PDA

View Full Version : How long does Pop stick around?

picnroll
06-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Pop promised Aldridge that he'd stick around while Aldridge's was playing for the Spurs. Oops. Now that Aldridge is on the way out the door have to wonder how long Pop is going to keep going.

rjv
06-28-2017, 12:08 PM
i think he sticks around until he completes his olympics gig as head coach in 2020.

SAGirl
06-28-2017, 02:37 PM
He also was being pressured by Tony to coach him until retirement. Tony is injured, still putting pressure for another deal, but I think after this injury Pop doesn't owe him to keep coaching.

I do tend to think he sticks until 2020, but that just pressumes excellent health, energy, and projects things to continue being in the future same as they are now, which just cannot be known.

In reality, we may consider him year to year like Tim and Manu most recently.

bklynspursfan
06-28-2017, 03:27 PM
He'll be like Timmy. When he no longer has that passion for coaching, he won't coach. I think he said as much too. I remember him mentioning how he loved coaching Kawhi too..

Who knows what he'll do. If Bud was still here I bet he'd feel a bit better about leaving if he could take the reigns. (Whenever he decides to go)

John B
06-28-2017, 03:28 PM
Kawhi with Pop is the main reason why a high caliber FA would want to play for the Spurs. I hope he sticks around until we get Davis.

szkorhetz
06-28-2017, 03:29 PM
He'll be like Timmy. When he no longer has that passion for coaching, he won't coach. I think he said as much too. I remember him mentioning how he loved coaching Kawhi too..

Who knows what he'll do. If Bud was still here I bet he'd feel a bit better about leaving if he could take the reigns. (Whenever he decides to go)
So he should have already left..

Spurs 4 The Win
06-28-2017, 03:30 PM
If Kawhi is winning MVPs and taking us to the WCF every year with 60+ wins, he will be around till that gravy train ends.

bklynspursfan
06-28-2017, 04:04 PM
So he should have already left..

Uh, no.

MaNu4Tres
06-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Pop has two more years in him, then he's retiring. IMO

Messina or Ime will be the next coach.

MultiTroll
06-28-2017, 04:13 PM
Will coattail Kawhi to another 60 wins and maybe Championship.
Wants the adjulation of Olympics.

2020 at least.
No way in hell he leaves before that.

gambit1990
06-28-2017, 04:15 PM
He'll be like Timmy. When he no longer has that passion for coaching, he won't coach.
tim said he'd play until the wheels fall off. i don't recall him saying he retired because he didn't have the passion.

bklynspursfan
06-28-2017, 04:40 PM
tim said he'd play until the wheels fall off. i don't recall him saying he retired because he didn't have the passion.

He said it wasn't fun anymore

Poolboy5623
06-28-2017, 04:47 PM

mclinejr
06-28-2017, 04:55 PM

This. He said he probably could have played, but didn’t want to.

Spur|n|Austin
06-28-2017, 04:58 PM
i think he sticks around until he completes his olympics gig as head coach in 2020.

Yup, this ^

SilverSpur
06-28-2017, 05:07 PM
He will retire after next years Championship.

GSH
06-28-2017, 05:14 PM
Until the entire team is dismantled, gravity stops working, and the world ends bloody.

Which should happen by mid-season this year, because Aldridge is a vaj and we didn't get CP3.

dbestpro
06-28-2017, 11:15 PM
Pop is going to do a Woody Hayes and tackle an opposing player who is doing a break away in a meaningless game, and will announce his retirement the next day.

DMC
06-29-2017, 12:40 AM
I think this is Pop's final year tbh. He doesn't need to be an NBA coach to coach the Olympics. Double duty at his age with the season he's going to face isn't going to be kind to him or his family. I don't see him trying to outlive the big 3.

Spurtacular
06-29-2017, 12:43 AM
Pop's not retiring any time soon. Who would stroke his ego?

DMC
Will coattail Kawhi to another 60 wins and maybe Championship.
Wants the adjulation of Olympics.

2020 at least.
No way in hell he leaves before that.

Your bubble is always a few microns off level there Fabbs. The shit you come up with doesn't ever make any sense, and it's not even good trolling material.

