PDA

View Full Version : Pelton grades Spurs off season D+; worst in West

TD 21
08-02-2017, 02:42 PM
San Antonio Spurs: D+

We've learned the hard way not to doubt the Spurs, but their offseason is difficult to understand. After Pau Gasol opted out, San Antonio had the ability to clear significant cap space. Instead, the Spurs operated over the cap and re-signed Gasol to a three-year, $49 million contract that looks like a significant overpay that cuts deeply into next summer's cap space.

In addition to having less future flexibility, San Antonio doesn't look like a better team now. While adding Rudy Gay could give the Spurs more ability to play Kawhi Leonard at power forward in small lineups, provided Gay recovers from a ruptured Achilles, San Antonio lost a capable wing defender in Jonathon Simmons. The Spurs are counting on Gay and rookie Brandon Paul to fill that role.

San Antonio also did not address point guard aside from re-signing Patty Mills, meaning either Dejounte Murray or rookie Derrick White will need to play rotation minutes until Tony Parker returns midseason. Neither was effective in summer league play.

http://www.ultimateknicks.com/forum/topic.asp?t=57134

BatManu20
08-02-2017, 02:44 PM
Who

BatManu20
08-02-2017, 02:44 PM
We'll be fine. Back-to-back trips to the WCF incoming, tbh.

apalisoc_9
08-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Pelton is usally intellectually dishonest with player evaluation, but he hit the nail on the coffin here.

Of course the Media are drooling over the spurs and Pop and RC "Smarts".

Watch Leonard carry all these scrubs only for Poop and RC to win coach of the year and Executive of the year...While leonard averages 27 and the next best scoring payer is at 17 and 10 :lmao

Perry Mason
08-02-2017, 02:49 PM
He's overrating Simmons as a positive impact player.

SpursforSix
08-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Of course the Media are drooling over the spurs and Pop and RC "Smarts".

Where's the drooling? Please substantiate.

Chinook
08-02-2017, 02:51 PM
Pelton is a fucking chode, though.

dabom
08-02-2017, 02:52 PM

:lol

Mr. Body
08-02-2017, 02:53 PM
Yeah.

SAGirl
08-02-2017, 03:00 PM
It was a terrible off-season. The Spurs will still be a good team bc of Kawhi but they didn't do enough to improve. Until we see how Rudy is playing and Tony comes back from that injury we don't really know how they will look in April so this is a lot of speculation... but they already relied on too many aging guys and figure now to have them for more years at a premium price. We can't hardly call that a great off-season

apalisoc_9
08-02-2017, 03:02 PM
It was a terrible off-season. The Spurs will still be a good team bc of Kawhi but they didn't do enough to improve. Until we see how Rudy is playing and Tony comes back from that injury we don't really know how they will look in April so this is a lot of speculation... but they already relied on too many aging guys and figure now to have them for more years at a premium price. We can't hardly call that a great off-season

They paid a 38 year old 32 million for two years.

Gummi Clutch
08-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Its hard to argue with them. They have arguably the best player in the league, hands down best 2-way, and they spend the offseason on Ostrich. It defies logic.

marinoman
08-02-2017, 03:17 PM
This team didn't improve and gave out garbage contracts to gasol and to a lesser extent mills, so I agree

I obviously hope I'm wrong and this team exceeds my expectation but I doubt it

Hoops Czar
08-02-2017, 03:20 PM
D+ is being generous.

apalisoc_9
08-02-2017, 03:22 PM
D+ is being generous.

How would you grade the Gasol and Mills deals, my man?

Poolboy5623
08-02-2017, 03:22 PM
Hard to argue with that grade. The Spurs WERE the biggest threat to GS, last season, and were setup to be that team again this offseason. However, after this summers events it seems they've gone back a step or two. Sad.

TheDoctor
08-02-2017, 03:24 PM
Would be nice for once to have an insider reporter to get a better understanding of these summer moves. Does Jeff McDonald have any info about it?

Hoops Czar
08-02-2017, 03:26 PM
How would you grade the Gasol and Mills deals, my man?

F--

And the worst part is Pau being the money whore that he is, will come back at age 40 to collect his 16M, destroying the Spurs flexibility in year three as well.

bklynspursfan
08-02-2017, 03:43 PM
This team was quite good last season . It's so silly that people think we had this horrible off season because we didn't get any big named players.

A simple change in philosophy could be enough to see significant improvement (i.e. small ball)

Budkin
08-02-2017, 03:43 PM
I'd say C.

TimDunkem
08-02-2017, 03:44 PM
He's not the only one to give the Spurs the worst grade in the West. After listening to several other NBA podcasts, reading multiple off-season grades, and simply observing what most here have said, it seems to me that most share the same opinion. Me included.

