PDA

View Full Version : California beer maker has the last laugh in his German brewery

RandomGuy
08-10-2017, 11:53 AM
Score one for American know-how. Californian exports beer to Germany.

--------------------

Some Germans thought Greg Koch was courageous. Others considered the
Californian crazy.

In one of the world’s biggest beer drinking countries, already saturated with 1,388 breweries and 5,000 brands of beer, the entrepreneur from San Diego was determined to establish an American-style craft beer brewery.

It took courage, craziness — and chutzpah.

But a year after Koch opened his now-thriving brewery, beer garden and restaurant in the Mariendorf section of south-central Berlin, Germans are no longer laughing at the 52-year-old executive chairman and co-founder of Stone Brewing Co.

It is a cavernous temple to beer built out of the ruins of an abandoned gasworks plant dating to the turn of the last century. About half of the splendidly refurbished 34,000-square-foot factory floor in the red brick building was turned into the brewery that will produce 925,000 gallons of beer this year for Germany and export to 24 European countries — especially Britain, Sweden and the rest of Scandinavia.

The beer styles are, for the most part, the same as those Stone produces in the United States, including Stone IPA and Stone Ruination Double IPA.

The other half of the former gasworks, separated from the tropical temperatures in the brewery by a spectacular floor-to-ceiling glass window, is reserved for the relaxed, California-style restaurant for up to 1,100 people. It has a bar that features 75 beers on tap and, for German standards, uncommonly friendly service staff.

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-germany-california-beer-20170808-story.html

baseline bum
08-10-2017, 07:42 PM
Stone is amazing, by far my favorite brewer in the world.

DJR210
08-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Stone Ruination seasonal IPA FTMFW

..and baseline bum don't sell yourself short thinking Stone brews the best beers

DJR210
08-10-2017, 08:15 PM
Knee Deep Breaking Bud smells good enough to fap to IMO

Capt Bringdown
08-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Good for him. German beer is still the best. Too bad much of it is not imported here.
Uber Alles

RandomGuy
08-11-2017, 04:07 PM

I'm not worthy.

;)

UNT Eagles 2016
08-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Good for him. German beer is still the best. Too bad much of it is not imported here.
Uber Alles
What? There are a lot of German beers here in America... German beer is extremely popular.

Capt Bringdown
08-12-2017, 11:44 AM
What? There are a lot of German beers here in America... German beer is extremely popular.

Only a handful of big-name german brews available in most places I see in SA (Specs, total wine, etc). The best selection I've seen is that beer advent box at Costco that comes out once a year.

tlongII
08-12-2017, 12:41 PM
Oregon micro-brews FTW!

UNT Eagles 2016
08-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Only a handful of big-name german brews available in most places I see in SA (Specs, total wine, etc). The best selection I've seen is that beer advent box at Costco that comes out once a year.

Drive a few extra minutes up to New Braunfels?

resistanze
08-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Not a fan of vast majority of IPAs, there I said it.

TimDunkem
08-12-2017, 05:15 PM
It's like grinding up a bunch of grass and painkillers and making a drink out of it. There are a few I enjoy, but don't like most of them myself. More of a stout/porter guy.

resistanze
08-12-2017, 05:28 PM
It's like grinding up a bunch of grass and painkillers and making a drink out of it. There are a few I enjoy, but don't like most of them myself. More of a stout/porter guy.

Very partial to Belgian Style Ales. Yeah, the whole MOAR HOPS craze in N.A. for me got out of hand where many shitty beers were masking their flavor with the wave. Still some gems to be had, and of course to each his own.

Capt Bringdown
08-12-2017, 06:11 PM
Drive a few extra minutes up to New Braunfels?

HEB central in downtown has a pretty decent selection. Unfortunately, you're more likely to find a wider variety of tacos than German beer in New Braunfels these days.

Best solution is to visit Germany. If one is a beer fan, this is an absolute must. Beer mecca. Nothing can touch it.

resistanze
08-12-2017, 06:37 PM
HEB central in downtown has a pretty decent selection. Unfortunately, you're more likely to find a wider variety of tacos than German beer in New Braunfels these days.

