PDA

View Full Version : Maccabi Tel Aviv beats Toronto

Ozzy
10-16-2005, 04:48 PM
I know this belongs into the NBA forum... but it seems Ducks it the only one who is regular there. :smokin

http://www.euroleague.net/

Maccabi pulls out first victory in North America

The Maccabi magic continues. Showing once again why they are one of the most exciting teams on the planet, the back-to-back Euroleague champs on Sunday defeated the host Toronto Raptors 103-105 in the first of their two exhibition games against NBA teams in North America this week. A last-second turnaround baseline jump shot by none other than Anthony Parker, the current Euroleague MVP, won it for Maccabi. Parker led the winners with 24 points. Nikola Vujcic followed him with 21 and 10 rebounds, while Will Solomon added 15 points, Maceo Baston 12 and Yaniv Green 11. The outcome, before 17,281 fans in Toronto, was historic in several ways. It is believed to be the first victory in North America by a European club against an NBA team in an official exhibition game. It also marks the first victory of any kind by a European club against an NBA team since Maccabi won three such games in Tel Aviv between 1978 and 1984. Including exhibition games against all-star teams, Maccabi now holds a 5-6 record against NBA opponents. Maccabi now goes to Florida to play the Orlando Magic on Wednesday night.

genghisrex
10-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Are the Raptors an NBA team?

Solid D
10-16-2005, 05:01 PM
That's pretty good, considering they weren't using FIBA rules.

slayermin
10-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Did they play with NBA rules?

Solid D
10-16-2005, 05:04 PM
http://acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_TN/0015-0402-1209-3857_TN.jpg

Hi! I'm a Raptor fan.

Leetonidas
10-16-2005, 05:05 PM

Hi! I'm a Raptor fan.

:lol

MaNuMaNiAc
10-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Hi! I'm a Raptor fan.
I don't think they have anything to be ashamed of. Maccabi is a great team. People just need to quit thinking NBA teams are by default a better team than the rest of the world. Maybe the Spurs are, but not every NBA team.

ALVAREZ6
10-16-2005, 05:41 PM
I never knew the Raptors were gonna play Maccabi......

boutons
10-16-2005, 05:45 PM
hmm, 1) vs Toronto, and 2) pre-season.

But unexpected all the same. Congrats to Maccabi and Tony Parker.

usckk
10-16-2005, 05:47 PM
Maybe the Spurs are, but not every NBA team.
hahaah

Solid D
10-16-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't think they have anything to be ashamed of. Maccabi is a great team. People just need to quit thinking NBA teams are by default a better team than the rest of the world. Maybe the Spurs are, but not every NBA team.

I know, MaNuMaNiA. Tel Aviv has beaten the best in the world, including a great CSKA and Tau squad this year. They didn't even have Saras and they beat Toronto.

I have the bag on the fan mostly because even their GM said they wouldn't win this year. He knows.

MaNuMaNiAc
10-16-2005, 07:31 PM
I know, MaNuMaNiA. Tel Aviv has beaten the best in the world, including a great CSKA and Tau squad this year. They didn't even have Saras and they beat Toronto.

I have the bag on the fan mostly because even their GM said they wouldn't win this year. He knows.
my bad then http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smispin.gif

SpursIndonesia
10-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Did Chris Bosh play quite extensively, in term of minutes played ? I mean, some NBA commentators ranked him ahead Yao in the C ranking, he should have done better than this ! :rolleyes

Solid D
10-16-2005, 08:57 PM
http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/cp_recap_051016.html

Euroleague Champions Maccabi Tel Aviv Come Back to Defeat Raptors
October 16, 2005

TORONTO (CP) -- Anthony Parker scored 24 points, including a jump shot with less than a second remaining, to lead defending Euroleague champion Maccabi Tel-Aviv to a 105-103 exhibition victory over the Toronto Raptors on Sunday.

The victory was Maccabi's first over an NBA squad since it edged the then NBA-champion Washington Bullets 98-97 in 1978.

The visitors earned the win as Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell clearly didn't want to give this one away, keeping starters Chris Bosh, Morris Peterson and Jalen Rose in for the majority of the game.

http://www.nba.com/media/raptors/charlie_hook_maccabi_350.jpg
Charlie Villanueva had 10 points on 5-8 shooting Sunday. (Ron Turenne/NBAE/Getty Images)

Bosh had 27 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Raptors in their annual international pre-season matchup. Rose added 18 points, while Mike James had 16 for the Raptors, who are 0-3 in the NBA pre-season.

Nikola Vujcic added 21 points and 10 rebounds for Maccabi.

After the final whistle, the Maccabi team stood at centre court and applauded the pro-Maccabi crowd of 17,281 at the Air Canada Centre.

The Raptors led the entire game until Will Solomon's three-point shot with 2:39 to play put Maccabi up 95-93, to the delight of the crowd who danced and waved Israeli flags.

Maccabi stretched its lead to four points on a jumper by Vujcic but Toronto battled back and a driving layup by Mike James tied the game 103-103 with 19 seconds left. Yaniv Green scored for Maccabi with 30 seconds to play, Mike James connected on a driving layup to tie the game, and then Parker launched his fadeaway jumper over Raptors' Morris Peterson with 0.8 seconds left to clinch the victory for Maccabi.

