PDA

View Full Version : Simmons expected $50 million from the Spurs, mention having to deal with "politics"

SAGirl
07-15-2017, 02:00 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Simmons-on-new-deal-It-s-a-business-happy-11290435.php#photo-13137789

"It just business," Simmons told the Express-News. "It's not disappointing to me at all. That's just how it is. ... I wasn't disappointed about anything. I believe everything happened for a reason.

"I'm really not surprised," Simmons continued. "I didn't know what to expect. I was just trying to take it a day at a time and see what the opportunity was going to be."

He not only expected to be paid more, but he also didn't like having to deal with the team's politics, he wanted minutes guaranteed and a role. The guy is ambitious and wanted more. He didn't think he was going to progress in his career any further with the Spurs.

"No one expected it to be this tough," said Simmons. "A guy like me still has to deal with politics at the end of the day. I was a low-tier guy still, after what I did, it still wasn't enough. I know that. I was expecting more, but I'm happy. It's $20 million. People don't get that every day."

"I want to be in position to play a decent amount of minutes per game," said Simmons. "I feel like I can excel playing enough minutes per game. I explained that to Pop (Gregg Popovich (http://www.mysanantonio.com/search/?action=search&channel=sports%2Fspurs&inlineLink=1&searchindex=solr&query=%22Gregg+Popovich%22)) and he understand that. ... I want to be able to continue to improve and still make a name for myself and I wasn't going to do that (with the Spurs). Not like I wanted to."

Frankly selfishness is going to be around in this new post Timmy era. Lamarcus allegedly disgruntled and now this. How is Kawhi going to get guys to play with him (other stars?) if LMA is unhappy and his stats have declined after coming to the Spurs, and roleplayers with ambition like Simmons want bigger roles and feel like they can't get it here?

In a way, he played nightly. I know guys hate him, but Kyle was benched most of the season and it wasn't bc he was losing games when he played. It was to give way to Juice's ego and his desire to improve. He got his wish, he even got an amplified role in the playoffs due to Kawhi's and Tony's injury and it still wasn't enough. I wish him the best. He's going to get as many shots as he wants in Orlando.

The Manu brigade and the Patty brigade can chime in. When they both played with Juice, Juice was the 3'rd, or 4th scoring option even from the bench. In garbage time he tended to hog shots and in reality there were youngsters like Dijon and rookies whose only opportunities at the time were garbage time so it always kind of shocked me in a negative fashion to see Juice stacking numbers in trash time when he was always a rotation player and the others weren't.

Bottom line, yea I wanted him back, but I could see the seeds of some conflict brewing. Juice almost talking like he wants his own team and he hasn't arrived to that point.

itzsoweezee
07-15-2017, 02:04 AM
Seems pretty reasonable. He played better when he got consistent playing time and wanted to progress in his career. I think he made the right choice.

DeRozan m8
07-15-2017, 02:08 AM
Simmons is right, Pop and the Spurs held him back, never gave him a proper chance to polish and develop his game to its full potential.

Pops ego got in the way, again.

Good on Simmons for doing what he needed to do.

I dont think he deserved 50m, but we didn't need to pay him that to keep him.

Dude would have been a way better starter next season than G-League Green....

No doubt we'll get Manu back though....:rolleyes

benfti
07-15-2017, 02:12 AM
Fuck that, he ain't worth 16.5 million per

DeRozan m8
07-15-2017, 02:17 AM
Fuck that, he ain't worth 16.5 million per

Hell yeah, Andrew Gaze!!

Robz4000
07-15-2017, 02:18 AM
That 12:01 AM Patty Mills deal continues to fuck the Spurs...

Hoops Czar
07-15-2017, 02:20 AM
The 27-year-old Houston native walked into free agency with the intentions of securing a deal of at least $50 million. But it has not been a good offseason for many restricted free agents.

The Spurs made him unrestricted and he couldn't touch 50M. I mean, a two week span in the playoffs vs two full seasons of sub par basketball and he thinks he's worth 50M. Who the hell does he think he is? :lol

Spurtacular
07-15-2017, 02:24 AM
Simmons probably did the right thing for himself, even if that seems a little selfish on its face. He is 27 and wanted the pay day. This might be his only big pay day, honestly.

Spurtacular
07-15-2017, 02:26 AM

Yea, Patty hasn't quite reached that pre-injury level. I was more of a Mills fan than a Simmons fan; but for the make-up of this team, Simmons would have been the better asset going forward.

Hoops Czar
07-15-2017, 02:32 AM
Simmons probably did the right thing for himself, even if that seems a little selfish on its face. He is 27 and wanted the pay day. This might be his only big pay day, honestly.

I suppose Simmons can afford to take less with that big ass shoe deal he's about to sign. :lol

SAGirl
07-15-2017, 02:35 AM

It wasn't just Mills...
Juice had ambition and wanted a bigger roles, shots, etc. He wanted full starter minutes bottom line.
Now the rumors of the Danny trade make perfect sense.
Guys here were arguing for it anyways. I legit think Spurs tried to make it happen but it was chancy. The Danny trade didn't fall through... Simmons didn't take their starting offer, they sent him to the FA market.. he didn't get offer sheets bc the market was not what anyone expected. I can see him seeing the spurs draft even more guards, seeing reports of Manu "leaning in" to coming back and he knew he wasn't going to get what he wanted. At that point him and his agent started to look at trades, etc.
Eventually when the trades didn't go through either, he simply asked out and the Spurs let him go per his request.

r0drig0lac
07-15-2017, 06:05 AM
Seems pretty reasonable. He played better when he got consistent playing time and wanted to progress in his career. I think he made the right choice.

