View Full Version : "Kawhi Leonard is not a superstar" - Penny Hardaway

JohnnyMax
08-14-2017, 02:38 AM

dabom
08-14-2017, 02:49 AM
I hope you get a pink for this shit. :lol

thiste
08-14-2017, 03:27 AM
I'll take Jordan's word over Penny "relevant for two seasons" Hardaway.

DJR210
08-14-2017, 03:33 AM
Penny "Puppet is More Relevant than Me" Hardaway

Emperor
08-14-2017, 03:53 AM
Alot of saltiness towards the Spurs this off-season.

Spurtacular
08-14-2017, 06:12 AM
Anfernee was always more flash than substance. I can't blame him for being consistent with his being.

buttsR4rebounding
08-14-2017, 06:27 AM
Not a superstar because he has no interest in being the face of the league or starring in TV commercials...I guess Tim Duncan wasn't a superstar either.

Seventyniner
08-14-2017, 08:28 AM
By his definition of "superstar" Penny is right. To many, "star" means more than just talent.

At the end saying that Kawhi is not a "superstar player" is complete bullshit though. On the court Kawhi is a superstar by any definition.

hooperflash
08-14-2017, 08:39 AM
I like that they put "Retired NBA Star Penny Hardaway" below the quote and not Superstar :lol

DaBears
08-14-2017, 09:47 AM

Everyone is allowed to have their opinion.. Whether agree or disagree, I least we live in country where we can express our opinions no matter how far off the edge those opinions are w/o fear of backlash..... KL 95 rating on 2k says otherwise...

RD2191
08-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Who?

Joseph Kony
08-14-2017, 10:25 AM
lol so he's not a corporate whore who craves media attention so he's not a superstar? fuck outta here with your busted knees having ass

wildbill2u
08-14-2017, 10:38 AM
If the definition of a superstar is someone who has almost superhuman talent to make impossible plays--and egos to match--, then Kwahi is not a superstar by that definition.

However, If your definition expands to include players whose game fundamentals are super and who got there by hard work and practice to hone their skills, then Kwahi is a self-made superstar in virtually every statistical category and like MJ says, "the best two way player in the league.".

BillMc
08-14-2017, 10:46 AM
Penny "Puppet is More Relevant than Me" Hardaway
:lol

Capt Bringdown
08-14-2017, 11:01 AM
His agent must have told him to be more controversial.

phxspurfan
08-14-2017, 11:25 AM
So then TD wasn't a superstar. Also half the superstars in history like Stockton, Malone, Hakeem, etc before the age of social media superstars

daslicer
08-14-2017, 11:45 AM
Jax set the tone for these guys to say stupid things about the spurs. These guys saw how Jax got a job through dissing the spurs and figure they can do the same. Penny is auditioning for a job.

Keepin' it real
08-14-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm outraged. Need to find a safe space.

TheGreatYacht
08-14-2017, 11:50 AM
That injury was the best thing that happened to Penny. Mother fucker had 3 decent years averaging 20pts & 6ast and then that injury gave him a pass for not improving and being a perennial bust.

Spurtacular
08-14-2017, 12:03 PM
So, does this mean that Steph Curry is the biggest superstar of all-time? Cos I can scarcely watch TV without seeing this fucker.

spurs10
08-14-2017, 12:06 PM
The way he framed the definition of "superstar" completely shows how superficial his comments are. Like many have said, not wanting to sell yourself to every corporation with their checkbook open when you have 100 million in the back makes sense. Some people don't suck the corporate sick, no offense SC.

Quadzilla99
08-14-2017, 12:09 PM
Petty was pretty damn good in his prime. Kind of sad to see him come so old and bitter

Horse
08-14-2017, 12:18 PM
This motherfucker must've never seen HEB commericals

bic50
08-14-2017, 12:30 PM
I always thought a superstar was a top player in the league. Had no idea starring in commercials and all that had anything to do with it.

.G.
08-14-2017, 12:35 PM
Attention is a scarce commodity.

