PDA

View Full Version : New-look Heat and Spurs atop NBA

lilmads
10-16-2005, 10:20 AM
New-look Heat and Spurs atop NBA

Published Sunday, October 16, 2005
by Hannon Deutsch
http://www.bocaratonnews.com/index.php?src=news&prid=13017&category=Sports%20News

The buzzword this off-season in the NBA was “deal.”

Even though the San Antonio Spurs won their third NBA title since 1999, they still went out and added players to a fundamentally sound squad. The Spurs already had three scoring options in Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker. Factor in new additions Michael Finley and Nick Van Exel with proven veterans like Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry and the matchup challenges get even tougher. And consider this when thinking about their chances to repeat: the Spurs have enjoyed the best winning percentage out of any team in the four major sports since Duncan was drafted in 1997.

Spurs coach Greg Popovich chose to be more diplomatic in his approach.

“I don’t know who’s going to be in the Finals,” he said, “but Miami is just as good a team as we are. “There are six or seven teams that can be there at the end.”

Don’t simply assume Miami is the clear-cut favorite in the East and the six other teams Popovich was referencing are in the West. Detroit, Indiana and a much-improved Cleveland team equally deserve to be mentioned alongside Miami.

But Miami was within two minutes of reaching the NBA Finals and they went out and secured proven talent to complement O’Neal and Wade, so doesn’t that give them the edge in the East?
Ask that question again eight months from now.

Just like O’Neal, Duncan commands as much attention and respect on the court. Same goes for when both provide analysis off it.

Duncan said attitude and team chemistry matter most for a team to establish that championship pedigree, not necessarily off-season moves.

“There is too much made of making changes and acclimating new guys,” the 2-time Finals MVP said. “It’s all about chemistry. You can add all the talent you want to. Off-season moves are great, but it’s all about what you do in the regular season.”

So what about the talent the Spurs added?

“It helps with the attitude they brought to the table,” Duncan explained. “They understand the type of basketball we play and they are willing and want to fit into that kind of team. That’s the best part about it.”

Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Jason Williams and James Posey — players accustomed to logging extensive minutes as starters — will be asked to do the same for the Heat. If those three sacrifice for the greater good of the team then Heat President Pat Riley will be commended for pulling the trigger.

Forget about the ego question and how coach Stan Van Gundy will handle that. There is no question who the leader of the team is.

But who is the variable?

“There are no surprises there,” Spurs guard Manu Ginobili said. “Antoine will be the key. Posey is going to be very important for them too, defensively. It’s hard to chose one, but I think Walker is the difference.”

Walker, who came off the bench to lead all scorers with 20 points in Miami’s 103-101 victory over San Antonio Monday night, understands his new role. How he will be used in certain situations is not as clear this soon.

“Right now coach is trying to find different combinations that work on the floor, so it’s hard to say how that’s going to work,” Walker said. “With the depth that we have it will relieve some of the pressure of Shaq and Wade.”

“Now it’s really a matter of everybody getting with the system,” Van Gundy said. “It will take some time to be quite honest.”

Last season, Miami ranked fourth in the NBA in points scored and eight in points allowed. There’s no question O’Neal will average another double-double (22.9 ppg, 10.4 rpg), increasing his NBA-record to 14 consecutive seasons.

O’Neal is the main reason why the Heat’s jump in field goal percentage from .425 in ‘03-04 to .486 last season represented the largest increase in NBA history. And with Wade penetrating to the basket it was no wonder Damon Jones set a franchise record for three-point field goals in a season (225).

Keeping Wade and O’Neal fresh for a playoff run - and a meeting with the Spurs in the Finals — is as imperative as keeping them healthy.

“We have depth no matter how many minutes I play,” Wade said.

“They have darn good depth also. Maybe if everything works out the way it should with no major injuries it could be possible.”

Mr_MVP21
10-16-2005, 10:40 AM
The media must really be hoping to see the Spurs vs. Heat in the Finals.

If you ask me, Detroit has a better chance of meeting the Spurs in the finals because they improved their bench immensely this year.

bigzak25
10-16-2005, 10:46 AM
it's a forgone conclusion that it's Spurs vs. Miami.

may the best team win.

as long as Riley is not on the bench, i'm not worried. :tu

boutons
10-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Rick has been very effective coaching both the very different Pistons and Pacers to the top of the EC, and kept the Pacers respectful last season in spite of The Brawl.

Somehow, I trust Rick's coaching more than that of the Pistons, Heat, and esp the Cavs.
If only Artest takes his medication ....

It's going to be a real horse race in the EC.

GoSpurs21
10-16-2005, 11:25 AM
the 2-time Finals MVP said.
I really wish the writers/hacks would at least have someone proof read for the facts

ShoogarBear
10-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I really wish the writers/hacks would at least have someone proof read for the facts

No kidding:

There’s no question O’Neal will average another double-double (22.9 ppg, 10.4 rpg), increasing his NBA-record to 14 consecutive seasons.