Chinook
07-15-2017, 06:12 AM
The Spurs weren't trying to trade Green to give Simmons a role. They were keeping Simmons knowing that if they got anything of value in a Green trade, they could open up $8 Million in cap space while being able to have a two-guard who knew the system. If the goal had been to make Simmons the starter no matter what, they could have done that easily by just not signing Gay and moving Green to the third-wing spot with Anderson and the prospects fighting for the final spot.

The issue is that in contrast to them "trying to make Simmons a starter" the Spurs weren't willing to even guarantee a backup role for him. Dude wasn't going to beat out Green or Kawhi (obviously), and he routinely showed himself to be a net-negative player while guys like Anderson were net-positives. Gay may well play primarily PF, but he will also get minutes at SF. White or Forbes getting into the rotation or Manu coming back would mean Simmons projected to be out of the top-10 altogether.

So he peaced out and blamed politics. He thinks the way he played against the Warriors was somehow above-average. Like he was brave for "showing up" when he took a bunch of shots and got inefficient points while the Warriors focused on stopping everyone else. And of course, some fans think the same thing. I'm happy for him that he's going to a situation where he can get a better chance at those minutes than he would have in SA. I'm even gladder than he's gone, though.

therealtruth
07-15-2017, 06:22 AM
This guy has a desire to get better and his defense is up there with Green's. Should have guaranteed him the sixth man spot.

ceperez
07-15-2017, 06:29 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Simmons-on-new-deal-It-s-a-business-happy-11290435.php#photo-13137789

He not only expected to be paid more, but he also didn't like having to deal with the team's politics, he wanted minutes guaranteed and a role. The guy is ambitious and wanted more. He didn't think he was going to progress in his career any further with the Spurs.

Frankly selfishness is going to be around in this new post Timmy era. Lamarcus allegedly disgruntled and now this. How is Kawhi going to get guys to play with him (other stars?) if LMA is unhappy and his stats have declined after coming to the Spurs, and roleplayers with ambition like Simmons want bigger roles and feel like they can't get it here?

In a way, he played nightly. I know guys hate him, but Kyle was benched most of the season and it wasn't bc he was losing games when he played. It was to give way to Juice's ego and his desire to improve. He got his wish, he even got an amplified role in the playoffs due to Kawhi's and Tony's injury and it still wasn't enough. I wish him the best. He's going to get as many shots as he wants in Orlando.

The Manu brigade and the Patty brigade can chime in. When they both played with Juice, Juice was the 3'rd, or 4th scoring option even from the bench. In garbage time he tended to hog shots and in reality there were youngsters like Dijon and rookies whose only opportunities at the time were garbage time so it always kind of shocked me in a negative fashion to see Juice stacking numbers in trash time when he was always a rotation player and the others weren't.

Bottom line, yea I wanted him back, but I could see the seeds of some conflict brewing. Juice almost talking like he wants his own team and he hasn't arrived to that point.

Politics meaning Murray was getting more start treatment that he was?

I think everyone wants to play and its true that Simmons should have received more minutes in the regular season. However if you got Green and Manu ahead of you in the lineup and you can't play the PG position or are too small for the SF position then I can't see a lot of playing time. Even in Orlando he's behind two other players in the pecking order.

ceperez
07-15-2017, 06:36 AM

Spurs play a lot more disciplined offense that as a consequence gives them a record much better than the talent that's in the team.

There are plenty of guys in this league that have a lot of talent and do show a lot of impressive moves. But many of them are just inefficient players.

Simmons is okay, but for some reason he lost his confidence in shooting the 3 point shot.
Dedmon is okay, but his offensive capabilities were limited.

I think that both were held back though. You could call that politics in the sense that many players are higher in the pecking order. You will find that in every team. You can't out show folks that are ahead of you.

What I noticed though about Simmons was that he disliked Murray showing off. They had bad chemistry in last year's SL in that Murray wasn't acknowledging Simmons. There is a pecking order to things, Simmons knows this and expects it. Pop has always asked him to play in a controlled way, that may of course be interpreted as deferring to other players!

exstatic
07-15-2017, 07:03 AM
Jonathon? If it weren't for the Spurs organization, you'd still be playing in Sugarland. Good luck with your minutes and lack of winning or playoffs in Orlando.

Poolboy5623
07-15-2017, 07:20 AM
Didn't Simmons have a cute little quote about how " you have to be tough to play for pop?" ...it was something along those lines anyways. Is he not tough enough?

hater
07-15-2017, 07:32 AM
Its a shit day for san antonio when you let Simmons walk and keep Manure and Shitty Bricks

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Jonathon? If it weren't for the Spurs organization, you'd still be playing in Sugarland. Good luck with your minutes and lack of winning or playoffs in Orlando.
Now say it without crying

TheGreatYacht
07-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Its a shit day for san antonio when you let Simmons walk and keep Manure and Shitty Bricks

RD2191
07-15-2017, 09:03 AM

TBH :lol

Darius Bieber
07-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Orlando got him for 3 years/$20 mil

MultiTroll
07-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Politics meaning Murray was getting more start treatment that he was?
Politics regarding Pop n Porker more likely I suspect.
Also curious to see how many millions Manu gets. Very happy with his season but the 16 mil scam that sent Boban packing, that was soo unDuncanlike.

coachmac87
07-15-2017, 09:30 AM
I respect Simmons on him wanting more minutes etc..