The Spurs didn't accomplish any of their goals whether that be landing an impact FA, or maintaining flexibility going into next summer. They lost depth (no matter what your opinion on guys like Simmons or Dedmon are), defensive versatility, made a poor draft pick, and handed out bad contracts.

How that translates into wins and losses remains to be seen. Maybe they're still a great team, or maybe not, but let's not pretend that the Spurs had a good or even decent off-season. There's no doubt that the Spurs' off-season was one of worst, if not the worst, in the West. Kawhi is the sole reason why this team isn't a likely bottom feeder right now.

I'd give them a D+ at best. C- if Gay isn't playing on one leg next year.

bklynspursfan
08-02-2017, 03:48 PM

Gotta love the last line."neither was effective in the summer league" like that is indicative of what'll happen in the reg season

TimDunkem
08-02-2017, 03:50 PM

Amuseddaysleeper
08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
D+ was quite generous. Kawhi is wasting the prime years of his career. I think we need new blood in the front office, the hunger just isn't there anymore for PATFO.

Hoops Czar
08-02-2017, 03:51 PM
Gotta love the last line."neither was effective in the summer league" like that is indicative of what'll happen in the reg season

Kyle Anderson and Jonathon Simmons were walking proof of that.

SpursforSix
08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
The difference between C and F depends on Gay.

rastaspur
08-02-2017, 04:00 PM
He is a chode. No doubt. I think a d+ or c- is about right though.

baseline bum
08-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Unless the Spurs find some way to steal Irving a D+ sounds about right.

TD 21
08-02-2017, 04:23 PM
Pelton, like most of the prominent "stat geeks", is extremely arrogant and criticizing Spurs has become nearly as much in vogue among them as worshipping Warriors.

That said, he's obviously not wrong in this case, but I don't know how he doesn't realize Gay will primarily play PF and neglected to mention that Gasol's third year is a partial guarantee or that Simmons was a net negative player.

tonight...you
08-02-2017, 05:25 PM
How many years have "pundits" doubted the Spurs and called for their death and it didn't work out?
Going on 10 years now, eh?

They keep doing it and then keep calling themselves out Mid-season-Late-season saying "You'd think we'd know better by now..."

Eff them and eff all of you. Effing punks.

vy65
08-02-2017, 05:37 PM

Yes, yes. Never doubt the personnel PATFO brings in.

cjw
08-02-2017, 05:44 PM

Loading up on protein. Just be glad he didn't complain about lack of rice or sour cream.

timtonymanu
08-02-2017, 05:50 PM
It's a fair grade, tbh. Why should the Spurs get anything higher when they handed out two terrible contracts to an aging role player and a limited one? When our hopes are riding on Rudy Gay staying healthy, it's not a successful offseason.

timtonymanu
08-02-2017, 05:51 PM

And this is suppose to be our 2nd best player. Damn Kawhi you deserve better than this.

phxspurfan
08-02-2017, 05:58 PM

damn...

Prose
08-02-2017, 06:24 PM
i think the cavs had a better offseason....

Down Under
08-02-2017, 06:31 PM
The Gasol signing really isn't going to affect next free agency. He's essentially an expiring contract after this season b/c only 6 mil is guaranteed in year 3. It would be pretty easy to dump him.

tholdren
08-02-2017, 07:22 PM

Lol. Would be fine if anderson would be worth more than a wet fart

Seventyniner
08-02-2017, 07:33 PM
D+ was quite generous. Kawhi is wasting the prime years of his career. I think we need new blood in the front office, the hunger just isn't there anymore for PATFO.

How exactly is this wasting Kawhi's prime years? What moves could the Spurs have made to get them close to the Warriors?

tholdren
08-02-2017, 07:34 PM
How exactly is this wasting Kawhi's prime years? What moves could the Spurs have made to get them close to the Warriors?

Trade machine said gasol and lma for lebron worked

spurs1990
08-02-2017, 07:43 PM
The only flagrant move was signing that pinche piece of crap Gasol to kill cap space for next summer.

Everything else I'm not sad about because it wouldn't bring them closer to knocking off GS. I think Mills is a great locker guy and the Spurs rewarded his loyalty from the last contract. Manu also is a vital glue guy.

I like the potential of White and Paul, plus Forbes may break out. I mean if Jon Simmons came out of no where I think these others could too.

Not saying that they absolutely won't beat GS but it's a long shot. I'm all for enjoying 17-18 as a Leonard MVP type season and expecting the following season as a real challenge to GS.

Hoops Czar
08-02-2017, 07:45 PM

The Spurs will be rebuilding in two years so it's moot.

DPG21920
08-02-2017, 07:57 PM
This team was quite good last season . It's so silly that people think we had this horrible off season because we didn't get any big named players.

