PDA

View Full Version : Kawhi has surpassed Duncan as an offensive player

apalisoc_9
08-16-2017, 08:28 PM
No denying it now...Just look up the numbers in basketball ref and Leonard is doing it At restricted minutes.

only thing is Duncan might very well be the best defenive player of all time.

kaji157
08-16-2017, 08:35 PM
No

Spurtacular
08-16-2017, 08:38 PM
Attention Whore Thread # XXXX

TheDoctor
08-16-2017, 08:40 PM
And people will still get defensive by this.

Cloud786
08-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Epic fail thread. Duncan in his prime woulda dropped 40 per game if he wasn't triple teamed every time he had the ball. Kawhi doesn't attract near as much attention.

apalisoc_9
08-16-2017, 08:47 PM
damn so many nostalgia fags. unreal. the numbers speak for themselves.

kawhi can only dream to have Gino-Parker-Bowen...

John Petrucci
08-16-2017, 08:51 PM
I'll still take 2003 Duncan over anything Kawhi has done on offensive side of game, but Kawhi could be on his way to having an overall better offensive career. Surpassed? I wouldn't say so. His rate of improvement is like something we've never seen before, though. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did surpass him in near future.

Damn though gotta at least get that assist average to 5. Hoping we see him around there this year.

TheRemix
08-16-2017, 09:30 PM
2 completely different styles of play..but if I need scoring i'm going with kawhi. He can shoot the 3 and post up. Duncans post game is far better but 3>2

Keepin' it real
08-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Of course he has; Duncan's retired.

Play Boban
08-16-2017, 10:11 PM
:lol

SpursforSix
08-16-2017, 10:19 PM
No denying it now...Just look up the numbers in basketball ref and Leonard is doing it At restricted minutes.

only thing is Duncan might very well be the best defenive player of all time.

Advanced metrics have Duncan slightly ahead.

Spurtacular
08-16-2017, 10:43 PM
Epic fail thread. Duncan in his prime woulda dropped 40 per game if he wasn't triple teamed every time he had the ball. Kawhi doesn't attract near as much attention.

And imagine what he'd do in today's no big league. Hell wasn't one-legged Duncan droppin' 29 on the Rockets in a big game? :lmao

UNT Eagles 2016
08-16-2017, 10:51 PM
2 completely different styles of play..but if I need scoring i'm going with kawhi. He can shoot the 3 and post up. Duncans post game is far better but 3>2

And 88% from the foul line vs. 68% on a good day... 2-17 on a bad day.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-16-2017, 10:52 PM
And imagine what he'd do in today's no big league. Hell wasn't one-legged Duncan droppin' 29 on the Rockets in a big game? :lmao
He'd primarily be riding the pine against hyper smallball teams like GSW today. And that's a fact, like it or not. Even in his prime he'd be a liability.

Spurtacular
08-16-2017, 10:54 PM
He'd primarily be riding the pine against hyper smallball teams like GSW today. And that's a fact, like it or not. Even in his prime he'd be a liability.

:lmao

This could be your worst post on ST, honestly. I suggest you take some time and rethink this nonsense.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-16-2017, 10:56 PM
:lmao

This could be your worst post on ST, honestly. I suggest you take some time and rethink this nonsense.

Athleticism bro. Draymond would beat him, at least half of the time, to the basket if he has him guarding him way out to the arc, but the real danger is when the switching happens. Duncan was the greatest post defender ever, but never that good at one-on-one perimeter defending fast guards who could shoot, score and draw fouls... and GSW has 3 of 'em. One is arguably the greatest shooter ever, a dazzling passer and crafty paint scorer... the second is 6'11" and almost impossible not to foul. The third is also a heck of a shooter and very deceptive.

Spurtacular
08-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Athleticism bro. Draymond would beat him, at least half of the time, to the basket if he has him guarding him way out to the arc, but the real danger is when the switching happens. Duncan was the greatest post defender ever, but never that good at one-on-one perimeter defending fast guards who could shoot, score and draw fouls... and GSW has 3 of 'em. One is arguably the greatest shooter ever and the other is 6'11" and almost impossible not to foul.

