PDA

View Full Version : The dire issue with our future bigs is obvious - we have none

tbdog
07-07-2017, 03:45 AM
While I have been so focused on the present, it came to me that our future situation for our bigs has been neglected - and it is not looking good. It is actually in dire need. With Leonard in his 2nd year of his 4 year max contract, you would assume the base of our team would be made. We knew Duncan was going to be gone by now and LMA was that replacement. Manu has survived longer than we thought. Parker end is near. But here we are, guards guards and guards, and just no bigs. The situation is so dire that next season there is a very likely chance that we will have none signed up going into the off season. LMA is probably going to opt out. Gasol is probably gone. Gay will probably opt out. And Anderson and Bertans are not what we would call starting calibre bigs.

How did it get to this stage?

Uriel
07-07-2017, 03:47 AM
Bring back Tiago.

Mnky
07-07-2017, 03:49 AM
Rudy gay and kawhi will bring cousins on next year.

LeBron will jump in to coast.

Profit.

BatManu20
07-07-2017, 03:50 AM
Pau will re-sign. And we'll likely bring in another cheap big.

If you're talking about next year going forward, then that's a separate issue. But most teams that pick outside of th lottery every year don't have bigs to develop for the future.

DeRozan m8
07-07-2017, 03:53 AM
We also don't really have a PG right now.

Or a SG actually (I'm done with danny)

Glad we have a back up for Kawhi, finally...Kyle was never the answer.

We also have a PF that doesn't want to play for us, and not much behind him either.

Shiiit

BG_Spurs_Fan
07-07-2017, 03:54 AM
There are about 100 centers on the FA market. No one wants them anyway.

Snaq O'Meal
07-07-2017, 04:01 AM
Poop won't know what to do with big men except call Four Down. So, having decent centers will be a waste if they can't post up. And big men with post game are always a rarity. They're either unattainable (i.e. Towns, Embiid) or are too intimidating for Poop (i.e. Cousins).

Mal
07-07-2017, 04:18 AM
Lee, Golden Boy, Tyle Zeller, Jonas Jerebko still available

thekingrobert
07-07-2017, 04:26 AM
We also don't really have a PG right now.

Or a SG actually (I'm done with danny)

Glad we have a back up for Kawhi, finally...Kyle was never the answer.

We also have a PF that doesn't want to play for us, and not much behind him either.

Shiiit

Kyle is a better point right now on this roster

mudyez
07-07-2017, 04:40 AM
We will wait this out, signing whoever is desperate to sign any contract. Too many bigs for to few teams looking for one. Will be a bargain signing.

And that will be the case for a few offseasons.

Also see us using Kawhi more as a small ball 4 if you even want to call it that with so many small ball 4s, that half of them are basically SFs.

tbdog
07-07-2017, 05:04 AM
I am referring to 2018. Sorry that I wasn't clear. We will have no bigs under contract.

cutewizard
07-07-2017, 06:37 AM
:bang

south side spur
07-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Milutinov

tholdren
07-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Thread hs garbage, you do not need bigs to win or even play anymore.

Truth4sale$
07-07-2017, 07:53 AM
I agree, Spurs are in trouble in the present and the future. I know some are high on Derrick White, but he was not what the Spurs needed. Unless you look at best player available approach, which is debatable. That said, i don't think Blossoms game is what we needed. Spurs should have moved up in the 2nd round and found a big man to nurture, or used that pick and taken a flier on power forward/center. We all know it takes young players a while to grow. This is something the spurs should have addressed prior to Duncan retiring. The game is guard focused, but you still need shot blocking and rebounding. For all our criticism of Danny Green, he is probably our best shot blocker on the current roster and Kawhi is our most consistent rebounder. Sad.

south side spur
07-07-2017, 08:08 AM
I agree, the lack of bigs is overblown but I also believe you still need shotblocking and rebounding. Is Houston going to match any offer for Capela? I don't see how the Spurs could be anything but impressed with his performance in the semifinals. I could see a big contract offer for him from the Spurs.

DaBears
07-07-2017, 08:21 AM
Spurs probably need more of an shot blocker and solid rebounder with decent positional defense. Not much more from that position.

Chinook
07-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Bring in Nikola. You don't want him pulling a Bodganovic next summer. Bring him in and put him on track to take over the starting five role in two years. After that, commit to playing LMA at C and add a solid "legit PF" as the sixth big. Then give Cady a two-way.

