BatManu20
06-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Or in that range.

Mal
06-30-2017, 04:54 PM
Good. Keep the guy

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Figured as much. Not an awful deal by any means. Especially when one-trick pony Green is making more currently.

apalisoc_9
06-30-2017, 04:56 PM
I just puked. 9 Million for Simmons.

I have a headache.

Dverde
06-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Danny Green needs to text LMA about his realtor's info.

Darius Bieber
06-30-2017, 04:58 PM
Too much tbh.

look_at_g_shred
Bargain

BatManu20

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Green is making more right now people...And he sucks.

Chinook
06-30-2017, 04:59 PM
If they can get him to agree to it, then they can work with his smaller cap number. Green being trade opens up a near-max slot, and certainly enough for two second-tier guys if LMA is moved.

I don't know how Simmons fits long-term unless Murray is the starter. I don't think Dejounte and Jon can play together, and Simmons and Leonard only fit if the PG is a Mills type.

Ditty
06-30-2017, 05:01 PM
That's fair. He deserves it. I bet it's a 3 year deal also.

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 05:02 PM
If they can get him to agree to it, then they can work with his smaller cap number. Green being trade opens up a near-max slot, and certainly enough for two second-tier guys if LMA is moved.

I don't know how Simmons fits long-term unless Murray is the starter. I don't think Dejounte and Jon can play together, and Simmons and Leonard only fit if the PG is a Mills type.
That's what I hope. My dream would be to move TP instead of Green...But yeah...

RD2191
06-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Good move imo

Robz4000
06-30-2017, 05:05 PM
I'm fine with it. He showed up when the Spurs needed him most in the postseason.

look_at_g_shred
06-30-2017, 05:06 PM
I'm fine with it. He showed up when the Spurs needed him most in the postseason.
Everyone seems to be forgetting that

loveforthegame
06-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Not bad really. :tu

eDizzle20
06-30-2017, 05:07 PM
I'm a Simmons fan. Only guy that showed up against GSW in game 2.

picnroll
06-30-2017, 05:11 PM
I'm on board. Also a tradeable contract if needed. Reliable three point shot away from being a very good player.

TD 21
06-30-2017, 05:11 PM

He doesn't. Unless a desperate team like Knicks or Kings gives Hill a ridiculous offer, think the plan would be to sign Hill, trade Green and start Hill and Simmons while Parker is out. If Simmons struggles with starters and Murray proves worthy of a rotation spot in that time, eventually start Parker, slide Hill to SG and move Simmons to bench. Long term, hope Murray grows into starting PG and White into backup.

06-30-2017, 05:13 PM
I mean 9 million per year isn't a lot. But rather have that cap space for next summer. Murray can pretty much do everything Simmons does. Except play 48 minutes of course.

Hoops Czar
06-30-2017, 05:13 PM

I have a headache.

Rare truthbomb.

MaNu4Tres
06-30-2017, 05:15 PM

Theyll get Simmons to verbally commit and he'll actually sign last if theres other significant FAs being signed first. With that timeline, Simmons' 9 million wont effect cap space.

AFBlue
A guy taking less than 1/10th of the available salary cap, who would likely be the first guy off the bench and long-term Manu replacement is an absolute steal tbh.

raybies
I mean 9 million per year isn't a lot. But rather have that cap space for next summer. Murray can pretty much do everything Simmons does. Except play 48 minutes of course.
and do what with it, exactly?

Hoops Czar
06-30-2017, 05:16 PM

Taking a chance on a johnny one note is risky business. He's had two sub par regular seasons and one good postseason. There's a lot at risk in terms of flexibility if it doesn't pan out.

Chinook
06-30-2017, 05:17 PM
He doesn't. Unless a desperate team like Knicks or Kings gives Hill a ridiculous offer, think the plan would be to sign Hill, trade Green and start Hill and Simmons while Parker is out. If Simmons struggles with starters and Murray proves worthy of a rotation spot in that time, eventually start Parker, slide Hill to SG and move Simmons to bench. Long term, hope Murray grows into starting PG and White into backup.

Hill is going to be one of the smaller players on the team. If the play is going to be to start him at the two, the team best move on. I don't think the plan right now is to give Tony a starting spot coming off his injury. Not trading him is one thing; signing a starting PG for big money (while trading another starter) and then bringing Tony back to start over him is another.

