PDA

View Full Version : Why does SA have only one professional (major) sports team?

Spurtacular
08-17-2017, 12:08 AM
I want to be clear I'm not advocating one way or another. I don't live in SA and am looking to defer to the local experts. I've seen this topic broached at times, but this article that mentions that SA is one of the top seven populated cities in the nation has kindled my interest.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2017/8/8/16110954/usa-usmnt-home-field-advantage-red-bull-arena-world-cup-qualifying-new-york

dabom
08-17-2017, 12:17 AM
No one gives a shit you cuck. :lmao

daslicer
08-17-2017, 12:19 AM
I want to be clear I'm not advocating one way or another. I don't live in SA and am looking to defer to the local experts. I've seen this topic broached at times, but this article that mentions that SA is one of the top seven populated cities in the nation has kindled my interest.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2017/8/8/16110954/usa-usmnt-home-field-advantage-red-bull-arena-world-cup-qualifying-new-york

Simple answer it doesn't have a top 20 metro population. That's the most important stat to look at when it comes to population.

Chucho
08-17-2017, 12:20 AM
Because Jerry Jones blocked the Vikes and Saints from moving there and the San Antonio Missions puffy taco mascot gets tackled by a kid each game, shich is infinitely more entertaining than MLB.

Mr. Body
08-17-2017, 12:26 AM
It's a poor city, relatively speaking. Also Dallas and Houston have crowded out the field.

When does the season start?

Spurtacular
08-17-2017, 12:40 AM
^^^

The nearness of other big cities already having the teams was a factor I had figured could be at the top of the list. I don't think a large metro population is entirely necessary, but it definitely helps. I know in my own experience that going from a a 15-minute drive to a 35-minute drive has dramatically curtailed my sports attendance. Still, I find it a bit of an anomaly that SA never did get that second major sports team.

John B
08-17-2017, 12:52 AM
We can't even sign Simmons :depressed

Chris
08-17-2017, 01:02 AM
Because Jerry Jones

/thread

TheWriter
08-17-2017, 06:52 AM

Who will turn into another Gary Neal, Cory Joseph, Marco Belineli, Aron Baynes, etc.

He's not that good but you stand overrate the shit out of him.

TheWriter
08-17-2017, 06:54 AM
It's a poor city, relatively speaking.

Who the fuck measures city anything nowadays? What matters is metropolitan size and economy, not city. This isn't the 60s or 70s you fucking sterile nitwit.

And just by any metric, you're still fucking wrong and your lame ass comment belongs in the year 2002.

dabom
08-17-2017, 06:58 AM
Who the fuck measured city anything nowadays? What matters is metro size and economy not city. This isn't the 60s or 70s you fucking sterile nitwit.

And just by going any metric, you're fucking wrong and your lame ass comment belongs in the year 2002.
:lol

mookie2001
08-17-2017, 07:04 AM
I would say go back to the New York Giants' move to San Francisco before the 1958 baseball season.

Spurtacular
08-17-2017, 09:08 AM
When I lived in the Twin Cities, they had teams for all four major sports. A prevalent theme on their sports radio was that their market was over-saturated. At one point, one of the K-FAN guys cited a study of the cities' optimum numbers for teams; TC was 2.6 IIRC.

xellos88330
08-17-2017, 09:22 AM
IIRC, they are thinking about bringing professional soccer here, but I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

Spurtacular
08-17-2017, 09:27 AM
IIRC, they are thinking about bringing professional soccer here, but I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

They brought in a USL team, which is MLS soccer's biggest development arm. I believe there's been instances of teams converting to MLS; but the percent is pretty low. Though, SA probably has a really good shot if the ratings and stadium financing are there. A non-saturated market is a dream scenario for MLS.

Keepin' it real
08-17-2017, 09:40 AM

San Antonio already has a Simmons.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/2/2c/KSAT-TV%27s_KSAT_12_News_Tonight%27s_Greg_Simmons_ID_Fr om_Late_1986.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150811221806

Spurs9
08-17-2017, 09:51 AM
We have the Missions.

https://i.gyazo.com/13c318bf63205b5d63ef9bd983321ae7.mp4

Mr. Body
08-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Who the fuck measures city anything nowadays? What matters is metropolitan size and economy, not city. This isn't the 60s or 70s you fucking sterile nitwit.

And just by any metric, you're still fucking wrong and your lame ass comment belongs in the year 2002.

What the fuck are you talking about? By most any measure San Antonio doesn't compare with many other cities economically. Franchises aren't fucking begging to go there because it's a modest city that can only support one team. It's not rocket science.

Darius Bieber
08-17-2017, 10:26 AM

They're about 7th in line to getting MLS. So it's not gonna happen. Cities like Sacramento, Cincinnati, Phoenix are all ahead of SA.

