PDA

View Full Version : How many potential 50 win teams are there in the West in 2017-18?

UNT Eagles 2016
07-02-2017, 03:09 PM
Last year was the worst year for the West playoff picture, top to bottom, this century. The 8th seed was what... 41-41? When's the last time THAT happened in the West?

But is 2018, despite all the media hype, shaping up to be significantly better?

- Warriors
- Spurs
- Rockets
- OKC

are locks for 50+ wins, barring serious injury. Meanwhile, the Clippers are going to be dreadful. Pacific division in general... yikes. Like the AFC East of the NBA.

- Grizzlies
- Timberwolves
- Jazz (assuming they keep Hayward)

also have a better than even shot at 50...

That's 7. We know 4 Pacific teams and Dallas are going to be terrible. So who's left?

Pelicans? Chicken Nuggets?

That 8-seed still looks mighty weak.

GSH
07-02-2017, 03:30 PM
A lot of that will have to do with Eastern Conference matchups. Intra-conference games in the West are going to be a bloodbath. The top 3-4 WC teams aren't going to have any trouble reaching 50 W's. Any others will have to probably have to win 23-24 games against EC teams.

At the end of the day, 5 WC teams won 50+ games last season. Out of last year's five, GSW, Hou, and SA will; OKC will and Utah won't. (Maybe Utah, if they keep Hayward - but I think they probably lose him.) I don't see Minny jumping to 50 wins, no matter that people are saying they had a tremendous offseason. So four teams, with 2-3 more clustered at 47-49.

UNT Eagles 2016
07-02-2017, 04:15 PM
A lot of that will have to do with Eastern Conference matchups. Intra-conference games in the West are going to be a bloodbath. The top 3-4 WC teams aren't going to have any trouble reaching 50 W's. Any others will have to probably have to win 23-24 games against EC teams.

At the end of the day, 5 WC teams won 50+ games last season. Out of last year's five, GSW, Hou, and SA will; OKC will and Utah won't. (Maybe Utah, if they keep Hayward - but I think they probably lose him.) I don't see Minny jumping to 50 wins, no matter that people are saying they had a tremendous offseason. So four teams, with 2-3 more clustered at 47-49.

Who is the darkhorse for the 8th seed though? I see the Pacific division being historically bad if you take off the top team.