PDA

View Full Version : Summer League Game Thoughts: Game 2 vs. Celtics

timvp
07-06-2017, 03:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/10y3G6m.jpg

Dejounte Murray
While Murray missed all ten of his field goal attempts, I actually thought he was improved compared to the first summer league game. He balanced attacking and passing much better; he wasn't needlessly passive like he was in the opener. His main issue on offense is the clogged lanes of summer league block his forays to the rim, which he compounded by making a few ill-advised decisions. On defense, he was still well below par but the effort was an improvement. The bright spot was his rebounding. Murray continues to project as an elite rebounding point guard.

Derrick White
White came back down to earth a bit after an impressive debut. Early on, he was forcing poor shots – oftentimes breaking the offense to go one-on-one. He eventually settled down and orchestrated a handful of positive plays on the offensive end. Defensively, he was better, particularly help-wise. He seems to have a knack for really disrupting shot attempts in his area, which makes sense considering he averaged more than a block per game at Colorado. Through his struggles, one important aspect of his game remains: the fact that it appears very likely that he can get his shot off against NBA athletes. For a guard with average physical capabilities, that's a key trait for his future development.

Bryn Forbes
Against the Jazz, Forbes had a nightmare of a time trying to score off the dribble. He bounced back in fantastic fashion in this game against the Celtics. Not only was he knocking down open threes off of penetration and curl screens, he was able to keep the defense honest with effective drives off the dribble. Forbes also played a bit of point guard and didn't look too out of place. While I haven't seen any proof of anything more than rudimentary court vision, his ball-handling seems decent enough and he puts enough zip on his passes. Defense was still iffy at best but he was much more physical this game and didn't allow himself to get bullied as easily.

Davis Bertans
Bertans knocked down shots and that made everyone's life easier. On offense, he also showed a bit of variety to his game by showing off relatively good ball-handling and passing abilities. On defense, while he needs all his strength to try to survive under the rim, his mobility is a positive when he's at power forward. And though he's never been a good rebounder, his dedication to always boxing out keeps that deficiency from being too huge of a detriment.

Jaron Blossomgame
After missing all eight shots in the first outing, Jaron's game blossed Blossomgame did a bit better. He knocked down a pair of three-pointer, continued his crashing of the glass and remained energized on defense. Unfortunately, he still doesn't pass the eye test. He's slight and not particularly quick – a bad combination for a player who would need to be a plus defender to make it in the league. I also highly doubt he could get his jump shot off in the NBA unless he's wide open.

Shayne Whittington
Add Whittington to the list of player who improved game over game. He was a sieve the first game against pick-and-rolls. In this game, he showed that he can actually move his feet pretty well when he's mentally engaged. And while he's not much of a roll man after setting picks on offense, at least he was catching the ball most of the time this go-around.

Cory Jefferson
Though he still didn't want to pass, Jefferson continues to show flashes of being able to be a fifth bigman in the NBA. His rebounding has been impressive and his overall tenacity in the paint jumps off the screen. Jefferson's hunger and NBA-ready body as a modern day power forward make him someone to keep an eye on as summer league continues.

Livio Jean-Charles
Despite only playing 12 minutes, I thought Jean-Charles once again looked like a completely different athlete than the player we've seen since he tore his ACL a few years ago. He can move his feet laterally, get off the floor quickly and change ends with a few long strides. The negatives remain though: lack of basketball skills and lack of a true position.

Cady Lalanne
This was the first we saw of Cady Lalanne. The good news is he appears to be the best shape I've ever seen him in. The bad news is that despite his improved conditioning, he still has heavy legs. He just has no explosion whatsoever and that dooms him in mano a mano battles in the paint. That appears to be his fatal flaw prospect-wise.

Olivier Hanlan
He's basically the summer league version of Jacque Vaughn. Solid on both ends, doesn't make many mistakes and runs the plays well … but doesn't do anything to stand out as an intriguing prospect.

Russ
07-06-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks timvp!

Keepin' it real
07-06-2017, 03:38 PM
The bright spot was his rebounding. Murray continues to project as an elite rebounding point guard.