Pop is a HOF lock, might get it before he retires. He's never going to be better than he is right now, legacy wise. He has nothing to prove, the entire NBA is built around his system and his disciples. He's a legend. He can ride off any time he wants without ever thinking of any of that stupid shit you mentioned.

Spurtacular
I think this is Pop's final year tbh. He doesn't need to be an NBA coach to coach the Olympics. Double duty at his age with the season he's going to face isn't going to be kind to him or his family. I don't see him trying to outlive the big 3.

He'd just pull a Kerr and take time off if he wanted, honestly.

DMC
06-29-2017, 12:45 AM
He'd just pull a Kerr and take time off if he wanted, honestly.

I don't think so. Kerr isn't pulling a Kerr either, he's damn near unable to walk, much less travel and coach.

Some of you are mentally retarded.

Spurtacular
06-29-2017, 09:17 AM
I don't think so. Kerr isn't pulling a Kerr either, he's damn near unable to walk, much less travel and coach.

Some of you are mentally retarded.

I'm not saying Kerr is faking, "retard". I'm saying Pop could just make up an excuse to take 20 or 30 games off if he really wanted a break. Do you honestly think Pop is that eager to quit and go out of the limelight? I don't think you know Pop if you think that.

DMC
06-29-2017, 10:56 AM
I'm not saying Kerr is faking, "retard".

This shit... :lol

Then you say this immediately after:

I'm saying Pop could just make up an excuse to take 20 or 30 games off if he really wanted a break.

:lol "pull a Kerr" then "I'm not saying Kerr is faking"... then "make up an excuse to..." :lmao

Do you honestly think Pop is that eager to quit and go out of the limelight? I don't think you know Pop if you think that.
I don't think anyone here knows Pop, don't pretend you do, fuckstick.

coachmac87
06-29-2017, 11:15 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268902

I made a 2020 thread a month ago stating why I think that's the case

spurs1990
06-29-2017, 11:53 AM
1996-2020 would tie him with Sloan for longest stretch with one team.

Think about that 24 years at the same job. A grade schooler at the start of his term would have a wife, kids, mortgage by the time he hung it up.

Spurtacular
06-29-2017, 01:55 PM
This shit... :lol

Then you say this immediately after:

:lol "pull a Kerr" then "I'm not saying Kerr is faking"... then "make up an excuse to..." :lmao

I don't think anyone here knows Pop, don't pretend you do, fuckstick.

That's a lot of bluster. Frankly, I thought it went w/o saying that Pop didn't need to be legitimately injured (severely) to pull a Kerr. But it's somehow an issue for you. Let me know if you need someone to mop the tears.

Actually though, Pop could decide he is only going to coach home games and a select number of road games. He doesn't even need to pull a Kerr; he can just do what he's been doing for his players for years now. The machine run itself at this point, anyways.

I don't claim to know everything about Pop. I do know basic human psychology though. It's clear to any practical observer that Pop has enjoyed elements of his icon status in addition to the actual coaching itself. The alternative is going home and being anonymous. He's become to spoiled to want to go that route too soon.

DMC
06-29-2017, 02:42 PM
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/006/423/ragecomic.png

rjv
06-29-2017, 03:46 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThLn89Ut49MYHivxkpGAdyN7BTg65zL oAKPA-_eygkn6IBQ7Zv

Spurtacular
06-29-2017, 06:15 PM
DMC (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=20665)

Did I ever say Kerr was faking? That's on you for assuming, dude. I mean it was ambiguously presented, I'll give you that. But once it was explained to you, you went into a tizzy and doubled down on some lame shit. Maybe you should try to up the bar on your maturity level a bit. That's real advice for ya. You're operating on a middle school level. But whatever works for you, dude.

Just saying because you don't strike me as stupid like some of these trolls. But you become an emotional deuche and it's unbecoming. I mean, it's only a message board so maybe you don't give a fuck on that front. But I hope it's not bleeding over to your real life or visa versa is all I'm saying.

Vic Petro
06-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Even if he retires he's just going upstairs, so it's Pop's way for the foreseeable future. He took control of the team somewhat hostilely, and you'll have to pry it away from his cold dead hands. Soviets like long reigns.

06-30-2017, 09:05 AM

Once his right knee gave him trouble, it was no longer fun for him.