PDA

View Full Version : Manu: “It felt like they wanted me to retire,”

Dex
06-30-2017, 10:20 AM
“If I had already made up my mind,” he wrote, “I would have burst into tears right there.”

:cry Come back, Manu :cry

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2017, 10:23 AM
:cry Don't retire Manu :cry

Proxy
06-30-2017, 10:24 AM
come back plz

Jdspur20
06-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Rather Parker retire and have Manu back.

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2017, 10:32 AM
You'd rather the Spurs second best playoff performer retire over a scoreless going scrub?

This is why Trump won. Adios, amigo.

rastaspur
06-30-2017, 10:32 AM
Come back, manu.

Ocotillo
06-30-2017, 10:40 AM
After the end of the season, I thought it was best for Manu to step down but in light of what is going on with the team, I am rethinking that. With Lamarcus on the way out, Tony hobbled, Kawai the type of guy he is, the team will be in search of a leader. Timmy D. filled that role for so long it has been taken for granted here. Manu is respected by his teammates and beloved by the fans and is a natural. Dijon said as much and what better mentor for the young combo guard.

The role he filled on the court I could see potentially being filled by White or Murray should they pan out enough. The guy has been a stellar sixth man, the best since McHale, and leads the bench which has been a strength of a team since the big 3 have aged.

If Manu were to retire, who would be the team leader? Kawai is the best player but he is too introverted to take on that role.

mudyez
06-30-2017, 10:42 AM
Come back Manu!

DarrinS
06-30-2017, 10:46 AM

Spur|n|Austin
06-30-2017, 11:00 AM
After the end of the season, I thought it was best for Manu to step down but in light of what is going on with the team, I am rethinking that. With Lamarcus on the way out, Tony hobbled, Kawai the type of guy he is, the team will be in search of a leader. Timmy D. filled that role for so long it has been taken for granted here. Manu is respected by his teammates and beloved by the fans and is a natural. Dijon said as much and what better mentor for the young combo guard.

The role he filled on the court I could see potentially being filled by White or Murray should they pan out enough. The guy has been a stellar sixth man, the best since McHale, and leads the bench which has been a strength of a team since the big 3 have aged.

If Manu were to retire, who would be the team leader? Kawai is the best player but he is too introverted to take on that role.

This is a great point, I think his leadership is definitely needed in the locker room.

I will say, we cannot pay him the money he's been getting paid, he'll have to come at a friendly discount.

sasaint
06-30-2017, 11:07 AM

I have gone through the same thought processes myself. I have very mixed emotions. In truth Patty would be better suited for a "leadership" role than Kawhi. But I think he is on his way out - for better or worse. That is a strong reason I have suspected that the Spurs' real PG target was GHill and not CP3 - his familiarity with Pop and "Spur culture. But we have a pretty crowded - albeit inexperienced PG position. So, I have strong doubts that PATFO is going after Hill - especially with the LMA brouhaha throwing the frontcourt into turmoil. This off season is filled with more intrigue than an Agatha Christie novel. I can't begin to speculate what PATFO is up to. The next couple of weeks will be fascinating to see unfold.

GSH
06-30-2017, 11:17 AM
This season could use a Manu Farewell Tour. Dead serious - the team AND the fans need it.

They can't pay him freaking $14 Million to do it, and they shouldn't have to. But Manu could do the team one last favor. And I've said it here before - if he signs a 1-year deal for the vet minimum, the league would pay half his salary. He would still get just as much money, but the team would get him at a bargain price. Everybody goes home happy.

Capt Bringdown
06-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Not a fan of players hanging on. It seldom ends well, and the sentimental "farewell tour" nonsense is embarrassing.
Manu should open up his own franchise of taco stands in San Antonio and retire a billionaire.

Brazil
06-30-2017, 11:24 AM
I hope he resigns for one more year tbh... team will need his leadership especially with TP being out for a long time. He is still capable of a good 15 mn per game off the bench tbh...

sammy
06-30-2017, 11:25 AM
Come back Manu!