But this people should overreact due to a couple games against GSW. I've always liked Simmons and it sucks to see him leave but his mindset as a player/career is different then Spurs franchise

When a person puts personal over team it can become somewhat a problem

Ice009
07-15-2017, 09:42 AM
I respect Simmons on him wanting more minutes etc..

But this people should overreact due to a couple games against GSW. I've always liked Simmons and it sucks to see him leave but his mindset as a player/career is different then Spurs franchise

When a person puts personal over team it can become somewhat a problem

That is exactly what it appears like Aldridge has done and he is still on the team. He's making the same amount in one year that Simmons is going to make over 3 years. So why have they let Simmons go and it still looks like they're going to include Aldridge in their plans for this upcoming season. May as well just dump him for expiring contracts (that end after this upcoming season), or try and get picks. Unless they are unable to get either of those things, then I guess riding out the season with him is the only way left to go.

spurs10
07-15-2017, 09:54 AM
The Spurs and Pop were his lucky break. Glad he got paid and is on a team that will likely give him more minutes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Him and his agent tried to parlay four good playoff games into 50 million. The Spurs aren't stupid. If he wants to call it politics, go ahead, but his agent sucks if he thought for a second he was getting 50 million. Once the restricted tag was removed all he could get was 20 over three years.

I wanted him back it but the Buckets off-season negotiations from several years ago should have been a cautionary tale to his agent. Kid got bad advice from his agent. Good luck to him in Orlando.

daslicer
07-15-2017, 10:12 AM
Simmon is bitter because the Spurs called the bluff of his agent and himself and didn't overpay him. Spurs deal was very fair. Nobody can confirm if the third year was guaranteed by the spurs but in his first 2 years he would have made 18 mil. Even if the spurs didn't resign him in year 3 it's hard to believe he would have not a found team to sign with for at least a few mil hence allowing him to still make more money than the magic deal. This move Simmons made was all about ego and being petty.

bklynspursfan
07-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Orlando got him for 3 years/$20 mil

I think you mean Simmons had to settle for 3 years / 20 mil

nyspurguy
07-15-2017, 10:15 AM
I definitely thought Simmons should have been a starter in place of Danny Green. I know Danny plays great defense but he leaves alot to be desired at that 2 guard position. Simmons may not be on Danny's level on defense but offensively he's worlds apart. You need your 2 guard to be able to get a bucket and possibly create for others. J-SIMMONS can do that better than D-Green.

Mr. Body
07-15-2017, 10:16 AM
The comparison with Stephen Jackson is pretty sad. Jackson was far better a player than Simmons ever was.

I think the team just realized they didn't need to spend that kind of money for a player that makes a good play every once in a while.

Mr. Body
07-15-2017, 10:16 AM
I definitely thought Simmons should have been a starter in place of Danny Green. I know Danny plays great defense but he leaves alot to be desired at that 2 guard position. Simmons may not be on Danny's level on defense but offensively he's worlds apart. You need your 2 guard to be able to get a bucket and possibly create for others. J-SIMMONS can do that better than D-Green.

This is almost criminally stupid. No offense.

nyspurguy
07-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Fuck it, I say start Forbes and Murray in the backcourt.

coachmac87
07-15-2017, 10:23 AM
That is exactly what it appears like Aldridge has done and he is still on the team. He's making the same amount in one year that Simmons is going to make over 3 years. So why have they let Simmons go and it still looks like they're going to include Aldridge in their plans for this upcoming season. May as well just dump him for expiring contracts (that end after this upcoming season), or try and get picks. Unless they are unable to get either of those things, then I guess riding out the season with him is the only way left to go.

I agre LMA mindset and approach hasn't been ideal and his selfish acts have lowered his value with the Spurs and across the league..ALL teams want their players to "buy in" into their systems or culture tbh. But when a MAX guy has issues it can be tough to resolve due to the $$ they make and their role on the team. Look at Melo for example..he's been disgruntled for awhile now and been more public about situation.. If LMA made less money he'd already be gone but that's not the case..

The worst part about the LMA deal is he's shunning a well known/respected winning culture in PATFO. Not a good look for his value going elsewhere....it's hard to keep a player happy like that..he's getting paid MAX $$, winning 60 Games, making All-Star teams etc.. still not good enough apparently.

At the end of the day it's still up to the player to produce and play good. If they did that more consistently they'd have more leverage to make a better case but PATFO will always get the benefit of the doubt due to their track record.

peacemaker885
07-15-2017, 10:44 AM
A disgruntled LMA is still better than no LMA at this point.

sasaint
07-15-2017, 10:53 AM

I agree. I think Juice's comments about politics were aimed at Manu. I liked Juice, and I wanted him back. I recognize that I was betting on his further development and not on his current level of play. For the right money I thought that was a good gamble - especially if the team sent Manu out to pasture and turned his role over to Simmons.

I always thought Simmons played (and looked) like LStephenson. I hope his post-Spurs career turns out better than Lance's post-Pacers career.

With his electrifying highlight-reel plays, Juice was a crowd favorite. He will be missed on that basis alone.

Uriel
07-15-2017, 10:58 AM
FWIW, Jonathon Simmons was Aldridge's best friend on the team as far as I know.

