V OKC last year in the postseason ave 26.8 pts and 8.5 reb.
Included two 40 point outings.
This year however left a lot to be desired.

TimDunkem
06-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Yeah, then when the going got tough, he disappeared.

Down Under
06-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Who cares. If we get something decent in return - either a couple of 2-way role players or something else then we've got something out of the signing. It was always worth the gamble - we weren't going to win the past couple of seasons either way - TD's good knee blew out last year & GSW formed arguably the best team & system of all time this year whilst remaining healthy.

Nathan89
06-27-2017, 06:25 PM

Best player available tbh.

GSH
06-27-2017, 06:30 PM
People forget Aldridge did put up some big numbers V OKC last year in the postseason ave 26.8 pts and 8.5 reb.

His first year was better. Makes you wonder how much he benefitted from playing with Tim, even at the end of his career.

cutewizard
06-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Trade lamarcus, period, lets move on

baseline bum
06-27-2017, 07:23 PM
LMAO, LaShamecus, LaFatso, LaWhinus, LaMentus Porkridge, LaChoka Softridge, LaThargic Whoreridge failed everyone, I hope people keep booing him every time that piece of shit plays vs Spurs.

I wouldn't. You boo when someone awesome leaves, like Cleveland with LeBron or OKC with Durant. Spurs fans should just treat Aldridge's return with indifference. He never did shit here, nothing really lost with him going elsewhere.

rastaspur
06-27-2017, 07:31 PM
Versus the Spurs? I'd be shocked if he isn't a Spur by the first game. I'll be there to boo him regardless though. :lol

If he is still on the team the spurs should do a promotional double d battery give away for the first home game.

He may not see a game 2 if that were the case

rasuo214
06-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Well if the Spurs are stuck with him at least it'll be a contract year. Last chance to cash in on another big deal.

TheDoctor
06-27-2017, 08:23 PM
Best player available tbh.

Missed the whole context.

tonight...you
06-27-2017, 08:25 PM
If he is still on the team the spurs should do a promotional double d battery give away for the first home game.

He may not see a game 2 if that were the case
Evil ha ha ha ha! You dirty so and so...

DaBears
06-27-2017, 08:53 PM

** It changed in training camp when LaMarsha realized that He was going to be a perm 2nd fettle. When he realized that the offense would go through KL then everyone else, he knew he had a problem. He was probably feelin ou the spur t 1stseasonand learning the system that is why he heard no complaints from.
When playoff' came around he had already left the building, once pop called him out in GSW series, his house was already on the market. I hope he takes a loss on the house, due to no offers.

rastaspur
06-27-2017, 09:00 PM
** It changed in training camp when LaMarsha realized that He was going to be a perm 2nd fettle. When he realized that the offense would go through KL then everyone else, he knew he had a problem. He was probably feelin ou the spur t 1stseasonand learning the system that is why he heard no complaints from.
When playoff' came around he had already left the building, once pop called him out in GSW series, his house was already on the market. I hope he takes a loss on the house, due to no offers.

The minute he moves out all crackheads within a 50 mile radius need to go squat in it. Turn it into the carter. By all means.

Just don't burn it down. I don't want him collecting insurance proceeds

dbreiden83080
06-27-2017, 10:31 PM
I don't even know what that means that we compromised his game? He clearly is not good enough to be the man on a championship team. Nobody who is that soft honestly thinks they are the man at that level. He knows he is not up there with the best of the best in the league. So you'll be the second option and what could be a championship team. I don't even know what the hell his problem is? Is putting up your measly 23 a game that important to you?

therealtruth
06-27-2017, 10:32 PM

Aldridge forgets also. That's the guy who the Spurs thought they were getting. He did that against the Rockets in the playoffs.

TheGreatYacht
06-27-2017, 11:40 PM
Warriors have Durant, Curry, Thompson, and Green....
Cavs have Lebron, Irving, Love....
Wolves have Towns, Butler, Wiggins....
Sixers have Embiid, Fultz, Simmons, Saric....

All these cores with potential, meanwhile...

:lol Buford going into next year surrounding Kawhi Leonard with Jaron Blossomgame, Derrick White, Kyle Anderson, Bryn Forbes, Adam Hanga, Danny Green, Davis Bertans, post-quad tendon Parker, and Dejounte Murray

Mark Celibate
06-27-2017, 11:48 PM
Perhaps it's hard to get motivated when you're set for life many times over. Most of us will never know that feeling.

Not to make excuses, just thinking about the odd mental landscape that is inhabited by these multi-millionaires. Where does the competitive fire/pride come from?

underrated post. I would not be shocked if most pro athletes don't even care half as much as the fans do

Blackjack
06-27-2017, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't. You boo when someone awesome leaves, like Cleveland with LeBron or OKC with Durant. Spurs fans should just treat Aldridge's return with indifference. He never did shit here, nothing really lost with him going elsewhere.

LMA is a pussy. As a man, I'd cheer the hell out of him.

Because if you want to get what you want out of a pussy, you do what you've got to do. Cheer the man, make him feel good - build that trade value - then kick him to the curb.

Mikeanaro
06-28-2017, 01:17 AM
Fans were booing him when he was doing nothing vs GSW so Im not pretty sure of what is going to happen but fans had bigger expectations than RJ 2.0 so let´s see.

Phenomanul
06-28-2017, 12:26 PM

Which is why Manu's competitive fire is always a welcome sight despite his post-prime shortcomings... it's something you can't teach... it's contagious...