If the team wants a guy to come in and hold down the fort until Tony gets back, there are cheaper guys available. It already makes sense to start Murray; just sign a vet backup to hold down the other spot for a few months.

texbound
06-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Omg, NBA salaries are so out of whack it's pathetic. I love Simmons, but 9 mill per year for a fringe starter quality player? All that does is drive the price up on game tickets, concessions and everything else. Also, 45 Mill in 1 year for a 37 year old Chris Paul. Remember when David Robinson signed a 10 year / 26 Mill contract in the early 90s?

objective
06-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Smart if they can get him that cheap.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Chinook
06-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Theyll get Simmons to verbally commit and he'll actually sign last if theres other significant FAs being signed first. With that timeline, Simmons' 9 million wont effect cap space.

I said as much in the post you quoted. Of course, there's a difference between preparing an offer and agreeing to a deal. $9 Million might just be their bid, and not an amount that both sides agree on.

Ron Swanson
06-30-2017, 05:19 PM

SpursFan86
Meh, in this current market, $9 million/year for Simmons doesn't seem too unreasonable. Not thrilled about it, but don't think it's a bad move either.

BatManu20
Wait..

TimDunkem
I said as much in the post you quoted. Of course, there's a difference between preparing an offer and agreeing to a deal. $9 Million might just be their bid, and not an amount that both sides agree on.
Yep.

noles1983
He plays with passion, gives 100%. He has earned it, unlike some.

Hoops Czar
06-30-2017, 05:20 PM

What about next year's cap space?

Hoops Czar
06-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Wait..

Good for him. Dude is smarter than he looks.

MaNu4Tres
06-30-2017, 05:21 PM
What about next year's cap space?

Too many unknown variables at this point to guess.

AFBlue
06-30-2017, 05:23 PM
Omg, NBA salaries are so out of whack it's pathetic. I love Simmons, but 9 mill per year for a fringe starter quality player? All that does is drive the price up on game tickets, concessions and everything else. Also, 45 Mill in 1 year for a 37 year old Chris Paul. Remember when David Robinson signed a 10 year / 26 Mill contract in the early 90s?

The salary cap is almost $100M though. I get that it seems ridiculous, but put in context the deal should be considered a good value. It's also important to note, the increase in salaries and overall cap is largely driven by television deals...not ticket prices. I'm not saying there won't be adverse effects to increases in salary, but it's not a primary driver.

Chinook
06-30-2017, 05:24 PM
Yep.

Indeed. This was either just a way to see if they could get something done or them telling him what they're willing to pay. The Spurs have a number they'll consider too high for Simmons, and with Hanga, Blossomgame and especially White, it may not be all that high. They seem to have focused their summer-league roster on guards, and no matter how much it might seem like the UDFAs and semi-busts have no shot, they pretty much grabbed Simmons out of nowhere too. Can't fall too in love with him.

nyspurguy
06-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Too much tbh.

I think Simmons could get more in the open market. $9million is great if Spurs can swing it. If I'm J-SIMMONS, I'm looking for 3 years $45million.

loveforthegame
06-30-2017, 05:30 PM
If he wants more than that good luck playing elsewhere.

DPG21920
06-30-2017, 05:30 PM
Figured as much. Not an awful deal by any means. Especially when one-trick pony Green is making more currently.

What the? Danny's defense >>>> Simmons. Danny's 3-PT shooting>>>> Simmons.

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 05:31 PM
What the? Danny's defense >>>> Simmons. Danny's 3-PT shooting>>>> Simmons.
Danny's D isn't THAT much better and I prefer Simmons ability to make plays. No more 4 on 5 offensively, please.

rjv
06-30-2017, 05:31 PM
young has said all along that the spurs FO had a 50/50 shot of keeping simmons. this offer is basically letting Simmons know this is as high as they will go. if any other team offers more and he takes it above all else then the spurs will not offer.

Russ
06-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Simmons is good friends with Kawhi (somewhat similar backgrounds).

Keeping Simmons makes sense for a lot of reasons.

TD 21
06-30-2017, 05:32 PM
Hill is going to be one of the smaller players on the team. If the play is going to be to start him at the two, the team best move on. I don't think the plan right now is to give Tony a starting spot coming off his injury. Not trading him is one thing; signing a starting PG for big money (while trading another starter) and then bringing Tony back to start over him is another.

