PDA

View Full Version : Hindsight Analysis: Rudy Gay or Vince Carter?

sexinthatsx
07-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I understand the fans that were buck wild over the signing with Rudy Gay, but the guy is coming off a potentially career ending injury. It seems like a steal for 8.5 million a year, but if you look at previous players with the same injury, the post-injury statistics says it all.

I didn't understand the hype for Rudy from other title contending teams. Even more baffling was the fact that Vince Carter was sent to the Kings for a one-year $8 million dollar deal. In hindsight, who would you have rather signed if you were the Spurs - Rudy Gay or Vince Carter?

I would have preferred Vince way more than Gay simply because of the injury. Add to the fact that Vince Carter expanded his game to hit the 3-pointer very well, I think signing him would have been leaps and bounds better for the Spurs.

Chinook
07-07-2017, 09:59 PM
Gay, no question. Spurs didn't need a role-player.

sananspursfan21
07-07-2017, 10:05 PM
I mean, 10 year younger legs. I'll put my money on the "youth" of Rudy Gay compared to VC any day of the week, achilles or not

RD2191
07-07-2017, 10:05 PM
:downspin:

TheGreatYacht
07-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Vince Carter is without a doubt, no one even comes close, the best 40yr old SG in the league. It's still Gay though... low risk high reward

ace3g
07-07-2017, 10:07 PM
If healthy, I like Gay's ability in the post. Again it was from 2015 but the video I saw, he looked comfortable vs Draymond in the post.

xellos88330
07-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Gay wins easily if healthy enough to replicate what he did pre-injury. If he is 60% of what he was, then I would still take him at that price.

Big Empty
07-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Kobe scored 60 points and he was 7 years older. Fuck it, Who else was available?

noles1983
07-07-2017, 10:26 PM
I would take Gay with both achilles torn over TP and his torn quad tendon.

tmtcsc
07-07-2017, 10:46 PM
I would take Gay with both achilles torn over TP and his torn quad tendon.

Absolutely.

sexinthatsx
07-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Vince Carter could still dunk and drive to the rim at 40 years old.

I guess my biggest concern is Gay's ability to be effective post injury. Particularly, these articles made it more discerning:

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2013/07/top-10-nba-careers-ruined-by-achilles-injuries-1992-2013/

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/article129430809.html

The difference in statistics pre-injury and post-injury is huge.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Both would be nice.

8FOR!3
07-07-2017, 11:15 PM
Vince Carter could still dunk and drive to the rim at 40 years old.

I guess my biggest concern is Gay's ability to be effective post injury. Particularly, these articles made it more discerning:

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2013/07/top-10-nba-careers-ruined-by-achilles-injuries-1992-2013/

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nba/article129430809.html

The difference in statistics pre-injury and post-injury is huge.

Are the pre-injury career stats or the season before the injury? Bc of course a player who's had a star career isn't going to come back from an injury at 34 or 37 and still put up star numbers but they probably weren't going to anyways. Seems like younger guys production fell off less. And I would still consider Rudy a younger guy.

tbdog
07-07-2017, 11:21 PM
Gay looks totally in shape. He looks ripped and apparently ready to go for training camp. He looks far more in shape than Kobe. I think many teams know that, and that's why he was slight after by contenders.

DAF86
07-07-2017, 11:33 PM

Are you implying Gay won't be a role-player? :lol

sexinthatsx
07-07-2017, 11:45 PM
Are the pre-injury career stats or the season before the injury? Bc of course a player who's had a star career isn't going to come back from an injury at 34 or 37 and still put up star numbers but they probably weren't going to anyways. Seems like younger guys production fell off less. And I would still consider Rudy a younger guy.

Pre-injury and post-injury career stats. At this point, all I'm asking for from Gay is 11 points and 4 rebounds per game. If he can average that, then he'll be worth the MLE in my book.

Mikeanaro
07-07-2017, 11:58 PM
Easy, VC is not 30 anymore.

