PDA

View Full Version : SPURS GAME COLLECTOR'S

portnoy1
07-23-2017, 12:46 AM
I have been watching the Spurs/NBA for over 20 years and love the late 80s early 90s. Instead of this era of "who can get up the most 3s" we had big men that could operate down low, wing players that hit MIDRANGE jumpers ands point guards who understood how to distribute. I have built up a nice collection. So what's your favorite vintage spurs game and why? Or what game are you still seeking? For me it's game 2 of the 1992 playoffs Spurs v suns. That was the last season Terry Cummings was dominant. If anyone has game 3 of that series PLEASE let me know.

Spurtacular
07-23-2017, 01:32 AM
Some say the three point shot ruined the game.

portnoy1
07-23-2017, 08:01 AM
Some say the three point shot ruined the game.

I would actually blame the analytics people more than anything. The rockets are a prime example of that, especially game 6 of our series against them where they got run off the line but we're not given layups either. Midrange jumpers were available to them all game/series but refused to take them and they couldn't function. I like the 3pt shot but, but in moderation. If you look at the box scores from the 90s era some times COMBINED for 10-15 ATTEMPTS. Yet they still scored a lot of points, today the skill level of players 1-5 is unbalanced and the taking of more 3s helps to equalize that. DeAndre Jordan gets praise ​for his play, yet you be hard pressed to find a center back then that was offensively limited. Even a stiff like Mark Eaton hada ahook shoot with either hand. If you put DeAndre 3ft from the basket with a defender behind him he can't score since the defender isn't giving him a clear path to dunk. THAT'S SAD!

sasffl
07-23-2017, 11:25 AM
I have game 2 of the 1992 spurs-suns series

Spurtacular
07-23-2017, 11:47 AM
I would actually blame the analytics people more than anything. The rockets are a prime example of that, especially game 6 of our series against them where they got run off the line but we're not given layups either. Midrange jumpers were available to them all game/series but refused to take them and they couldn't function. I like the 3pt shot but, but in moderation. If you look at the box scores from the 90s era some times COMBINED for 10-15 ATTEMPTS. Yet they still scored a lot of points, today the skill level of players 1-5 is unbalanced and the taking of more 3s helps to equalize that. DeAndre Jordan gets praise ​for his play, yet you be hard pressed to find a center back then that was offensively limited. Even a stiff like Mark Eaton hada ahook shoot with either hand. If you put DeAndre 3ft from the basket with a defender behind him he can't score since the defender isn't giving him a clear path to dunk. THAT'S SAD!

Yea, I noticed in reg season how the Rockets virtually refused to take mid range shots. They looked like total shit when they tried to shoot them in the playoffs. Even simple fundamentals were way off.

Capt Bringdown
07-23-2017, 12:11 PM
I have been watching the Spurs/NBA for over 20 years and love the late 80s early 90s. Instead of this era of "who can get up the most 3s" we had big men that could operate down low, wing players that hit MIDRANGE jumpers ands point guards who understood how to distribute. I have built up a nice collection. So what's your favorite vintage spurs game and why? Or what game are you still seeking? For me it's game 2 of the 1992 playoffs Spurs v suns. That was the last season Terry Cummings was dominant. If anyone has game 3 of that series PLEASE let me know.

I'm not seeing players with Terry Cummings skill-sets at any level. Scoring in traffic and hitting mid-range jumpers appears to be a lost art. Some might say it's because athletes and defenses have improved, but I disagree.
The NBA is not a graph line going upwards into infinity. We've reached a historical valley in terms of the range of different skilled players employed in NBA games.
It's pretty much a 3 point circus now.

UZER
07-23-2017, 12:38 PM
People like to say Steph has changed the game. But if he wasn't paired with the second best shooter in the NBA, that would by far be the best shooter in the NBA if not for an out of this world shooter like Steph, the three point shot wouldn't not have taken over like it has. You can't zero in on one because the other is always open.

Those two guys being on the same team has forced everyone else to chuck threes just to try and keep up. Separate from each other, they would just be two great shooters in the NBA.

horsielove
07-23-2017, 09:36 PM
OP, do you have Sonics/Spurs WCF 2005 videos? I'm currently looking for them as well but have no luck.

portnoy1
07-23-2017, 09:45 PM
OP, do you have Sonics/Spurs WCF 2005 videos? I'm currently looking for them as well but have no luck.

Yeah, but it's on VHS somewhere. I have no idea where but I believe I have games 12356 not 4

Play Boban
07-23-2017, 09:46 PM
:cry

portnoy1
07-23-2017, 09:55 PM
People like to say Steph has changed the game. But if he wasn't paired with the second best shooter in the NBA, that would by far be the best shooter in the NBA if not for an out of this world shooter like Steph, the three point shot wouldn't not have taken over like it has. You can't zero in on one because the other is always open.

Those two guys being on the same team has forced everyone else to chuck threes just to try and keep up. Separate from each other, they would just be two great shooters in the NBA.

To add to that, point guard play isn't as good fundamentally speaking as people think. Example being teams with solid bigs that play the warriors. Warriors like going small, but a team with​ 1-2 solid post players would dominate them inside. Problem is that most Guards can't​ throw an entry pass to the post. That was one of things people forget about Stockton. When Malone got deep position Stockton would deliver the pass and Malone wouldn't have to go and get it, he would just go straight up. And on Defense teams don't go big against golden state cause of the speed factor. But truth be told the pelicans should be able to handle them simply because they use there speed to take 3s instead of layups. If the second big guy just stays perimeter and forces the guard inside to the other big guy problem solved. Just guard the 3 and make em take 2s. Then on office pound it inside and DONT turn it over.

horsielove
07-25-2017, 10:52 AM
Yeah, but it's on VHS somewhere. I have no idea where but I believe I have games 12356 not 4

Nice. Aside from VHS, do you some link stream to it? It's the only series now i havent rewatch since 95 playoffs.

portnoy1
07-25-2017, 11:30 AM
Nice. Aside from VHS, do you some link stream to it? It's the only series now i havent rewatch since 95 playoffs.

Nah, just on vhs. On top of that I no longer have a VCR. If I find a stream I'll let you know. I wish there was a forum where vintage games be exchanged.

phxspurfan
07-25-2017, 12:27 PM
YouTube has a lot of old games. I used to have a ton but deleted some to in order to make room for TV shows. I have 2014 finals and Western Conference Finals, and the entire playoff run from 2007 on DVD

horsielove
07-25-2017, 10:06 PM
Nah, just on vhs. On top of that I no longer have a VCR. If I find a stream I'll let you know. I wish there was a forum where vintage games be exchanged.

I subscribed to a youtuber which uploads old Spurs games, i'll be sure to link it when i find it as i subscribed to a lot of youtubers.

SilverSpur
07-25-2017, 10:39 PM
The game David Robinson scored 71 points against the Clippers.:flag: