PDA

View Full Version : Whats the hold up on Simmons??

davi78239
07-04-2017, 09:41 PM
I feel like everyone else is making all these damn moves, coming to decisions and here we are at a stand still.

sasaint
07-04-2017, 09:44 PM
It takes time for the big ones. Simmons will be our big FA signing this summer.

noles1983
07-04-2017, 09:45 PM

:lol

cjw
07-04-2017, 09:48 PM
No news on Simmons is good news. No offer sheet yet.

Hoops Czar
07-04-2017, 09:48 PM

cd98
07-04-2017, 09:49 PM

Why are you laughing? Simmons had 4 good regular season games and a few good playoff games in a losing cause. Keeping him is yuge.

noles1983
07-04-2017, 09:51 PM
Why are you laughing? Simmons had 4 good regular season games and a few good playoff games in a losing cause. Keeping him is yuge.

By all means, be stoked that our big FA signings are re-signing 2 of our fucking own.

cd98
07-04-2017, 09:55 PM
By all means, be stoked that our big FA signings are re-signing 2 of our fucking own.

I'm excited to give a guy that had 4 good games for us a big raise. I'm expecting more of the same next year.

BackHome
07-04-2017, 09:57 PM
yippie..yippie.

ducks
07-04-2017, 10:00 PM
Money dries up he signs 2 year deal or longer deal 9 million a year

sasaint
07-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Money dries up he signs 2 year deal or longer deal 9 million a year

I hope he plays like an $18MM dollar man.

Ice009
07-04-2017, 10:06 PM
I hope he signs a 3 year deal with an opt out for the 3rd year or a team option, or partial guarantee on that 3rd year (the latter two being optimal). That way he can have another shot at a really big payday before he's 30.

cd98
07-04-2017, 10:06 PM
I hope he plays like an $18MM dollar man.

He will in 4-5 games next season.

sasaint
07-04-2017, 10:08 PM
He will in 4-5 games next season.

I am more optimistic than you. I expect much greater consistency - probably not $18MM worth!

coachmac87
07-04-2017, 10:15 PM
Do y'all think Spurs/Simmons waiting on Manu decision?? Yeah we'd like to think he'd take less money and a reduced role...but we also can't fool ourselves..

I've been stating on this board for years about Simmons being the real deal...he should have Manu's old role playing 25-30min being the lead guard off the bench.. but with Manu unknown learking seems to have a cloud over the whole thing

tholdren
07-04-2017, 10:16 PM
Do y'all think Spurs/Simmons waiting on Manu decision?? Yeah we'd like to think he'd take less money and a reduced role...but we also can't fool ourselves..

I've been stating on this board for years on this board about Simmons being the real deal...he should have Manu's old role playing 25-30min being the lead guard off the bench.. but with Manu unknown learking seems to have a cloud over the whole thing i do not

AFBlue
07-04-2017, 10:20 PM
Simmons is probably Plan B for at least a few teams, so the Hayward domino falling likely means news on that front in the next couple days.

The Spurs offered him before free agency began, and he smartly decided to test the market. I wouldn't be surprised if someone swoops in with a $15M/yr offer, but I'm glad it's shaking out the way it is. Hope he's back at $9M/yr with the Spurs when all is said and done.

coachmac87
07-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Simmons is probably Plan B for at least a few teams, so the Hayward domino falling likely means news on that front in the next couple days.

The Spurs offered him before free agency began, and he smartly decided to test the market. I wouldn't be surprised if someone swoops in with a $15M/yr offer, but I'm glad it's shaking out the way it is. Hope he's back at $9M/yr with the Spurs when all is said and done.

I don't think it's safe to say the Spurs offered him anything yet...just seems to be rumored they'd match the MLE (9M) but that number could even shrink if he can't get anything significant.

Ice009
07-04-2017, 10:26 PM
I don't think it's safe to say the Spurs offered him anything yet...just seems to be rumored they'd match the MLE (9M) but that number could even shrink if he can't get anything significant.

I hope the Spurs didn't put a contract offer in like with Mills and find out his market is less.

coachmac87
07-04-2017, 10:29 PM
I hope the Spurs didn't put a contract offer in like with Mills and find out his market is less.

Retaining Mills at 12.5M was Plan B and honestly not a bad one tbh..

Down Under
07-04-2017, 10:34 PM
Need to sign Milutinov first. Simmons is still a massive gamble. 2 weeks of good ball in 2 years & he's jumper still looks shaky.

Hoops Czar
07-04-2017, 10:41 PM
Need to sign Milutinov first. Simmons is still a massive gamble. 2 weeks of good ball in 2 years & he's jumper still looks shaky.
If Simmons is shaky (I agree), what does that make Milutinov who's never a minute of NBA basketball?

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2017, 11:01 PM
Better than Fathead

TheGreatYacht
07-04-2017, 11:03 PM
If Simmons is shaky (I agree), what does that make Milutinov who's never a minute of NBA basketball?
Hey hey hey bro. Milutinov just finished a season in Greece averaging 5 points and 3 rebounds.

He's a RC Buford first round pick. Haven't you heard that guy only drafts steals of the draft?

Hoops Czar
07-04-2017, 11:12 PM
Hey hey hey bro. Milutinov just finished a season in Greece averaging 5 points and 3 rebounds.

He's a RC Buford first round pick. Haven't you heard that guy only drafts steals of the draft?

Nobody better be complaining about empty seats at San Antonio home games this year. :lol

AFBlue
07-04-2017, 11:12 PM

I think it's part of their exit meeting to talk contract with each of the free agents if they're willing to discuss it. They clearly had the conversation with Pau and Patty. No reason to logically think they passed on the convo with Simmons. But Simmons wants to test the market, and that makes sense. Not saying I'm certain that's the situation, but it's logical.

steeledl
07-04-2017, 11:13 PM
All you niggas gonna hate him once he makes real money. I wont.. that dude persevered.

Down Under
07-04-2017, 11:15 PM
Cheaper & filling a need (dive man who can defend) we desperately need if we're going to get back to playing less ISO ball. As I said before, we could take a flier on Tiago as well as he could be had for minimum given he's been chronically injured the last couple of seasons. His body could be cactus though.

AFBlue
07-04-2017, 11:15 PM
All you niggas gonna hate him once he makes real money. I wont.. that dude persevered.

Nah, not me. He gave everything he had to the Spurs, never quit or even let up. I would love him back in the Silver and Black, but if he gets paid ridiculous money there's no hate coming from my way.

steeledl
07-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Nah, not me. He gave everything he had to the Spurs, never quit or even let up. I would love him back in the Silver and Black, but if he gets paid ridiculous money there's no hate coming from my way.

I think he ends up back with us at around 9 or 10 per. Im fine with that.

What I mean, is anytime he has a bad game everyone is going to turn on him when his contract gets larger. He was easy to like making less than a mil. Now, if he isn't an allstar he will be trash to everyone on here. He wont be the best player making 10 per year..... but he wont be the worst either because of effort.

Hoops Czar
07-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Cheaper & filling a need (dive man who can defend) we desperately need if we're going to get back to playing less ISO ball. As I said before, we could take a flier on Tiago as well as he could be had for minimum given he's been chronically injured the last couple of seasons. His body could be cactus though.

Don't tell that to Golden State or he'll be snatched up too.

