PDA

View Full Version : Baby Driver

benefactor
06-28-2017, 08:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2z857RSfhk

98% on RT.

Think I'm going to check it out on Sunday.

monosylab1k
06-28-2017, 08:37 PM
:lol I was literally right about to make this thread. Seeing it tomorrow.

benefactor
06-28-2017, 09:44 PM
Damn...didn't look at Edgar Wright's resume' until now. Dude has never really made a bad film.

Trainwreck2100
06-28-2017, 10:35 PM
Damn...didn't look at Edgar Wright's resume' until now. Dude has never really made a bad film.

he put together the ant man cast then told marvel to fuck off when they pulled their marvel shit.

Spur|n|Austin
06-29-2017, 12:25 AM
Came to make a thread - checking it out on Friday at Alamo.

lebomb
06-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Saw it last night.........OUTSTANDING movie. The whole concept is different than your normal action movie. Great acting too........... Jamie Foxx is so believable as a thug. Took my son and he said he could easily go see it again. Same here. :claw

LaMarcus Bryant
06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
I'll check this. Kinda sick of Jamie Foxx and his serious roles tbh. Go back to in living color style jackassery.

DMC
06-29-2017, 06:02 PM
he put together the ant man cast then told marvel to fuck off when they pulled their marvel shit.

Explain "Marvel shit".. Do you mean the corny, cheesy as fuck shit they put in every movie?

JMarkJohns
06-29-2017, 08:11 PM
Explain "Marvel shit".. Do you mean the corny, cheesy as fuck shit they put in every movie?

Wright didn't just want an Anti-Hero movie, he wanted an Anti-Anti-Hero movie.

Very much looking forward to seeing this tomorrow.

DPG21920
06-29-2017, 10:59 PM
Baby Driver is boss. Must see movie.

monosylab1k
06-30-2017, 05:19 PM
I was a little bit disappointed. The first hour is spectacular, but I felt like the second half really lost focus and was all over the road (no pun intended). Tries too hard to top the first act, and for me personally it just didn't work. Felt like the movie was really dragging by the end. I'd give it a B- overall.

That said, I'd still highly recommend seeing this in theaters. Don't be a cheapass and download some grainy ass version to watch on your shitty laptop, just pay 10 bucks and see it in a theater like a human being with dignity and self-respect. This is a perfect popcorn flick, far better than any shitty Fast N Furious movie, and considering the reviews/word of mouth, most of you won't be disappointed by it.

UNT Eagles 2016
06-30-2017, 10:18 PM
I was a little bit disappointed. The first hour is spectacular, but I felt like the second half really lost focus and was all over the road (no pun intended). Tries too hard to top the first act, and for me personally it just didn't work. Felt like the movie was really dragging by the end. I'd give it a B- overall.

That said, I'd still highly recommend seeing this in theaters. Don't be a cheapass and download some grainy ass version to watch on your shitty laptop, just pay 10 bucks and see it in a theater like a human being with dignity and self-respect. This is a perfect popcorn flick, far better than any shitty Fast N Furious movie, and considering the reviews/word of mouth, most of you won't be disappointed by it.

So many movies are that way, tbh.

"The Interview" really comes to mind.

JMarkJohns
07-01-2017, 06:35 PM
Agreed, Mono. First half was perfect. Then it lost itself in a very simple plot trying to add unnecessary complexity.

Went from a riot, to predictable, to fun but silly, to an ending I didn't prefer or even like.

But this is absolutely nitpicking.

I just expected a little bit more from a director like Wroght who worked on this for two decades, supposedly.

Leetonidas
07-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Pretty much. Still worth seeing though

Spurminator
07-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Really fun movie, but yeah, the last 20 minutes or so needed to be scrapped and reworked. I didn't need Jon Hamm escaping death a dozen times, and I didn't need to see a happy ending where Baby gets out of prison 3 minutes after he's arrested.

JMarkJohns
07-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Really fun movie, but yeah, the last 20 minutes or so needed to be scrapped and reworked. I didn't need Jon Hamm escaping death a dozen times, and I didn't need to see a happy ending where Baby gets out of prison 3 minutes after he's arrested.

