PDA

View Full Version : Mavs rookie Marshall heading home on trip

ducks
10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Mavs rookie Marshall heading home on trip

By DWAIN PRICE

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

NEW YORK - Rawle Marshall will feel right at home during the Mavericks' two-game road trip to New York and Detroit.

That's because he will be at home.

Marshall and his family moved to New York from Guyana, South America, when he was 4 years old.

They later moved to Detroit, where Marshall graduated from MacKenzie High School in 2001.

In college, Marshall averaged 18.6 points and was a two-time first-team All-Mid-Continent Conference selection while playing for Oakland University, which is outside of Detroit.

Thus, when the Mavs play a preseason game against the Knicks at 5 p.m. today at Madison Square Garden and another one Tuesday against the Pistons at The Palace of Auburn Hills, Marshall expects to see several friendly faces in the stands.

"I've got family in New York and family in Detroit, so they're excited, I'm excited, and I just can't wait to go over there," Marshall said. "Hopefully I'll play and get some minutes."

Marshall went undrafted in June, but signed a two-year free agent contract with the Mavericks on Aug. 5.

Early indications from Mavericks officials are that the 6-foot-7, 190-pound swingman will likely play for the Fort Worth Flyers, a new franchise in the NBA Development League.

But that hasn't stopped Marshall from trying to make the big league.

"That's what I'm shooting for," he said. "Hopefully I can crack this roster. Everybody's telling me I'm doing a good job. So I just want to keep on playing and working hard and let the chips fall where they may."

Marshall has been impressive in training camp. In Wednesday's 95-80 preseason loss to the Los Angeles Clippers, he contributed nine points, three rebounds, two assists, two steals and a blocked shot in 30 minutes.

Mavs assistant coach Rolando Blackman, who was raised in New York City, has been instrumental in teaching Marshall the NBA ropes.

"He's been big in my development," Marshall said. "He's been big in just helping me with this game, telling me about the NBA and trying to get me to understand the transition and just giving me more knowledge of the game. ... This game is real physical, so I need to keep on working on getting stronger. The game is fast, too."

Marshall said officials at Oakland University have already purchased 100 tickets for Tuesday's game. He just hopes he gets a chance to play in both games on the road trip.

"This is just a little taste of the NBA," Marshall said of the preseason. "Just stepping on that NBA court is just a great opportunity, and a great lift for me.

"But I just want to keep working hard and try my best out there."

mavs.com