GSH
06-30-2017, 11:27 AM
Not a fan of players hanging on. It seldom ends well, and the sentimental "farewell tour" nonsense is embarrassing.
Manu should open up his own franchise of taco stands in San Antonio and retire a billionaire.

Maybe you could ship him some of that juicy Thai dog meat. Stewed Dog Wedding Style might make a good taco for... certain parts of town.

TheGreatYacht
06-30-2017, 11:31 AM
He's been brought back for a farewell tour about 5 times now. Will be the same bullshit reason next year by his illegal fans

BatManu20
06-30-2017, 11:42 AM
Hopefully he comes back for one more season, but either way, Manu is a future NBA head coach, and likely a damn good one at that. Hopefully it's for the Spurs.

Dverde
06-30-2017, 11:48 AM
He should retire. Move on with your life.

Ron Swanson
06-30-2017, 11:50 AM
I don't mind him coming back, but it has to be for damn cheap.

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 11:53 AM
God...Come back or don't. I don't care - so long as it's for the minimum and plays no more than 10 minutes per game - but how many times do we have to go through this "I haven't decided on coming back just yet" shit? Manu already knows what he's going to do.

Hopefully this is the last time.

cd98
06-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Fans love you, Manu, but they want their cap space too.

Capt Bringdown
06-30-2017, 11:59 AM
He's been brought back for a farewell tour about 5 times now. Will be the same bullshit reason next year by his illegal fans

I think his fanbois want a grand exit tour ala Abdul-Jabbar or Kobe, with trealcy speechifying and ad nauseam standing ovations, followed by another Manu tattoo and yet another Manu jersey.
And more tacos, of course.

mookie2001
06-30-2017, 12:01 PM
Don't want him back. Yes the franchise is more important than the emotions of player-fans.

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 12:03 PM
Watch him do this again next year...

Canyonero
06-30-2017, 12:05 PM
Juan more season Manu pls :cry

Jdspur20
06-30-2017, 12:10 PM
You'd rather the Spurs second best playoff performer retire over a scoreless going scrub?

Because Parker will be a shell of himself when he comes back.

Keepin' it real
06-30-2017, 12:21 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/TenseTenderHart-max-1mb.gif

Horse
06-30-2017, 12:29 PM
Fucker will certainly step up more than lagina come playoff time.

DAF86
06-30-2017, 12:47 PM
Don't want him back. Yes the franchise is more important than the emotions of player-fans.

The franchise isn't more important than the emotions of the fans, tbh. The emotions of the fans is the only reason there is even a franchise to begin with.

phxspurfan
06-30-2017, 01:04 PM
This season could use a Manu Farewell Tour. Dead serious - the team AND the fans need it.

They can't pay him freaking $14 Million to do it, and they shouldn't have to. But Manu could do the team one last favor. And I've said it here before - if he signs a 1-year deal for the vet minimum, the league would pay half his salary. He would still get just as much money, but the team would get him at a bargain price. Everybody goes home happy.

this. Would be a cool send off and he can still play backup PG/bench spark plug for 15 mins per game

Laughing Gravy
06-30-2017, 01:14 PM
Hopefully he comes back for one more season, but either way, Manu is a future NBA head coach, and likely a damn good one at that. Hopefully it's for the Spurs.

Cant believe this thought has never crossed my mind. Would LOVE him steering the ship after Pop. In fact I think he would be my #1 choice.

Solid D
06-30-2017, 01:24 PM
I despise Manu and sneeze into my "I hate Manu" handkerchief. Nothing else matters.

:)

SpurPadre
06-30-2017, 01:37 PM
Please come back, Manu! No seas un boludo!