HarlemHeat37
07-15-2017, 11:53 AM
I would have liked him back at 9/27 or anything less, tbh..still, I understand teams being reluctant to pay for a guy for a few games worth of production..not to mention that his breakout series that Spurs fans love to cite featured a 48.5% TS, which is atrocious in terms of a "breakout series" :lol

bklynspursfan
07-15-2017, 11:59 AM
I agree. I think Juice's comments about politics were aimed at Manu. I liked Juice, and I wanted him back. I recognize that I was betting on his further development and not on his current level of play. For the right money I thought that was a good gamble - especially if the team sent Manu out to pasture and turned his role over to Simmons.

I always thought Simmons played (and looked) like LStephenson. I hope his post-Spurs career turns out better than Lance's post-Pacers career.

With his electrifying highlight-reel plays, Juice was a crowd favorite. He will be missed on that basis alone.

How were they aimed at Manu? Simmons played more than Manu in the playoffs, and damn near the same in the regular season.

The politics could've been about anything. He likely would've seen an increase in minutes again too, and if Manu did return, I don't see any scenario in which Simmons doesn't play more than him.

Simmons wanted more $$ and wanted to be able to showcase what he can do. He will have lots of time, and likely garbage time to do that in Orlando now.

Leetonidas
07-15-2017, 12:03 PM
Fuck that shit. If it wasn't for the spurs this dude would be working at a waffle house in Houston washing dishes trying to feed his kids. Foh with this “they held me back” bullshit

nyspurguy
07-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Does Pop tell players not to showboat?

DPG21920
07-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Simmons, without shooting & defense that is overrated mostly (the idea of Simmons defense with his agility is better than his actual results 99% of the time we've seen him play) is the type of guy you can replace. It's really as simple as that. Especially if there is attitude problems.

He worked hard, made himself an NBA player and got a nice deal for his family. I would have been cool with him being back, but he is replaceable.

Those harping on Mills doesn't detract from that. 2 wrongs don't make a right, etc..

sasaint
07-15-2017, 12:19 PM
How were they aimed at Manu? Simmons played more than Manu in the playoffs, and damn near the same in the regular season.

The politics could've been about anything. He likely would've seen an increase in minutes again too, and if Manu did return, I don't see any scenario in which Simmons doesn't play more than him.

Simmons wanted more $$ and wanted to be able to showcase what he can do. He will have lots of time, and likely garbage time to do that in Orlando now.

With respect to Simmons' minutes vs. Manu's minutes, I don't believe the quantity of minutes was really the issue (in Simmons' eyes) but the quality of those minutes. More of Simmons' minutes came in garbage time. I suspect he believes he is ready for prime time. If he blossoms like some of us hoped, Juice may see a big increase in minutes in Orlando. I would be disappointed, but not surprised, to see him relegated to virtually the same role and minutes there.

SAGirl
07-15-2017, 12:42 PM
This guy has a desire to get better and his defense is up there with Green's. Should have guaranteed him the sixth man spot.

That wasn't going to happen. I think if he got the 9 million offer, he would have played for sure bc I don't think a team would pay a guy that kind of money not to play him, but he would have played the role and minutes that were better for the team. Consider Pau getting paid $16 mill last season and eventually becoming a bench player. He still played minutes, closed games, etc... he wasn't playing insignificant minutes, but he was demoted bc it was better for the team defensively to avoid the "bad defensive starts"... and if while being on that contract, he wasn't playing well enough he would have been traded out like SJax, Jefferson etc.

So, I am not seeing the Spurs guaranteeing a guy minutes and a role. That is not the way I have seen the Spurs manage their team.

tholdren
07-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Him and his agent tried to parlay four good playoff games into 50 million. The Spurs aren't stupid. If he wants to call it politics, go ahead, but his agent sucks if he thought for a second he was getting 50 million. Once the restricted tag was removed all he could get was 20 over three years.

I wanted him back it but the Buckets off-season negotiations from several years ago should have been a cautionary tale to his agent. Kid got bad advice from his agent. Good luck to him in Orlando.

Keepin it rizzzeal

MultiTroll
07-15-2017, 12:54 PM

Where is the 50 million figure being quoted from?
I don't see anything in the article about 50.

kaji157
07-15-2017, 01:00 PM
3 years and 20 millions would have been a very affordable contract and could allow us to trade green.

SAGirl
07-15-2017, 01:22 PM

I agree he will be missed, but Stephenson is a good example. He was an integral part of a team that got to the ECF... and a better playmaker and rebounder too, in that team. He was a starter too, not a bench player getting half his minutes in garbage time... He got paid and went to a worse team and he couldn't produce. He's not a natural shooter and going to a team in charlotte with poor spacing and no stars it was a different situation. He was nearly out of the league, while being a far younger player and maybe even more talented.

All this is about Juice's ego. His agent actually did a good job getting him a multiyear deal in this market when guys like Tyreke Evans are taking 3 million per one year etc. The agent ensured no matter what happens at least Juice has his parachute contract already... more than I will ever make for perspective. But if you hear Juice talk this isn't about his agent brainwashing him or whatever. It's his ego.

SAGirl
07-15-2017, 01:28 PM
I would have liked him back at 9/27 or anything less, tbh..still, I understand teams being reluctant to pay for a guy for a few games worth of production..not to mention that his breakout series that Spurs fans love to cite featured a 48.5% TS, which is atrocious in terms of a "breakout series" :lol

wow I didn't know that. :lol

SAYONARA JUICE.

SAGirl
07-15-2017, 01:30 PM

The politics comment is about playing time (others ahead of him), touches (Manu and Patty getting their touches in the bench), and role: he wanted more shots put simply. That's not how the Spurs roll, so culture wise it wasn't a good fit.