A simple change in philosophy could be enough to see significant improvement (i.e. small ball)

While that is true, he's not really saying SA will be a bad team. He's saying they had a bad off season.

From what he mentioned hes correct right now. SA didn't improve, but they got more expensive and they didn't truly address any needs (PG in particular which is an even bigger hole without TP now) while also bringing on money that eats away at future cap space.

Spurs can still be good. They also had a pretty poor off season on paper.

Stabula
08-02-2017, 08:49 PM
So many depressed cry baby pussies in this thread because we didn't sign Lebron James, we paid Gasol and Mills (key contributors) more than minimum wage, and we didn't keep Simmons (who wanted way too much money).

TimDunkem
08-02-2017, 08:53 PM
While that is true, he's not really saying SA will be a bad team. He's saying they had a bad off season.
How hard is this for you morons whining to understand? Maybe the Spurs will still be great...But they didn't have a good off-season.

weebo
08-02-2017, 08:57 PM
These grades by a bunch of know-it all fux don't mean jack...half these guys never bounced a basketball in their lives.

itzsoweezee
08-02-2017, 10:18 PM
The gasol contract is just dumb. Everyone's going to opt in next summer and the Spurs are going to be completely screwed for the next two years.

And just look at this shitty lineup the front office has put together for next season It's basically kawhi, an uninterested LMA, and a lot of spare parts that wouldn't be getting much playing time on good teams.

And none of this is by design. They just fucked up. It's obviously the Spurs were expecting to use the space provided by gasol opting out, or else they wouldn't have had him opt out.

TheGreatYacht
08-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Drunkford needs to disappear. Let him get behind the wheel.

skulls138
08-02-2017, 10:35 PM

This. Its all about the Warriors or nothing. I still say we come in second. I think we have to believe that LMA is going to have a bounce back year. If Gay turns out to be a good move, we're in business.

Atl Spur
08-02-2017, 11:07 PM
The team will be fine; let things materialize before going full emotional wreck👍🏾😉 a healthy productive RudyGay is worth a B or B+ in my opinion. Maybe Brandon Paul surprises us....... Spurs usually don't jump out there giving away guaranteed money to unknown comodities.

Leetonidas
08-02-2017, 11:12 PM
Never heard of this hack but I cant disagree with his assessment. Everything was he said was true....a lot of our off-seasons success hinges upon how well Gay recovers from his Achilles injury

MaNu4Tres
08-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Water is wet.

tmtcsc
08-03-2017, 09:03 AM
I think it was a poor offseason but not disastrous. I also think the Spurs tried to do something in FA but sometimes you don't get what you want. It happens. They were faced with doing something for the sake of doing something or just keeping their chips and trying again in 2018. Jonathan Simmons showed potential but his impact was way overblown. I think people got caught up with the flashy dunks and blocks.

venitian navigator
08-03-2017, 09:46 AM
the only thing i really did not like, in retrospective, is the givin Simmons to Orlando for nothing instead of trading him to Phoenix for Chandler...
for the rest:
a) Pau contract is horrible for the future cap space, but we have to assume that plan has already been abandoned....for the rest Pau played well in regular season and is still one of the best big man except in facing gs...but looks that Deadmon was not the solution either...so probably the fo sees that match up (I mean expecially with Draymond Green as their center) winnable only playng as center lma or some other mobile big (Louvergne? Gay? KA?)
b) Lauvergne is younger than Lee, is skilled, has international experience...could be a good surprise; probably Lee wanted to be payed and in any case looks that he is still available;
c)Gay is obviously a better player than Simmons and has the benefit over him of playing properly a big man role;
d) White was one of the best player remained when we drafted...and considering the Parker situation we needed a point guard;
e) Considering price and age, Paul could surprise as the good Paul to take...and frankly I have to tell that Chris Paul preferring the Rockets when they already had probably the other best point guard in the game instead of choosing us makes me wonder how smart he really is or, at the very least, how bad he really wants to win....

Chomag
08-03-2017, 09:49 AM
He's not wrong. Kawai is the only reason Spurs will be a good team and that's pretty sad...even MJ had a Pippen. This Fo is quickly reminding me of the office that wasted most of David's prime years in the 90's. They are going to run KL into the ground like they did David(no back left) at this rate. Hopefully Spurs plan on making some good moves before all star break but I'm not holding my breath.

How healthy Rudy and if he has anything left after that injury will decide if it was either a poor off-season or a disastrous one.

ceperez
08-03-2017, 10:28 AM
Most disappointing offseason we've had in a long time.

Mills and Pau signing for 'culture' was disappointing.

Brandon Paul (in exchange) for Simmons is a risky bet considering Paul in injury-prone.