SpurPadre
06-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Maybe the hiring of his brother is planting the seeds for Manu wanting to coach, too?

mookie2001
06-30-2017, 01:40 PM
The franchise isn't more important than the emotions of the fans, tbh. The emotions of the fans is the only reason there is even a franchise to begin with.

we can't do this every year, isn't he a "team first" guy? Let's emancipate ourselves from the chains of player-fan bondage

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 01:45 PM
we can't do this every year
Guy "isn't sure" that he's coming back every year and he always does. Seems like Manu hasn't known what he's doing after every season for 5 years now...Tired of this show, tbh.

JohnnyMax
06-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Guy "isn't sure" that he's coming back every year and he always does. Seems like Manu hasn't known what he's doing after every season for 5 years now...Tired of this show, tbh.

Solid D
06-30-2017, 02:01 PM
In my mind, Manu is still the heart of the team.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2017, 02:06 PM
I was originally against it, but on second thought, I hope he returns, tbh..next season is going to be a throwaway year, relatively speaking, the fans are going to need a supplementary reason to build interest..

gambit1990
06-30-2017, 02:11 PM

hooperflash
06-30-2017, 02:15 PM
Mustard wants him back too so there's that

Spurtacular
06-30-2017, 02:20 PM

You have Trump derangement syndrome to even try to make that correlation.

Spurtacular
06-30-2017, 02:21 PM
As long as the Spurs have a shred of a chance of getting another ring I want Manu to come back.

boutons_deux
06-30-2017, 02:21 PM
“It felt like they wanted me to retire,” (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269428)

one of dumbest takes from a very intelligent,mature guy, a horribly wrong read of the stand-up tribute from ALL fans and players in Oracle.

Spurtacular
06-30-2017, 02:22 PM
I'm the biggest faggot on Spurs Talk

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/image.php?u=11597&dateline=1497326874

Did you forget that you were on one of your screen names that is allegedly pro Spurs when you came up with that avatar?

Phenomanul
06-30-2017, 02:50 PM
How quickly people's memories fade...

After Kawhi went down... Manu was the only Spur playing with any sense of heart or purpose... at freaking 39 years old...

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 02:51 PM
How quickly people's memories fade...

After Kawhi went down... Manu was the only Spur playing with any sense of heart or purpose... at freaking 39 years old...
That's an indictment on this roster, tbh.

FkLA
06-30-2017, 03:11 PM
That's an indictment on this roster, tbh.

But when Timmy did it at an advanced age it was a testament to his greatness and competitive spirit? You never turn guys like this away regardless of age, especially on the cheap. Obviously not even his biggest fans want him on a monster contract again.

tmtcsc
06-30-2017, 03:14 PM
If Manu thought the ovation from the fans in Game 4 felt like they wanted him to retire, he should read The Great Yachts posts in this forum going back to 2013. :lol THAT is what it sounds like when Doves Cry....after being run over and shot and then burned.

hater
06-30-2017, 03:19 PM
Go away scrub

GSH
06-30-2017, 03:26 PM
If Manu thought the ovation from the fans in Game 4 felt like they wanted him to retire, he should read The Great Yachts posts in this forum going back to 2013. :lol THAT is what it sounds like when Doves Cry....after being run over and shot and then burned.

It sort of feels like most of this team needs some testosterone injections. Starting with Pop, so he won't get all bitchy when Bertans and Dedmon get just a little bit aggressive.

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 03:40 PM
But when Timmy did it at an advanced age it was a testament to his greatness and competitive spirit? You never turn guys like this away regardless of age, especially on the cheap. Obviously not even his biggest fans want him on a monster contract again.
Not arguing against Manu's fire. Just saying it's sad that a 40 year old is playing harder than just about everyone else.

JohnnyMax
06-30-2017, 03:57 PM
I wonder if Miami will retire his jersey for helping them win 2006 and 2013 championship.

spurraider21
06-30-2017, 04:33 PM
i want him back tbh

Pocho La Pantera
06-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Two more years

cariocaz
06-30-2017, 04:55 PM
It's time to bow out gracefully.

vander
06-30-2017, 05:14 PM
we can't do this every year, isn't he a "team first" guy? Let's emancipate ourselves from the chains of player-fan bondage

yep, this is really annoying, and he's surely doing it to squeeze more money out of the Spurs

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 05:16 PM
yep, this is really annoying, and he's surely doing it to squeeze more money out of the Spurs
Bingo. He "didn't know" if he was coming back last year but the moment he was offered $14 mill a year, he decided pretty fast.

lefty20
06-30-2017, 05:23 PM
I want Manu to come back so he can go out the same way he came in, as a Champ!

urunobili
06-30-2017, 07:24 PM
One more year!

SpurOutofTownFan
06-30-2017, 07:32 PM

TP = second best playoff performer? LOL, this is low even for your standards

Play Boban
06-30-2017, 07:33 PM

Parker is worth -$5.0 million over the next five years. Manu is worth almost $11 million tbh.

therealtruth
06-30-2017, 08:55 PM
Maybe he should take the first half of the season off to be fresh for the playoffs.

SupremeGuy
06-30-2017, 08:58 PM
Rather Parker retire and have Manu back.This.

skulls138
06-30-2017, 09:08 PM
God...Come back or don't. I don't care - so long as it's for the minimum and plays no more than 10 minutes per game - but how many times do we have to go through this "I haven't decided on coming back just yet" shit? Manu already knows what he's going to do.

Hopefully this is the last time.Its the price we pay for success, no biggie.

SilverSpur
06-30-2017, 11:25 PM
Come back as a practice coach

100%duncan
06-30-2017, 11:43 PM
Man, we lost the arms race already. Next year has no point. It's gonna be Kawhi for MVP again, rather have a legend staying just for the hell of it.

illusioNtEk
07-01-2017, 12:04 AM
Manu ballin on niggas at 40 lol

still.focused
07-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Find another hobby dude
It's over

Play Boban
07-01-2017, 11:23 AM
Parker is worth -$5.0 million over the next five years. Manu is worth almost $11 million tbh.
:lol

daslicer
07-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Man, we lost the arms race already. Next year has no point. It's gonna be Kawhi for MVP again, rather have a legend staying just for the hell of it.

Not willing to concede anything yet. The Rockets are a flawed team with D'Antoni being their coach and not having a depth. OKC has gotten better but I still think the Spurs can beat them. Remember the Spurs were always competitive against Durant-Westbrook. George is a great player but he's not on Durant's level so I think they are also beatable. The Warriors still remain in my eyes the biggest obstacle for the Spurs.

Capt Bringdown
07-01-2017, 11:51 AM

There's a large segment of Spurs fans who tune in simply because Manu speaks mexican, so you're right, they might as well keep him around.

Spurtacular
07-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Sign Manu. It's not like the Spurs are going to sign any bigtime FA's.

DAF86
07-01-2017, 12:07 PM

That's another argument son. I quoted that false premise than the franchise is bigger than the emotions of the fans, tbh.

look_at_g_shred
07-01-2017, 12:09 PM
Waiting for the 1 year 20 mill contract

elemento
07-01-2017, 12:12 PM
if signing him does to compromise the Spurs cap, just get his ass back.

But quite honestly, I want to have Manu memories from his prime and his great comeback in 14. I don't wanna see him as a corpse like T-mac or Arenas.

Dex
07-01-2017, 12:53 PM
if signing him does to compromise the Spurs cap, just get his ass back.

But quite honestly, I want to have Manu memories from his prime and his great comeback in 14. I don't wanna see him as a corpse like T-mac or Arenas.

Dude made a series-changing play with his amazing block on Harden. He still has some juice left in him.

mookie2001
07-01-2017, 12:57 PM
Makes no sense dude.