PF: Gay, Bertans, Lee/Scola/whatever
C: Aldridge, Gasol, Milutinov

17: Lalanne

jermaine
07-07-2017, 08:32 AM
Tell Pop resign Dedmon an play him!! Idc what mistakes he makes. Pau makes a million mistakes an is a traffic cone!

SuperCam
07-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Holt needs to tell Poop to get over himself and bring in Cousins tbqh. Otherwise it's more retread scrubs for the remainder of Kiwi's prime :bang

Atl Spur
07-07-2017, 08:40 AM
I think Dedmon may be re-signed. San Antonio rarely telegraph there moves.... Bradley,Simmons,and/or Tyreke is what I'm looking forward to.

Dex
07-07-2017, 08:42 AM
I am referring to 2018. Sorry that I wasn't clear. We will have no bigs under contract.

I think that's all by design. Spurs looking to make a splash in 2018.

sasaint
07-07-2017, 09:28 AM
We will wait this out, signing whoever is desperate to sign any contract. Too many bigs for to few teams looking for one. Will be a bargain signing.

And that will be the case for a few offseasons.

Also see us using Kawhi more as a small ball 4 if you even want to call it that with so many small ball 4s, that half of them are basically SFs.

I think one of the big reasons we signed RGay was to play at the 4 and relieve Kawhi of that responsibility.

look_at_g_shred
07-07-2017, 09:31 AM
you are worried about bigs we are or not going to sign next summer? We'll be alright man.

sasaint
07-07-2017, 09:31 AM
Lee, Golden Boy, Tyle Zeller, Jonas Jerebko still available

I could see two of those four getting offers from us.

sasaint
07-07-2017, 09:34 AM
I think Dedmon may be re-signed. San Antonio rarely telegraph there moves.... Bradley,Simmons,and/or Tyreke is what I'm looking forward to.

I would be happy with Deadman, but I just don't see Pop going there. And for the right money I'd like JSimms back. Either of the other two wouldn't be bad, though.

duncan2k5
07-07-2017, 09:37 AM
Bring back Tiago.

no

duncan2k5
07-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Kyle is a better point right now on this roster

why do ppl think kyle is such a good passer? he has displayed nothing that makes me think he is...even Diaw was better...by FAR

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2017, 10:01 AM
why do ppl think kyle is such a good passer? he has displayed nothing that makes me think he is...even Diaw was better...by FAR
Casual vanilla fans who don't watch games saw that narrative somewhere and went with it

DaBears
07-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Dang!! For some of reason I was just thinking Bring back Boban... He left the SPURS and you never hear from the him again.. I know he went to the wasteland that is the Detroit pistons but still..

tholdren
07-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Casual vanilla fans who don't watch games saw that narrative somewhere and went with it

But it made rubio millions

cd021
07-07-2017, 06:41 PM

Anderson is actually a very good passer, that's generally been the one area that most people agree on.

cd021
07-07-2017, 06:46 PM

Money is drying up but I don't see Dedmon taking a one year ( or 1+1) deal. I don't think the Spurs can offer him more than the Bi Annual exception but that is probably going to Gasol for taking one for the team.

south side spur
07-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Anderson is actually a very good passer, that's generally been the one area that most people agree on.

Not the people who hate watch him they just stare at his forehead.

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2017, 06:49 PM
You're getting confused. When he tries his go-to Slomo crossover and gets absolutely nowhere, he passes.... to contested players in the perimeter.

The numbers don't lie. He averages 3 assists to 1.5TO's Per36. He was also 10th on the roster in AST% behind Parker, Mills, Lapro, Murray, Ginobili, Leonard, Gasol, Simmons, and Lee.

tholdren
07-07-2017, 10:18 PM
You're getting confused. When he tries his go-to Slomo crossover and gets absolutely nowhere, he passes.... to contested players in the perimeter.

The numbers don't lie. He averages 3 assists to 1.5TO's Per36. He was also 10th on the roster in AST% behind Parker, Mills, Lapro, Murray, Ginobili, Leonard, Gasol, Simmons, and Lee.

The ratio can be misleading. Pau fumbles a pass from fathead the to is on fathead.

bigfan
07-07-2017, 10:22 PM
Still hoping we can resign Dedmon.