Gay was a decent risk to take and good to have a player with his size.

Lauvergne was so so signing, should have as much impact as David Lee. Another bargain basement find.

Too bad we lost Dedmond, but for reasons I can't understand, PATFO never wanted to play him during the playoffs.

Perhaps, dRob had some good insight about Spurs offense. They stick exactly with the playbook without any deviation.

Joseph Kony
08-03-2017, 10:29 AM

standard portion is 4oz which is a quarter pound of meat, what a fatass :lol

E20
08-03-2017, 11:11 AM
F-.

I would give them a G-, but that doesn't exist.

But I can't really blame the Spurs, they have nothing lucrative or special to offer. No young millionaire athlete would want to stare at fat grotesque southern hicks in front of a dirty river walk while everyone reminisce about the Alamo. I'll actually give the Spurs the honor of being the all time leader in over achieving in modern world history, given what they had to work with.

Drom John
08-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Projected 2017-18 records and standings for every NBA team
Kevin Pelton

3. San Antonio Spurs
Projected wins: 52.6

Despite a head-scratching offseason, the Spurs still have the league's third-best RPM projection. San Antonio's defense -- projected to be second in the league -- should remain strong, and Patty Mills playing more minutes at point guard while Tony Parker rehabs his torn quadriceps should help offensively.

sexinthatsx
08-03-2017, 11:23 AM
When TD was the leader of the Spurs, I'm sure he had an input on incoming players and who Tim wanted. While I did think this off-season was a bit of a disappointment, I'm sure Kawhi had a say in the players he wanted to play with. Maybe it's a testament to how confident he is in himself and the development of the players especially since Dejounte Murray is working with Kawhi in the off-season.

BillMc
08-03-2017, 11:32 AM

He's overrating Simmons as a positive impact player.

The difference between C and F depends on Gay.

How many years have "pundits" doubted the Spurs and called for their death and it didn't work out?
Going on 10 years now, eh?

They keep doing it and then keep calling themselves out Mid-season-Late-season saying "You'd think we'd know better by now..."

Eff them and eff all of you. Effing punks.

TheGreatYacht
08-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Bill, it's okay to say Buford shat himself this offseason. No need to continue to defend him :lol

Horse
08-03-2017, 12:23 PM
So another year of Kawhi carrying a team same as last year. And gay is should be better than anyone we lost.

TheDoctor
08-03-2017, 12:27 PM
Projected 2017-18 records and standings for every NBA team
Kevin Pelton

"Patty Mills should help offensively"

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/michael-jordan-laugh.gif

vy65
08-03-2017, 12:57 PM
Bill, it's okay to say Buford shat himself this offseason. No need to continue to defend him :lol

Embarrassing. Posters nowadays think "fine" means making it to the playoffs and winning a few games. Smh.

MaNu4Tres
08-03-2017, 02:52 PM
Spurs have only been to back to back WCF two times in the past 30 years. It won't happen again this year, as Houston and OKC have made a leap over them.

TheGreatYacht
08-03-2017, 05:16 PM
Spurs have only been to back to back WCF two times in the past 30 years. It won't happen again this year, as Houston and OKC have made a leap over them.
People underestimate OKC so bad on here, tbh. Don't know why. They retired Timmy and have had 2 coaches make Poop look like Vinny Del Negro.

You know who else has the Spurs number? Chris Paul. I just cringe imagining Pity Mills, the worst defensive PG in the league, try and guarding him when he couldn't even guard Austin Rivers. God... then Pop panic-inserting Murray or White... :vomit:

kaji157
08-03-2017, 06:40 PM
It really was a difficult to understand off-season for us fans.
While others overpaid for stars we overpaid for role players, and lost one of our most promising players.
Idk what is specially the deal with Gasol, he's been here one year, underperformed, and we have him a price for it.
And on top of that he is going to play a shitty tournament again this summer.
Definitely head scratching.

Snaq O'Meal
08-03-2017, 06:45 PM
It really was a difficult to understand off-season for us fans.
While others overpaid for stars we overpaid for role players, and lost one of our most promising players.
Idk what is specially the deal with Gasol, he's been here one year, underperformed, and we have him a price for it.
And on top of that he is going to play a shitty tournament again this summer.
Definitely head scratching.

You need to look through RC Buffoon's beer goggles to have an appreciation of what's going on.

Seventyniner
08-03-2017, 08:46 PM

Houston maybe. A Spurs/Rockets round 2 rematch is likely. But while OC has gotten a lot better, there was a huge chasm between them and the Spurs last year. I don't think they've gotten enough better to make them favorites over the Spurs.

Chinook
08-03-2017, 08:50 PM
lost one of our most promising players.