BatManu20
08-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Back-pedaling.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHNGeYsUwAEQJ08?format=jpg&name=large

DJR210
08-14-2017, 01:27 PM
:lol he probably got approached by some angry Orejones over his blashepmous comments

tmtcsc
08-14-2017, 01:39 PM
EASY NOW !!! Pump the brakes folks and try to hunt down the actual interview. The OP posted a terrible and incorrect transcribing of what Penny actually said. If anything, Hardwaway was very complimentary regarding Kawhi, saying something to the effect that Kawhi isn't concerned about the promotional and endorsement stuff, that he's only concerned with working on his game and being the best player he can be.

At first, Penny hesistated when asked if he thought Leonard was a Superstar. The people interviewing him were trying to sway him in to saying something negative and he didn't take the bait. When he paused, one of the dudes jumped in and said "We get it Penny, not only does he not do endorsements,"the guy doesn't event like to talk.

That's when Penny got defensive and said something to the fact that "Kawhi IS a Superstar". He just isn't the typical player who whores himself out to endorsements. He was very clear imo - at the end saying that Kawhi is a Superstar because of his play and not any endorsements marketing him as a Superstar. If anything, it was a slap at some of the other "fake" superstars in the league.

Good Lord, I've never seen something so false spreading so fast before.

look_at_g_shred
08-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Why open your mouth in the first place?

tmtcsc
08-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Why open your mouth in the first place?

The two dudes interviewing Penny threw out names and whether he believed they were superstars. He didn't come on to talk about Kawhi specifically. The guys from the show were the dickheads.

tmtcsc
08-14-2017, 01:51 PM
Sirius NBA radio with Jared Greenberg and his co-host went so far as to apologize to Penny for how they felt about his comments. They initially thought he was full of shit and unnecessarily negative, had his priorities mixed up, etc for the comments. Once they played it and heard what he actually said and how he said it, they totally slammed the reporting. They called it irresponsible, faulty, etc..

bklynspursfan
08-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Back-pedaling.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHNGeYsUwAEQJ08?format=jpg&name=large

He literally did say he wasn't a superstar :lol

bklynspursfan
08-14-2017, 02:10 PM
EASY NOW !!! Pump the brakes folks and try to hunt down the actual interview. The OP posted a terrible and incorrect transcribing of what Penny actually said. If anything, Hardwaway was very complimentary regarding Kawhi, saying something to the effect that Kawhi isn't concerned about the promotional and endorsement stuff, that he's only concerned with working on his game and being the best player he can be.

At first, Penny hesistated when asked if he thought Leonard was a Superstar. The people interviewing him were trying to sway him in to saying something negative and he didn't take the bait. When he paused, one of the dudes jumped in and said "We get it Penny, not only does he not do endorsements,"the guy doesn't event like to talk.

That's when Penny got defensive and said something to the fact that "Kawhi IS a Superstar". He just isn't the typical player who whores himself out to endorsements. He was very clear imo - at the end saying that Kawhi is a Superstar because of his play and not any endorsements marketing him as a Superstar. If anything, it was a slap at some of the other "fake" superstars in the league.

Thanks for clearing that up :tu

SpursforSix
08-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Too late. Fuck Penny Hardaway.

RD2191
08-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Too late. Fuck Penny Hardaway.
:lol

spurs10
08-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Good of you to pipe in then. Good on him if he was indeed complimenting Kawhi for caring more about developing his game than spending the day on the set. I'm in a remote place and barely get internet, so I definitely didn't read or see the interview!

RD2191
08-14-2017, 04:52 PM
Idgaf how he said what he said. As long as he said that Kawhi isn't a superstar then he's a dumbass in my book.

Phenomanul
08-14-2017, 05:15 PM

This is how reporters make a name for themselves these days... by becoming news themselves. Journalistic integrity went out the door many moons ago.

Budkin
08-14-2017, 05:47 PM
Damn man, I loved Penny. But bitterness is a motherfucker.

