PDA

View Full Version : 50 wins?

mudyez
07-15-2017, 06:13 AM
No, this is no troll post as I love the Spurs and am ok with the offseason (it wasn't great, but I have nothing again signing Patty and adding Rudy is fine), since I unterstand all the decitions beeing made.

I didn't give much about the 50 win season until like three season or so. I'm sure the Spurs couldn't care less but I found myself calculating things even before the new year started.
This record defines the franchise like nothing but the chips itself, doesn't it?

While I'm not saying, that we couldn't even End the season as the second best team in the West, I feel like it also could be the 5th seat with only 49 wins. The West just got so much better with OKC, Minesota, even Denver and the Lakers chipping away some of the wins. (not saying they will finish better than us).

Parker beeing out may be a bigger deal than we (me included) probably think. The Aldridge distraction. Murray maybe losing us some games before he is ready. A questionable depth of the roster without Dedmon and Simmons (+ probably Lee) coming back.

I have all the tust in Pop making this team better than the roster might make it seem (it's really Kawhi with two great role players in Mills+Green, one disgrundled wannabe and the rest too old or too young guys...I love you Manu and the team needs you leadership for one more year, but you probably will not win us games oncourt).

What are your thoughts. Is keeping the streak alife also that important to you? Is the roster better than I think? Won't other teams be that improved in your opinion?

dbestpro
07-15-2017, 07:44 AM
The LMA situation needs to be resolved. This team will struggle if it keeps playing iso ball. Egos will destroy the Spurs. Team ball could give them another ring.

cutewizard
07-15-2017, 07:51 AM
The LMA situation needs to be resolved. This team will struggle if it keeps playing iso ball. Egos will destroy the Spurs. Team ball could give them another ring.

:bobo

cd98
07-15-2017, 07:56 AM
Hard to say given how much better the West is and how many new, young players are on the roster. By going with young, inexperienced, and undeveloped point guards, it's a little scary to think about that impact in a league full of talent at that position.

ceperez
07-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Hard to say given how much better the West is and how many new, young players are on the roster. By going with young, inexperienced, and undeveloped point guards, it's a little scary to think about that impact in a league full of talent at that position.

Other than Murray, these guards are very skilled.

dbestpro
07-15-2017, 08:10 AM
The question that is see is will Mills or some other player emerge as an NBA level starting PG? There seems to be a lot riding on Patty Mills.

cutewizard
07-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Other than Murray, these guards are very skilled.

---------------------

Bryn Forbes?

davi78239
07-15-2017, 08:40 AM
They should at least get 50 wins. Not banking on 60 i can tell u that.

Mikeanaro
07-15-2017, 05:28 PM
They will get 50 wins thats not the problem, but I want LMAO out it would be sad to see his horrible fadeaway crap during the playoffs again.

Mr. Body
07-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Getting 50 wins is a cinch. The league is really shitty right now. Even with good players like Butler and George moving West, there should be 50 wins available easily.

Vic Petro
07-15-2017, 05:44 PM
This will be Aldridge's best year as a Spur. He strikes me as the type whose effort increases in contract years. The team should be invested in inflating his stats to either sell high mid-season or at least guarantee he opts out next offseason. If all are healthy I expect 55ish wins.

The wild card this year is Kawhi missing any meaningful time. In the past, the roster was deep enough to weather an extended absence by any individual player, including Kawhi. This season I'm not sure that's the case. If Manu retires and Kawhi gets hurt early, who does Pop trust with the ball? Mills? Fathead? Depending on the duration of the hypothetical Kawhi injury, I think you could certainly argue they're a potential lottery team.

Chomag
07-15-2017, 05:53 PM
They might need at least 50 wins to get into the playoffs for the western conference this coming season, so hopefully.

spurraider21
07-15-2017, 05:54 PM
they'll be closer to 60 than 50. they're bringing back essentially the same team as last year, that won 61 games

Vic Petro
07-15-2017, 06:03 PM
they'll be closer to 60 than 50. they're bringing back essentially the same team as last year, that won 61 games

I dont see it as the same team at all. They're down one starter and another four rotation guys (assuming Manu retires) from that 61 win team. The replacements so far are Gay, White, Lauvergne, and Paul - three of whom have yet to prove they're legitimate NBA rotation players.