TimDunkem
07-01-2017, 12:58 PM
Makes no sense dude.
How much do they sign him for this year? 5 Million? 8 Million? 10? 14 again? :lmao

100%duncan
07-01-2017, 03:06 PM
Not willing to concede anything yet. The Rockets are a flawed team with D'Antoni being their coach and not having a depth. OKC has gotten better but I still think the Spurs can beat them. Remember the Spurs were always competitive against Durant-Westbrook. George is a great player but he's not on Durant's level so I think they are also beatable. The Warriors still remain in my eyes the biggest obstacle for the Spurs.

Yeah, and we aren't doing anything or do not have any more viable options at least for next year to contend with the warriors.

TimDunkem
07-01-2017, 03:08 PM
Yeah, and we aren't doing anything or do not have any more viable options at least for next year to contend with the warriors.
Same team. One year older while the West improves yet again.

60 wins and the second seed might not even be a possibility now. :lol

100%duncan
07-01-2017, 03:09 PM
Same team. One year older while the West improves yet again.

60 wins and the second seed might not even be a possibility now. :lol

I'm just hoping for a Kawhi mvp tbh :lol

UZER
07-01-2017, 03:10 PM
"felt like"?

:lol this guy can't see the obvious. It's time Manu.

TimDunkem
07-01-2017, 03:13 PM
He "still doesn't know" if he's coming back. :lol Fucking Manu...You know. Probably holding out for whatever money is left after Fatty ran off with his money bags.

daslicer
07-01-2017, 03:17 PM

Honestly I thought the Spurs would have beaten the Warriors this year if it wasn't for the Zaza hit job. They had the right idea on how to play the Warriors which is slow down the pace of the game and crash the offensive boards which they were doing up until Kawhi got hurt. If they remain healthy they will have a chance. There is no quick fix to beating the Warriors. TBH there was no nobody on the FA market that I wanted. I was anti-CP3 and the Spurs didn't have any young assets to trade for PG. Spurs are going to have to rely on player development and hope Murray,Bertans,White and the rest of the young players can get better over the next few years.

Pocho La Pantera
07-02-2017, 12:35 PM
Wasn't Manu the best player against the Warriors?

TimDunkem
07-02-2017, 12:37 PM
That's sad as fuck..

Pocho La Pantera
07-02-2017, 12:42 PM
That's sad as fuck.. it is, but that's another story.

Hoops Czar
07-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Wasn't Manu the best player against the Warriors? SAGirl disagrees

Prose
07-02-2017, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=Dex;9068043]“If I had already made up my mind,” he wrote, “I would have burst into tears right there.”

i don't think spurs fans were so sentimental bc they WANT him to retire. its the possibility of seeing him play his last game that got us all choked up...first tim, then tony goes down, and manu was all of a sudden the last man standing. And what made it even more special is the heart he showed with his play on the floor.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-02-2017, 01:38 PM
If his agent asked for 14 million again, I'd hope they'd hang up on him. I'm sure they want him back but at the minimum or somewhere near it. He already got his golden parachute contract.

SAGirl
07-02-2017, 02:13 PM
SAGirl (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524) disagrees

bait ignored. Let him believe what he wants. Manu was solid save game 2.

Taking it to the Hole
07-02-2017, 06:42 PM
Vet minimum. Nothing more than that. While I do not want to use a roster spot on a guy that may only pay 15-20 minutes a night, I think the Spurs will need his leadership in the lockerroom. Kawhi is more in the TD mold of lead by example but he is not vocal. Manu can help these new guys along and he has juice still left in him. I think the franchise owes him a lot so if he is willing to come back cheap, I am all for it.

GSH
07-02-2017, 09:09 PM
If his agent asked for 14 million again, I'd hope they'd hang up on him. I'm sure they want him back but at the minimum or somewhere near it. He already got his golden parachute contract.

Unless I missed something , they haven't renounced him yet - even with his massive cap hold. If he was seriously demanding something like $14M again, I would think even the Spurs would move on. To me, that says he really hasn't decided if he's coming back or not, and he's waiting to see how the roster develops. The Spurs haven't needed to renounce yet, so they're standing pat. Everybody saves face, everybody looks good.