Down Under
07-04-2017, 11:26 PM
God, it seems like that atm doesn't it. Although they did have to bid for the Bell draft which we wouldn't have been able to compete with.

nyspurguy
07-05-2017, 12:15 AM
I'd like to see J-Simmons at the starting 2 guard spot, playing 30+minutes.

raybies
07-05-2017, 12:16 AM
I'd like to see J-Simmons at the starting 2 guard spot, playing 30+minutes.
if Mills starts I agree. If Murray starts, I'd like Green there

nyspurguy
07-05-2017, 12:28 AM
I wanna see Murray start and play 30+mpg. I wanna see Simmons start and play 30+mpg. I wanna see Bertans start and play 30+mpg.

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 12:39 AM
I wanna see Murray start and play 30+mpg. I wanna see Simmons start and play 30+mpg. I wanna see Bertans start and play 30+mpg.

that is probably too much to ask, two of those are in the summer league and doing none too well... but I can't blame a Spur fan for asking.
I want to see Kyle be a regular rotation player.

Trainwreck2100
07-05-2017, 12:40 AM
teams were waiting for Hayward to make a decision on lower guys. He probably has been waiting on offers

DeRozan m8
07-05-2017, 05:16 AM
Simmons will win MIP tbh

hooperflash
07-05-2017, 05:26 AM
They love Zaza tbh

jermaine
07-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Nigga fuck around an not get shit!!

jermaine
07-05-2017, 06:39 AM
I understand he made a lil name for himself.... But the Spurs have his ass a chance even after he fucked it off... Now he's tryna be greedy... I pray that ain't the case an Pop just told him get as much as he can.

Ice009
07-05-2017, 09:28 AM
I understand he made a lil name for himself.... But the Spurs have his ass a chance even after he fucked it off... Now he's tryna be greedy... I pray that ain't the case an Pop just told him get as much as he can.

I was talking to a friend about this the other day. I do believe Simmons owes the Spurs a little bit of loyalty. Do you guys agree with that?

The Spurs gave him this chance and I feel he needs to give them a chance if the money is close. If another team offers him way more than the Spurs are willing to offer and he leaves, OK, that is cool, but if the money is close, say 1-2 million apart, then I really do believe the owes it to the Spurs to show some loyalty. He'd be a nobody if he signed with most other teams. I mean, he never would have played in the WCSF or WCF to show what he can do on that stage if he had of signed with almost any other team. I believe he owes the Spurs a hometown discount if the contract offers are close.

MaNu4Tres
07-05-2017, 09:37 AM
I was talking to a friend about this the other day. I do believe Simmons owes the Spurs a little bit of loyalty. Do you guys agree with that?

The Spurs gave him this chance and I feel he needs to give them a chance if the money is close. If another team offers him way more than the Spurs are willing to offer and he leaves, OK, that is cool, but if the money is close, say 1-2 million apart, then I really do believe the owes it to the Spurs to show some loyalty. He'd be a nobody if he signed with most other teams. I mean, he never would have played in the WCSF or WCF to show what he can do on that stage if he had of signed with almost any other team. I believe he owes the Spurs a hometown discount if the contract offers are close.

If Simmons received great offers, he would have already signed an offer sheet somewhere. Teams aren't giving Crabbe or Evan Turner money -- he's not getting that. Spurs should be able to keep him.

jermaine
07-05-2017, 09:42 AM

Exactly!!! Like it or not, help us or hurt us... the Spurs always try to do right by players. I know Simmons betted on himself, but the Spurs put you on! You rock with the ones who help you get on.. If he goes to the Knicks, he'll be out of the league before the yr is up... See Blair, Tiago, Baynes, Boban, Jackie Butler, Melvin Ely, etc. I can go on an on.

jermaine
07-05-2017, 09:44 AM
If Simmons received great offers, he would have already signed an offer sheet somewhere. Teams aren't giving Crabbe or Evan Turner money -- he's not getting that. Spurs should be able to keep him.

Which makes me believe the Spurs will be hella active once guys can actually sign.

sasaint
07-05-2017, 09:49 AM
that is probably too much to ask, two of those are in the summer league and doing none too well... but I can't blame a Spur fan for asking.
I want to see Kyle be a regular rotation player.

A rush to judgment, friend, after a single SL game. I think the team's play definitely reflects Becky's absence. :(

sasaint
07-05-2017, 09:50 AM
teams were waiting for Hayward to make a decision on lower guys. He probably has been waiting on offers

Decision made. Now we shall see.

Chinook
07-05-2017, 10:33 AM
I said before that a one-and-one at the MLE would make the most sense for both sides. When I said that, the MLE was supposed to be like $6 Million, but on a deal this short, that doesn't make too big of a difference.

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 12:06 PM
A rush to judgment, friend, after a single SL game. I think the team's play definitely reflects Becky's absence. :(

hopefully. IMO still too rich to ask all of them to be starting... this is Pop we are talking about. but what can you say? fans have a right to wish anything.

sasaint
07-05-2017, 12:11 PM
hopefully. IMO still too rich to ask all of them to be starting... this is Pop we are talking about. but what can you say? fans have a right to wish anything.

No. I agree that they all aren't starting. My rush to judgment was about the bolded part of your comment.

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 12:14 PM
I said before that a one-and-one at the MLE would make the most sense for both sides. When I said that, the MLE was supposed to be like $6 Million, but on a deal this short, that doesn't make too big of a difference.

I agree. I think he thought there would be a lot of rich offers this summer, but teams are already saddled with bad contracts from last summer and don't have wads of cash like last summer either. I thought he'd get more, not going to lie, but there are too many wings still in the market: Hardayway Jr., Evans, Waiters, etc.
I think the Spurs offer of 2 years guaranteed was a good one. But if he wants a chance at possibly more again next summer FA, after showing a full season of consistency, and bet on himself he can do a 1 and 1.

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 12:15 PM
No. I agree that they all aren't starting. My rush to judgment was about the bolded part of your comment.

I get it, but that too... unless they play well, even more rich.
But they have a lot more opportunities yet... so you are right. We haven't seen much yet.

look_at_g_shred
07-05-2017, 12:22 PM
I get it, but that too... unless they play well, even more rich.
But they have a lot more opportunities yet... so you are right. We haven't seen much yet.
Ok look, I think Kyle's ceiling is 6MOTY. Averaging 10/8/8

CGD
07-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Money drying up. NYC or bust it seems for that bigger offer.

sasaint
07-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Simmons will win MIP tbh

If he puts it all together consistently, he could. I hope he does!

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 12:30 PM

I really only want him to get a chance in the rotation.
I don't have expectations he'll be starting, but I don't think Bertans will either, if I am honest.
LaDiva Aldridge is going to still start at PF with any center Pop can find. But I do want both to be playing regularly.

sasaint
07-05-2017, 12:30 PM

I think that means you are higher on Kyle than SAGirl! I have liked the guy since his rookie year, although my enthusiasm waned last season. I don't see Kyle doing that. Boris never did that on the Spurs, for example.

sasaint
07-05-2017, 12:33 PM
I really only want him to get a chance in the rotation.
I don't have expectations he'll be starting, but I don't think Bertans will either, if I am honest.
LaDiva Aldridge is going to still start at PF with any center Pop can find. But I do want both to be playing regularly.