I wanted Dedmon back too, but he got overpaid.

TimDunkem
08-03-2017, 09:10 PM
Some of these posters act like RC is their wife and the Spurs their children. Say anything that isn't basically slurping their "family" and they lose their shit. For fucks sake, it's okay to have a contrary opinion...One that most in the NBA world share right now, by the way.

The Spurs had a bad off-season. It's okay to say so. :lol

Embarrassing. Posters nowadays think "fine" means making it to the playoffs and winning a few games. Smh.
It's ironic that the hardcore PATFO slurpers have become apologists content with cute regular season records...The very thing that they used to make fun of Suns' and Mavericks' fanbases for. Oh how the mighty have fallen. :lol

tholdren
08-03-2017, 09:35 PM
Some of these posters act like RC is their wife and the Spurs their children. Say anything that isn't basically slurping their "family" and they lose their shit. For fucks sake, it's okay to have a contrary opinion...One that most in the NBA world share right now, by the way.

The Spurs had a bad off-season. It's okay to say so. :lol

It's ironic that the hardcore PATFO slurpers have become apologists content with cute regular season records...The very thing that they used to make fun of Suns' and Mavericks' fanbases for. Oh how the mighty have fallen. :lol
Wtf? We had 4/5 of a team in the wcf. Tonys injury sealed the deal for the warriors. There was no major overhaul sa could have or should have made this season. Happens every year. Whiny bitches like you cry about the off season, then spurs are better than you thought. This is a reload. Wcf is happening this year as long as spurs are healthy. Book it

spurs1990
08-03-2017, 09:47 PM
I don't think any poster on here has said the off-season was not disappointing, certainly not good.

Nobody serious is patting Buford on the back for this summer. But it wasn't the worst off season you can think of either. Again outside of that old Spanishman signing I don't think you could hate any move. There was really nothing out there that would move the needle past GS.

daslicer
08-03-2017, 10:43 PM
Spurs didn't make any great moves during the off-season but I still feel they will at least get back to the WCF. Rox and OKC don't scare me.

DMC
08-03-2017, 11:28 PM
I recall warning everyone here that the Spurs weren't going to make a big move. They are in cruise control now, post TD era, LMA being a borderline bust as far as expectations goes. GS is on a tear, no reason to push all in just to face those fuckers.

TimDunkem
08-04-2017, 12:12 AM
Wtf? We had 4/5 of a team in the wcf. Tonys injury sealed the deal for the warriors. There was no major overhaul sa could have or should have made this season. Happens every year. Whiny bitches like you cry about the off season, then spurs are better than you thought. This is a reload. Wcf is happening this year as long as spurs are healthy. Book itIt wasn't about vaulting over the Warriors, it was about not getting worse, dumbass.

duncan2k5
08-04-2017, 12:54 PM
Not to mention we failed to deal the cancer that doesn't wanna be here

duncan2k5
08-04-2017, 12:55 PM
AND got rid of our best defensive big

bklynspursfan
08-04-2017, 01:07 PM
Houston maybe. A Spurs/Rockets round 2 rematch is likely. But while OC has gotten a lot better, there was a huge chasm between them and the Spurs last year. I don't think they've gotten enough better to make them favorites over the Spurs.

Yea me either. OKC ain't there yet. Houston will likely be better , but playing a team in their first year together like that is always the best time to play em. Especially in the playoffs..

Also, them being a D'Antoni coached team helps us

DrSteffo
08-04-2017, 01:32 PM
The Spurs will be slightly worse and even more boring but will win a lot of games. I like Gasol but hate the deal....just stupid. Old team with bad young players.

Keepin' it real
08-04-2017, 02:16 PM
Well no one has signed yet, right? So Spurs not done yet.

TheDoctor
08-04-2017, 02:22 PM
Well no one has signed yet, right? So Spurs not done yet.
They officially signed 12:01 today.

SAGirl
08-04-2017, 09:15 PM
Golden State of Mind with a common opinion on the Spurs:
https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2017/8/3/16073590/nba-2017-san-antonio-spurs-offseason-roster-moves-kawhi-leonard#comments

Too long to repost entirely, but the conclusion is:

After this offseason, the Spurs are only going to be older next season, and likely worse on defense. And even worse, they’ve compromised their cap flexibility in future seasons. They won’t be able to sign a lucrative free agent next summer unless they move major pieces, and don’t have a clear direction for their team’s future.

tholdren
08-04-2017, 09:15 PM
It wasn't about vaulting over the Warriors, it was about not getting worse, dumbass.