I don't know what really happened last year, but there's not a team in the league who would offer Manu anything like $14M this year. He still has value, but not that much.

Play Boban
07-02-2017, 09:17 PM
I could see him getting a max one year contract tbh.

DMC
07-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Manu's leadership is needed, but it's just avoiding the inevitable because Kawhi isn't a leader. Manu will retire one day, and when that happens there will be no real leader. Patty doesn't have the gravitas that Tim and Manu have, and Tony is too much of an isolationist, elitist personality to associate with lower level players.

This is why I wanted the Spurs to keep Diaw.

YGWHI
07-03-2017, 01:59 AM
"Kawhi is not a leader.."

I love how some people keep saying the same shit ignoring all the things that making Kawhi a leader last season.

Of course Manu, Patty are older and more extrovert but it doesn't mean that Spurs players are looking for Mills when things go wrong...

When they needed a leader to guide them, they looked at Kawhi and he didn't let them down.

YGWHI
07-03-2017, 02:11 AM
"I felt like they wanted me to retire" ...And supposedly "they wanted to trade LMA for draft picks but they couldn't" "they heard offers for Danny Green but didn't get a good one"

Not sure about the chemistry of this team next season with a lot of players feeling "they" don't want them...

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-03-2017, 02:46 AM
Unless I missed something , they haven't renounced him yet - even with his massive cap hold. If he was seriously demanding something like $14M again, I would think even the Spurs would move on. To me, that says he really hasn't decided if he's coming back or not, and he's waiting to see how the roster develops. The Spurs haven't needed to renounce yet, so they're standing pat. Everybody saves face, everybody looks good.

I don't know what really happened last year, but there's not a team in the league who would offer Manu anything like $14M this year. He still has value, but not that much.

If they decide to stay over the cap and keep Manu's cap hold then they can pay him whatever he wants up to the tax line, it won't matter, except for Holt's pockets.

mingus
07-03-2017, 06:36 AM
Ppl are just expecting him to hang it up bec. he's a geriatric (who can still contribute despite this) & bec. there's no way in hell we're ringing any time soon due to a changing of the guard. But, hell, I love seeing him out there. Pretty sure every Spur's fan does.

james evans
07-03-2017, 09:59 AM
I hope he resigns for one more year tbh... team will need his leadership especially with TP being out for a long time. He is still capable of a good 15 mn per game off the bench tbh...
if they keep having him back for "one more year" he's gonna play until he's 50. Let him retire. he has nothing to prove. I see a lot of guys here are young and doesn't know how a 40 year old body feels after playing a game of full court basketball. And he's playing with the best players in the world.

james evans
07-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Teams are stupid. Do you see what was offered to JJ Rddick and Otto Porter?

ducks
07-03-2017, 10:01 AM

no

sasaint
07-03-2017, 10:15 AM
If they decide to stay over the cap and keep Manu's cap hold then they can pay him whatever he wants up to the tax line, it won't matter, except for Holt's pockets.

That's true. But if he is on the team, Pop is likely to use him (and all "old" guys) rather than develop the young guys. Based on the "moves" the Spurs have made so far this off-season, developing young guys is the only way to go this season that makes any sense.

jermaine
07-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Playing with Ginobili in 2k17, is like watching him in real life. Lol Sometimes he's good, an other times he's shitty!!

daslicer
07-03-2017, 10:51 AM
He needs to retire. I know people are going to say the Spurs need his leadership but it's time for this team to grow up without him.

DMC
07-03-2017, 04:02 PM
Didn't the 76ers offer him 16m last year?

DPG21920
07-03-2017, 04:52 PM
Didn't the 76ers offer him 16m last year?

Yes - I still think he could get lucrative 1-year offers from teams wanting some leadership too. Despite his level of play being reduced.

tmtcsc
07-03-2017, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Dex;9068043]“If I had already made up my mind,” he wrote, “I would have burst into tears right there.”

i don't think spurs fans were so sentimental bc they WANT him to retire. its the possibility of seeing him play his last game that got us all choked up...first tim, then tony goes down, and manu was all of a sudden the last man standing. And what made it even more special is the heart he showed with his play on the floor.