LMA will be the starting 5 if we don't pick up another big (or, hopefully, trade him). I have this much faith in Pop: he will not trot out Pau and LMA as the starting bigs. I think to start the season LMA is the 5 and Kyle is the 4.

look_at_g_shred
07-05-2017, 12:33 PM
I think that means you are higher on Kyle than SAGirl (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524)! I have liked the guy since his rookie year, although my enthusiasm waned last season. I don't see Kyle doing that. Boris never did that on the Spurs, for example.
all he needs is a consistent 3 ball. Dude is an elite rebounder and passer.

ernest787
07-05-2017, 12:36 PM

when did 3 rebounds and less than 2 assist per game qualify as an elite rebounder and passer?

look_at_g_shred
07-05-2017, 12:38 PM
when did 3 rebounds and less than 2 assist per game qualify as an elite rebounder and passer?
As soon as I read this my mind did what's in your avi.

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 12:45 PM
LMA will be the starting 5 if we don't pick up another big (or, hopefully, trade him). I have this much faith in Pop: he will not trot out Pau and LMA as the starting bigs. I think to start the season LMA is the 5 and Kyle is the 4.

:tu
Maybe. I will admit I am a bit negative about this bc I don't want to get my hopes up. :lol The letdown is worse than if I just expect the same old Pop.

I do think if he stays LMA needs to be transitioning to play more center, plus he has done better in those situations... Not only that, but Spurs owe it to their younger players to develop them through the season in a variety of lineups, including a lot of small ball lineups that he refused to play through the season last season when he stayed with 2 bigs for a huge majority (95% of the time)... then in the playoffs his 2 bigs couldn't get it done and he started putting guys in situations they hadn't been in through the season. But I have a suspicion (and this is speculation) that him playing center is one of the main reasons he asked for the trade.

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 12:50 PM
I think that means you are higher on Kyle than SAGirl (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=49524)! I have liked the guy since his rookie year, although my enthusiasm waned last season. I don't see Kyle doing that. Boris never did that on the Spurs, for example.

I think Kyle could do it in a bad team, not in the Spurs. But really this is a young guy who is not in his prime yet and has never played major minutes in a rotation. When he's played around 25-30 minutes 10/5/5 seems like something he can do nightly, maybe more.

sasaint
07-05-2017, 12:54 PM
Maybe. I will admit I am a bit negative about this bc I don't want to get my hopes up. :lol The letdown is worse than if I just expect the same old Pop.

I do think if he stays LMA needs to be transitioning to play more center, plus he has done better in those situations... Not only that, but Spurs owe it to their younger players to develop them through the season in a variety of lineups, including a lot of small ball lineups that he refused to play through the season last season when he stayed with 2 bigs for a huge majority (95% of the time)... then in the playoffs his 2 bigs couldn't get it done and he started putting guys in situations they hadn't been in through the season. But I have a suspicion (and this is speculation) that him playing center is one of the main reasons he asked for the trade.

I've been suspicioning the same thing.

sasaint
07-05-2017, 12:57 PM
I think Kyle could do it in a bad team, not in the Spurs. But really this is a young guy who is not in his prime yet and has never played major minutes in a rotation. When he's played around 25-30 minutes 10/5/5 seems like something he can do nightly, maybe more.

Maybe. It's the assists that have me hung up. On the "old" Spurs 5 assists was a lot. 8 was not even what you expected from Tony. On the new iso-Spurs I just don't have a guess.

SAGirl
07-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Maybe. It's the assists that have me hung up. On the "old" Spurs 5 assists was a lot. 8 was not even what you expected from Tony. On the new iso-Spurs I just don't have a guess.

good point too.

Hoops Czar
07-05-2017, 01:11 PM
This little drama queen making it the Summer of Simmons. You ain't that good nig, just sign already.

AFBlue
07-05-2017, 01:29 PM
This little drama queen making it the Summer of Simmons. You ain't that good nig, just sign already.

Absolutely no reason for him to rush the decision. The Spurs have limited flexibility to replace him and still address their other needs, and he's in line for a payday if only one team considers him a solid Plan B. The likelihood he gets a Bazemore offer in the next few days is pretty strong I think.

cd021
07-05-2017, 04:56 PM

He is a 40% career shooter from 3; in the corners, where he takes most of his 3's. It's more about his volume with him, He's still a little trigger shy despite he high percentage. He passes up looks and also has an annoying tendency to step on the 3pt line when he shoots.

I watched a 15 minute offensive highlight video of him from this past season there are at least five occasions where he knocks down a shot but his foot's on the line. For his position is probably an well above average rebounder, in games where he played at least 23 minutes he averaged 6 rebounds a game at SF that's pretty impressive for a 3.

tmtcsc
07-05-2017, 06:43 PM

In other words, you want to see the team Tank.

Down Under
07-05-2017, 07:08 PM
He is a 40% career shooter from 3; in the corners, where he takes most of his 3's. It's more about his volume with him, He's still a little trigger shy despite he high percentage. He passes up looks and also has an annoying tendency to step on the 3pt line when he shoots.

I watched a 15 minute offensive highlight video of him from this past season there are at least five occasions where he knocks down a shot but his foot's on the line. For his position is probably an well above average rebounder, in games where he played at least 23 minutes he averaged 6 rebounds a game at SF that's pretty impressive for a 3.
His 3pt shooting is already good enough to be a stretch 4 from anywhere - it's gone from 27% to 32% to 37%, as you said his only problem is he's gunshy. He just needs to get it in his head that he has to shoot and if someone closes out hard on him attack the closeout and go to the rim, then find the open man. His first instinct HAS to be to score which is hard because his whole life he's obviously been a pass first guy. Somehow, someway he needs to get a bit selfish if he's going to stay in the league. His defense is excellent - quick hands, good help defender, good rebounder.

james evans
07-06-2017, 07:30 AM
In other words, you want to see the team Tank.
so you're saying a starting lineup of green and patty heart at the guards is actually better?

Chinook
07-06-2017, 07:33 AM
so you're saying a starting lineup of green and patty heart at the guards is actually better?

Than Murray and Simmons? Yes, probably.

tmtcsc
07-06-2017, 08:09 AM

In most games, definitely. We've heard a lot about Murray's potential from the coaching staff but there's been very little visible evidence for fans to believe it. The guy has been less than impressive. He's still way too raw and can't shoot. Having confidence in yourself or not being afraid is a lot different than just not knowing that you suck. Right now, he sucks at the NBA level. I hate to say this but Derrick Rose is starting to creep in to my mind as an option. Patty is not a PG either and his best traits are wasted in that spot. Dude is what he is, a volume shooter who just needs to launch.

buttsR4rebounding
07-06-2017, 08:13 AM

Quite honestly, from the admittedly small sample size IMO White has a real shot to surpass Murray in the rotation. He seems to make all round better decisions.

mo7888
07-06-2017, 08:55 AM
Just read an article on Simmons and one of the team's interested in signing him to an offer was Phoenix. Would we match an offer or do you think we'd be proactive and try and work a S&T for one of their young bigs?

ceperez
07-06-2017, 09:13 AM
Just read an article on Simmons and one of the team's interested in signing him to an offer was Phoenix. Would we match an offer or do you think we'd be proactive and try and work a S&T for one of their young bigs?

If this happens, I would offer the Suns a sign and trade deal that includes Aldridge in the package.

wildbill2u
07-06-2017, 11:04 AM
The way things are going in FA, Simmons ought to hold out for a Eastern Conference team. Everybody else is coming West so he might be among the best SG free agents available to an East Team. :-)

tholdren
07-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Than Murray and Simmons? Yes, probably.

If murray wasnt such a bum dribbling and passing no.