Russ
07-15-2017, 06:13 PM
I like it when the Spurs shuffle the deck in the summer. But I sure wish I knew what their thinking was this summer.

White seems okay at #29 (not much left there).

Gay looks like a nice gamble.

Mills seems a bit pricey but glad he's back.

Simmons is a bit of a mystery -- there's a story there somewhere.

Murray's disappearance must involve a big story (or just another conservative overreaction to a SL injury?).

Aldridge leaving or staying is another drama.

A lot of question marks.

But 50 wins? For sure (maybe even 60 again).

spurraider21
07-15-2017, 06:25 PM
I dont see it as the same team at all. They're down one starter and another four rotation guys (assuming Manu retires) from that 61 win team. The replacements so far are Gay, White, Lauvergne, and Paul - three of whom have yet to prove they're legitimate NBA rotation players.
dedmon started 37 games and averaged 17-18 minutes per game on the season. pau started more games than him, anyway. and if you're referring to Tony, he was the weak link in the starting unit all year (except the playoffs)

not to say i dont like the player, but his time on the floor wasn't as significant as we might remember

SnakeBoy
07-15-2017, 06:34 PM
I like it when the Spurs shuffle the deck in the summer. But I sure wish I knew what their thinking was this summer.

They're thinking they got to the WCF's with this team and they already set themselves up to be in position for big changes next summer so why not stick with the plan.

benefactor
07-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Didn't read OP.

Yes they will win 50.

:lol emotionally compromised, spoiled Spur fan

TD 21
07-15-2017, 07:05 PM
:lmao Conflating spoiled with motivated
:lmao Fine with good being good enough, despite having 2nd best record over 3 seasons and current top 3 player
:lmao Content, unmotivated, loser mentality

SAGirl
07-16-2017, 09:26 PM

+ 100:toast

Dex
07-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Didn't read OP.

Yes they will win 50.

:lol emotionally compromised, spoiled Spur fan

Say no more.

SpursTalk is pretty insufferable these days.

Can't wait for the season to start again, and everyone will be right back on the bandwagon.

therealtruth
07-16-2017, 09:44 PM
:lmao Conflating spoiled with motivated
:lmao Fine with good being good enough, despite having 2nd best record over 3 seasons and current top 3 player
:lmao Content, unmotivated, loser mentality

I would say top 1-2 player. If Zaza hadn't taken him down I think Kawhi would have shown Durant who the best player was. He already was before he went down in game 1. Also Lebron doesn't play both ends like Kawhi does.

therealtruth
07-16-2017, 09:47 PM
If you want to trade Aldridge I think you have to trade him East so you don't face him 4x a year. In the East he's a perennial all-star and leader on a playoff team. Any East team should be willing to take that. The challenge is getting a good enough return.

John B
07-16-2017, 10:22 PM
Houston improved, but then again Clippers didn't. So we get the wins from the Clippers, and Memphis, and Utah. Hey it looks like the money just transferred from one hand to another. We get 60 games and more. And I think we get better. Kawhi will be better, Aldridge is playing contract year so he needs to play better, our young guys have another year on their belt, plus we got at least 18/6 Gay. Not sexy, but we got better. Plus I think we are getting a disgruntled Cousins or even Davis in mid-season. :bobo

RD2191
07-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Houston improved, but then again Clippers didn't. So we get the wins from the Clippers, and Memphis, and Utah. Hey it looks like the money just transferred from one hand to another. We get 60 games and more. And I think we get better. Kawhi will be better, Aldridge is playing contract year so he needs to play better, our young guys have another year on their belt, plus we got at least 18/6 Gay. Not sexy, but we got better. Plus I think we are getting a disgruntled Cousins or even Davis in mid-season. :bobo

I like your optimism, especially the last part. :lol