Bro, Draymond wasn't doing shit on Duncan when he was a relic relative to his old self.

And with a prime Duncan, any coach worth his weight in manure would find a way to defend on the arc "danger".

UNT Eagles 2016
08-16-2017, 11:02 PM
Bro, Draymond wasn't doing shit on Duncan when he was a relic relative to his old self.

And with a prime Duncan, any coach worth his weight in manure would find a way to defend on the arc "danger".

Duncan, Bowen and SG carousel (Smitty...? Finley...? Barry...?) wouldn't hold them under 100 no matter how hard they tried, and the Spurs wouldn't score consistently enough to beat them

tmtcsc
08-16-2017, 11:07 PM
Oh for fuck's sake, here we go...

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_me2iedJKWK1rgchc8o1_500.gif

cd98
08-16-2017, 11:28 PM

Honestly, this is a bad take. Not only would a prime Duncan anchor a defense that could destroy GSW, but he would destroy Green on the post and force them to play big. The game today doesn't feature bigs bc their are no bigs with elite skills like Duncan had. Hell even LMA was killing GSW until Kawhi went down.

cd98
08-16-2017, 11:33 PM
Athleticism bro. Draymond would beat him, at least half of the time, to the basket if he has him guarding him way out to the arc, but the real danger is when the switching happens. Duncan was the greatest post defender ever, but never that good at one-on-one perimeter defending fast guards who could shoot, score and draw fouls... and GSW has 3 of 'em. One is arguably the greatest shooter ever, a dazzling passer and crafty paint scorer... the second is 6'11" and almost impossible not to foul. The third is also a heck of a shooter and very deceptive.

First off, it's a myth that Duncan wasn't a good post defender. He was an all time great. Second, he's an all time great rim protector. Third, Green has no post game. He's a face up shooter and maybe take unathletic bigs off the dribble. But Duncan would not get beat by Green, not in his prime. People just don't remember prime Duncan. They are remembering his last 4 or 5 years in the league. But even old Duncan could devestate GSW and force them to use a big.

Arcadian
08-16-2017, 11:40 PM

Prime Duncan would take a wet diarrhea shit all over that faggot Gaymond.

I don't know what's more offensive, your diminishing Duncan or propping up Gaymond. Gaymond is an overrated piece of shit, while Duncan is top 5 all time. I'm sorry you can't see that.

daslicer
08-16-2017, 11:59 PM
First off, it's a myth that Duncan wasn't a good post defender. He was an all time great. Second, he's an all time great rim protector. Third, Green has no post game. He's a face up shooter and maybe take unathletic bigs off the dribble. But Duncan would not get beat by Green, not in his prime. People just don't remember prime Duncan. They are remembering his last 4 or 5 years in the league. But even old Duncan could devestate GSW and force them to use a big.

A lot of these kids grew up with past prime Duncan which was from '08-16 so they can't see Duncan ever being an athlete from what they remember of him. I always tell young kids that prime Duncan had Anthony Davis like athleticism. He was that fast, that quick, that athletic.

Ice009
08-17-2017, 12:09 AM

Man, if I could get a hold of you. One of the biggest retards around here. Probably one of the worst posters on the site.

Mr. Body
08-17-2017, 12:27 AM
When does the season start?

YGWHI
08-17-2017, 12:50 AM
1-Don't give a shit

2-Anyway, great perimeter players are more versatile as scorers than great bigmen.
A versatile perimeter player like Kawhi, is everything on offense, P&Rs ball-handler, Iso player, spot-up shooter, off screen shooter, buckets in transition, post-up player...

3-In Warriors-Superteams Era, I'd love to see how dominant looks Kawhi with some prime Parker/Ginobili-caliber players.

4-This offseason I missed Spurs games and Kawhi doing exciting plays... I'm just using this thread to post Kawhi's vids.

5-If some stupid asshole has doubts about who was Tim Duncan...Only 50 guys made the list in the whole history of sports, Tim is one of them.

http://theundefeated.com/features/50-greatest-black-athletes/?addata=espn:frontpage#tim-duncan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1sORY3Kh4

phxspurfan
08-17-2017, 01:06 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL1sORY3Kh4

1:32...

tbdog
08-17-2017, 01:10 AM
That Rockets 2way play is just epic.

Fireball
08-17-2017, 01:26 AM
stop right there Apo ...

Skoobz
08-17-2017, 02:49 AM
Gawd your a dick sucking playa fan

eric365
08-17-2017, 05:19 AM
Duncan's offense got his teamates better by giving them open look. Most of the time in hockey assist that you won't find in the stats.
Kawhi not as much

Stand
08-17-2017, 06:56 AM
The Spurs played a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy slower game when Timmy was in his prime than compared to today. So his offensive numbers are deceiving when you don't look at them in context. He could more than put the ball in the hoop when the team needed him too.

Joseph Kony
08-17-2017, 09:04 AM
Kawhi has a larger offensive repertoire, that is not really debatable. But Duncan in his prime had so many posts moves and with his size and touch he could score at will. He was basically unstoppable if his turn around hook shot was falling tbh

Galileo
08-17-2017, 09:25 AM
What about Gervin?

kaji157
08-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Teams still double and triple teamed Duncan when he had Tony and Manu in his prime alongside him.

Kawhi's next best players are Aldridge and no one, and still teams rarely double or triple on him.
That's really the difference, they may be very efficient, may attract a lot of attention, but Duncan needed to be doubled or tripled to be stopped, and was very good taking advantage of that, and still teams did it.
Kawhi on the other hand is not as effective creating for others off a double team, doesn't have nearly as good sporting cast, and still teams have no problem letting him go one on one most of the game.

TheGreatYacht
08-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Better than prime Manure at literally everything, tbh...

Anyone who says otherwise is an illegal.

Thomas82
08-18-2017, 12:53 PM
A lot of these kids grew up with past prime Duncan which was from '08-16 so they can't see Duncan ever being an athlete from what they remember of him. I always tell young kids that prime Duncan had Anthony Davis like athleticism. He was that fast, that quick, that athletic.

+1

SpursforSix
08-18-2017, 01:01 PM
Kawhi has a larger offensive repertoire, that is not really debatable. But Duncan in his prime had so many posts moves and with his size and touch he could score at will. He was basically unstoppable if his turn around hook shot was falling tbh

I don't know about that Kone (no racist). Both are decent jump shooters. Leonard has more range. But Duncan was more automatic from closer in. Leonard can drive but Duncan had superior post moves. I don't think you can say definitively that KL has a larger repertoire.

coachmac87
08-18-2017, 01:32 PM
Ban this fuck already

BD24
08-18-2017, 01:48 PM
I swear op has posted the same faggy thread before. Why isn't this faggot pinked yet tbh?

Brazil
08-18-2017, 01:55 PM
The Spurs played a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy slower game when Timmy was in his prime than compared to today. So his offensive numbers are deceiving when you don't look at them in context. He could more than put the ball in the hoop when the team needed him too.

most advanced stats take into account pace bro

OP is not just about raw stat

Joseph Kony
08-18-2017, 04:54 PM
I don't know about that Kone (no racist). Both are decent jump shooters. Leonard has more range. But Duncan was more automatic from closer in. Leonard can drive but Duncan had superior post moves. I don't think you can say definitively that KL has a larger repertoire.
I have to disagree tbh. Duncan did have an excellent post game and superior moves in the post, but Kawhi can score from literally anywhere. Post up, face up, turnaround fadeaways, driving, 3 pointers, etc. I will say Duncan had a more elite post game than any 1 particular area of Kawhi's offensive game, but Leonard is so consistent across the offense that overall he has a larger repertoire of moves on offense.

Kinda like how Carmello has one of the most complete offensive games in the league but he was nowhere near as good on offense as Shaq because Shaq was literally unstoppable under the basket despite the around the basket game being his only real offense. imho

skulls138
08-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Its the nature of the position. SFs should have a bigger repertoire while PF/C should be more specialized.