Dude, youre such a whiny princess. Dumb too. Spurs didnt get worse, they traded simmons for gay. Improvement. They lost Lee, which will hurt, then they lost their gangliest, stonehanded center. So what? This is a reload simpleton.

tholdren
08-04-2017, 09:17 PM
Golden State of Mind with a common opinion on the Spurs:
https://www.goldenstateofmind.com/2017/8/3/16073590/nba-2017-san-antonio-spurs-offseason-roster-moves-kawhi-leonard#comments

Re-signing Patty Mills on a four-year, $50 million contract (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2710037-patty-mills-spurs-reportedly-agree-to-terms-on-4-year-50-million-contract) isn’t bad value. Tony Parker (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21781/tony-parker), who’s being paid north of $15 million this year, is on the last year of his deal. He’s also a below-average starting point guard who is aging quickly and currently injured (http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19308946/tony-parker-san-antonio-spurs-miss-remainder-playoffs-knee-injury). This move signals that the Spurs are ready to make Mills their starting point guard of the future — at least for now.
But Mills is going to turn 29 before the season begins. He, too, is a below-average starting point guard and was practically invisible against the Warriors (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/teams/golden-state-warriors) in all facets of the game. He’s neither a great defender nor shot creator. Do the Spurs really want to build a contender around him?

Meanwhile, re-signing Pau Gasol for three years, $48 million (with the last year partially guaranteed), was one of the worst moves of the summer league-wide. Pau Gasol opted out of his $16 million contract this season, hoping to return to the Spurs on a longer deal. But nobody expected his new longer contract to have the same per-year salary as his old one.

This move frankly makes little sense. Gasol may have had a storied career, but he’s 37, immobile defensively and a poor fit with LaMarcus Aldridge (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/21819/lamarcus-aldridge). He was in and out of the starting lineup last year. Paying him big money over three years significantly reduces their ability to bring in free agents in the future.

Add the losses of Jonathon Simmons and Dewayne Dedmon — younger players with athleticism and defensive potential — and the Spurs will likely be older and worse on the defensive end next season. Rudy Gay, their most significant signing, is already 30 and coming off an Achilles injury — one of the most debilitating injuries in basketball. Most known for his isolation scoring, he’s an odd fit for the Spurs’ methodical system.
Aldridge, who signed in San Antonio to be a focal point of the Spurs offense, has disappointed, disappearing in key games and rarely making an impact on defense. He’s 32 and likely won’t be improving.Danny Green (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/players/71944/danny-green), maybe the Spurs’ second-most important player, has been in an offensive slump for two years, and he is already 30.

After this offseason, the Spurs are only going to be older next season, and likely worse on defense. And even worse, they’ve compromised their cap flexibility in future seasons. They won’t be able to sign a lucrative free agent next summer unless they move major pieces, and don’t have a clear direction for their team’s future.

Lol

TheDoctor
08-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Building a contender around Patty Mills? WTF? Golden Shower of Mind w/ the same talent-evaluation-mind as Pounding the Cock. Gotta be an SBNation thing.

Spurtacular
08-04-2017, 10:32 PM

TimDunkem
08-04-2017, 10:38 PM
Dude, youre such a whiny princess. Dumb too. Spurs didnt get worse, they traded simmons for gay. Improvement. They lost Lee, which will hurt, then they lost their gangliest, stonehanded center. So what? This is a reload simpleton.
Says the guy whining about someone else's so-called whining. But, yeah, go on and tell me how a 30 year old coming off an achilles injury, losing just about the entire rotation of bigs, then staking the rest on the internal improvement of a 6'10 chucker who can't rebound, a waste of space nicknamed "Slowmo" who's afraid to shoot, and a kid who can't even produce in summer league is "reloading".

Literally everyone here thinks you're one of the forum's village idiots and you continue to prove so time and time again. :lol

SAGirl
08-04-2017, 11:21 PM
Building a contender around Patty Mills? WTF? Golden Shower of Mind w/ the same talent-evaluation-mind as Pounding the Cock. Gotta be an SBNation thing.
Not the best phrasing they could come up with but after they signed Mills for 4 more seasons one has to consider him part of some younger generation Spurs core. I don't know how else to think of a guy signed for 4 seasons when most FA that weren't max players didn't get signed for over 3, some guys with that 3 rd season only partially guaranteed at that oR with some kind of team option.

tholdren
08-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Says the guy whining about someone else's so-called whining. But, yeah, go on and tell me how a 30 year old coming off an achilles injury, losing just about the entire rotation of bigs, then staking the rest on the internal improvement of a 6'10 chucker who can't rebound, a waste of space nicknamed "Slowmo" who's afraid to shoot, and a kid who can't even produce in summer league is "reloading".

Literally everyone here thinks you're one of the forum's village idiots and you continue to prove so time and time again. :lol

At first I really didnt think you were serious, now i realize you are just dumb... spurs got better giving up simmons for gay. Thats a fact.