If the team wants a guy to come in and hold down the fort until Tony gets back, there are cheaper guys available. It already makes sense to start Murray; just sign a vet backup to hold down the other spot for a few months.

Hill is 6'2'' with a 6'9'' wingspan. Bradley is 6'2'' with a 6'6'' wingspan. Of course, it's not ideal, but you can't have everything. If Hill-Parker start and play limited minutes together for 1 and 1/2 seasons to break up Murray-Simmons back court, is end result of upgrading from Green to Hill and getting an '18 1st, so be it.

Again, a lot of variables. If Murray isn't ready and Simmons is fine with starters (maybe he would be alongside a PG like Hill), Parker would come off bench.

If Murray is starting, they can't continue to say with a straight face that they're trying to contend for the championship.

Hoops Czar
06-30-2017, 05:34 PM
young has said all along that the spurs FO had a 50/50 shot of keeping simmons. this offer is basically letting Simmons know this is as high as they will go. if any other team offers more and he takes it above all else then the spurs will not offer.
No it's not. :lol

Russ
06-30-2017, 05:37 PM

Spurs leaking a 9 million offer could be a preemptive PR ploy.

That way, if Simmons leaves it looks like the Spurs tried and Simmons was just greedy (see Pop and Vinny Del Negro a few years back).

(Info isn't released by the secretive Spurs unless they have a reason to let it out.)

RD2191
06-30-2017, 05:38 PM
If he wants more than that good luck playing elsewhere.

Agreed

r0drig0lac
06-30-2017, 05:42 PM

Leetonidas
06-30-2017, 05:45 PM
Meh. I think this is fair. He is one of the few players who stepped up and played with balls in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2017, 05:46 PM
9/year would be a great deal with high value potential, tbh..it's bench player money, at this point, and it would eliminate the risk of paying Simmons solely based on 2 weeks of good playoff basketball(his only good stretch in a Spurs uniform in 2 years)..look at the $ guys like Allen Crabbe received, last off-season, for example..

If I'm Simmons, I take all the money I can get, though..he has potential, but again, he's getting paid based on 2 weeks of basketball, following consecutive Regular Seasons where he fell out of the rotation by the end of the year..if a team is going to give you huge $ based on a 2-week stretch you may never replicate again, take it and run..

Leetonidas
06-30-2017, 05:46 PM
Worse comes to worse he becomes an extremely tradeable contract

TimDunkem
06-30-2017, 05:49 PM
9/year would be a great deal, tbh..it's bench player money, at this point, and it would eliminate the risk of paying Simmons solely based on 2 weeks of good playoff basketball(his only good stretch in a Spurs uniform in 2 years)..look at the $ guys like Allen Crabbe received, last off-season, for example..

If I'm Simmons, I take all the money I can get, though..he has potential, but again, he's getting paid based on 2 weeks of basketball, following consecutive Regular Seasons where he fell out of the rotation by the end of the year..if a team is going to give you huge $ based on a stretch you may never replicate again, take it and run..
Some guys come into their own in the big moments which was a good sign for him, although it's obviously no guarantee that he sustains it...He definitely outplayed Danny in just about every single way against the Rockets AND Warriors.

Chinook
06-30-2017, 05:49 PM
Hill is 6'2'' with a 6'9'' wingspan. Bradley is 6'2'' with a 6'6'' wingspan. Of course, it's not ideal, but you can't have everything. If Hill-Parker start and play limited minutes together for 1 and 1/2 seasons to break up Murray-Simmons back court, is end result of upgrading from Green to Hill and getting an '18 1st, so be it.

Draymond is 6-7 in shoes. Doesn't mean every short and stocky guy can play the five. More importantly, the Celtics got killed defensively last year when Bradley was on the court. The team certainly doesn't need to start that.

I can understand argument that getting a long-term solution at PG is worth Green. I can't get behind Hill at the two being an upgrade to Green. It's really not. The "Dark Ages" for the team were signified by three things in my mind: RJ, Turd Towers, Hill playing the wing.

Again, a lot of variables. If Murray isn't ready and Simmons is fine with starters (maybe he would be alongside a PG like Hill), Parker would come off bench.