SpursforSix
08-18-2017, 06:15 PM
I have to disagree tbh. Duncan did have an excellent post game and superior moves in the post, but Kawhi can score from literally anywhere. Post up, face up, turnaround fadeaways, driving, 3 pointers, etc. I will say Duncan had a more elite post game than any 1 particular area of Kawhi's offensive game, but Leonard is so consistent across the offense that overall he has a larger repertoire of moves on offense.

Kinda like how Carmello has one of the most complete offensive games in the league but he was nowhere near as good on offense as Shaq because Shaq was literally unstoppable under the basket despite the around the basket game being his only real offense. imho

Yeah...that's decent. I still think it's hard (no homo) to quantify that.

daslicer
08-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Young Duncan's athletic ability is captured well in this highlight reel from a game during his rookie year.

UlTg0oCTatY

dbreiden83080
08-18-2017, 10:28 PM
Not sure I am ready to go there. But I love Leonard. So I really don't want to argue too much LOL.

dbreiden83080
08-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Young Duncan's athletic ability is captured well in this highlight reel from a game during his rookie year.

UlTg0oCTatY

The thing that made him so special is that he came into the league so polished and dominant on both ends of the floor. Some players you say well they have the tools to one day become a good defender. Tim was dominant as a defender and as an offensive player as a rookie.

skulls138
08-19-2017, 12:47 AM
Yeah...that's decent. I still think it's hard (no homo) to quantify that.What you cant say "hard" anymore? Geez, whats this world coming to.....no homo just in case....but geez

TheDoctor
08-19-2017, 12:56 AM
The thing that made him so special is that he came into the league so polished and dominant on both ends of the floor. Some players you say well they have the tools to one day become a good defender. Tim was dominant as a defender and as an offensive player as a rookie.
TD entered the League as an MVP candidate.

DMC
08-19-2017, 12:56 AM
Prime Michael Jordan couldn't be a starter in today's NBA. 3>2.

Shaq wouldn't have a chance. Sure he could score on every trip, but 3>2.

Ok now some other Sleeper Cell crew member say something more stupid than that. Let's keep this going. It's really going to piss off the lifers.

ElNono
08-19-2017, 01:18 AM
2 pages and going strong... success...

SpursforSix
08-19-2017, 01:19 AM
What you cant say "hard" anymore? Geez, whats this world coming to.....no homo just in case....but geez

Wtf...at least I didn't call him black (no racist).

Arcadian
08-20-2017, 01:15 PM

UlTg0oCTatY

God damn I love this video. It shows not only his strength and athleticism, but also his precision and finesse, something you dont see anymore from big men in the NBA. There is no current NBA big as good as rookie Duncan, much less prime Duncan.

DMC
08-20-2017, 07:33 PM
God damn I love this video. It shows not only his strength and athleticism, but also his precision and finesse, something you dont see anymore from big men in the NBA. There is no current NBA big as good as rookie Duncan, much less prime Duncan.

Of course there's not. Tim was an all time talent. You won't see another one for a long time.

Arcadian
08-20-2017, 10:13 PM
Of course there's not. Tim was an all time talent. You won't see another one for a long time.

Yeah, he's my favorite athlete ever and probably can't be surpassed. It's just funny that Davis and Cousins in their primes are worse than Duncan as a rookie. Even among the all time greats, rarely have they been as polished and dominant fresh into the league.

jimbo
08-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Tbh if you agree with this, you have to give the nod to Kobe over Duncan.

So I disagree.

Horse
08-21-2017, 12:17 PM
Love Kawhi but we all know Timmy could've scored a lot more if he needed to or wanted to. Timmy is also grossly underrated as a passer and maybe even develops a 3 playing in this era.

Thomas82
08-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Love Kawhi but we all know Timmy could've scored a lot more if he needed to or wanted to. Timmy is also grossly underrated as a passer and maybe even develops a 3 playing in this era.

I remember him saying that he could have shot the 3, but Pop never put it in the playbook.