Best solution is to visit Germany. If one is a beer fan, this is an absolute must. Beer mecca. Nothing can touch it.

Belgium > Germany, imho. Germany got the Hefe and Dunkel on lock. Belgium wins for variety, complexity and strength of their ales. I almost never left Belgium when I went 4 years ago.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-12-2017, 07:01 PM
Belgium > Germany, imho. Germany got the Hefe and Dunkel on lock. Belgium wins for variety, complexity and strength of their ales. I almost never left Belgium when I went 4 years ago.

thank goodness you did, the muzzies are terrorizing it and civilians are dying in droves there now.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-12-2017, 07:04 PM

Whaaaaaaaaat? That's no good. That's no good. I mean I like Hispanic culture and Mexican food too, but they shouldn't touch Germantown. I have German heritage and pride. I do see a lot more German than Mexican things still when I go up/down 35 going in and out of SA.

I don't have a passport, unfortunately, nor the funds or balls to go there if I could.

08-12-2017, 07:41 PM

Very partial to Belgian Style Ales. Yeah, the whole MOAR HOPS craze in N.A. for me got out of hand where many shitty beers were masking their flavor with the wave. Still some gems to be had, and of course to each his own.
Yeah I'm right with yas. Pale ales is usually as far as I'll go in the hoppiness scale.

08-12-2017, 07:46 PM
Fuckin hell I feel ya. Went there and the Netherlands last year. Netherlands are pretty good as well, they're like Belgium lite when it comes to beers. Plus they also have the ganja.

Capt Bringdown
08-13-2017, 12:13 AM

A matter of taste. Belgium ales don't do anything for me. That whole sweet thing...naah.
I prefer Helles most of all.
In my view it's German or UK, or I'm not bothered.

Capt Bringdown
08-13-2017, 12:16 AM
I don't have a passport, unfortunately, nor the funds or balls to go there if I could.

No funds I understand, but balls? Germany is incredibly easy to get around and safe.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-13-2017, 03:27 AM
No funds I understand, but balls? Germany is incredibly easy to get around and safe.

Terrorists. Merkel let 'em all in like The Who's Tommy.

Thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320) Culburn369 can attest.

resistanze
08-13-2017, 10:07 AM
A matter of taste. Belgium ales don't do anything for me. That whole sweet thing...naah.
I prefer Helles most of all.
In my view it's German or UK, or I'm not bothered.

Maybe you mean not super bitter, since many Belgian styles aren't really sweet...Lambic, Amber Ales, Tripple/Quadrupel, Saisons....But yes it's a matter of taste, I mean I can drink a certain style of beer to my liking from any country, tbh

Capt Bringdown
08-13-2017, 12:35 PM
Terrorists. Merkel let 'em all in like The Who's Tommy.

Thread (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19320) Culburn369 can attest.

I was there for a few months in 2012-13 before the refugee crisis. Even then, the middle eastern profile is noticeable in the bigger cities. Something I hadn't expected. Frankly, I enjoyed getting off the grid into the smaller cities and villages, where it's still mostly German.
Despite their reputation for being stern and joyless, I found the Germans to have a greater joy of life than Americans. They enjoy their beer (which is consumed constantly, everywhere...no open container laws in Germany), their culture, festivals, public spaces, the outdoors, etc.
For beerlovers, there's nothing like German Beer gardens. Talk about friendly. I was shocked to have total strangers sharing their snacks with me.
I don't see how the refugees fit into all of that. Talk about a culture clash.