If Parker is in the plans, then Hill doesn't make sense. You sign Hill or any of the other PGs for big contracts, you're getting a starter. Maybe I could see saying that Hill was the new sixth man or something. But not the starting two. There are better options (including just not signing Hill) out there.

If Murray is starting, they can't continue to say with a straight face that they're trying to contend for the championship.

The Spurs can go a year like that to clean their books. They don't need to do everything in their power to get marginally better every year. No one but Cleveland can do that, and even they are about to hit a wall. The Spurs didn't keep a title window open for more than two decades by treating every year like it was do or die.

objective
06-30-2017, 05:51 PM
9 million is barely more than the mle, and he's easily worth that as a rotation wing and opens up the moving of Green should they need it

baseline bum
06-30-2017, 05:52 PM
$9 million starting would be a fair offer. So something like 4 years, $39 million. If Simmons can get more, like say 4 years, $45 million it would be a much tougher call. I do think Simmons will get an offer tonight from someone and it would be stupid for him to not agree to an offer sheet while the market is hot. I wouldn't hold it against him if he did, as much as I want to see him back in a Spurs uniform. He has worked hard for this day and he deserves to go get his money. Hopefully the Spurs will find a way to be that team.

objective
06-30-2017, 05:54 PM

That way, if Simmons leaves it looks like the Spurs tried and Simmons was just greedy (see Pop and Vinny Del Negro a few years back).

(Info isn't released by the secretive Spurs unless they have a reason to let it out.)

Yeah, they put it out there to let teams know that they'll pay the first 2 years of an Arenas RFA deal no problem. If any one else thinks they can scare the Spurs off cheap, they just were corrected.

baseline bum
06-30-2017, 05:56 PM
9 million is barely more than the mle, and he's easily worth that as a rotation wing and opens up the moving of Green should they need it

It actually sounds like it is the MLE they're offering. Four years starting at the $8.4 million MLE with 4.5% raises would be just under 4 years, $36 million.

Mr. Body
06-30-2017, 05:59 PM
Danny Green's deal is a freakin' bargain.

TD 21
06-30-2017, 06:00 PM
Draymond is 6-7 in shoes. Doesn't mean every short and stocky guy can play the five. More importantly, the Celtics got killed defensively last year when Bradley was on the court. The team certainly doesn't need to start that.

I can understand argument that getting a long-term solution at PG is worth Green. I can't get behind Hill at the two being an upgrade to Green. It's really not. The "Dark Ages" for the team were signified by three things in my mind: RJ, Turd Towers, Hill playing the wing.

If Parker is in the plans, then Hill doesn't make sense. You sign Hill or any of the other PGs for big contracts, you're getting a starter. Maybe I could see saying that Hill was the new sixth man or something. But not the starting two. There are better options (including just not signing Hill) out there.

The Spurs can go a year like that to clean their books. They don't need to do everything in their power to get marginally better every year. No one but Cleveland can do that, and even they are about to hit a wall. The Spurs didn't keep a title window open for more than two decades by treating every year like it was do or die.

No, but Hill and Bradley have same body type too. It's not like Bradley is any more stout. Green has a unique build.

Fair enough.

If in 2 years time or less, Hill and Murray are starting together, they could both defend SG's. Think you're getting too caught up in outdated positional designations.

They could run it back and they very well might, but I don't want to hear anything about contending then, because they wouldn't even be trying to . . . and as always from someone in the don't do anything camp, no actual '18 plan; just vague statements.

Chinook
06-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Should be $37.632M/4 for a full MLE-based offer for Simmons. Dude's eligible for eight-percent raises from his EB rights.

Namundy
06-30-2017, 06:17 PM
Fair offer. He can get more obviously but he knows why he's in the NBA right now. Any other organization would not have given him this opportunity. He's a smart dude and either way he's going to be able to take care of them girls so good for him.

Play Boban
06-30-2017, 06:18 PM

I have a headache.

CGD
06-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Great value. Also makes a team that wants to offer a poison pill offer think twice about that balloon payment in year 3.

ducks
06-30-2017, 06:34 PM
I thought he wanted a 2 year deal and then be 29 and sign a big deal then

Spurs9
06-30-2017, 06:44 PM
Thats fair, I like it, he will keep improving. Dude showed way more energy than Gasol/LMA.

urunobili
06-30-2017, 07:14 PM
Deserved pay day

SpurOutofTownFan
06-30-2017, 07:19 PM
This can only be good if he's going to start - otherwise it's just a bad play. Does it also mean Green is gone? Perhaps

Mugen
06-30-2017, 07:22 PM
I hope Brooklyn throws 12mil/year at him tbh.