Ice009
07-06-2017, 11:33 AM
He would be pretty damn smart to think that way. He doesn't have the luxury of a big contract in the bank drawing interest already, so he's got to be thinking payday. And the whole restricted free agent thing was designed for exactly what he's doing. If the Spurs want to pay him as much as some other team, they get to keep him. If they don't, he gets to take the bigger deal. We toss around the idea that if it's within a million bucks (for instance) he should take the Spurs. A million bucks. I won't be the least bit pissed if he takes the biggest deal he's offered. But I hope the Spurs can afford to keep him.

He never would have got this payday without the Spurs. I think some loyalty is in order. I will be mad at him if the money is close and he bolts after everything the Spurs did for him. He never would have had this chance for this kind of payday if it wasn't for the Spurs.

r0drig0lac
07-06-2017, 11:33 AM

He would be starting in 28 teams with that average

dbestpro
07-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Quite honestly, from the admittedly small sample size IMO White has a real shot to surpass Murray in the rotation. He seems to make all round better decisions.

White was brought in the be a future SG or combo. Murray is the PG of the future. Both are meant to be on the floor in about 2-3 years. Murray will get his shot this fall to prove he should be on the floor sooner. White will spend the season going back and forth from Austin. It is what Pop does.

duncan2k5
07-06-2017, 11:43 AM
No way kyle can average 8 rebounds and 8 assists...u guys overrate his passing...I think even Simmons has more assists than kyle...plus he is gun shy, and just doesn't have the instinct to shoot, so offensive po sessions with him handling the ball end in disaster....and u can't teach instinct...much easier to reign someone in that amp them up

Poolboy5623
07-06-2017, 11:52 AM
I would think Simmons wants to be a starter somewhere...anywhere. With Green on the roster, thats not happening with the Spurs.

cd021
07-06-2017, 04:55 PM
I've been suspicioning the same thing.

I don't think that is it at all. I think the whole LMA not wanting to play center is a bit overblown. I think he doesn't want to bang with the likes of DMC or other bruising bigs but I don't think he necessarily minds it if it's Draymond Green or another four scaling up to play the five.

I would hope Pop starts him at the five this season and against bigger SL front court pairings, pair him with Gasol and have LMA play the 4.

Murray, Green, Leonard, Anderson, LMA or Murray, Green, Leonard, Bertans, LMA

would be my preference with Mills, Manu (hopefully), Simmons (hopefully), Bertans & Gasol as the bench mob

sasaint
07-06-2017, 06:30 PM
I don't think that is it at all. I think the whole LMA not wanting to play center is a bit overblown. I think he doesn't want to bang with the likes of DMC or other bruising bigs but I don't think he necessarily minds it if it's Draymond Green or another four scaling up to play the five.

I would hope Pop starts him at the five this season and against bigger SL front court pairings, pair him with Gasol and have LMA play the 4.

Murray, Green, Leonard, Anderson, LMA or Murray, Green, Leonard, Bertans, LMA

would be my preference with Mills, Manu (hopefully), Simmons (hopefully), Bertans & Gasol as the bench mob

I believe that PF slot will be entirely match-up dependent most, if not all, of the season. And don't forget White in the rotation somewhere.

DPG21920
07-06-2017, 06:32 PM
I do find it comical, although justified and predictable that Simmons appears to have an offer from SA but he's spending max time trying to find a better one to force SA to pay more.

If that is fair game, then SA should definitely lower their offer as his suitors dry up. If he wants to play that game, and I would too if I were him, he has to live with the consequences as well if the market for him is not what he hoped. Spurs don't need to bid against themselves.

SpurOutofTownFan
07-06-2017, 06:34 PM
most likely other teams dont think he should be making more than 9 mil either

nyspurguy
07-06-2017, 06:38 PM
I LIKE Forbes..he looks good. I think we may be set at the guard spots. Small forward may be good too. Blossomgame and Anderson should hold down the 3 behind Kawhi. Power forward, I like Bertans. Now that damn center spot... Joel Anthony?

Big Empty
07-06-2017, 06:38 PM
I do find it comical, although justified and predictable that Simmons appears to have an offer from SA but he's spending max time trying to find a better one to force SA to pay more.

If that is fair game, then SA should definitely lower their offer as his suitors dry up. If he wants to play that game, and I would too if I were him, he has to live with the consequences as well if the market for him is not what he hoped. Spurs don't need to bid against themselves. this

Mr. Body
07-06-2017, 06:39 PM

If that is fair game, then SA should definitely lower their offer as his suitors dry up. If he wants to play that game, and I would too if I were him, he has to live with the consequences as well if the market for him is not what he hoped. Spurs don't need to bid against themselves.

Why is that comical? That's precisely what ever player in his situation does.

nyspurguy
07-06-2017, 06:39 PM
I LIKE Forbes..he looks good. I think we may be set at the guard spots. Small forward may be good too. Blossomgame and Anderson should hold down the 3 behind Kawhi. Power forward, I like Bertans. Now that damn center spot... Joel Anthony?

Oh yeah, I forgot ..Pau @ the five. We look all set for tip off.

DPG21920
07-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Why is that comical? That's precisely what ever player in his situation does.

It's comical because SA has an offer out to him that appears to be more than he's worth on an open market. And I literally posted that it was understandable.

south side spur
07-06-2017, 06:47 PM

Milutinov is also a possibility. I'm hoping the Spurs bring him over.

Poolboy5623
07-06-2017, 07:34 PM

Dont forget about Whittington?

gospursgojas
07-06-2017, 08:10 PM
Dont forget about Whittington?

Whit has looked good in SL

LASToog36
07-06-2017, 08:19 PM

LOL i agree.. Kyle anderson is garbage, slow as fuck and just makes me cringe to watch him. Send him to Austin

spurs10
07-06-2017, 09:23 PM
I just saw someone post that the Knicks were going to offer him 16.5 million. They better being willing to own it if they do.

Emperor
07-06-2017, 09:29 PM
But he's got kids to feed!

CGD
07-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Get your money J. Simms! With his story, he deserves it.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Really hope this Hanga nigga can at least play effective defense at the NBA level, tbh..

Chinook
07-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Really hope this Hanga nigga can at least play effective defense at the NBA level, tbh..

If Simmons walks, Hanga and White will be battling for minutes at the two. Would be an interesting battle for sure. If Hanga is have the player he was in Europe in SA next year, they'd have a great defensive foundation.

DaBears
07-06-2017, 09:39 PM

White is older than Murray, and has a more polished game at this point.. That's the difference from what I have seen in Summer league.. That's not to say summer league is any indication of actual real game play as a lot is left to be desired in the games in Summer league.. But back to White he looks decent at this point on the offensive side, all rookies suck on D side though.

spurs10
07-06-2017, 09:58 PM
White is older than Murray, and has a more polished game at this point.. That's the difference from what I have seen in Summer league.. That's not to say summer league is any indication of actual real game play as a lot is left to be desired in the games in Summer league.. But back to White he looks decent at this point on the offensive side, all rookies suck on D side though.
I don't think Murray is 100% and that's why he didn't play today. I think there will be a healthy competition between Murray and White.

HarlemHeat37
07-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Knicks just signed THJ to an offer sheet:wow

dabom
07-06-2017, 10:13 PM

Ice009
07-07-2017, 08:16 AM

I don't follow the Knicks, but when he got traded, even though I don't follow them closely, I was wondering why the heck they traded him in the first place. What a bunch of idiots.