In short, go see it while you can, if you can. Funds are an issue - it ain't exactly cheap. I have a friend who lives over there & therefore I saved quite a bit on accommodation.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-13-2017, 12:58 PM
I was there for a few months in 2012-13 before the refugee crisis. Even then, the middle eastern profile is noticeable in the bigger cities. Something I hadn't expected. Frankly, I enjoyed getting off the grid into the smaller cities and villages, where it's still mostly German.
Despite their reputation for being stern and joyless, I found the Germans to have a greater joy of life than Americans. They enjoy their beer (which is consumed constantly, everywhere...no open container laws in Germany), their culture, festivals, public spaces, the outdoors, etc.
For beerlovers, there's nothing like German Beer gardens. Talk about friendly. I was shocked to have total strangers sharing their snacks with me.
I don't see how the refugees fit into all of that. Talk about a culture clash.

In short, go see it while you can, if you can. Funds are an issue - it ain't exactly cheap. I have a friend who lives over there & therefore I saved quite a bit on accommodation.
Correct. Vacationing in Thailand -- now that's the definition of cheap. The most expensive part is the flight & it's not close.

unleashbaynes
08-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Knee Deep Breaking Bud smells good enough to fap to IMO

Dude.....found this at a local restaurant, unbelievable beer. They have it at Spec's now.

benefactor
08-15-2017, 09:28 AM
Agreed. I love their all IPA 12 packs. That Pataskala Red IPA is currently my favorite beer by them.

leemajors
08-15-2017, 09:58 AM

Their new Anniversary, Hail to the Hop Thief, is pretty good. So is the RuinTen with Orange Peel and Vanilla, really well balanced. They are one of the only bigger brewers to have their 12 pack of cans lower than the 12 of bottles in price, props. If you've never been to their original location outside of San Diego, it's pretty fucking sweet - the gardens are awesome.

DJR210
08-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Dude.....found this at a local restaurant, unbelievable beer. They have it at Spec's now.

Yes sir they do. Great price too, ten bucks for four pints is damn good considering this shit goes for like 7 a pint on draft..

If you are a fan of this one, find yourself some Cedar Creek Dankosaurus. It's actually surpassed Breaking Bud as my current favorite.

benefactor
08-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Yes sir they do. Great price too, ten bucks for four pints is damn good considering this shit goes for like 7 a pint on draft..

If you are a fan of this one, find yourself some Cedar Creek Dankosaurus. It's actually surpassed Breaking Bud as my current favorite.
I've always liked Dankosaurus. Seems less places around here have it though. I typically don't drink it at my local drafthouse because they have both Green Flash West Coast and Odell Myrcenary on tap there and that's the only place in town I can get either of those. They are also the only place in town I can get Rogue Dead Guy Ale on tap when I'm feeling like a change up pitch.

I'm really hoping our new brewery here...ETX Brewing Co...will start canning soon. They have some damn good beers. I'd put their 1846 IPA up against any out there.

DJR210
08-16-2017, 02:01 PM
I've always liked Dankosaurus. Seems less places around here have it though. I typically don't drink it at my local drafthouse because they have both Green Flash West Coast and Odell Myrcenary on tap there and that's the only place in town I can get either of those. They are also the only place in town I can get Rogue Dead Guy Ale on tap when I'm feeling like a change up pitch.

I'm really hoping our new brewery here...ETX Brewing Co...will start canning soon. They have some damn good beers. I'd put their 1846 IPA up against any out there.

I didn't care much for Green Flash West Coast, but I'll see if Specs has the others..

If you like the dank citrusy IPA's, there's a new seasonal called Spanish Trampoline from Green Flash that you'll like if you fuck w/ Dankasaurus. Also, do yourself a huge favor and try that new seasonal Stone RuinTen Triple IPA.. It's like 10.8% and brewed with orange and vanilla bean.. Fucking great beer.

The Gemini Method
08-17-2017, 03:17 PM
Haven't really drank much of late, but on the topic of IPAs it's been over saturated that you're forced to stick with breweries that you know and love. I think a surprising beer I've had this summer--and it comes from a brewery that I'm neither here nor there on is Mango Cart from Golden Road. It's nothing complex or award winning but it's crispness is nice for the summer months.

Gonna be interesting to see how he does in Germany. I know in other European countries, theyre establishing American-style gastropubs so it'll be very interesting to see how it goes.