JR3
07-07-2017, 11:59 PM
I think it's sixes but I'm a bigger fan of Vince... although older so probably not a better choice. I can't figure out why Vince has not decided to join a contender in the twighlight of his career. Why does he play for the losers? I thought he could be a sour at some point. Hoped for it anyways...

HarlemHeat37
07-08-2017, 12:02 AM
I think it's sixes but I'm a bigger fan of Vince... although older so probably not a better choice. I can't figure out why Vince has not decided to join a contender in the twighlight of his career. Why does he play for the losers? I thought he could be a sour at some point. Hoped for it anyways...

He said he doesn't wanna be a ring chaser, tbh..

Dex
07-08-2017, 12:14 AM
At this point, Vince = Manu. If we want to bring a 40-year-old spark plug onto the team, we already have a Spurs legend basically waiting in the wings.

Gay may be a risk after the injury, but his ceiling is WAY higher than Vince's if he can come back and show some of the previous form that made him a starter in the league. He looks hungry and ready to go after his rehab...but getting up and down the court at NBA speed is a different beast, so only time will tell.

Still, Spurs need a game-changer, not just another stop gap. Gay could be the former. Vince is definitely the latter.

alpha_HaZE
07-08-2017, 12:45 AM

If he wasn't healthy why leave all that money on the table? I think he realizes that his big payday is coming one year from now. It's simple, he comes to the Spurs, he competes for a ring and then gets a raise.

Blackjack
07-08-2017, 07:29 AM
Rudy has upside that could potentially give the Spurs a look that could turn into something pretty meaningful. It's all contingent on his recovery, and it might be in year-two, but it's worth the investment they made.

If Vince were younger, it'd be different. I remember people telling me RJ was a better fit than Vince. :lol

Ice009
07-08-2017, 07:51 AM
Rudy has upside that could potentially give the Spurs a look that could turn into something pretty meaningful. It's all contingent on his recovery, and it might be in year-two, but it's worth the investment they made.

If Vince were younger, it'd be different. I remember people telling me RJ was a better fit than Vince. :lol

Didn't the Spurs have the option to trade for either Vince a year or two earlier than when they got RJ? I can't remember exactly, but I think it was mentioned on here or an Express News article. If they had the choice, they made a mistake, a big one.

Blackjack
07-08-2017, 08:01 AM
Didn't the Spurs have the option to trade for either Vince a year or two earlier than when they got RJ? I can't remember exactly, but I think it was mentioned on here or an Express News article. If they had the choice, they made a mistake, a big one.

They were looking at both Vince and RJ. Now, it may have been out of their control - both parties have to agree - but people on here were adamantly arguing that RJ was the better get.

Vince has been underrated for a long time. Think he received too much hype initially, he didn't turn into the next MJ, and people failed to recognize he was still a phenomenal player

Raven
07-08-2017, 08:34 AM
i can't even...

Chinook
07-08-2017, 10:27 AM

Not at all. Orlando wanted Hill. Would have never had Kawhi had they done what you wanted.

Spur|n|Austin
07-08-2017, 10:51 AM
How could you even think this is a question? lol this fuckin guy.

SpursforSix
07-08-2017, 11:07 AM
If we get to use hindsight, shouldn't we get to wait until they've played some games?

therealtruth
07-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Would love to see Vince get a ring but Rudy obviously will help more. They're both looking like 1 yr rentals.

Hoops Czar
07-08-2017, 12:58 PM
But That's what they got.

Hoops Czar
07-08-2017, 01:00 PM
If we get to use hindsight, shouldn't we get to wait until they've played some games?

No hindsight needed here. For years, no Spurs fans wanted to touch him or trade for him. Now, that the Spurs signed him, everybody loves the signing.

Kurik
07-08-2017, 01:39 PM
Gay, not even close.

sexinthatsx
07-09-2017, 12:04 AM
I understand that Gay is 10 years younger, but the guy is coming off of a devastating injury. I think at this point in time, I would choose VC over Gay simply because history has not been kind for these types of injuries. Who knows, maybe this might turn out to be a massive anti-jinx thread.