AFBlue
06-30-2017, 07:24 PM
Whatever Kent Bazemore got last year is probably in the neighborhood of what he'll be offered.

mudyez
06-30-2017, 07:29 PM
Fair deal. Hope he stays.

BackHome
06-30-2017, 07:31 PM
Good for him. Dude is smarter than he looks.

No his AGENT is smarter then his looks.

Robz4000
06-30-2017, 07:39 PM
Taking a chance on a johnny one note is risky business. He's had two sub par regular seasons and one good postseason. There's a lot at risk in terms of flexibility if it doesn't pan out.

Better than giving that money to Gasol or some other TOSB imo (even though they're prolly gonna do it anyway).

Hoops Czar
06-30-2017, 07:41 PM
Better than giving that money to Gasol or some other TOSB imo (even though they're prolly gonna do it anyway).

Bingo!!!

tmtcsc
06-30-2017, 07:43 PM
Spurs should bluff the league and let it be known that they will match any offer for Simmons....and NOT fucking do it. Keep that dumb mother fucker in the 2 to 3 million per range. 9 is way too much.

DesignatedT
06-30-2017, 08:03 PM
Doubtful Simmons agrees early. He's gunna put the Spurs in a tough spot if he drags this out... which could ultimately land him on a worse Spurs team if they aren't able to maneuver early this free agency without a handshake in place with him.

HarlemHeat37
06-30-2017, 08:03 PM
I'm not the biggest Simmons fan, but I don't know what some of you are mad about, tbh:lol

Look at the salaries of similar wings who signed, last off-season:

Kent Bazemore- 16 mil
Clarkson- 12.5 mil
Luol Deng(finished, but for example) -18 mil
Evan Turner- 16 mil
Afflalo- 12.5 mil
Jamal Crawford- 15 mil
Austin Rivers- 11
Allen Crabbe- 18.5

Granted, the salary cap was expected to drop and last off-season was a bit of an anomaly, but still..

DesignatedT
06-30-2017, 08:06 PM
Keeping Simmons cap hold intact and then signing him at the end of free agency is a no brainer. Especially if you plan on getting rid of Green. Hope he agrees to stay so the Spurs can operate fully knowing he's gunna be there to sign after all the chips fall. At that point I don't really care if it's for $8 or $12.

AFBlue
06-30-2017, 08:09 PM
I'm not the biggest Simmons fan, but I don't know what some of you are mad about, tbh:lol

Kent Bazemore- 16 mil
Clarkson- 12.5 mil
Evan Turner- 16 mil
Afflalo- 12.5 mil
Jamal Crawford- 15 mil
Austin Rivers- 11
Allen Crabbe- 18.5

Granted, the salary cap was expected to drop and last off-season was a bit of an anomaly, but still..

Someone will offer him Bazemore money. And if he gets $6-7M/yr more than the Spurs offer, he'd be insane not to take it.

gambit1990
06-30-2017, 08:30 PM
Fair offer. He can get more obviously but he knows why he's in the NBA right now. Any other organization would not have given him this opportunity. He's a smart dude and either way he's going to be able to take care of them girls so good for him.

SpursBig3s
06-30-2017, 08:30 PM

I have a headache.

it's 2017 bro. everything is too much. Better get with it bc it's not changing anytime soon

tmtcsc
06-30-2017, 08:32 PM

Kent Bazemore- 16 mil
Clarkson- 12.5 mil
Evan Turner- 16 mil
Afflalo- 12.5 mil
Jamal Crawford- 15 mil
Austin Rivers- 11
Allen Crabbe- 18.5

https://media.tenor.com/images/0a4f3a8c6a64f71e726924746fb5c8ab/tenor.gif

Similar wings? Every one of those players have more experience than Jonathan Simmons, were most likely drafted, in some cases won sixth man of the year. WTF has Simmons ever done to earn anywhere near that kind of money? Besides, some of those contracts were ridiculous and the respective teams probably regret signing them.

