PDA

View Full Version : Practice does not turn out to be big-scream TV

ducks
10-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Practice does not turn out to be big-scream TV
Karl turns down volume, minds p's and q's during NBA TV telecast of Nuggets workout

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
October 13, 2005

NBA TV was on a 7-second delay. That was a good for those with sensitive ears.

"I don't think I was as vocal with the four-letter words as I normally am, but I still got a few in there," Denver Nuggets coach George Karl said after practice Wednesday was telecast nearly live.

Advertisement

Karl initially was not pleased to hear about the broadcast. In the end, though, it proved painless.

NBA TV officials raved about Karl's showing. And Karl didn't think the cameras were too much of a distraction.

"There are always days during the year you think kind of messes with what the coach wants," said Karl, who was miked during the workout, along with players Carmelo Anthony and Bryon Russell. "Picture day. Ball- signing day. Sponsor day. All those things everybody wants to kind of steal and touch the players. I understand that. I thought we had a pretty good practice despite it."

Like at any other practice, Karl did his share of grumbling. And Nuggets players approached it as if it was a typical workout.

OK, maybe it was a tad different.

"I think a few more guys were doing more dunks than they probably would," guard DerMarr Johnson said.

NBA TV is broadcasting nearly live practices this month from nine training camps. General manager Kiki Vandeweghe likes the progression since NBA TV was given plenty of access two years ago to film Nuggets training camp.

"We started this with Real Training Camp two years ago," Vande- weghe said. "It gives fans a chance to see how training camp works. It's a great idea."

JOHNSON TO START: Karl raved last week about Voshon Lenard being the best player in training camp. But that wasn't good enough to get him a start.

Karl said Johnson will start at shooting guard tonight when the Nuggets begin the preseason at the Pepsi Center against the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets.

Lenard was the Nuggets starter in 2003-04 and last season in the opener, when he suffered a torn left Achilles' tendon and missed 79 games.

"He was there last year," Karl said of Johnson, the starting shooting guard late last season. "Starting means nothing to me. . . . Everybody knows Vo is here. . . . Who starts an exhibition game is not going to determine who is playing."

As for who is not playing, Nene will sit out because of a strained right hamstring. Karl said other possibilities to be sidelined are Earl Boykins, Eduardo Najera and Greg Buckner, who have groin strains. Buckner suffered his injury Wednesday.

The Nuggets have been battling each other for nine consecutive days of practices. Players are happy to finally see an outside opponent.

"Fresh blood, man," forward Ken- yon Martin said. "Instead of Nigel (Dixon, a 320-pound center) beating up on us, he gets to beat up on somebody else."

Lenard, who shot 2-for-12 on Tuesday in the Blue/White Scrimmage, has relinquished his title of best player in training camp.

"Now I think (Andre Miller has) probably been the best guy in camp," Karl said.

ETC.: Vandeweghe had talks earlier this week with owner Stan Kroenke but declined to say whether a possible contract extension was discussed. "We talked about a lot of stuff," said Vandeweghe, whose five-year contract expires after the season. Asked if there will be any contract discussions during the season, Vandeweghe said, "I'm really, honestly just grateful for the opportunity to be in Denver, a place that I love." . . . While Anthony's $4.69 million contract option for 2006-07 almost certainly will be picked up, Vandeweghe doesn't anticipate it being done until the Oct. 31 deadline because that is team policy . . . Karl said a drawback in camp has been numerous top big men being limited because of injuries or being given rest. "It seems like I'm playing with the guys we're going to cut more," he said . . . Earl Watson said he will play tonight despite his right side being "all swollen" after banging into a basket support during the scrimmage . . . Karl compared the Hurricane Katrina-displaced Hornets playing in Oklahoma City this season with his Seattle SuperSonics playing in Tacoma, Wash., in 1994-95, when KeyArena was being refurbished.