Ahem . . .

Wilt Chamberlain
Year played: 14
Lowest scoring average: 13.2
Lowest rebouding average: 18.2

Now maybe Shaq has the record for most consecutive 20-10 seasons, but he should have said that if that's what he meant.

mavsfan1000
10-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Miami is not as good as either Indiana or Detroit. Unlike Miami, Detroit and Indiana actually play defense and lots of it. Miami's defense will be the downfall to that team. Also they lost alot of 3 point shooting with Damon Jones and Eddie Jones.

Marklar MM
10-16-2005, 04:14 PM
“There is too much made of making changes and acclimating new guys,” the 2-time Finals MVP said. “It’s all about chemistry. You can add all the talent you want to. Off-season moves are great, but it’s all about what you do in the regular season.”

He knows what it is all about.

1Parker1
10-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Miami is becoming highly over-rated by the Media while Detroit is being highly under-rated.

ALVAREZ6
10-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Miami is becoming highly over-rated by the Media while Detroit is being highly under-rated.
Miami has been highly over-rated by the media ever since Shaq signed.

The media follows Shaq, and NBA players follow him too. Gary Payton and Malone joined him on a quest to win the title with the Lakers, and now Gary Payton, Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, and James Posey have come to the Heat.

Walker and Payton are the biggest bandwagoners.

bigzak25
10-17-2005, 01:46 AM
any team with shaq is a contender, that's why.

and they did almost beat Detroit last year.

if the Heat are slacking on D, Riley will not stand for it.

he's got the itch and we all remember his heat and knicks defenses of the past.

ZStomp
10-17-2005, 05:37 AM
any team with shaq is a contender, that's why.

and they did almost beat Detroit last year.

if the Heat are slacking on D, Riley will not stand for it.

he's got the itch and we all remember his heat and knicks defenses of the past.

I agree. If Wade had not gotten hurt. Miami would have been in the finals. Miami is more dangerous than Detroit.

mavsfan1000
10-17-2005, 09:30 AM
I agree. If Wade had not gotten hurt. Miami would have been in the finals. Miami is more dangerous than Detroit.

Miami doesn't have the 3 point threats of the Damon and Eddie Jones this year. This enables teams to pack it in more on Wade and Shaq. Detroit has actually gotten better with a way improved bench and Sheed being in shape. A bench of Darko, Mcdyess, Delfino (In Shape), Maurice Evans, and Carlos Arrojo (A full year with the pistons and hasn't gotten hurt) makes them one of the deepest teams.

bigzak25
10-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Both Teams will be tough if/when our Spurs make it Back to the Finals.

but that's why they play the games...may the BEST TEAM WIN. :tu

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Walker and Payton are the biggest bandwagoners.

Bigger than Van Exel and Finley? :lol

Marklar MM
10-17-2005, 02:21 PM

Payton is the bandwagoner.

CubanMustGo
10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Dontcha know, vets that join YOUR team at bargain rates to win championships are "role players," "hard workers," "team players," and so forth.

Vets that join other teams for the same reasons are "bandwagoners". :rollin

sprrs
10-17-2005, 03:09 PM

Well Payton joined two already-contending teams in hopes of winning a championship, whereas Finley and Van Exel only joined one. :angel

I'd put Payton right up there with Mourning as far as bandwagoning :blah

adidas11
10-17-2005, 05:04 PM
I would have taken the Miami team last year to top Detroit, as they were the better team, and the only reason they lost was due to injuries to Wade and Shaq, and Damon Jones being scared in game 7.

This year, I am very suspicious about Miami letting go Eddie Jones and Damon Jones. I think that will hurt them more than they think (on the defensive end), and the possibility of lack of chemistry with Walker, Jason Williams, and Gary Payton. It's tough to say how good they will actually be.

In other news: The Los Angeles Lakers are the favorites to win the 2005/2006 NBA Title. Kobe for MVP.

Marklar MM
10-17-2005, 05:14 PM
I would have taken the Miami team last year to top Detroit, as they were the better team, and the only reason they lost was due to injuries to Wade and Shaq, and Damon Jones being scared in game 7.

This year, I am very suspicious about Miami letting go Eddie Jones and Damon Jones. I think that will hurt them more than they think (on the defensive end), and the possibility of lack of chemistry with Walker, Jason Williams, and Gary Payton. It's tough to say how good they will actually be.

In other news: The Los Angeles Lakers are the favorites to win the 2005/2006 NBA Title. Kobe for MVP.

As long as the Lakers have Kobe, they will never contend.

John T
10-17-2005, 05:26 PM
Dontcha know, vets that join YOUR team at bargain rates to win championships are "role players," "hard workers," "team players," and so forth.

Vets that join other teams for the same reasons are "bandwagoners". :rollin

:lol