I wasn't there that night but Im not gonna lie, I teared up a little. I didn't even do that when Tim called it quits. I felt proud of the fans for showing him so much love. SA Fans get shit on for being too quiet and leaving games early but on that night, losing the last game of a sweep, it was awesome to hear the fans ignoring the circumstances and voicing their appreciation. The chanting, singing the Ole song...it brought back all the memories of him in his prime. I have no idea how he didn't get emotional whether he was retiring or not.

tmtcsc
07-03-2017, 05:23 PM
That's true. But if he is on the team, Pop is likely to use him (and all "old" guys) rather than develop the young guys. Based on the "moves" the Spurs have made so far this off-season, developing young guys is the only way to go this season that makes any sense.

I don't think that will be the case this year. Our best contributors will be the younger players. I hope he comes back and by some miracle, goes out a champ. Fuck G.S.. and Steve Kerr. What they are doing is nothing we haven't seen before - just 4 years ago when the Spurs won back to back titles against the Heat. That's right, I said it.

Pop and the rest of the Spurs' coaching staff run circles around those clowns. Just gotta have the guns to prove it.

Dex
07-03-2017, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=Prose;9072707]

I wasn't there that night but Im not gonna lie, I teared up a little. I didn't even do that when Tim called it quits. I felt proud of the fans for showing him so much love. SA Fans get shit on for being too quiet and leaving games early but on that night, losing the last game of a sweep, it was awesome to hear the fans ignoring the circumstances and voicing their appreciation. The chanting, singing the Ole song...it brought back all the memories of him in his prime. I have no idea how he didn't get emotional whether he was retiring or not.

Yeah, I can definitely see both sides of it.

The cheering was definitely in anticipation of him retiring, because we didn't know (and we still don't). I don't think the crowd was willing Manu towards retirement, but they also weren't going to miss an opportunity to give him a proper farewell (which is something Timmy didn't really get, at least from the AT&T crowd).

We just didn't know whether that was the last time we would see #20 on the floor. It's hard not to get emotional. And I hope Manu understands that.

That being said, the way he reacted didn't look to me like a guy who was ready to retire. He soaked in the moment, for sure...but he wasn't giving the heartfelt waves and goodbyes of someone who was leaving the game for the last time. In that moment, I think he secretly expected he would be back...so I wouldn't be surprised to see him return this season.

Clipper Nation
07-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Pretty sure he wants the Spurs' second-best playoff performer back.

Addressing the "Big 3" myth:

Spurs won three titles in five years from 2003-2007. Here's the playoff stats for all the Spurs rotation players in that time period:

http://s5.postimg.org/om3v3tvdj/Spurs_03_07.png

Tim and Manu are the only two players with:

20+ PER
6+ BPM
10+ win shares
.200+ WS/48(DRob also qualifies for this but he only played in 2003)

These two guys were dominant - by far the two best players on the team. They were pretty much the Shaq/Kobe of the Spurs. Everybody else was a role player. No idea where the big three nonsense came from. Duncan and Manu were a Big Two back then.

Phenomanul
07-04-2017, 10:39 PM
He doesn't want to see the facts...

cd98
07-04-2017, 10:41 PM
I'm thinking Manu won't sign up to be on this teAm.

Play Boban
07-04-2017, 11:10 PM
Manu to the Warriors tbh. :wow

TimDunkem
07-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Manu to the Warriors tbh. :wow
Wouldn't even mind, tbh. I've been hard on him for jerking around the Spurs every off-season, but he still comes back every year and plays hard, nonetheless....For nothing. He deserves a ring before he hangs it up.

