PDA

View Full Version : How is Sling TV?

SpursforSix
07-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Thinking about getting rid of DirecTV Satellite. But need some way to access the local network affiliates. We live too far away to got with an HD antennae unless we mount one on the roof.
Sling seems like a pretty cheap way to do this. Plus they have a cloud based DVR system.

Anyone use this at all?

resistanze
07-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Used the trial 8 months ago, wasn't impressed by the quality of the stream and technical issues.

Pavlov
07-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Free trial is free. Worked fine for me but before DVR thingy.

SpursforSix
07-07-2017, 10:09 AM
Free trial is free. Worked fine for me but before DVR thingy.

Yeah...unfortunately, you can't try out the DVR with the free trial. Everything seems to stream well enough. Don't like that you can't jump from channel to channel without scrolling through the list. Also no CBS or ABC. But it'll probably work well enough for what I need it for.

DJR210
07-07-2017, 10:57 AM
DirecTV now is also an option.. They recently expanded their local lineup

SpursforSix
07-07-2017, 11:59 AM
DirecTV now is also an option.. They recently expanded their local lineup

Yep. I'm looking at that as well. Still no live ABC or any CBS according the website. And no DVR. But maybe the shows are available on demand immediately.
I also just found out the Hulu has a beta live TV out right now. Might check that as well.

What sucks about Sling is that the Orange package at $20 (22 channels) won't let you stream to more than one device at at time. So you have to get the Blue package at $25 (40 channels). But Blue doesn't have ESPN or any Disney owned channels. While the Orange does. So to get it all, you've got to get the combo at $45. That being said, I rarely watch ESPN anymore anyway. But back to the multiple stream issue.