Nah man, dude made under 1 million last season because thats who he was and what he was worth. He outplayed it, but lets not get crazy. In no fucking way is he worth 9 million dollars a season. I'd rather have Mills get that money than Simmons & I like Simmons. Holy shit, this salary stuff is out of control.

therealtruth
06-30-2017, 08:53 PM
He competes so we need more guys like him.

SpursforSix
06-30-2017, 09:16 PM
Thats fair, I like it, he will keep improving. Dude showed way more energy than Gasol/LMA.

I like Simmons but could you set the bar any lower? Bonner showed more energy last season than LMA/Gasol.

MannyIsGod
06-30-2017, 10:08 PM
Spurs should bluff the league and let it be known that they will match any offer for Simmons....and NOT fucking do it. Keep that dumb mother fucker in the 2 to 3 million per range. 9 is way too much.

LOL.

99 Problems
06-30-2017, 10:14 PM
JSim for 9 or an Olapido type contract for 20/21m. 9 is OK by me.

Ice009
06-30-2017, 10:49 PM
Nah man, dude made under 1 million last season because thats who he was and what he was worth. He outplayed it, but lets not get crazy. In no fucking way is he worth 9 million dollars a season. I'd rather have Mills get that money than Simmons & I like Simmons. Holy shit, this salary stuff is out of control.

Um say what to back to yourself. You and I have a completely different opinion on Mills and Simmons. I wouldn't give Mills even 3 million dollars, but I would be OK with giving Simmons 9 million based on his defense alone over Patty.

I thought he wanted a 2 year deal and then be 29 and sign a big deal then

I think this would be a smarter move for himself if he believes in his ability to improve. Two more years learning and improving with the Spurs could make him a much better player that can get an even bigger payday when he's 29. That would be a smart move on his part if he believes he can turn himself into a better player by sticking with the Spurs a bit longer.

tmtcsc
06-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Um say what to back to yourself. You and I have a completely different opinion on Mills and Simmons. I wouldn't give Mills even 3 million dollars, but I would be OK with giving Simmons 9 million based on his defense alone over Patty.

Based on Simmons' potential? He averaged 6.2 pts and 2 rebounds per game in nearly 18 minutes of game time.

tmtcsc
06-30-2017, 11:05 PM
Mills had a hard time getting his shot off with Klay Thompson guarding him. Who doesn't? My hope is that Mills gets to go back to his role of shooting and not being a distributor. He is NOT a pg.

SilverSpur
06-30-2017, 11:13 PM
This will look so much better when someone offers him 12 mil and he turns it down because the Spurs are the ones who gave him his shot and he will be grateful and loyal. This is where he needs to be to continue to grow and with Kawhi there as the biggest example of how the Spurs develope players.
I bet Gary Neal, Derek Brown, Beno Udrich wish they had stayed. George Hill has said he wants to come back Cory Jospeh got paid to be stuck in Toronto but got his start in San Antonio. Nando DeColo was developing nicely, but we had too many guards then.
If Simmons leaves, he will be expected to be a finished product, here it's known he's still developing.
I expect Simmons to sign here.

100%duncan
07-01-2017, 12:04 AM
9 a year is a steal even considering his inconsistency with how many scrubs are getting paid today. That said, if he wants more then he should go get it from other teams.

DAF86
07-01-2017, 12:47 PM
Now that would be the cherry on the top of this shit cake. :lmao

ceperez
07-01-2017, 01:31 PM
I can't believe that early last season, a lot of you folks were proclaiming Simmons as a complete bust.

Now we are worried about having to pay more than $9m?

I was worried day one that we signed him up only for a 2 year contract.

Raven
07-01-2017, 02:09 PM
i wouldn't consider that a steal on any level, but it's an acceptable sum of money.

PublicOption
07-01-2017, 10:09 PM
9 million for a dwade type player.....steal

Hoops Czar
07-01-2017, 10:28 PM
https://media.tenor.com/images/0a4f3a8c6a64f71e726924746fb5c8ab/tenor.gif

Similar wings? Every one of those players have more experience than Jonathan Simmons, were most likely drafted, in some cases won sixth man of the year. WTF has Simmons ever done to earn anywhere near that kind of money? Besides, some of those contracts were ridiculous and the respective teams probably regret signing them.

