PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Duncan scores 19 in loss

Kori Ellis
10-16-2005, 01:51 AM
Duncan scores 19 in loss
Web Posted: 10/16/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA101605.07C.SpursRockets.3887f3d.html

Tim Duncan continued to play well in the exhibition season, totaling 19 points and six rebounds in 23 minutes during the Spurs' 95-87 loss to Houston on Saturday night at the SBC Center.

The Spurs started Brent Barry and Michael Finley and used Bruce Bowen and Manu Ginobili off the bench. Finley and Van Exel totaled 13 points on 4-of-13 shooting.

"It is a slow, gradual process," Finley said. "I'm learning something new with every practice and every game."

The Spurs made their first cuts Saturday by waiving point guard Kyle Daniels and forward Jawad Williams. The team has 16 players and is expected to reduce its roster to no more than 14.

Melvin Sanders and Sharrod Ford likely will battle for the last spot if the Spurs decide to carry more than their 13 players with guaranteed contracts.

Sean Marks totaled 12 points, five rebounds and four blocks in 24 minutes. He had an impressive sequence in the final quarter when he dunked a lob from Ginobili, then swatted away a shot by Stromile Swift.

Yao recalls Collier as teammate: Yao Ming was shocked to hear Atlanta center Jason Collier died Saturday morning.

Players and team employees liked Collier during his three seasons in Houston.

"I remember my first game, my first preseason game, was here (in San Antonio)," Yao said. "It was the first night I got here, and he took me to the Hard Rock (Café) on the River Walk. It was the first meal I had with a teammate."

"I'm really upset about this. I can't believe it. Life is very fragile. Terrible, terrible."

Oberto expected back: Fabricio Oberto, who has missed the past three exhibition games, is expected to return for Tuesday's game in Indiana. Nazr Mohammed, who is in Kentucky with his family after the birth of his son, also missed his third consecutive game Saturday.

In Pop's corner: Count Houston coach Jeff Van Gundy among those who would have liked to see Spurs coach Gregg Popovich get the Olympic coaching job.

USA Basketball reportedly has selected Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski to guide Team USA at the 2006 World Championships and 2008 Olympics.

"Mike Krzyzewski is very deserving, but certainly nobody is more deserving than Gregg," said Van Gundy, who called Popovich the "best coach in the game."

Van Gundy said Popovich shouldn't be faulted for serving as an assistant at the 2002 World Championships and the 2004 Olympics, where Team USA won the bronze medal.

"I'm not sure with all that went on with the team we took to Greece, that the premise that they underachieved is accurate," Van Gundy said. "That's not to say they shouldn't have won a gold medal."

Rockets' Anderson content: After four forgettable seasons in Portland, Derek Anderson couldn't be happier to be with Houston.

The former Spurs guard signed a two-year contract (the second season is at his option) after the Trail Blazers waived him this summer under the league's amnesty rule.

"I'm just glad to be out Portland," Anderson said. "Every day the police were involved. We were in the paper more for being in trouble then we were for being a team.

"But do I have to thank (Trail Blazers president) Steve Patterson for helping me get out of there."

Kori Ellis
10-16-2005, 01:53 AM
They must have waived Jawad Williams after tonight's game.

It's interesting that it says that Sanders and Ford are competing for possibly one spot. I guess they won't be carrying 15 and maybe not even 14. Interesting.

MannyIsGod
10-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Thats what happens when your over the tax line.

timvp
10-16-2005, 02:40 AM
The team has 16 players and is expected to reduce its roster to no more than 14.

Cheap azz Holt.

Sanders and Ford both deserve roster spots. At worst, the Spurs can send them to the NBDL. Throwing one of those two players away is going to be a mistake.

:pctoss

slayermin
10-16-2005, 02:46 AM
Pop would be the ultimate Olympic Coach. Who knows the international scene better than Pop and RC and Presti?

Though Coack K is a good choice, Pop would make sure the guys that wants minutes will play team ball. And the scouting report Buford and Presti could supply would be invaluable.

FromWayDowntown
10-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Rockets' Anderson content: After four forgettable seasons in Portland, Derek Anderson couldn't be happier to be with Houston.

The former Spurs guard signed a two-year contract (the second season is at his option) after the Trail Blazers waived him this summer under the league's amnesty rule.

"I'm just glad to be out Portland," Anderson said. "Every day the police were involved. We were in the paper more for being in trouble then we were for being a team.

"But do I have to thank (Trail Blazers president) Steve Patterson for helping me get out of there."

Something about this makes me laugh on the inside. I just remember DA crowing in 2001 about how he was signing with a first-class franchise that knew how to win a championship. I guess that DA just keeps those comments in the playbook and hopes nobody really remembers what he actually said. I don't wish the dude any ill, but I have to say that he's not exactly the paragon of consistency.

JUUOT
10-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Cheap azz Holt.

Sanders and Ford both deserve roster spots. At worst, the Spurs can send them to the NBDL. Throwing one of those two players away is going to be a mistake.

:pctoss

how does it solve the money problem? with the new rules they would still count in the salary. spurs are already 600 000$ above the limit...
i sure hope they add a wing but even if ford seems nice do we need to carry a 7th big?