Spurs9
07-07-2017, 09:15 AM

4 year 71mil, he played well in a few games I saw him last year, not sure what a decent contract for him would be.

DPG21920
07-07-2017, 10:03 AM
4 year 71mil, he played well in a few games I saw him last year, not sure what a decent contract for him would be.

Patty Mills type deal at best would be fair for him.

Chinook
07-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Knicks making sure ATL wouldn't match the THJ deal, and the Hawks are like "You coulda stopped at half that."

buttsR4rebounding
07-07-2017, 11:15 AM
Knicks making sure ATL wouldn't match the THJ deal, and the Hawks are like "You coulda stopped at half that."

Atlanta had an offer of 4 years/$48 million on the table. If they don't match then the Knicks likely do not offer Simmons anything although Atlanta may be in the mix then.

buttsR4rebounding
07-07-2017, 11:27 AM

There has to be consequences to saying "No". With the Nets likely signing KCP, good chance of the Knicks getting Hardaway it is starting to look like Simmons has overplayed his hand. That should definitely cost something.

BatManu20
07-07-2017, 11:48 AM

Dverde
07-07-2017, 11:51 AM
This is beginning to remind me of Stephen Jackson's first free agency. Spurs offered a fair deal, player decides to sit on it. Money dries up. Spurs pull offer. He'll probably sign a two year deal with a player option for 2nd.

Chinook
07-07-2017, 12:01 PM

That article is retarded. There's no difference between a $30M/3 and a $40M/3 from a cap perspective.

buujness
07-07-2017, 12:53 PM
More bad news for Simmons. http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19899560/detroit-pistons-renouncing-rights-guard-kentavious-caldwell-pope

Hoops Czar
07-07-2017, 01:12 PM

That's actually not what he's doing at all.

purist
07-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Not the Whittington I've seen. cant catch pass, can't finish consistently.

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2017, 02:25 PM
^ racist

sasaint
07-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Not the Whittington I've seen. cant catch pass, can't finish consistently.

The guy musta meant "White" as in Derrick White. I agree.

DPG21920
07-07-2017, 03:30 PM
That's actually not what he's doing at all.

It's exactly what he's doing. And that is both normal and fine.

Hoops Czar
07-07-2017, 04:43 PM
It's exactly what he's doing. And that is both normal and fine.

But, it's not. Simmons isn't the one holding up the process and he's not playing a game. No team to my knowledge has even made him a formal offer yet but it wouldn't be in his best interest to take the first offer on the table if there's the slightest chance he could receive more. The Spurs also aren't bidding against themselves. They set his market value at around 9M. If he takes it, great. If he doesn't, C'est la vie. Lowering the contract offer would leave a scarred relationship between player and FO and it wouldn't be prudent for a team that prides itself on culture and loyalty. It's pretty evident the Spurs want him back hence, the 9M offer.

DPG21920
07-07-2017, 07:33 PM
If he doesn't think the Spurs offer is fair, (which he's wrong, very obviously regardless of if one stupid team does something stupid) then it's exactly what he's doing.

He has a perfectly legit offer from Spurs that actually appears to be too high based on his market value. He's simply trying to leverage SA into paying him more (which again, is fine, but it works both ways).

Russ
07-08-2017, 04:45 PM
What is the deadline for offer sheets to restricted FAs? That's what we (and Simmons) should be focused on.

Did the Spurs bluff their way to re-signing Simmons for less than value?

Chinook
07-08-2017, 04:47 PM
What is the deadline for offer sheets to restricted FAs? That's what we (and Simmons) should be focused on.

Did the Spurs bluff their way to re-signing Simmons for less than value?

Pretty sure it's some time in March.It seems the Spurs have Hanga on retainer waiting for Simmons to make up his mind. If Adam is willing to come over for the min, I'd send Jonathon on his way. Much better long-term value, and Hanga's earned the right to play in the best league in the world.

ceperez
07-08-2017, 05:45 PM
Pretty sure it's some time in March.It seems the Spurs have Hanga on retainer waiting for Simmons to make up his mind. If Adam is willing to come over for the min, I'd send Jonathon on his way. Much better long-term value, and Hanga's earned the right to play in the best league in the world.

I definitely am looking forward to seeing Hanga on the team. Does it make sense to have both Hanga and Simmons on the team or does that just make it too crowded at SG?

I would prefer though signing Dedmon with Hanga rather than just Simmons.

TimDunkem
07-08-2017, 05:45 PM
^Well, that scenario is dead. Hanga to Barcelona for much more than the minimum. :lol

Leetonidas
07-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Hanga just agreed to a deal overseas. He aint coming

TimDunkem
07-08-2017, 05:46 PM
We can finally close the book on that pick...

Seventyniner
07-08-2017, 05:57 PM
Hanga just agreed to a deal overseas. He aint coming

Damn. I would much rather have Hanga at the min than Simmons at 9M.

BackHome
07-08-2017, 06:33 PM
No I believe he still has an easy Opt Out in his contract if he want's to come to the Spurs...We Can All Pray..........:)

noles1983
07-08-2017, 07:46 PM
Why don't the spurs just trade away their picks instead of wasting them on overseas garbage that never comes over?

therealtruth
07-08-2017, 11:16 PM
Maybe he's waiting for Ginobili to retire.

sasaint
07-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Why don't the spurs just trade away their picks instead of wasting them on overseas garbage that never comes over?

No. The recent trend is to draft tweener guards from the USA.

buttsR4rebounding
07-10-2017, 10:49 AM
It seems to me that Simmons has overplayed his hand. Looking at who is still available as unrestricted free agents: KCP, Affalo, etc. Teams with significant cap space and need for a guard would likely go the unrestricted route for players that are more proven. The Spurs need to reduce their offer to him if he doesn't come back with a sheet. His delay likely cost the Spurs a chance to sign Hanga this year. You can't fault the guy for wanting to get paid, but if it is true that he was offered 9 million per for 3 or 4 years and rejected it then there are consequences. There have been consequences for the Spurs. Now there should be for Simmons.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Consequences? You say that like this is some adversarial situation between the front office and Simmons. The FO has always put the onus on players like this that are restricted to go get an offer and then bring it back to SA for matching, consideration, etc.

He hasn't cost them Hanga. Market just ain't there for a big payday for him.

buttsR4rebounding
07-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Consequences? You say that like this is some adversarial situation between the front office and Simmons. The FO has always put the onus on players like this that are restricted to go get an offer and then bring it back to SA for matching, consideration, etc.

He hasn't cost them Hanga. Market just ain't there for a big payday for him.

However, I do not recall the FO putting out a figure like the $9 million per year that they would be willing to pay. It sounds like they made an offer that was rejected. So, yes, in that respect there is an adversarial situation. Putting that number out there seems to have put a damper on offers that Simmons is receiving so that, too, can be considered adversarial. So, if the Spurs are just waiting for an offer to come in so they can match and the $9 million number was not floated by anyone in the organization then I would agree with you. Since there have been no other pre-signing leaks except for Simmons then I think this is an example of the Spurs playing a little hardball.

buttsR4rebounding
07-11-2017, 12:57 PM
So as of yesterday, July 10th the following teams have cap room left:

Atlanta 18 million. Their GM said they are in the market for a 3rd PG and 3 bigs.
Brooklyn 17 million. Rumored to be going after KCP. That will take almost all of it.
Lakers 17 million. Not signing multi year deals.
76ers 17 million. Not signing multi year deals.
Suns 11 million. Can get it up to 23 million by renouncing Alex Len
Sactown 8 million.
Orlando 8 million.
Denver 2 million.