Harlem like to be melodramatic. All of those players he mentioned for comparison sake have proven themselves in one way or another. Simmons got him self a $9M qualifying offer because he had a good 2 week stretch in the playoffs leading up to free agency, rather than the sub par player he's been for the past two full seasons.

Hoops Czar
07-01-2017, 10:30 PM
9 million for a dwade type player.....steal

He's got that D-Wade swag but not a pinky's worth the talent.

AaronY
07-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Do not want.

cutewizard
07-02-2017, 08:15 AM
:bobo

tholdren
07-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Second paragraph is complete nonsense. Agree with the first. Stick to salary stuff and boycot player evals. You go from stephen hawking to harlem heat in one post.

robert1886
07-02-2017, 01:31 PM
People need to realize that salaries are not the same as they were just a few years ago. Your middle of the road players are going to be making a crap ton because of the new cap. And rivers getting 11 mil was stupid dude sucks.

TimDunkem
07-02-2017, 01:33 PM
^Well, he did tear Fatty Mills a new asshole back in 2015.

FuzzyLumpkins
07-02-2017, 01:37 PM
People need to realize that salaries are not the same as they were just a few years ago. Your middle of the road players are going to be making a crap ton because of the new cap. And rivers getting 11 mil was stupid dude sucks.

Yeah the CBA with the cap and amx contracts does a really good job taking care of the NBA middle class.

tholdren
07-02-2017, 01:39 PM
He's got that D-Wade swag but not a pinky's worth the talent.

Iman shumpert is in the league tbh. That makes simmons look like jordan. Todays nba...

Taking it to the Hole
07-02-2017, 07:04 PM
He earned it to be honest. Simmons needs to still improve on a lot but the guy goes out and plays hard. I just hope he continues to play hard now that he has his payday.

Big Empty
07-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Double wammy. Had Kawhi not gotten hurt we woulda been able to re-sign Simmons for 2/3 million. One series made this guy an extra 20 million over 3 or 4 years ha During the regular season he couldnt hit any shots.

Hoops Czar
07-02-2017, 07:56 PM
It's hard to believe this 2 week wonder has RC's balls in a vice grip. He literally can't make a move until this scrub comes to terms one way or another. :lol

DPG21920
07-02-2017, 08:31 PM
It's hard to believe this 2 week wonder has RC's balls in a vice grip. He literally can't make a move until this scrub comes to terms one way or another. :lol

That's not true at all. Simmons has no bearing on any potential moves really.

illusioNtEk
07-02-2017, 08:40 PM
If we don't lock this nigga up, this will be the worst off season to the greatest offseason of all time.

SpurOutofTownFan
07-02-2017, 08:51 PM

I honestly don't see the Spurs paying more than 9 mil in this case. There are still other players at play so we'll see.

DeRozan m8
07-02-2017, 08:57 PM
This is awesome.

Dude showed up when it mattered, and with consistent minutes can hopefully tighten his game up and then he'll be gold.

Start Simmons tbh

BackHome
He earned it to be honest. Simmons needs to still improve on a lot but the guy goes out and plays hard. I just hope he continues to play hard now that he has his payday.

He has two good games against Houston don't get me wrong I like him but for the 13th 14th roster spot

DeRozan m8
He has two good games against Houston don't get me wrong I like him but for the 13th 14th roster spot

So you didn't watch the Warrior series.

Cool

houston spurs fan
07-02-2017, 09:01 PM
Kings could offer the max

Spurtacular
07-02-2017, 09:03 PM
I honestly can go either way with him going or staying. I'm glad to hear his contract apparently won't be a back breaker down the road.

Wu36
07-02-2017, 09:36 PM
Can't OJ Mayo come back now! Do it RC... shoulda been blue sorry

Hoops Czar
07-02-2017, 09:38 PM
That's not true at all. Simmons has no bearing on any potential moves really.

Sure he does. The Spurs have no idea how much it's going to cost to lock him up. Budget conscious RC is probably already dreading the cost this nigg might pay out at. If he signs elsewhere, they'll have another hole on the roster to fill in which they'll have to allocate an uncertain amount of funds toward another player. This isn't one of those low risk/high reward signings. It has the potential to be an absolute disaster.