Play Boban
08-14-2017, 06:14 PM
:cry

lefty
08-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Good of you to pipe in then. Good on him if he was indeed complimenting Kawhi for caring more about developing his game than spending the day on the set. I'm in a remote place and barely get internet, so I definitely didn't read or see the interview!
You're in Slovenia?

thiste
08-14-2017, 06:48 PM

Did you miss the last two years in politics?

heyheymymy
08-14-2017, 07:03 PM
Holy fuck im done with this faggot nba and its new poverty jerseys, bullshit collusion and kiddo xbox rosters.

You gotta do faggot ass sprite comercials to be a super star now? Maybe if lebron could lead d leaguers, summer camp tryouts and geriatric vets to 60 wins in the savage west he wouldnt need sprite commercials. Who gives a fuck about coward ass kd feeding off of wide open looks when he couldnt even win with 1 or 2 other superstars?

Nba got it all wrong. Kawhi is their best entertainment asset but unfortunately the state of education in america has got hordes of literal retards that celebrate watching people win shit they never earned and I'd push what ever the masses were consuming too if i were the association.

Jesus fuckin Christ.

dbreiden83080
08-14-2017, 07:17 PM
You had a dynamite 2 and 1/2 seasons Penny. Much respect.

Aztecfan03
08-14-2017, 07:37 PM
Did you miss the last two years in politics?
2? You must have missed a lot of time also.

tholdren
08-14-2017, 09:51 PM

You must not read spurstalk

tmtcsc
08-14-2017, 10:14 PM
For the benefit of those who didn't get to hear the interview, I went back to Sirius XM and transcribed it word for word. Just for the record, I've got no love for Penny Hardaway & really don't care about him one way or the other. I just thought this deserved to be cleared up because it involved Kawhi and the supposed shade thrown his way NEVER happened.

Radio Hosts: Gerald Brown, Mark Morgan

Context of the discussion - Superstars vs Stars. In the two hosts opinions, the word "Superstar" was being thrown around too much and the label was being applied to players who didn't deserve it. So they wanted Penny's opinion on what constituted a "Superstar" and who he believed deserved the title. Penny said he felt Superstars were the players that consistently achieved "All-NBA" level, were consistently voted in to the All Star games, were invited to play on Olympic teams and were the face of their teams on & off the court.

The hosts then said, ok so Lebron then - Penny says for sure, then they named KD & Westbrook, to which he answered quickly and said "yes", fourth they mentioned Steph - to which he replied "Superstar". Then they said "Kawhi":

Penny: Superstar? (2 seconds pass by)

Radio Host: He’s not flashy right? He’ll put you to sleep.

Penny: Nah, no,no,no, I’m not going to discount Kawhi because I love Kawhi. You know what? I COULD give Kawhi “Superstar” (status) because he’s just not a guy that likes commercials, he’s not a guy that wants to be the face of the league, he just wants to get his work done.

Radio Host: Penny, he doesn’t even want to talk, Penny. He’s the quietest dude ever.

Penny: Well that does go along with being a Superstar, but I would give him…He would be a Superstar with me for sure because he handles his own with anyone in the league.

Somehow, that dialogue was tweeted by Clutchpoints as this quote:

"Superstar? No. Kawhi Leonard is NOT a Superstar because he has no interest in being the face of the league or starring in commercials. He’s a good player but I don’t consider him a superstar player”

That's ridiculous and a COMPLETE misrepresentation of what Penny said and meant. I hope Clutchpoints deleted the tweet and apologized for misquoting him.

spurs10
08-14-2017, 10:26 PM
You're in Slovenia?
No I'm stateside near Big Bend in an especially beautiful part of West Texas.

Spur|n|Austin
08-14-2017, 10:31 PM
For the benefit of those who didn't get to hear the interview, I went back to Sirius XM and transcribed it word for word. Just for the record, I've got no love for Penny Hardaway & really don't care about him one way or the other. I just thought this deserved to be cleared up because it involved Kawhi and the supposed shade thrown his way NEVER happened.