The Suns seem to be the team that is best in a position to offer Simmons a deal the Spurs wouldn't match. By my count they currently have 8 wings under contract. Doesn't seem to be a position of need. I predict that Simmons signs for something in the 5 to 6 million range with the Spurs.

spurs10
07-11-2017, 01:44 PM
Wasn't he already offered 9 million by us?

SAGirl
07-11-2017, 01:48 PM

That was a rumor... at this point no one knows.
He has a QO on the table.

raybies
07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Seriously been thinking how long they gonna go on for this. But i predicted it'd be awhile. He probably knows he's a few teams plan D and he's gonna w8.

Not sure if I want resolution more with Manu or Simmons

SAGirl
07-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Seriously been thinking how long they gonna go on for this. But i predicted it'd be awhile. He probably knows he's a few teams plan D and he's gonna w8.

Not sure if I want resolution more with Manu or Simmons

This turned out to be the Summer of Simmons after all. Obviously the Spurs want him or they would have moved on, but the market for him is not what anyone thought it would be. Guys seriously got screwed by the cap not going up as predicted and the bad contracts from last summer. That's too bad.

I have wondered if he would bet on himself and just sign for one year with a PO to test the market next season again. It's tough to say.

raybies
07-11-2017, 02:09 PM
This turned out to be the Summer of Simmons after all. Obviously the Spurs want him or they would have moved on, but the market for him is not what anyone thought it would be. Guys seriously got screwed by the cap not going up as predicted and the bad contracts from last summer. That's too bad.

I have wondered if he would bet on himself and just sign for one year with a PO to test the market next season again. It's tough to say.
Should have been cap smoothing... Durant would have never been able to go to the Warriors, and guys like Allen Crabbe, Evan Turner, Ezeli, Mozgov, Deng, Tyler Johnson etc would have never gotten those contracts... Players Union fail tbh Now all that money is gone and GM's are smarter or at least appear to be.

Wonder how long Simmons camp draws this out. Spurs probably haven't offered anything yet. Just waiting to see what the market is like and what the #'s are. Might get him cheaper than originally thought.

cd021
07-11-2017, 02:28 PM
That's a good list. It leaves out the possibility of someone offering him a poison pill contract. Might not be smart, but you can't rule it out. And if he could talk either the Lakers or Sixers into dumping their remaining space on a 1-year deal? Both of those look like teams where he could get a chance to showcase his skills. But I think you're probably right about him playing here for less than the rumor mill had been giving him.

IIRC offer sheets have to be a minimum of two seasons without an option, so a team could do a 2+1 but not a 1+1. The Lakers and 76er's are out in that case and that probably leaves the Hawks and the Suns. The Hawks probably make the most since but they still have some roster needs and they are reportedly going after Dedmon too.

Being an RFA is this market is rough, next year might be brutal considering the cap may only increase by a million and most teams will be over the cap Forbes, Anderson, and Bertans may be shit out of luck even if all have solid seasons.

BatManu20
07-11-2017, 02:29 PM
I have a feeling an announcement on Simmons will come soon. Most of the dust has settled now in FA. Time to shit or get off the pot.

apalisoc_9
07-11-2017, 02:32 PM
IIRC offer sheets have to be a minimum of two seasons without an option, so a team could do a 2+1 but not a 1+1. The Lakers and 76er's are out in that case and that probably leaves the Hawks and the Suns. The Hawks probably make the most since but they still have some roster needs and they are reportedly going after Dedmon too.

Being an RFA is this market is rough, next year might be brutal considering the cap may only increase by a million and most teams will be over the cap Forbes, Anderson, and Bertans may be shit out of luck even if all have solid seasons.

Are those real tweet from Donald Trump? :lol

buttsR4rebounding
07-11-2017, 03:50 PM

If it was, he obviously didn't accept it. So since it looks like he isn't going to be able to bring an offer sheet to the table his price goes down. Sometimes you bet on yourself and win and sometimes you lose. If you can call a multimillion dollar contract losing...

Russ
07-11-2017, 04:09 PM
RC and Chip are always in their seats. But Pop and Becky appear and disappear.

Meanwhile, the Spurs SL team is rolling. A lot of spirit on the team among all members (vs Portland) and it looks real.

UZER
07-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Maybe he's waiting for Ginobili to retire.

He'll be waiting for a long time.

SAGirl
07-11-2017, 05:31 PM

tonight...you
07-11-2017, 05:34 PM
The ultimate non-answer.
Honestly, who really cares? He's not pushing any needles, one way or the other.

He's still a very athletic guy with some clutch genes and no NBA shot. I have no pain if he goes somewhere else, for the money.
I would NOT pay a guy like Simmons for multiple years at 9-10 per.

DAF86
07-11-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm gonna get very pissed if the Spurs overpay (and worst, if they overcommit, years wise, to) this glorifed journeyman.

jehawk81
07-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Meanwhile, the Spurs SL team is rolling. A lot of spirit on the team among all members (vs Portland) and it looks real.

Brah spirits are invisible

tonight...you
07-11-2017, 05:45 PM
I'm gonna get very pissed if the Spurs overpay (and worst, if they overcommit, years wise, to) this glorifed journeyman.
Me too. Let this man go, unless for a journeyman's contract. He's a nothing who had a moment against some bullshit situations, albeit in the playoffs.
You know KD was laughing his gut off, watching tape of JSimms during the WCF as they were playing.

steeledl
07-11-2017, 10:09 PM
I wonder what offers he has received? I want him back.... and I think passed time is helping our chances of getting him back at a comfortable price. At the same time, I want him to get paid because he is that dude..... I'm conflicted.

Also, we really NEED him back. We have a bunch of small SG's who are one trick ponies. Simmons is not that. He has a unique skill set for our roster.

tmtcsc
07-11-2017, 11:35 PM
The ultimate non-answer.
Honestly, who really cares? He's not pushing any needles, one way or the other.

He's still a very athletic guy with some clutch genes and no NBA shot. I have no pain if he goes somewhere else, for the money.

https://media.tenor.com/images/44b56a3ffc7de9f23b2fb461165e9d62/tenor.gif

Couldn't have said it better myself.

steeledl
07-11-2017, 11:40 PM
The ultimate non-answer.

Sometimes I don't think you guys have adjusted to the landscape of what players are getting paid these days. Players w/ Potential are making this and more all over the league. Simmons isn't a traditional 3rd year player, but there is obviously potential, talent, and a skill set there.

I mean, given the current market, what is the number you would be comfortable w/ the front office playing? Please keep in mind, the contracts players are demanding are not what they were a couple of years ago... by a long shot. Also, a 2-3 year deal is always a movable asset regardless of how the player performs.

DAF86
07-12-2017, 12:02 AM
Sometimes I don't think you guys have adjusted to the landscape of what players are getting paid these days. Players w/ Potential are making this and more all over the league. Simmons isn't a traditional 3rd year player, but there is obviously potential, talent, and a skill set there.

I mean, given the current market, what is the number you would be comfortable w/ the front office playing? Please keep in mind, the contracts players are demanding are not what they were a couple of years ago... by a long shot. Also, a 2-3 year deal is always a movable asset regardless of how the player performs.

Guys like Korver and Teodosic got something like 6 millions per year and they are better than Simmons.