Another team with cap space could easily sign Simmons for a lot more money and write it off as rebuilding and tanking for the draft lottery. The Spurs don't have that luxury. He could destroy their future cap flexibility for the next couple of years. Worst of all, he's going to make a lot more money than he's worth if his last two regular seasons are any indication so there's no doubt he's going to the highest bidder because there's a chance he won't sniff this kind of money again. Unless RC drew a hard line at $9M, he's waiting on a Simmons.

SAGirl
07-02-2017, 09:53 PM
Frankly I hope RC drew a hard line, but I doubt it. It looks to me like they are waiting for him and may match within reason. Simmons may be waiting for some teams he has talked to in turn to have their first options disappear... like Sacramento offering a max deal to Otto Porter. Sacramento was one of the teams Simmons was getting interest from.

GSH
07-02-2017, 10:14 PM
If ever a player was justified in getting the best payday he can, it's Simmons. Hell, the guy had to PAY for a chance to try out, and he did everything asked of him. If someone wants him more than the Spurs, he earned that. Ultimately I think he's here this season, and playing with confidence. We could do worse.

DPG21920
07-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Sure he does. The Spurs have no idea how much it's going to cost to lock him up. Budget conscious RC is probably already dreading the cost this nigg might pay out at. If he signs elsewhere, they'll have another hole on the roster to fill in which they'll have to allocate an uncertain amount of funds toward another player. This isn't one of those low risk/high reward signings. It has the potential to be an absolute disaster.

Another team with cap space could easily sign Simmons for a lot more money and write it off as rebuilding and tanking for the draft lottery. The Spurs don't have that luxury. He could destroy their future cap flexibility for the next couple of years. Worst of all, he's going to make a lot more money than he's worth if his last two regular seasons are any indication so there's no doubt he's going to the highest bidder because there's a chance he won't sniff this kind of money again. Unless RC drew a hard line at $9M, he's waiting on a Simmons.

That's not at all how it works with Simmons.

raybies
07-02-2017, 11:45 PM
That's not at all how it works with Simmons.
Educate us. I'm interested

raybies
07-02-2017, 11:51 PM

south side spur
07-03-2017, 12:06 AM
Are the Hawks really a threat to sign Simmons though? They already have Bazemore under contract at $17 mil, Belinelli, and their draft pick Prince. They also have to re-sign Hardaway Jr and Ilyasova. Both of those guys should take up the majority of that supposed cap space.

Budkin
07-03-2017, 12:10 AM
Good. We need to keep this guy.

DPG21920
07-03-2017, 08:23 AM
Educate us. I'm interested

It's nothing revelatory; he's a restricted free agent for one. He also has a very small cap hold in place (1.7M IIRC). So under any scenario (either SA going after a big free agent, smaller free agent or staying over the cap and using the MLE) he does not dictate anything.

Spurs can match offers while keeping his cap hold on the books, they can renounce him if they needed the extra money for a bigger free agent or they could agree to terms with him and wait to sign him.

buttsR4rebounding
07-04-2017, 11:34 AM
Evidently the Knicks have reached out to the Spurs regarding Simmons. I guess for a sign-and-trade of some type. And please nobody say Simmons for Porzigod.

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/882104612525928449

itzsoweezee
07-04-2017, 11:42 AM
Evidently the Knicks have reached out to the Spurs regarding Simmons. I guess for a sign-and-trade of some type. And please nobody say Simmons for Porzigod.

Do the salary restrictions not apply in a sign and trade situation?

SPURt
07-04-2017, 11:42 AM

Looking at that roster yikes. Spurs are gonna end up reuniting Ron Baker and Cleanthony Early

Nathan89
07-04-2017, 11:43 AM

That's not what the tweet means. It should be read as "Knicks reach out to Spurs player Jonathon Simmons". They aren't reaching out to the team.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-04-2017, 11:55 AM
Golden State offering Crawford the MLE and we are worrying about overpaying Simmons. F me.

KDKSpurs24
07-04-2017, 11:58 AM
That's not what the tweet means. It should be read as "Knicks reach out to Spurs player Jonathon Simmons". They aren't reaching out to the team.
Exactly.

Ice009
07-04-2017, 12:09 PM
Golden State offering Crawford the MLE and we are worrying about overpaying Simmons. F me.

What, they're going after Jamal Crawford now too?

buttsR4rebounding
07-04-2017, 12:09 PM

If so, my bad. Thanks. You'd think someone who actually writes for a living would have a little better command of the language.