Poolboy5623
07-15-2017, 01:39 PM

A starting two guard also needs to be able to shoot the ball...

Capt Bringdown
07-15-2017, 01:46 PM
Simmons, without shooting & defense that is overrated mostly (the idea of Simmons defense with his agility is better than his actual results 99% of the time we've seen him play) is the type of guy you can replace. It's really as simple as that.

If it's as easy as you claim, then the Spurs aren't doing a good job of finding athletes to play on this team. With Simmons gone, we have to be one of the most non-athletic teams in the NBA. Pop's vision seems to be Leonard + a bunch of stiff spot-up shooters who couldn't make their way past a traffic cone.

sasaint
07-15-2017, 01:54 PM
I agree he will be missed, but Stephenson is a good example. He was an integral part of a team that got to the ECF... and a better playmaker and rebounder too, in that team. He was a starter too, not a bench player getting half his minutes in garbage time... He got paid and went to a worse team and he couldn't produce. He's not a natural shooter and going to a team in charlotte with poor spacing and no stars it was a different situation. He was nearly out of the league, while being a far younger player and maybe even more talented.

All this is about Juice's ego. His agent actually did a good job getting him a multiyear deal in this market when guys like Tyreke Evans are taking 3 million per one year etc. The agent ensured no matter what happens at least Juice has his parachute contract already... more than I will ever make for perspective. But if you hear Juice talk this isn't about his agent brainwashing him or whatever. It's his ego.

His ego took about a $30MM hit, looking for fiddy and settling for twinny.

nyspurguy
07-15-2017, 01:58 PM
A starting two guard also needs to be able to shoot the ball...

Yeah I'm sure most would prefer Green over Simmons. I just think Simmons was the best shooting guard we had on the roster. I know his shot wasn't Klay Thompson like but he is a good enough shooter and hopefully improving. He can create his own shot, he drives to the basket, he can hit the 3-ball. No reason he couldn't be our starting 2 guard. Danny Green just leaves too much to be desired from that position.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Yeah I'm sure most would prefer Green over Simmons. I just think Simmons was the best shooting guard we had on the roster. I know his shot wasn't Klay Thompson like but he is a good enough shooter and hopefully improving. He can create his own shot, he drives to the basket, he can hit the 3-ball. No reason he couldn't be our starting 2 guard. Danny Green just leaves too much to be desired from that position.

The two guard doesn't need to create in the Spurs offense. Their job is to shoot. Simmons isn't that great at it. No idea why that is so hard for people to understand.

DPG21920
07-15-2017, 02:18 PM
If it's as easy as you claim, then the Spurs aren't doing a good job of finding athletes to play on this team. With Simmons gone, we have to be one of the most non-athletic teams in the NBA. Pop's vision seems to be Leonard + a bunch of stiff spot-up shooters who couldn't make their way past a traffic cone.

It's not about finding athletes - it's about finding defenders. No one would say Kyle is an athlete, yet? A very good defender. No one would say Danny is a great athlete, yet? He laps Simmons on defense. Plus they have Kawhi who's a great athlete. LMA isn't a great athlete, yet? Tremendous paint defender/anchor.

Seeing the picture here? People keep projecting what they hoped Simmons what be or what his physical profile represents without actually looking at the results.

DAF86
07-15-2017, 02:27 PM
50 millions? Besides being a mediocre player, he is delusional too. :lol

skulls138
07-15-2017, 02:34 PM
Good luck to Simmons. He had some good moments, especially in the playoffs but hes nothing to worry about IMO. To me hes no...say...Gary Neal if comparing players that did it the hard way and definitely no KA (that is if KA plays up to his potential). KA could learn a thing or two from Simmons though which is to take advantage of the opportunity given.

Prose
07-15-2017, 03:59 PM
i feel like you should have paid simmons over patty. he is a better more versatile defender and that is what you need to switch vs the warriors and houston. He also showed that he can create his own when all the spurs stars when down in the playoffs. something that patty showed us is when everybody went down his play got worse bc he didn't have anybody to draw attention from him on offense.

BillMc
07-15-2017, 04:15 PM

This. He has that 20 mill because Pop and RC gave him a chance to show himself and develop. I understand why he left, but he shouldn't be putting it out the media.

SpurOutofTownFan
07-15-2017, 04:33 PM

Nothing wrong with the guy getting more money. The Spurs weren't going to be paying that money anyway. And the other two guys have nothing to do with Simmons. Despite the fact you always manage to discuss Manu in every thread.

SpurOutofTownFan
07-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Now say it without crying

It's the fucking truth. The Goddamn fucking truth, like with so many other "discoveries" the Spurs have done throughout the years he's another guy who was no one before the Spurs got an eye on him and now he's a fucking multimillionaire. I liked Simmons - it's a player the Spurs would need, no question in my mind - it's just sad that he wanted to talk about it like a bitter mother fucker. Doing himself a big disservice.

Throughout the years we have gotten accustomed to players badmouthing the hand that fed them.

BatManu20
07-15-2017, 04:38 PM
A SG who shoots 29% from 3 is not worth $50M, period.

baseline bum
07-15-2017, 04:44 PM
$50 million? :lmao

What complete lunacy. The Spurs would have had to trade Green or Aldridge or renounce Gasol to open up that kind of money. The most the Spurs could have offered was around 4 years, $36 million. If he could have gotten an offer sheet for any more than that the Spurs could not have matched without gutting the roster or renouncing Gasol, and the latter seems unthinkable after Gasol opted out to give the Spurs a chance at landing Chris Paul. Simmons' agent is just an amateur if he couldn't see the Spurs were handcuffed to 4 years, $36 million or less.