Losing lee is probably the most difficult piece spurs didnt fill, but they acquired a higher ceiling player in their french big that what they had with dedmon or lee. Dedmon was this years equivalent of boban.

Spurs didnt get worse. Carry on with your crying. And it says a lot if the village idiot thinks youre dumb.

Clipper Nation
08-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Doc Rivers is available :downspin:

DMC
08-05-2017, 11:33 AM
The Spurs are thinking playoffs, they aren't thinking championship. Contrary to what some fans believe, not every team has championship aspirations every season, and in fact not even every playoff team does.

Dex
08-05-2017, 12:17 PM
He's not wrong, but I'm still not worried. Spurs took a swing at a big pickup (which everyone wanted them to do), and missed. So in classic Spurs fashion, they re-tooled and will gear up for next season.

The Pau deal is a bit of a head scratcher, but it's not the worst contract ever for a serviceable big man, and especially in T:loldays NBA. I'm excited to see how Gay fits into the puzzle. Still counting on the Spurs to be in the mix come May.

TheDoctor
08-05-2017, 01:57 PM
He's not wrong, but I'm still not worried. Spurs took a swing at a big pickup (which everyone wanted them to do), and missed. So in classic Spurs fashion, they re-tooled and will gear up for next season.

The Pau deal is a bit of a head scratcher, but it's not the worst contract ever for a serviceable big man, and especially in T:loldays NBA. I'm excited to see how Gay fits into the puzzle. Still counting on the Spurs to be in the mix come May.

Rudy will fit nice and well. It's how much of his game the injury robbed from him.

tholdren
08-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Rudy will fit nice and well. It's how much of his game the injury robbed from him.

Still an upgrade over simmons who, like green, cannot dribble.

TheDoctor
08-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Still an upgrade over simmons who, like green, cannot dribble.
An upgrade if he stay healthy. Yes, I agree.

Arcadian
08-05-2017, 05:01 PM

At least it's not at 90s Robinson levels of waste, tbh...

spurs10
08-05-2017, 05:03 PM
This is what will determine how our, much maligned, off-season really went. I'm stoked to have him especially if he's out there with Kawhi.

vy65
08-05-2017, 06:05 PM
Spurs' Lauvergne says Popovich was the only coach who dialed his number

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/spurs-lauvergne-says-popovich-was-the-only-coach-who-dialed-his-number

Crofl

tholdren
08-05-2017, 07:36 PM
This is what will determine how our, much maligned, off-season really went. I'm stoked to have him especially if he's out there with Kawhi.

I disagree. There are a lot of factors here. How good do parker and gay come back from injury, will kyle and bryn contribute, gasol and lma in shape... its more than just one guy

TheDoctor
08-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Spurs' Lauvergne says Popovich was the only coach who dialed his number

http://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/spurs-lauvergne-says-popovich-was-the-only-coach-who-dialed-his-number

Crofl

He needs to thank Tony then.

skulls138
08-06-2017, 12:04 AM
I disagree. There are a lot of factors here. How good do parker and gay come back from injury, will kyle and bryn contribute, gasol and lma in shape... its more than just one guyTotally. Right now we're talking about one fucking guy to save us in the superior conference. If Gay turns out good, great. Will LMA have an attitude adjustment and take on that mantel of #2 seriously? Will we have a bench worth a shit with an aging Manu and no Lee?

Sounds like were fucked but if theres improvement in LMA's offense, and Gay turns out to be a good pick, combined with Kawhi, thatll have a multipying effect on other and well be in business.

spurs10
08-06-2017, 12:06 AM
I disagree. There are a lot of factors here. How good do parker and gay come back from injury, will kyle and bryn contribute, gasol and lma in shape... its more than just one guy
I agree many factors will go into how well do this season, just saying the Rudy Gay signing was the biggest move we made in the off-season. If he can play, which the rehab has sounded solid, it will be more significant than many have given credit to.

spurs10
08-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Totally. Right now we're talking about one fucking guy to save us in the superior conference. If Gay turns out good, great. Will LMA have an attitude adjustment and take on that mantel of #2 seriously? Will we have a bench worth a shit with an aging Manu and no Lee?

Sounds like were fucked but if theres improvement in LMA's offense, and Gay turns out to be a good pick, combined with Kawhi, thatll have a multipying effect on other and well be in business. It's a contract year for LMA so he will be playing with all he's got. I think Gay is going to help and I hope to see him out there with Kawhi and LMA. With Lee and Dedmon gone LMA is going to have to kick it into another gear and will surely be playing the 5 much more.

tholdren
08-06-2017, 09:07 AM
It's a contract year for LMA so he will be playing with all he's got. I think Gay is going to help and I hope to see him out there with Kawhi and LMA. With Lee and Dedmon gone LMA is going to have to kick it into another gear and will surely be playing the 5 much more.