Simmons hasn't even got one full season with regular minutes and folks wanna throw 10 millions per year his way? Fuck that shit.

steeledl
07-12-2017, 12:06 AM
Guys like Korver and Teodosic got something like 6 millions per year and they are better than Simmons.

Simmons hasn't even got one full season with regular minutes and folks wanna throw 10 millions per year his way? Fuck that shit.

Yeah, well like in any business you pay for potential....... I'd take Simmons over current Korver right now though without any questions and potential aside.

KDKSpurs24
07-12-2017, 12:10 AM

...Where is their defense? I KNOW Simmons can play defense. I KNOW Simmons can handle the ball. I KNOW he can be physical. Yet they are better? I would rather not pay him 9 mil but I think he might not worth it. I'd rather not let him go and then goes somewhere else and plays well for them.

I meant.. might be worth it. *

BatManu20
07-12-2017, 12:13 AM
Wonder if his camp is playing hardball or they really are just being patient. At this point, I'm starting to think the former. Really thought he'd have made a decision by now. Usually guys want to get the stuff out of the way and just focus on ball.

steeledl
07-12-2017, 12:16 AM
Given the landscape of the NBA, if Simmons improves just a bit over the next couple of years he will be a bargain at 9 Per. Honestly, try signing a free agent with any ability to contribute at 9mm per. The rare exceptions are veterans who are trying to join a winning team.

Look at this list. The players with any skill making under 9 are either A) on rookie contracts or B) Older players, sacrificing money,
http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

None of these players who are decent and relatively young have signed contracts in the past two offseasons.

DAF86
07-12-2017, 12:17 AM
Yeah, well like in any business you pay for potential....... I'd take Simmons over current Korver right now though without any questions and potential aside.

Yeah well, I wouldn't. Simmons sucks, can't shoot, won't ever be able to shoot. He's supposed to be a playmaker but has almost as many turnovers as assists. He had two fucking full years to win a definite rotation place over Kyle fucking Anderson and he couldn't do it. He sucks, he's mediocre, he will give you 1 good game, 2 meh games and 3 awful ones. You don't pay 10 millions per year for that kind of production.

Folks wanna overpay this guy for a couple of meaningless playoffs games in which he wasn't even that good to begin with. There's a reason nobody wants to pay him and it is because he just isn't very good.

steeledl
07-12-2017, 12:21 AM
Yeah well, I wouldn't. Simmons sucks, can't shoot, won't ever be able to shoot. He's supposed to be a playmaker but has almost as many turnovers as assists. He had two fucking full years to win a definite rotation place over Kyle fucking Anderson and he couldn't do it. He sucks, he's mediocre, he will give you 1 good game, 2 meh games and 3 awful ones. You don't pay 10 millions per year for that kind of production.

Folks wanna overpay this guy for a couple of meaningless playoffs games in which he wasn't even that good to begin with. There's a reason nobody wants to pay him and it is because he just isn't good.

Hopefully Manu will finally go rest in his coffin so Pop wont feel obligated to give him minutes...... Simmons was better than Manu last year

Time will tell.... I'm pretty confident we will get him back. How we decide on his success will likely differ though as you have one expectation of a 9mm per year player and I another.

DAF86
07-12-2017, 12:28 AM
...Where is their defense? I KNOW Simmons can play defense. I KNOW Simmons can handle the ball. I KNOW he can be physical. Yet they are better? I would rather not pay him 9 mil but I think he might not worth it. I'd rather not let him go and then goes somewhere else and plays well for them.

I meant.. might be worth it. *

Where's Simmons productivity? You wanna give 10 millions per year to a guy that had a PER of 9 last season. That's more than a million per PER pt. Seriously, think about it. Has anybody else ever pulled that off: getting paid so much for sucking that hard? :lol

buttsR4rebounding
07-12-2017, 12:41 AM
Given the landscape of the NBA, if Simmons improves just a bit over the next couple of years he will be a bargain at 9 Per. Honestly, try signing a free agent with any ability to contribute at 9mm per. The rare exceptions are veterans who are trying to join a winning team.

Look at this list. The players with any skill making under 9 are either A) on rookie contracts or B) Older players, sacrificing money,
http://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/players.html

None of these players who are decent and relatively young have signed contracts in the past two offseasons.

That is only true for guys signed last year and a little bit this year. The salary cap rising by 34% last year skewed the market for 1 year with a final blow off in early Free agency this year. Salaries for role players didn't go up 34% last year. They went up in some cases 300%. Stupid GMs with an incredibly shortsighted vision rolled the dice. Now many teams are already bumping up against the luxury tax which is now much more punitive. Salaries are already starting to readjust. The Mozgovs of the world can thank the timing of their free agency more than a permanent shift of that magnitude. Simmons' potential isn't earning him a 10 million dollar offer sheet and the Spurs aren't going to bid against themselves at this point.
Dedmon just got a 2year deal for 7million a year from one of the few teams with cap space left. And 7 footers have always been at a premium.

DAF86
07-12-2017, 12:46 AM
Hopefully Manu will finally go rest in his coffin so Pop wont feel obligated to give him minutes...... Simmons was better than Manu last year

Time will tell.... I'm pretty confident we will get him back. How we decide on his success will likely differ though as you have one expectation of a 9mm per year player and I another.

Sure, that's why Simmons was fighting with Kyle Anderson and Bryn Forbes for minutes. :lol

Simmons- PER: 9.9 (:lol)-TS%: 50% (:lol)-WS/48: .068- OBPM: -2.8 (yeah, that's negative two point eight :lol)-DBPM:0.9-BPM: -1.9- VORP: 0.0. (just lol all around son)
Manu- PER: 13.9 - TS%: 53% - WS/48: .110 - OBPM: 0.5 - DBPM: 1.4 - BPM: 1.3 - VORP: 1.9

There you have the numbers. There wasn't a single thing at which journeyman Simmons was better than 40 year old Manu last season. Now you can re-arrange your mistaken opinion or choose a less informed person to try and sell your lie, tbh.

pad300
07-12-2017, 12:53 AM
Sure, that's why Simmons was fighting with Kyle Anderson and Bryn Forbes for minutes. :lol

Simmons- PER: 9.9 (:lol)-TS%: 50% (:lol)-WS/48: .068- OBPM: -2.8 (yeah, that's negative two point eight :lol)-DBPM:0.9-BPM: -1.9- VORP: 0.0. (just lol all around son)
Manu- PER: 13.9 - TS%: 53% - WS/48: .110 - OBPM: 0.5 - DBPM: 1.4 - BPM: 1.3 - VORP: 1.9

There you have the numbers. There wasn't a single thing at which journeyman Simmons was better than 40 year old Manu last season. Now you can re-arrange your mistaken opinion or chose a less informed person to try and sell your lie, tbh.

If you're going to do this, do it properly and include Anderson's #'s

Anderson - PER: 12.5 - TS%: 52.5% - WS/48: .127 - OBPM: -2.1 - DBPM: 3.7 - BPM: 1.6 - VORP: 0.9

DAF86
07-12-2017, 12:58 AM
If you're going to do this, do it properly and include Anderson's #'s

Anderson - PER: 12.5 - TS%: 52.5% - WS/48: .127 - OBPM: -2.1 - DBPM: 3.7 - BPM: 1.6 - VORP: 0.9

I just posted Manus because steeledl somewhy brought him into the discussion. He must believe that my problem with Simmons is related to Manu coming back or something, and not that I simply trully believe that Simmons is a mediocre player (and I'm being generous here because his numbers indicate that he's worst than mediocre) that under no circumstance should get paid 10 millions per year.