Atl Spur
07-07-2017, 10:23 PM
Dedmon I'm thinking has a real good chance of coming back......... if he wanted to leave he would have signed by now.

JR3
07-07-2017, 10:23 PM
A lot of off season left... just because the free agents have mostly signed doesn't mean anything. Plenty of teams willing to take on contracts to get more talent. Still waiting for LMA to get traded.

duncan2k5
07-07-2017, 10:37 PM

Thank u! Kyle being a good passer is one of the biggest myths on the board...ppl think so because he is SUPPOSED to be a good passer...he just isnt

duncan2k5
07-07-2017, 10:38 PM
Still hoping we can resign Dedmon.

This! If pop treats him with some respect tho

thekingrobert
07-08-2017, 03:44 AM

I know Mills is a better passer but we know Mills is only a fill in starter, the thing with SloMo is he doesn't get many minutes so it limits consistency not saying he deserves or doesn't deserve minutes but he is a better PG now over Murray

TimDunkem
07-08-2017, 03:53 AM
Fathead can push the ball up after a rebound and can do some things on the fast break, but that's it. Otherwise, his passing is nothing special in the half-court.

ceperez
07-08-2017, 07:25 AM
The death lineup of GSW had no bigs either.

Spurs failure in the playoffs may be due to the fact that being mugged in the paint isn't considered a foul these days. While minor contact in the 3 point line is called a foul and 3 free throws. So why not launch a 3 and hope for a foul versus a 2 point shot while being manhandled in the paint?

GSW has figured it out. The Spurs figured in out in 2014 but seemed to have acquired amnesia.

MaNu4Tres
07-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Bring in Nikola. You don't want him pulling a Bodganovic next summer. Bring him in and put him on track to take over the starting five role in two years. After that, commit to playing LMA at C and add a solid "legit PF" as the sixth big. Then give Cady a two-way.

PF: Gay, Bertans, Lee/Scola/whatever
C: Aldridge, Gasol, Milutinov

17: Lalanne

Even though I wasnt cool with the Patty contract, I am thrilled they are adapting into the 1 - C, 3 wing - 1 PG philosophy I talked about months ago.

tholdren
07-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Even though I wasnt cool with the Patty contract, I am thrilled they are adapting into the 1 - C, 3 wing - 1 PG philosophy I talked about months ago.
Lol

kuato
07-08-2017, 08:31 AM
What about Daniel Amigo?

itzsoweezee
07-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Not that dire really. LMA should be exclusively be playing center anyway. Gay and Bertans are going to have to play power forward mostly. If Simmons comes back, the lineup will be in good shape.

duncan2k5
07-08-2017, 10:20 AM
I know Mills is a better passer but we know Mills is only a fill in starter, the thing with SloMo is he doesn't get many minutes so it limits consistency not saying he deserves or doesn't deserve minutes but he is a better PG now over Murray

So ur saying Kyle's low minutes ruin his consistency, but still criticize Murray whose minutes were even more erratic

Solid D
07-08-2017, 10:28 AM
https://images.heb.com/is/image/HEBGrocery/002071015

Like his cereal, since Timmy retired, the Spurs have had a hole in the middle.

exstatic
07-08-2017, 11:57 AM
This! If pop treats him with some respect tho

I don't think POP cussed him and stalked off to the locker room. It was the other way around.

Blackjack
07-08-2017, 12:10 PM
https://images.heb.com/is/image/HEBGrocery/002071015

Like his cereal, since Timmy retired, the Spurs have had a hole in the middle.

:lol

SAGirl
07-08-2017, 01:08 PM
The death lineup of GSW had no bigs either.

Spurs failure in the playoffs may be due to the fact that being mugged in the paint isn't considered a foul these days. While minor contact in the 3 point line is called a foul and 3 free throws. So why not launch a 3 and hope for a foul versus a 2 point shot while being manhandled in the paint?

GSW has figured it out. The Spurs figured in out in 2014 but seemed to have acquired amnesia.

Definitely, the way the game is called, the NBA has annihilated the post up game and bigs who play in the paint.

Thomas82
07-08-2017, 10:55 PM
I agree, Spurs are in trouble in the present and the future. I know some are high on Derrick White, but he was not what the Spurs needed. Unless you look at best player available approach, which is debatable. That said, i don't think Blossoms game is what we needed. Spurs should have moved up in the 2nd round and found a big man to nurture, or used that pick and taken a flier on power forward/center. We all know it takes young players a while to grow. This is something the spurs should have addressed prior to Duncan retiring. The game is guard focused, but you still need shot blocking and rebounding. For all our criticism of Danny Green, he is probably our best shot blocker on the current roster and Kawhi is our most consistent rebounder. Sad.

+1

We really need to find us a rim protector.

ace3g
07-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Ersan Ilyasova (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2767/ersan-ilyasova)
Jonas Jerebko (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/3998/jonas-jerebko)
Brandon Bass (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2745/brandon-bass)
Donatas Motiejunas (http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/6464/donatas-motiejunas)

ace3g
07-08-2017, 11:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEQea0XXgAAfjBT.jpg:large

thekingrobert
07-10-2017, 04:08 AM
So ur saying Kyle's low minutes ruin his consistency, but still criticize Murray whose minutes were even more erratic

Murray's Summer league play shows he's not ready where SloMo's last year showed he was more ready than Murray is now, Murray needs to gain weight and get his dribble lower

tbdog
07-10-2017, 05:01 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DEQea0XXgAAfjBT.jpg:large
Kyle anderson, lol.

MaNu4Tres
07-10-2017, 08:15 AM
My concerns with White are more obvious after some SL games. Really really wish they drafted Jordan Bell with the 29th.

Then found a way to trade up in the 2nd round to get Jonah Bolden.

duncan2k5
07-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Murray's Summer league play shows he's not ready where SloMo's last year showed he was more ready than Murray is now, Murray needs to gain weight and get his dribble lower

IT'S SUMMER LEAGUE!! Even Lebron had a bad summer league...look at Murray's ACTUAL NBA minutes last year...he was doing good...even Sean ****** realized his potential and wanted him to play more...Bryn was abysmal last year

Walter Donovan
07-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Why is Sean ****** blocked??

thekingrobert
07-11-2017, 03:21 AM
IT'S SUMMER LEAGUE!! Even Lebron had a bad summer league...look at Murray's ACTUAL NBA minutes last year...he was doing good...even Sean ****** realized his potential and wanted him to play more...Bryn was abysmal last year

Bron avg 16pts 7 rebs and 4 ast if any starting point gave us that this year we'd win a ring easy. I just was excited and expected more from Murray and remember no one game planned for him so he was playing freely but when you make noise they notice and is he ready for that?

duncan2k5
07-11-2017, 05:13 AM
Bron avg 16pts 7 rebs and 4 ast if any starting point gave us that this year we'd win a ring easy. I just was excited and expected more from Murray and remember no one game planned for him so he was playing freely but when you make noise they notice and is he ready for that?

I dont know how old u are...but I actually watched all of lebrons summer leagues...and he was playing horribly...especially since ppl expected more...all during summer leagues the ppl who were saying he would be a bust were having a field day...which is why his opening night game was such a f*ck you to the critics...I remember that time vividly...dont put too much stock into summer league...some players dont play well and screw around when they know the games mean nothing, and others play like beasts when the level of competition is low

thekingrobert
07-12-2017, 03:20 AM
I dont know how old u are...but I actually watched all of lebrons summer leagues...and he was playing horribly...especially since ppl expected more...all during summer leagues the ppl who were saying he would be a bust were having a field day...which is why his opening night game was such a f*ck you to the critics...I remember that time vividly...dont put too much stock into summer league...some players dont play well and screw around when they know the games mean nothing, and others play like beasts when the level of competition is low

I'm 40 and gotcha, I don't remember as vividly as you so no arguments here

TheGreatYacht
07-12-2017, 03:30 AM
My concerns with White are more obvious after some SL games. Really really wish they drafted Jordan Bell with the 29th.

Then found a way to trade up in the 2nd round to get Jonah Bolden.
Called it. Jordan Bell with a 5x5 statline yesterday.

2017: Derrick White
2016: Dejounte Murray
2015: Nikola Milutinov
2014: Kyle Anderson
2013: Livio Jean-Charles

Calling RC Drunkford's last 5 first round picks underwhelming is an understatement. Still a huge Murray believer but he's been scrubbing it up more than he's been living to the expectations so far.

Arcadian
07-12-2017, 03:51 AM
Fortunately, it's a guard-centric league now. Traditional bigs are all but extinct.