The afternoon was like a home game for Maccabi as the stands were full of Israel flags and yellow-and-blue Maccabi T-shirts. The crowd cheered as loudly for the visitors as it did for the Raptors during team introductions, and erupted into chants of `Ma-cca-bi' throughout the afternoon.

NBA commissioner David Stern flew in to attend the game and sat courtside with Larry Tanenbaum, chairman of the board of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd.

Considered the New York Yankees of Israeli basketball, powerhouse Maccabi has cruised to 45 of 51 Israeli titles and three of the last five Euroleague titles. But while Pini Gershon said his team is 10 or 15 years ahead of any other Israeli team in terms of management and budget, he believes the top European teams may never be on equal footing with the best of the NBA.

Maccabi heads to Orlando to play the Magic on Wednesday.

For once, the Raptors outrebounded their opponent, beating Maccabi 47-38 on the boards, but Maccabi shot 47 per cent from the floor to Toronto's 44.

Bosh scored 10 points in the opening quarter as the Raptors took a 24-20 lead over their visitors.

Parker's dunk midway through the second tied the game 39-39, but the Raptors ended the quarter on a 17-7 run to lead 56-46 at halftime.

Two free throws by former Raptor Maceo Baston cut Toronto's lead to 68-67 midway through the third quarter and the home team led 81-77 with a period left to play.

NOTES: There was a heightened security presence at the game as fans were patted down at the ticket gates. . . The United Synagogue Day School choir performed the Israeli and Canadian anthems. . . The Raptors edged Italian team Benetton 86-83 last pre-season, and defeated Panathinaikos of Greece 100-76 in 2003.

Nikos
10-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Did Chris Bosh play quite extensively, in term of minutes played ? I mean, some NBA commentators ranked him ahead Yao in the C ranking, he should have done better than this ! :rolleyes

Lol. Wasup SpursIndonesia? Where have you been?

SpursIndonesia
10-16-2005, 09:29 PM
Lol. Wasup SpursIndonesia? Where have you been?

Just busy with work and family, still lurking here and "there", now the new season's coming, would love to give some insight once in a while too
:angel :D

Banks91
10-16-2005, 09:34 PM
yo relax with the baggin on the raptors, not every city gets a chance to root for a team like the spurs. Dont kno how lucky u got it.

Despot
10-16-2005, 09:39 PM
It'll be interesting for future games, I read somewhere that the Spurs are going to play some preseason games in Russia next year, in a sort of tourney. Not sure if will be against nba teams, or european teams. There is a Russian team that is supposed to be one of the best in Europe, (not very familiar with the Euro leagues) would be interesting to play them.

Actually Scola was on the team that beat the Russian team in the championship tourney last year, it was a big upset.

Despot
10-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Hey Banks, How is the support for the Raptors in Toronto??

NZHayden
10-17-2005, 04:49 AM
hey cool thats kirk penney's team, lol if i remember rightly he played with toronoto in a summer league a couple of years ago

timvp
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Preseason.

SLOVENIAN 8
10-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Preseason.
Same for Maccabi, but if they play with some better NBA team they would lost, becouse this year they are not so strong than last year.

hendrix
10-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Preseason.

Yeah... it's not the Olympics... or the World Championship or something.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Yeah... it's not the Olympics... or the World Championship or something.

:)

True. Hopefully the US sends their best players for those events.

nkdlunch
10-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Preseason.

The visitors earned the win as Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell clearly didn't want to give this one away, keeping starters Chris Bosh, Morris Peterson and Jalen Rose in for the majority of the game.

Kobayagi
10-17-2005, 06:45 PM
They play Orlando next, right? When's that?

nkdlunch
10-17-2005, 06:48 PM
It'll be interesting for future games, I read somewhere that the Spurs are going to play some preseason games in Russia next year, in a sort of tourney. Not sure if will be against nba teams, or european teams. There is a Russian team that is supposed to be one of the best in Europe, (not very familiar with the Euro leagues) would be interesting to play them.

Actually Scola was on the team that beat the Russian team in the championship tourney last year, it was a big upset.

This confuses me. One thing is preseason, another thing is competition. Does this mean the Spurs next preseason will actually try to win the games rather than fine tune their gameplans??

Brutalis
10-17-2005, 11:42 PM

Agreed. Which makes me wonder why they're playing crapola teams.

If this was anything historic, it would have been against the Spurs or Heat.

gospursgojas
10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Like Jim Rome said... Its preseaon for the Raptors and Game 7 of the NBA finals for Tel Aviv, but its still inexcusable

Despot
10-18-2005, 12:01 AM
This confuses me. One thing is preseason, another thing is competition. Does this mean the Spurs next preseason will actually try to win the games rather than fine tune their gameplans??

I doubt it, knowing pop he won't change his preseason routine., but if one of the teams we play has ties to a spur, I might expect to see that player get a few extra minutes and plays called for them. I think this is just the NBA trying to expand the market. Like I said, I'm not even sure who the competiton was going to be against.

zeleni
10-18-2005, 03:49 AM
Like Jim Rome said... Its preseaon for the Raptors and Game 7 of the NBA finals for Tel Aviv, but its still inexcusable

Maccabi is also in preseason mode. It IS a real deal. NBA league has a ugly bottom and Euroleague is getting better with every year. I still think Maccabi could play a decent 6 game playoffs even with a NBA playoff qualified team like SuperSonics or Celtics.

samikeyp
10-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Maybe we could trade Toronto for Maccabi. :)