Chinook
07-15-2017, 04:56 PM
$50 million? :lmao

What complete lunacy. The Spurs would have had to trade Green or Aldridge or renounce Gasol to open up that kind of money. The most the Spurs could have offered was around 4 years, $36 million. If he could have gotten an offer sheet for any more than that the Spurs could not have matched without gutting the roster or renouncing Gasol, and the latter seems unthinkable after Gasol opted out to give the Spurs a chance at landing Chris Paul. Simmons' agent is just an amateur if he couldn't see the Spurs were handcuffed to 4 years, $36 million or less.

Spurs could have matched $50M/4 just as easily as $36M/4

baseline bum
07-15-2017, 04:57 PM
Spurs could have matched $50M/4 just as easily as $36M/4

I though Early Bird they could only match up to an MLE level contract without clearing capspace.

Galileo
07-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Simmons quit because he was sick of Pop taking cheap shots at Trump. Simmons can succeed in life without Black Lives Matter. The Bill of Rights is what leads to success in America.

dabom
07-15-2017, 05:07 PM
Simmons quit because he was sick of Pop talking cheap shots at Trump. Simmons can succeed in life without Black Lives Matter. The Bill of Rights is what leads to success in America.

:lmao :lmao

Atl Spur
07-15-2017, 05:08 PM
Simmons quit because he was sick of Pop talking cheap shots at Trump. Simmons can succeed in life without Black Lives Matter. The Bill of Rights is what leads to success in America.

Hey dude.........please stop typing.

Chinook
07-15-2017, 05:18 PM
I though Early Bird they could only match up to an MLE level contract without clearing capspace.

Simmons was an Arenas RFA, so teams had to offer contracts the Spurs could match with EB rights. Think Asik/Lin for what a max looks like.

Truth4sale$
07-15-2017, 05:30 PM
It's a shame money mattered more to Simmons that winning and developing. With the Spurs he would have been a good 2nd or 3 rd option and perennial playoff participant. With Orlando, he will get his numbers but he won't get winning, but i guess it did not matter. Afterall, every ex spur has such a great track record of success after leaving the Spurs. I do fault the Spurs for neither standing their ground, and simply matching any offer as long as it takes or trading Simmons for at least a 2nd round pick. What was wrong with that? That's the part I don't get, Spurs management botched that one.

still.focused
07-15-2017, 06:19 PM
Simmons wasn't great but I'd rather him than Green and/or Manu

Kool Bob Love
07-15-2017, 07:16 PM

Facts.

MultiTroll
07-15-2017, 07:26 PM
50 millions? Besides being a mediocre player, he is delusional too. :lol
Please link to quote where Simmons said he wanted 50 million.
Or are you just parroting what OP wrote?

coachmac87
07-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Jabari wrote the 50M thing in the article saying that was his expectation

Chinook
07-15-2017, 07:32 PM
All this after Pop coddled his ass all year.

Budkin
07-15-2017, 07:33 PM
All in for 2018. This year is going to suck.

coachmac87
07-15-2017, 07:35 PM

For cliff jumpers like you?? Absolutely

toki9
07-15-2017, 07:43 PM

From Jabari Young's article: "The 27-year-old Houston native walked into free agency with the intentions of securing a deal of at least $50 million."

MaNu4Tres
07-15-2017, 08:30 PM

What do you guys expect for 2018 exactly?

Its likely going to be like summer of 03'. All big names are staying put or going to LA.

timtonymanu
07-15-2017, 08:35 PM
What do you guys expect for 2018 exactly?

Its likely going to be like summer of 03'. All big names are staying put or going to LA.

TBH.

BatManu20
07-15-2017, 08:46 PM

We're still going to be a 50+ win team if we stay healthy, and Kawhi has a legit shot at MVP. Not a total waste tbh.

Atl Spur
07-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Facts.

Have you served this country in any capacity? You just like to talk I'm thinking.........

Clipper Nation
07-15-2017, 09:01 PM
Simmons quit because he was sick of Pop talking cheap shots at Trump.

Damn. This fact has the Poopsuckers running some serious damage control. :wow

cd98
07-15-2017, 09:02 PM
From Jabari Young's article: "The 27-year-old Houston native walked into free agency with the intentions of securing a deal of at least $50 million."

This took a serious blow when they found out Billy King is no longer the GM for the Nets.

cd98
07-15-2017, 09:06 PM
It's a shame money mattered more to Simmons that winning and developing. With the Spurs he would have been a good 2nd or 3 rd option and perennial playoff participant. With Orlando, he will get his numbers but he won't get winning, but i guess it did not matter. Afterall, every ex spur has such a great track record of success after leaving the Spurs. I do fault the Spurs for neither standing their ground, and simply matching any offer as long as it takes or trading Simmons for at least a 2nd round pick. What was wrong with that? That's the part I don't get, Spurs management botched that one.

Dude, at 28, that's probably as good as you'll get in the NBA. Not sure he's going to be in the NBA when his athleticism declines. A player in his tier has to take the money while he can get it. He was just unrealistic about how much money he could get.

Budkin
07-15-2017, 10:10 PM
For cliff jumpers like you?? Absolutely

What's to celebrate exactly? Another year of completely wasting the prime of one of the best talents in the league? I've seen enough of that shit for a lifetime.

SequSpur
07-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Simmon is bitter because the Spurs called the bluff of his agent and himself and didn't overpay him. Spurs deal was very fair. Nobody can confirm if the third year was guaranteed by the spurs but in his first 2 years he would have made 18 mil. Even if the spurs didn't resign him in year 3 it's hard to believe he would have not a found team to sign with for at least a few mil hence allowing him to still make more money than the magic deal. This move Simmons made was all about ego and being petty.

Source?

SequSpur
07-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Where is the 50 million figure being quoted from?
I don't see anything in the article about 50.
I agree, bunch of fucking trolls in spurstalk guessing shit... fuck pop

SnakeBoy
07-15-2017, 10:16 PM

:lol

This is the first time Galileo has made me lol

therealtruth
07-15-2017, 10:46 PM
It's pretty much clear now the Spurs overpaid for Patty and letting Simmons get away for only $13 M guaranteed makes no sense. He's one of the players that gave the best chance against dethroning the Warriors.

cjw
07-15-2017, 10:58 PM
It's pretty much clear now the Spurs overpaid for Patty and letting Simmons get away for only $13 M guaranteed makes no sense. He's one of the players that gave the best chance against dethroning the Warriors.

How do you know the Spurs didn't offer him what they thought he was worth (say $30 over three, not all guaranteed in year three) while he wanted $50 million. They could have had both in their plans, except Simmons didn't bite. Stop treating it as either/or.

The Thunder lost friggen James Harden over less (trading him after he didn't take their extension). Simmons was pissed that they called his bluff and he lost. He'll get over it and fire his agent.

Anyway, Mills will be a much easier contract to move than what Simmons wanted ... his Orlando deal is good but never an option. He'll always have a role in the league and it's not an albatross. Rather roll the dice with Brandon Paul.

duncan2k5
07-15-2017, 11:12 PM
Mills is unplayable against the team we need to beat... Simmons was the only one along with Murray that displayed heart... Some of you are making it seem like Simmons was being unreasonable... The guy never knew if he was gonna play or not... There were stretches of the regular season where he was inexplicably benched for multiple games in a row, but Kyle and Manu were stinking it up... Especially Manu who knew that he was gonna play every night regardless... If u couldn't see that Simmons was treated differently in a culture that preaches treating everyone the same u weren't watching... He deserved more respect... No one would come back to a situation where Danny Green is allowed to clank threes, play mediocre defense and basically be incapable of being played VS the dubs because he can't dribble or pass, but you get a reduced role regardless of how good you play simply because guys were on the team longer

dabom
07-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Shut up you faggot bitch. :lol

Atl Spur
07-15-2017, 11:17 PM
Why was this the best deal he could get??????? Because he is what the Spurs know him to be....a athletic low IQ basketball player. If he had stayed in San Antonio they would have looked out for him like they do their players. You won't make all the money in San Antonio but you will get the best of both worlds professionally. Winning & Money

TheDoctor
07-15-2017, 11:26 PM

coachmac87
07-15-2017, 11:28 PM
What's to celebrate exactly? Another year of completely wasting the prime of one of the best talents in the league? I've seen enough of that shit for a lifetime.

Or how about just compete and enjoy watching your favorite team that you love discussing publicly on a forum...hope for the best and see what happens.

Stop acting like the Spurs didn't have success last year and don't have something to build on..

dabom
07-15-2017, 11:30 PM
Dude asking for 50. :lol

duncan2k5
07-15-2017, 11:34 PM

Not true... A lot of rumors going around to make Simmy look bad, when it was really Pop disrespecting Simmy

Galileo
07-15-2017, 11:38 PM
Tim Duncan retired for the same reason Simmons left: The bizarre strange left-wing conspiracy theory garbage from Pop against President Trump. I stand with Tim and Simmons.

Kindergarten Cop
07-15-2017, 11:39 PM
Tim Duncan retired for the same reason Simmons left: The bizarre strange left-wing conspiracy theory garbage from Pop against President Trump. I stand with Tim and Simmons.

Did you forget the blue font?

Clipper Nation
07-15-2017, 11:48 PM

SAGirl
07-15-2017, 11:56 PM
They made it seems like Spurs could have had him. Although he was asking a lot to start, (the 50 million)... nothing was offered from the Spurs, who sent him into the market to look for deals and the Orlando offer was the best he could get. In reality, I am now completely sympathetic to Jsimms. I wished him the best before, but I completely understand this move now... after no offers from the Spurs, if the money was equal or even similar, he'd rather play somewhere else. The Spurs on top of not offering him a deal, gave Mills a 50 million deal at 12:01, got Rudy Gay, met with Andre Iguodala who was just using RC for leverage, drafted yet another guard, backed out of the sign and trade for Chandler, etc. Even with Simmons being a veteran who could play well his role wasn't guaranteed, his playing time would continue to fluctuate as Pop went mad scientist mode as he usually does, etc.

Not ever getting an offer from the Spurs places things in a different light. The market turned out to be really tough but I think Spurs also alienated JSimms and I could understand the disappointment. Ultimately Spurs did him right by letting him go free since at that point it was what he wanted. He could have ended up signing the QO instead but for what purpose? The guy wanted to play somewhere else.

BillMc

Exactly.:lol RC knows his value. Guy shouldn't be mad at the Spurs. They gave him opportunity and now he's making 20 million. If he's smart, he's set for life. But simmons seems like the type of guy likely to be be broke 5 years out of the league. He'll be 45 and working at Hardees while cursing Pop because he somehow screwed him over.