Hope lma balls out then spurs sign high and trade

Taking it to the Hole
08-12-2017, 02:39 PM
The fear is that Kawhi is going to have to shoulder even a bigger load then last year because the FO left him out to dry. You didn't give him help, you gave him hope and prayers. That is all this offseason amounts to. We hope that the players we acquired can help our team? I am no front office executive and I don't play one on TV but even I know that when there is sure talent out there and you know what they are, you go get it and bring it in, you don't make moves and hope they pan out? What the hell , anybody could do that, you don't need to be a FO executive to do that. Management is getting paid to make a winning team and while we may win our fair share of games this season, I wonder about all the games we will lose simply because there is a significant difference of talent on the court. Kawhi is a beast, don't get me wrong, but you can't ask more of him than what his main responsibilities are.

tholdren
08-12-2017, 07:17 PM
The fear is that Kawhi is going to have to shoulder even a bigger load then last year because the FO left him out to dry. You didn't give him help, you gave him hope and prayers. That is all this offseason amounts to. We hope that the players we acquired can help our team? I am no front office executive and I don't play one on TV but even I know that when there is sure talent out there and you know what they are, you go get it and bring it in, you don't make moves and hope they pan out? What the hell , anybody could do that, you don't need to be a FO executive to do that. Management is getting paid to make a winning team and while we may win our fair share of games this season, I wonder about all the games we will lose simply because there is a significant difference of talent on the court. Kawhi is a beast, don't get me wrong, but you can't ask more of him than what his main responsibilities are.

If kl is the stud we think he is, he will have no problem carrying sa. Thats his job

skulls138
08-13-2017, 02:41 PM
Hope lma balls out then spurs sign high and tradeThen of course we'll want to keep him. Depends on how he "balls out" (snicker). Does he do it within the team concept and we have success or does he do it for himself? Pops wont let him freelance so if he does well we'll want to keep him. We made our bed....

DenialTwist
08-15-2017, 04:05 AM
It's a shame that the spurs will waste Kawhi's prime with washed up vets they want to keep on the team. If they don't get another star next to him, he will never have the chance to compete for another championship. Warriors are going to dominate for a long time and the Spurs can't even challenge them with the roster that they have. Kawhi has the worst supporting cast.

TheGreatYacht
08-22-2017, 07:19 PM
Kyrie Irving -> Celtics
Chris Paul -> Rockets
Paul George -> Thunder
Jimmy Butler -> Timberwolves
Gordon Hayward -> Celtics
Isaiah Thomas -> Cavs
Paul Millsap -> Nuggets

Brandon Paul -> Spurs

TheGreatYacht
08-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Don't think people realize just how bad Buford fucked our cap next offseason with those $98M combined contracts to Gasol and Mills.

Aldridge isn't opting out of an easy 23M, Parker and Green will both be brought back next offseason and they're not earning less than Patty (12.5M/yr)

Kawhi better start trading in those wingstop coupons for a first class ticket to LA.

Dingle Barry
08-23-2017, 12:34 AM
Don't think people realize just how bad Buford fucked our cap next offseason with those $98M combined contracts to Gasol and Mills.

Aldridge isn't opting out of an easy 23M, Parker and Green will both be brought back next offseason and they're not earning less than Patty (12.5M/yr)

Kawhi better start trading in those wingstop coupons for a first class ticket to LA.

:depressed

Mr. Body
08-23-2017, 12:38 AM
Kyrie Irving -> Celtics
Chris Paul -> Rockets
Paul George -> Thunder
Isaiah Thomas -> Cavs
Paul Millsap -> Nuggets

The only one of those I think was really a whiff is Jimmy Butler, given the crap he was traded for. The rest aren't worth it or the Spurs could never get.

JFK
08-23-2017, 08:23 AM

It is the culture over everything!

Also, don't forget Manu's annual 'will he or won't he' hostage situation he puts this team through each year. The sad part about that is that Manu ends up being the best signing over most anything they bring in or look at.

MultiTroll
08-23-2017, 09:00 AM
Kyrie Irving -> Celtics
Chris Paul -> Rockets
Paul George -> Thunder
Isaiah Thomas -> Cavs
Paul Millsap -> Nuggets

Brandon Paul -> Spurs
rack it.

MultiTroll
08-23-2017, 09:02 AM
The only one of those I think was really a whiff is Jimmy Butler, given the crap he was traded for. The rest aren't worth it or the Spurs could never get.
True, but in that case we didn't have to massively overpay for
Gasol
Mills
No attempts to talk / coerce Porker into retirement or trading his expiring.