Well, Colin Cowherd says point guards shouldn't rebound; they should assist and then get back on defense to minimize opponent fast breaks, so ...

dabom
07-06-2017, 03:40 PM
bump this weak thread. give it some charisma.

TheGreatYacht
07-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Unpink me

dabom
07-06-2017, 03:41 PM
Unpink me

:lmao

cd98
07-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Well, Colin Cowherd says point guards shouldn't rebound; they should assist and then get back on defense to minimize opponent fast breaks, so ...

That's true for offensive boards, but not defensive boards. That was a bright spot for him getting contested defensive rebounds.

Phenomanul
07-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Unpink me

He needs to stay pinked...

vulgar and crass

Chinook
07-06-2017, 03:47 PM
I've actually like Bryn's D both games. He's never going to be a good defender, but he competed well, and when he had Kawhi, Green and Pop's system around to help, that'll go a long way. Blossomgame looked better, but he just doesn't have it defensively. More importantly, he can do nothing with the ball in his hands. He was boasting about having Iggy potential, but he has nothing of the sort. Hell, he's not even that athletic. Murray was being checked by Brown to start the game and consistently burned him. That's a good sign. The finishing will come with more work on his body and touch. The first-step is much harder to develop.

Livio's problem this year really seems to be IQ. He had no idea who to guard, and he made ant-head decisions on O. Kept trying to post up instead of setting screens, didn't know where to be during plays. He seemed much smarter last year, so I think he would improve in that area if he gets enough run with these guys. But he needs to have more complete games to take the next step. I'd still give him a two-day, but I wouldn't care if he passed. Cady by and large held onto the ball once it hit his hands. That's HUGE when looking at Whittington, Jefferson and Bentil (last game). He didn't shoot well from outside, but I did think his ability to board and finish was nice. I don't get why he isn't starting, as it seems like now or never to get him into camp.

Hanlan looks like a guy who should be in camp/Austin. I don't know if he has much more of a ceiling, but he seems like a guy who can hold onto a roster sport for a few years even though everyone forgets he's in the NBA. White was all right. Definitely seems like a Spur in terms of his IQ. Dude played with his head up, and it seemed more natural than it does with Murray, like the coaches didn't have to tell him to move the ball. I don't like the iso-twos he keeps taking, but until they can get some chemistry going, it's not like there are a ton of options after the first couple seconds of the clock.

Forbes' ability to hit step-backs inside the paint is really nice. He doesn't have the same ceiling on layups as Murray and White, but he's looked good taking off-balance jumpers if he can get a clean look. That'll serve him well in the Zipper Series. His offensive ceiling in the sense of long-term, over his career isn't better than his counterparts, but his "spurtability" is the best out of anyone on the roster. That's worth a roster spot.

Phenomanul
07-06-2017, 03:47 PM
Thanks timvp... I didn't get to see the game. :tu

Dex
07-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Appreciate the write-up, as always. :tu

Still hoping Murray can get it together. He obviously is working on trying to be more of a facilitator, and that may be throwing his game off. Still, if he is going to be the player the Spurs need him to be, he should be dominating at this level, either with his scoring or his play-making, and right now both appear to be pretty ho-hum.

TheDoctor
07-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Nice job OP :tu

polandprzem
07-06-2017, 04:09 PM
LJ is alive?

:whine

LaMarcus Bryant
07-06-2017, 05:28 PM
:pctoss if blossomgame sucks we're finished.

Budkin
07-06-2017, 05:35 PM
LJ is alive?

:whine

Yes, and he and Kori need to clean the smegma out of this cesspool.

ceperez
07-06-2017, 05:46 PM
thanks

Uriel
07-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks OP :tu

urunobili
07-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Arcidiacono is no longer in the organization? Anybody knows? Oh and thanks timvp :tu

polandprzem
07-09-2017, 03:29 PM
Yes, and he and Kori need to clean the smegma out of this cesspool.

They are out of this for quite a long time

Spurtacular
07-09-2017, 08:19 PM
Only SL, but Forbes has been playing at a Curry level.

spurs10
07-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Thanks timvp for the write-up! Hope to see some improvement tonight!