Buddy Mignon
Fuck all you faggots

RD2191
07-15-2017, 11:57 PM
Mills is unplayable against the team we need to beat... Simmons was the only one along with Murray that displayed heart... Some of you are making it seem like Simmons was being unreasonable... The guy never knew if he was gonna play or not... There were stretches of the regular season where he was inexplicably benched for multiple games in a row, but Kyle and Manu were stinking it up... Especially Manu who knew that he was gonna play every night regardless... If u couldn't see that Simmons was treated differently in a culture that preaches treating everyone the same u weren't watching... He deserved more respect... No one would come back to a situation where Danny Green is allowed to clank threes, play mediocre defense and basically be incapable of being played VS the dubs because he can't dribble or pass, but you get a reduced role regardless of how good you play simply because guys were on the team longer

Truth bomb TBH

DMC
07-16-2017, 12:51 AM
No, he's 27 years old when he entered the league. He's not being petty. He could do a Tony and end up out for a season, and he'd be fucked. He's trying to get paid because he probably doesn't think this will ever come around again. 2 million more for 3 years at least means he'll have a place to live for 3 years unless he gets traded to some other team as part of a package deal for someone like Griffin.

07-16-2017, 01:00 AM
:lol why is OP making up fake news? You don't need to character assassinate everyone that leaves.

spurraider21
07-16-2017, 01:03 AM
Damn. This fact has the Poopsuckers running some serious damage control. :wow
coming from the guy who said he wouldn't vote for trump and was going to write in ron paul :lmao

toki9
07-16-2017, 01:43 AM
They made it seems like Spurs could have had him. Although he was asking a lot to start, (the 50 million)... nothing was offered from the Spurs, who sent him into the market to look for deals and the Orlando offer was the best he could get. In reality, I am now completely sympathetic to Jsimms. I wished him the best before, but I completely understand this move now... after no offers from the Spurs, if the money was equal or even similar, he'd rather play somewhere else. The Spurs on top of not offering him a deal, gave Mills a 50 million deal at 12:01, got Rudy Gay, met with Andre Iguodala who was just using RC for leverage, drafted yet another guard, backed out of the sign and trade for Chandler, etc. Even with Simmons being a veteran who could play well his role wasn't guaranteed, his playing time would continue to fluctuate as Pop went mad scientist mode as he usually does, etc.

Not ever getting an offer from the Spurs places things in a different light. The market turned out to be really tough but I think Spurs also alienated JSimms and I could understand the disappointment. Ultimately Spurs did him right by letting him go free since at that point it was what he wanted. He could have ended up signing the QO instead but for what purpose? The guy wanted to play somewhere else.

I think the relationship broke down before he went out to get the Orlando offer. As his agent has been clarifying, there were no offers from any team (Which means it's also questionable whether the rumored sign and trade with Chandler was anywhere close to being done, or even if it actually existed)...so there was no offer for the Spurs to match. But then Simmons and his agent asked the Spurs to release him--which means the Spurs lose any kind of matching ability. The relationship ended at that point. Had Simmons obtained that offer as a restricted free agent, I'd guess that the Spurs would have matched it. Given that the Spurs seemed pretty interested in keeping him initially, the fact that there was no offer from them means Simmons and his agent never asked for an offer even after finding nothing as restricted free agent, but were rather intent on becoming an unrestricted free agent, probably because they thought there was more money than the $13M guaranteed by Orlando. Remember, after the Spurs granted him a release, Woj was saying that the Spurs were still hoping to negotiate but other reports (probably being fed by the agent) were shooting that down. What's telling is how much his agent's tone changed from before getting the release to after he signed the Magic deal. His agent knows that he damaged some relationships and is probably trying to repair it.

Bottom line is that Simmons was right in trying to get as much money as he can since he can't be sure that he'll have another significant pay day. The problem was in the execution--and that's where his agent comes in. This is a lot like Stephen Jackson saying he got some bad advice from his agent back when he went through this process with the Spurs.

By the way, RC probably knew Iguodala was just using him for leverage...it was Iguodala who called the Spurs. But he was probably happy to help Iguodala drive up his cost with the Warriors. They probably just met and had coffee and donuts together.

DeRozan m8
07-16-2017, 04:58 AM
Fuck all you faggots

Fuck you, bitch ass faggot

SupremeGuy
07-16-2017, 06:21 AM
Dude asking for 50. :lolSeriously? Confirmed? :rollin

r0drig0lac
07-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Mills is unplayable against the team we need to beat

Capt Bringdown
07-16-2017, 12:31 PM
There were stretches of the regular season where he was inexplicably benched for multiple games in a row, but Kyle and Manu were stinking it up... Especially Manu who knew that he was gonna play every night regardless...

Sorted. This is the issue, not the money.

John B
07-16-2017, 09:12 PM
I like Simmons but he's not worth 50 millions, at least not yet. He has 3 yrs to prove himself worth it or more. And he is at a great position to do it at Magic. I wish him well. The only thing is could we have not sign and traded him or package him with Aldridge, etc? I feel Spurs could've gotten something back.

tmtcsc
07-16-2017, 09:57 PM
Minutes on the Spurs have always been earned, not given. Simmons needed to leave. We have too much ME ME ME coming from our pussy SF/C Aldridge. There's Pop's way and the Orlandowey, homes.

DAF86
07-16-2017, 10:35 PM

I can't believe this fucking scrub has such hardcore support. :lol