DenialTwist
07-12-2017, 03:03 AM
If Manu can make up his mind on retirement then the spurs can make some decisions re: Simmons, Forbes and another potential player they want. Manu is holding up the process. I think he is coming back and not just for one year but two. Simmons is probably gone and they have yet to re-sign Pau and another big man (Cory Jefferson?). Hopefully they keep Forbes.

duncan2k5
07-12-2017, 06:32 AM
LMA can't play center...lol @ the guy saying LA doesn't mind playing against draymond green...for one, if he starts at center, dray won't be guarding him...secondly, LA takes fadeaways over James harden....he isn't ready to bang with ANYONE, nevertheless centers

ceperez
07-12-2017, 07:02 AM
I like Simmons but I think for the money, Dedmon would have been a better signing.

Apparently, PATFO doesn't care so much for Dedmon. I don't know, maybe his locker room demeanor didn't rub off well with some guys.

Also, I really don't want to get Lee back after we signed Lauvergne. We can't have two undersized centers in the team!

duncan2k5
07-12-2017, 07:25 AM
Simmons is a great player...it didnt help his game that he never knew when or if he would play game by game...NBA players are rhythm driven...not many players would be great under those circumstances... And he was one of the only ones that showed up when it mattered, plus shut down harden...he is definitely worth 9 mil...this isn't the 90s...get with the time.... Players are getting paid much more because teams are making much more...and Simmons is a SHIT load more valuable than korver at this point...KO ever can only do one thing great, AND he is older and a bad defender....Simmons even shot the 3 ball better than Danny green in the playoffs...so in not sure how ppl want green to stay and Simmons to leave...Danny green is living off his reputation from 5 years ago

DaBears
07-12-2017, 10:28 AM
this

You probably wont hear anything from JSIMS till the very end of Free Agency memorandum. Its just what I have heard from local reports & outsourced reporting.

Dex
07-12-2017, 10:34 AM
Wonder if his camp is playing hardball or they really are just being patient. At this point, I'm starting to think the former. Really thought he'd have made a decision by now. Usually guys want to get the stuff out of the way and just focus on ball.

Agreed. I think he and his agent were expecting a much bigger market for him, and now that it's obvious that isn't happening, they're holding out for what they can get.

He is losing suitors by the day, though. Lakers just threw their money at KCP. Atlanta paid Dedmon and doesn't seem to be in the market for another SG. That really only leaves Phoenix and Brooklyn as viable options unless something weird happens...so I hope Simms is ready to start losing a lot of games to get paid. That Sean Marks connection in BKY scares me though.

buttsR4rebounding
07-12-2017, 10:37 AM
You probably wont hear anything from JSIMS till the very end of Free Agency memorandum. Its just what I have heard from local reports & outsourced reporting.

What is a free agency "memorandum"? and when does it end?

DaBears
07-12-2017, 10:42 AM
July 13 — Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

buttsR4rebounding
07-12-2017, 10:42 AM
Agreed. I think he and his agent were expecting a much bigger market for him, and now that it's obvious that isn't happening, they're holding out for what they can get.

He is losing suitors by the day, though. Lakers just threw their money at KCP. Atlanta paid Dedmon and doesn't seem to be in the market for another SG. That really only leaves Phoenix and Brooklyn as viable options unless something weird happens...so I hope Simms is ready to start losing a lot of games to get paid. That Sean Marks connection in BKY scares me though.

I agree. I was hoping Brooklyn would go after KCP. Phoenix has at least 8 wings under contract so I doubt that they go after him. Brooklyn is the only team left that could put together something that the Spurs wouldn't match. Marks is 0 for 4 on restricted free agents so far, so hopefully he focuses on the unrestricted ones like Aflallo. Although I understand now that Houston and New York are trying to use Brooklyn's cap space to facilitate a trade for Melo to Houston.

DaBears
07-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Curiosity of Hoopsrumors.com

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/04/key-2017-nba-offseason-dates.html

buttsR4rebounding
07-12-2017, 10:44 AM
July 13 — Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

What would be the advantage to the Spurs to do that?

Truth4sale$
07-12-2017, 09:41 PM
Simmons is looking at his first ever and possibly his only big payday. He should take all the time he can. His decision will impact his life on so many levels, professionally ,financially, and personal. He can chase the money, but will he play as well outside of the confines of the Spurs coaches, will he like the city, (will his family?) Will he win games. It's a tough call. Simmons is getting paid off what he showed in the playoffs, when everyone else collapsed, especially Lma, who us getting paid from what he did 3 years ago in portland.

I. Hustle
07-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Simmons is looking at his first ever and possibly his only big payday. He should take all the time he can. His decision will impact his life on so many levels, professionally ,financially, and personal. He can chase the money, but will he play as well outside of the confines of the Spurs coaches, will he like the city, (will his family?) Will he win games. It's a tough call. Simmons is getting paid off what he showed in the playoffs, when everyone else collapsed, especially Lma, who us getting paid from what he did 3 years ago in portland.

Bravo, GNSF. Bravo

raybies
07-13-2017, 01:02 AM
bump. read title. How long is this dude gonna drag it out.... Now teams are interested in Shabazz over him...

kaji157
07-13-2017, 01:15 AM
I don't see anything strange in this process. Other than patty the spurs always let the players test their own market, and based on what the player gets, make an offer.
It seems Simmons is not having great offers, and I feel he might be getting the money per year, but not the length he is looking for.
It's really not so strange as his NBA career has been short and inconsistent.
I don't think many teams will offer him over 7 millions, and does who do, won't offer over 2 years.
If you ask me now, I think he will have to settle for a 3 years 22 million contract with a third year being a player option.
That way he ensures some money, probably less than he expects, but with the option of testing the market in two years if he feels his value has increased.

jermaine
07-13-2017, 07:50 AM
Like seriously, how many more options do this nicca have?? It seems teams an money is drying up. He has to be waiting on melo to be traded an Knicks to free up money.

raybies
07-13-2017, 07:55 AM
Any deal that would be a wise gamble for other teams, is probably in the Spurs ballpark. I think teams know they won't get a deal with him and would have to overpay. And as much as I defend Simmons and believe in him, for another team it's high risk.

Seventyniner
07-13-2017, 09:13 AM
Many teams tell their RFAs to go test the market, but how often do they get no deal whatsoever? I wonder what the Spurs will offer if Simmons doesn't get any offer sheet from another team.

buttsR4rebounding
07-13-2017, 09:18 AM
Many teams tell their RFAs to go test the market, but how often do they get no deal whatsoever? I wonder what the Spurs will offer if Simmons doesn't get any offer sheet from another team.

I believe they have $1,650,000 on the table right now. But I would guess 3 years for 15 to 18 million with a team option for year 3.

210baller
07-13-2017, 11:04 AM
front office just renounced simmons, hes unrestricted now.

Big Empty
07-13-2017, 11:08 AM
He just hasn't proven enough for 9m. I agree with this.

spursmvp
07-13-2017, 03:05 PM
He just hasn't proven enough for 9m. I agree with this.

What has patty proven to get 12m?

Ice009
07-13-2017, 08:37 PM
What has patty proven to get 12m?

Even less. Simmons was a much better playoff performer this season than Patty. Patty has a career playoff average of around 6ppg.

PublicOption
07-14-2017, 08:05 PM
MANU did this.