SAGirl
07-04-2017, 11:52 PM
I don't think that will be the case this year. Our best contributors will be the younger players. I hope he comes back and by some miracle, goes out a champ. Fuck G.S.. and Steve Kerr. What they are doing is nothing we haven't seen before - just 4 years ago when the Spurs won back to back titles against the Heat. That's right, I said it.

Pop and the rest of the Spurs' coaching staff run circles around those clowns. Just gotta have the guns to prove it.

I hope you are right in your prediction tmtcsc... as well as the other optimistic prognosis.

spurs10
07-05-2017, 12:46 AM

Pop and the rest of the Spurs' coaching staff run circles around those clowns. Just gotta have the guns to prove it. Nice to read a post like this! Hell yeah let's shock the world and the bought and sold GSW.
:ihit

DMC
07-05-2017, 01:13 AM
Wouldn't even mind, tbh. I've been hard on him for jerking around the Spurs every off-season, but he still comes back every year and plays hard, nonetheless....For nothing. He deserves a ring before he hangs it up.
14m is hardly "nothing".

Fans seem to overlook the "job" aspect of the NBA players.

TimDunkem
07-05-2017, 01:15 AM
In regards to rings, obviously...

look_at_g_shred
07-05-2017, 12:23 PM

Chinook
07-05-2017, 12:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94

CGD
07-05-2017, 12:32 PM
One way or another dude needs to decide. Think it's mentally messing with FO's decision making.

ElNono
07-05-2017, 02:34 PM
One way or another dude needs to decide. Think it's mentally messing with FO's decision making.

Why? I don't think the Spurs are building their roster based on Manu...

Chinook
07-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Why? I don't think the Spurs are building their roster based on Manu...

They re-signed Patty...

ElNono
07-05-2017, 06:29 PM
They re-signed Patty...

That was surprising, but in the sense that Patty was adamant to stay instead of chasing the almighty $. Not sure that has anything to do with Manu's decision though.

Play Boban
07-05-2017, 06:57 PM
It's high time for PATFO to tell this Argentine diva to either retire or shut up. He is holding the Spurs hostage with his lack of decision-making and is dragging this out as long as possible just to fuel his own ego trip!

TheGreatYacht
07-05-2017, 06:59 PM
It's high time for PATFO to tell this Argentine diva to either retire or shut up. He is holding the Spurs hostage with his lack of decision-making and is dragging this out as long as possible just to fuel his own ego trip!

ElNono
07-05-2017, 10:03 PM

Boban

SpurPadre
07-05-2017, 10:13 PM
If we had somehow signed Durant last year, would TD have returned, thinking another title would be in the bag?

Play Boban
07-05-2017, 10:18 PM
If we had somehow signed Durant last year, would TD have returned, thinking another title would be in the bag?
Maybe Bonner would have returned as well.

Expert
04-04-2018, 01:55 AM
"Kawhi is not a leader.."

I love how some people keep saying the same shit ignoring all the things that making Kawhi a leader last season.

Of course Manu, Patty are older and more extrovert but it doesn't mean that Spurs players are looking for Mills when things go wrong...

When they needed a leader to guide them, they looked at Kawhi and he didn't let them down.

Good lord! :lmao

TheGreatYacht
04-04-2018, 07:55 AM
Austin Rivers wants you to play forever, Manu!

cd98
04-04-2018, 09:03 AM
TBH, dude cost us a nice lottery position by winning like 10-12 games for us this year.

rjv
04-04-2018, 09:25 AM
if manu has any hesitance about whether or not he should retire after this season, he can pull the video from this game. but the fact that he was still in the game late in the 4th speaks volumes of just how little talent there really is available.

UZER
04-04-2018, 10:22 AM
if manu has any hesitance about whether or not he should retire after this season, he can pull the video from this game. but the fact that he was still in the game late in the 4th speaks volumes of just how little talent there really is available.

Whether there is talent or not, he will play. Pop loves his old slippers. The only way he won’t play is if he isn’t on the team.

This franchise can’t move on as long as Manu AND Parker are on the roster.