Context of the discussion - Superstars vs Stars. In the two hosts opinions, the word "Superstar" was being thrown around too much and the label was being applied to players who didn't deserve it. So they wanted Penny's opinion on what constituted a "Superstar" and who he believed deserved the title. Penny said he felt Superstars were the players that consistently achieved "All-NBA" level, were consistently voted in to the All Star games, were invited to play on Olympic teams and were the face of their teams on & off the court.

The hosts then said, ok so Lebron then - Penny says for sure, then they named KD & Westbrook, to which he answered quickly and said "yes", fourth they mentioned Steph - to which he replied "Superstar". Then they said "Kawhi":

Penny: Nah, no,no,no, I’m not going to discount Kawhi because I love Kawhi. You know what? I COULD give Kawhi “Superstar” (status) because he’s just not a guy that likes commercials, he’s not a guy that wants to be the face of the league, he just wants to get his work done.

Radio Host: Penny, he doesn’t even want to talk, Penny. He’s the quietest dude ever.

Penny: Well that does go along with being a Superstar, but I would give him…He would be a Superstar with me for sure because he handles his own with anyone in the league.

Somehow, that dialogue was tweeted by Clutch (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=19891)points as this quote:

"Superstar? No. Kawhi Leonard is NOT a Superstar because he has no interest in being the face of the league or starring in commercials. He’s a good player but I don’t consider him a superstar player”

That's ridiculous and a COMPLETE misrepresentation of what Penny said and meant. I hope Clutchpoints deleted the tweet and apologized for misquoting him.

Wow whoever tweeted that out after couldn't have butchered it any worse than they did. Thanks for the transcribing :tu

spurs10
08-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Somehow, that dialogue was tweeted by Clutchpoints as this quote:

That's ridiculous and a COMPLETE misrepresentation of what Penny said and meant. I hope Clutchpoints deleted the tweet and apologized for misquoting him. Thanks!

Wow whoever tweeted that out after couldn't have butchered it any worse than they did. Thanks for the transcribing :tu
Yes!

kuato
08-15-2017, 02:10 AM
Superstar is media bullshit, but NBA is business dude, no money no love.

Phenomanul
08-15-2017, 10:57 AM
We got folks like that in this forum.

Some people here fabricated the notion that Bowen has a gripe against Ginobili and that he is too selfish a player. :rolleyes

spurs10
08-15-2017, 11:09 AM
Superstar is media bullshit, but NBA is business dude, no money no love. Yeah 90 million in the bank will do the trick!

mingus
08-16-2017, 06:47 AM
Not very surprising that a guy like Penny who built his career of media hype considers media hype to be a deciding factor in whether a player is a superstar or not.

Here's the thing: if Kawhi keeps up I up he'll be a first ballot HOF, and Penny would lucky to take a shit in the HOF building.

Phenomanul
08-16-2017, 10:31 AM
Not very surprising that a guy like Penny who built his career of media hype considers media hype to be a deciding factor in whether a player is a superstar or not.

Here's the thing: if Kawhi keeps up I up he'll be a first ballot HOF, and Penny would lucky to take a shit in the HOF building.

Read the transcript that tmtcsc posted... Penny's alleged shade is nothing more than "fake news".

RLT
08-17-2017, 09:49 AM
That Penny, Tyra Banks commercial though

superbigtime
08-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Holy fuck im done with this faggot nba and its new poverty jerseys, bullshit collusion and kiddo xbox rosters.

You gotta do faggot ass sprite comercials to be a super star now? Maybe if lebron could lead d leaguers, summer camp tryouts and geriatric vets to 60 wins in the savage west he wouldnt need sprite commercials. Who gives a fuck about coward ass kd feeding off of wide open looks when he couldnt even win with 1 or 2 other superstars?

Nba got it all wrong. Kawhi is their best entertainment asset but unfortunately the state of education in america has got hordes of literal retards that celebrate watching people win shit they never earned and I'd push what ever the masses were consuming too if i were the association.

Jesus fuckin Christ.

Post of the year. I applaud.

rastaspur
08-18-2017, 10:32 AM
Washed up penny was misquoted. Nothing wrong with what he actually said about kawhi.