PDA

View Full Version : NBA: Finally watched the Celtics Lakers 30 / 30...

UZER
07-30-2017, 07:09 PM
How did the Celtics and the Lakers keep getting high drafts picks over and over?

"Jerry west just pulled another trade out of his hat."

"Red Aubach just worked his magic again".

Winning championships and still getting top draft picks every year. Some serious underhanded deals going down in the 80s. :lol

Spurtacular
07-30-2017, 08:20 PM
How did the Celtics and the Lakers keep getting high drafts picks over and over?

"Jerry west just pulled another trade out of his hat."

"Red Aubach just worked his magic again".

Winning championships and still getting top draft picks every year. Some serious underhanded deals going down in the 80s. :lol

When I heard about the Worthy acquisition, I was especially flabbergasted. But I don't remember the story now. It was maybe worse than the Kobe BS. The C's stuff was more above board I think; but who knows for sure. I'm open to hearing about the possibilities. Generally, GMs were dumb like nowadays. Drafting Larry Bird a year early was sneaky; but there was no rule against it. The rule changed right after that.

midnightpulp
07-30-2017, 08:25 PM
Stern meddling probably. You have to remember that the NBA was pretty irrelevant and shown on tape delay before Magic and Bird. No other teams during the 80's could really draw until the emergence of Jordan.

ambchang
07-30-2017, 09:16 PM
Magic, worthy, Scott were all top five picks. Kareem got traded to the lakers for peanuts. If that wasn't enough they got mcadoo and Thompson for nothing after Celtics got Walton.

The 80s lakers were league owned.

Then the lakers were down in the doldrums and suddenly shaq went to the lakers with no tampering charges.

Spurtacular
07-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Magic, worthy, Scott were all top five picks. Kareem got traded to the lakers for peanuts. If that wasn't enough they got mcadoo and Thompson for nothing after Celtics got Walton.

The 80s lakers were league owned.

Then the lakers were down in the doldrums and suddenly shaq went to the lakers with no tampering charges.

lefty
07-30-2017, 09:25 PM
Stern meddling probably. You have to remember that the NBA was pretty irrelevant and shown on tape delay before Magic and Bird. No other teams during the 80's could really draw until the emergence of Jordan.

I'm sure O'Brien and Stern told Dr J to step back and let Bird and Magic have rivalry, they let him have his title in 83 and then it was GTFO the way :lol
:lol how the fuck did Philly lose to NJ in the 1st round the following season?
Then in the last game of the 85 ECF you have that weird ass turnover in the last seconds :lol

Then Isiah "panicked" and Bird made that famous steal.... No fucking way... Isiah was clutch and has a pretty good basketball IQ, I'm pretty sure Stern told him to pass the ball to Boston tbh :lol

Stern also had to make sure the Rockets wouldn't become a problem for the Lakers, so he brought in drug dealers after the 86 season :lol
Stern finally let Hakeem get his titles in the 90s, but not in 93...game 7 vs Seattle, Rockets got robbed by the refs in crunch time, Stern knew the Rockets could beat Phoenix and ruin the dream MJ vs Chuck Finals matchup :lol
Speaking of which.... 64 free throws for Phoenix vs Seattle in game 7 of the WCF? 64??!! :lol
In 91, Magic vs Jordan had to happen, so Stern changed the rules to help MJ vs Detroit... And the Blazers were better than L.A, pretty sure the Lakers got some help :lol

Stern also made sure Len Bias and Prime Sabonis wouldn't become a problem for Magic and MJ tbh...

Spurtacular
07-30-2017, 11:18 PM
I'm sure O'Brien and Stern told Dr J to step back and let Bird and Magic have rivalry, they let him have his title in 83 and then it was GTFO the way :lol
:lol how the fuck did Philly lose to NJ in the 1st round the following season?
Then in the last game of the 85 ECF you have that weird ass turnover in the last seconds :lol

Then Isiah "panicked" and Bird made that famous steal.... No fucking way... Isiah was clutch and has a pretty good basketball IQ, I'm pretty sure Stern told him to pass the ball to Boston tbh :lol

Stern also had to make sure the Rockets wouldn't become a problem for the Lakers, so he brought in drug dealers after the 86 season :lol
Stern finally let Hakeem get his titles in the 90s, but not in 93...game 7 vs Seattle, Rockets got robbed by the refs in crunch time, Stern knew the Rockets could beat Phoenix and ruin the dream MJ vs Chuck Finals matchup :lol
Speaking of which.... 64 free throws for Phoenix vs Seattle in game 7 of the WCF? 64??!! :lol
In 91, Magic vs Jordan had to happen, so Stern changed the rules to help MJ vs Detroit... And the Blazers were better than L.A, pretty sure the Lakers got some help :lol

Stern also made sure Len Bias and Prime Sabonis wouldn't become a problem for Magic and MJ tbh...

All sarcasm aside, Stern pulled all types of shit. Anyone paying attention knows that. Give you a couple examples just real quick from when Stern was just starting out; In 84, Stern had the company men rig Game 6 (Go back and watch the game and watch all the BS calls, nay flat-out ghost fouls on McHale) so that the series could go 7 and the Lakers would have a chance. He even got caught telling someone that's what he was doing; and Bird called him out. The fine-happy Stern never fined Bird for it; he just wanted the matter to go away with as little publicity as possible. In 85, before the championship series, Stern suddenly changed the format from 2-2-1-1-1 to 2-3-2 to allegedly cut down on travel. With the Lakers getting the pivotal Game 5 at home, they won to take control of the series. After the C's pressed hard in that Game 5 to avoid having to win two in a row, they lost Game 6 on tired legs. Had the series format change not have occurred, the likelihood would have been that the C's would have won Game 5 at home and been in control from there.

lefty
07-30-2017, 11:31 PM
All sarcasm aside, Stern pulled all types of shit. Anyone paying attention knows that. Give you a couple examples just real quick from when Stern was just starting out; In 84, Stern had the company men rig Game 6 (Go back and watch the game and watch all the BS calls, nay flat-out ghost fouls on McHale) so that the series could go 7 and the Lakers would have a chance. He even got caught telling someone that's what he was doing; and Bird called him out. The fine-happy Stern never fined Bird for it; he just wanted the matter to go away with as little publicity as possible. In 85, before the championship series, Stern suddenly changed the format from 2-2-1-1-1 to 2-3-2 to allegedly cut down on travel. With the Lakers getting the pivotal Game 5 at home, they won to take control of the series. After the C's pressed hard in that Game 5 to avoid having to win two in a row, they lost Game 6 on tired legs. Had the series format change not have occurred, the likelihood would have been that the C's would have won Game 5 at home and been in control from there.
Yup I remember reading about those 2 riggings, fuck Stern

LkrFan
07-31-2017, 05:51 AM

So you saying the Spurs exist today because of Showtime? Interesting confession son. :tu