Saw it again with my dad today. He couldn't stop laughing at the end. Called it fantasy bullshit. I asked, what? He mentioned the end where all these witnesses are paraded out to prop up baby as a good boy coerced into doing bad shit, except it wasn't just bad shit. Lots of people died. He said best case, Baby spends about a dozen life terms in Prison, worst case, Georgia has death penalty for about a dozen counts of felony murder, including an armored truck guard, a security guard at the post office, and a cop in the diner.

Didn't even realize how absurd the end was based on how annoyed I was by it.

UZER
07-04-2017, 04:36 PM
That's like every movie ever. Or do you think Superman really exists?

JMarkJohns
07-04-2017, 05:18 PM

Sure. But if you're gonna go the unrealistic route, why that vs some epic car chase or Gone In 60 Seconds type end?

I'd rather it be a fun, silly Risky Business sorta of end.

We we're all rooting for him in spite of his crime. Didn't need the morality play slap on the wrist masquerading as a conclusion to an otherwise enjoyable film.

Spurminator
07-04-2017, 06:06 PM

Except it's not... Or have you really never seen a movie that doesn't have a happy ending?

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Just saw it, agree with the posters above, the last 20 minutes were all over the place, didn't make much sense..I don't mind suspending disbelief, but the ending was way too corny for a movie that started off so well and deserved a quality finish..

But ya, still absolutely worth watching, though..

lebomb
07-05-2017, 06:44 AM
Damn, what did yall expect? Its an action movie, not a docudrama :lmao John Wick was unrealistic as all hell and it was still entertaining and great. Stop trying to find the realism in a hollywood action flick :rolleyes

JMarkJohns
07-05-2017, 11:41 AM
Damn, what did yall expect? Its an action movie, not a docudrama :lmao John Wick was unrealistic as all hell and it was still entertaining and great. Stop trying to find the realism in a hollywood action flick :rolleyes

Nobody is criticizing it being unrealistic.

We are saying the last acts of the film were scattered, didn't measure up to the first acts, and if Wright was going to make an unrealistic end, the whole "Baby is a good boy, so please have mercy on him despite three felony murder charges/gets out in 3 years from prison" was a pretty silly way to go.

Give us an epic car chase. Give us the good-bad guy winning.

Don't all of a sudden have a conscience, then puss out on his punishment so there was a happy ending.

lebomb
07-05-2017, 11:49 AM
Nobody is criticizing it being unrealistic.

We are saying the last acts of the film were scattered, didn't measure up to the first acts, and if Wright was going to make an unrealistic end, the whole "Baby is a good boy, so please have mercy on him despite three felony murder charges/gets out in 3 years from prison" was a pretty silly way to go.

Give us an epic car chase. Give us the good-bad guy winning.

Don't all of a sudden have a conscience, then puss out on his punishment so there was a happy ending.

Look at all the people that died in the Fast N Furious flicks..........none of the characters stayed in jail. They were all given some type of bad/good guy pardon.

Joseph Kony
07-05-2017, 12:10 PM
>posts thread about movie
>people comment on it
>some posters discuss plot holes/things they didn't like

:cry stop trying to find realism in movies :cry

:lmao

JMarkJohns
07-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Look at all the people that died in the Fast N Furious flicks..........none of the characters stayed in jail. They were all given some type of bad/good guy pardon.

It was a disjointed, silly ending.

Made worse because the first 100 minutes was so strong.

This isn't about realism. It's about absurdity. Big difference. I expected it as the F&F franchise evolved.

The first 100 minutes of a Baby Driver didn't create the exaggerated nature to expect a Terminator Jon Hamm or Court of Law farce of a morality play. It was great viewing. Fun. Action packed. Slick. Stylish. Innovative. That's what I expected from the ending.

HarlemHeat37
07-05-2017, 07:15 PM
^^Exactly..not only the corny ending, but there was an abrupt change of style where it became a satirical comedy skit with Jon Hamm becoming immortal:lol..

jLaCqrisEac

DPG21920
07-05-2017, 08:23 PM
^^Exactly..not only the corny ending, but there was an abrupt change of style where it became a satirical comedy skit with Jon Hamm becoming immortal:lol..

jLaCqrisEac

They did sort of set that up in the diner scene though. When Hamm's girl in the car said he had a rage and killed two guys, then again when she gave Bats that speech about how he doesn't know how relentless her man is when he see's red.

JMarkJohns
07-05-2017, 08:39 PM
There's a difference between going Hamm and going full Terminator, effectively immortal, with an ability to get where you're going before you get there.

They are talking Sequel. But now that Baby is a good boy who wouldn't hurt a fly, released early from prison after 3 years for being a sainted angel despite felony murder convictions, what could a sequel even be about?

chunticakes
07-06-2017, 07:04 AM
8/10.

Unfortunately the convoluted mess of an ending sort of makes you forget how awesome the first hour and a half are. I wish it would've ended with him and Debbie flat out escaping and ending up in a beach or diner somewhere.

Orrrrr they could've just had him locked up and ended it there. That could've set up for a better sequel, tbh..

I. Hustle
07-06-2017, 04:51 PM
8/10.

Unfortunately the convoluted mess of an ending sort of makes you forget how awesome the first hour and a half are. I wish it would've ended with him and Debbie flat out escaping and ending up in a beach or diner somewhere.

Orrrrr they could've just had him locked up and ended it there. That could've set up for a better sequel, tbh..

I just saw it earlier today. I agree that either of those endings would have worked. Also, they could have given the chick bigger boobs.

benefactor
07-10-2017, 08:28 AM
Man that ending felt weird.:lol

I agree that they should have just ended it with him in jail and let that lead into the sequel. Perhaps he meets a contact in jail that gets him behind the wheel again. The whole happily ever after thing was hokey as fuck.

I. Hustle
07-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Man that ending felt weird.:lol

I agree that they should have just ended it with him in jail and let that lead into the sequel. Perhaps he meets a contact in jail that gets him behind the wheel again. The whole happily ever after thing was hokey as fuck.

What about Shane? I thought he was going to be a bigger part of the movie. Sequel bad guy?

JMarkJohns
07-11-2017, 11:45 PM
Who the fuck is Shane?

Texas_Ranger
07-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Who the fuck is Shane?

Jon Bernthal, Shane is his Walking dead name.

I. Hustle
07-12-2017, 06:17 PM
Who the fuck is Shane?

Should I have said The Punisher?

MultiTroll
07-13-2017, 08:47 PM
I'm about a half hour in.
This better get good fast or I'll be looking for some of you.

MultiTroll
07-13-2017, 10:08 PM
:rolleyes you cornholes are so easily entertained / diverted.

4/10
5/10 at best.

lebomb you must have been high on inhaling fecal particles.

JMarkJohns
07-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Jon Bernthal, Shane is his Walking dead name.

Who the fuck still gives a shit about The Walking Dead and a character that died in like season fucking two?

JMarkJohns
07-13-2017, 10:31 PM
Should I have said The Punisher?

I don't know. Or say his real name?

Punisher is Thomas Jane. No?

MultiTroll
07-13-2017, 10:49 PM
to expect a Terminator Jon Hamm
No chit it was like "die already" about 5 farking times.
Way it was done added nothing, instead took away.
WTF some Freddy Krueger nonsense. :lol

lebomb
07-14-2017, 10:07 AM
:rolleyes you cornholes are so easily entertained / diverted.

4/10
5/10 at best.

lebomb you must have been high on inhaling fecal particles.

Compared to the bullshit movies that have come out lately.........not including John Wick II, its a pretty damned good flick.

I. Hustle
07-14-2017, 04:58 PM

Punisher is Thomas Jane. No?

He's going to be the Netflix Punisher.

JMarkJohns
07-15-2017, 02:47 AM
He's going to be the Netflix Punisher.

Freaking Netflix

leemajors
07-15-2017, 12:42 PM