Let's face it. San Antonio is a shitty city in terms of media and entertainment. We even get the shitty concerts, most artists go to Austin. San Antonio will always be a second-tier city or lower.

Spurtacular
08-17-2017, 11:17 AM
They're about 7th in line to getting MLS. So it's not gonna happen. Cities like Sacramento, Cincinnati, Phoenix are all ahead of SA.

Let's face it. San Antonio is a shitty city in terms of media and entertainment. We even get the shitty concerts, most artists go to Austin. San Antonio will always be a second-tier city or lower.

You would think it'd be in many band's interest to do SA because it's far enough away and Austin is a pretty saturated scene.

Horse
08-17-2017, 12:21 PM
Better this way the Spurs belong to the city and along with that comes great loyalty.

Blake
08-17-2017, 12:25 PM
Better this way the Spurs belong to the city and along with that comes great loyalty.

Lol no, it's not better this way.

DaBears
08-17-2017, 01:12 PM
I am curious why is it that most football fans want to blame Jerry Jones for the reason why SA cannot get a football team.. Is it that we truly reason or is it we don't know have a clue! we hear everyone else say jerry Jones this or that.. What proof is there that he is the reason why SA cannot get a team from the NFL.. I am really just baffled why JJ is the default answer to why NO NFL in SA is the default answer with no proof. I tend to think there is not enough money or plan or attraction to our city. I have lived here my whole like and would love to get another major franchise here I would settle for baseball or soccer. preferably Baseball and I don't even watch baseball. Just curious is all

Blake
08-17-2017, 01:31 PM
Biggest money maker for pro sport teams is TV money. Adding the 40th something TV market doesn't add value to the NFL deals.

Spurtacular
08-17-2017, 01:42 PM
I am curious why is it that most football fans want to blame Jerry Jones for the reason why SA cannot get a football team.. Is it that we truly reason or is it we don't know have a clue! we hear everyone else say jerry Jones this or that.. What proof is there that he is the reason why SA cannot get a team from the NFL.. I am really just baffled why JJ is the default answer to why NO NFL in SA is the default answer with no proof. I tend to think there is not enough money or plan or attraction to our city. I have lived here my whole like and would love to get another major franchise here I would settle for baseball or soccer. preferably Baseball and I don't even watch baseball. Just curious is all

Hockey would make the most sense, since ATT Center could double as an arena for it.

DaBears
08-17-2017, 01:43 PM
Biggest money maker for pro sport teams is TV money. Adding the 40th something TV market doesn't add value to the NFL deals.

That I can get on board with, only thing that makes me hesitate to fully agree with you would be cities like Kansas City, Milwaukee possibly a few others that are lower than SA but have 2 major sports teams in smaller market ... I might be wrong didn't fact check those 2 cities I mentioned but cannot be a big difference..

Maddog
08-17-2017, 01:48 PM

I agree,
SA is a lot smaller than people realize. Also not the wealthiest city.

San Antonio is the 31st largest TV market as assessed by Nielsen. This indirectly measures a combination metro size and economy. Not perfect, but I'm to lazy to look at Metropolitan statistical area and per capita income and such...

In looking st this only 4 cities below San Antonio has more than one Major professional team. With the exception of Milwaukee 3 have an NFL team and another. That makes some sense to me as NFL teams can clearly thrive in small markets due to their business model and people will travel a long distance to see the few games they have so they can operate based on regional appeal.
I suspect there is something to SAs proximity to Dallas and Houston that does lessen the chance.

JFK
08-17-2017, 02:01 PM

Yes on the concerts. For anything good you have to go to Dallas or Houston. Jay Z, for example is hitting up those cities.

San Antonio is so awesome if you like to see old ass stuff like The Moody Blues WITHOUT the orchestra, or whats left of the Beach Boys. Even old ass bands like Foreigner perform in Austin, before SA. The venues suck.

cd98
08-17-2017, 02:14 PM
Our airport sucks when the media that covers SA can't even get direct flights here.

phxspurfan
08-17-2017, 04:04 PM
It's a poor city, relatively speaking. Also Dallas and Houston have crowded out the field.

When does the season start?

What I don't understand is why the house prices are so high even in the so-so neighborhoods (Castle Hills). In Phoenix you can pay 180k to get a resort like house built in the 90s with a pool. In SA you can't sniff that for less than 400

UNT Eagles 2016
08-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Simple answer it doesn't have a top 20 metro population. That's the most important stat to look at when it comes to population.

Correct. Same reason why San Jose only has a hockey (:lol) team and Columbus, OH has no sports teams while its smaller Ohio sister cities do.

Play Boban
08-17-2017, 06:05 PM
:cry

Capt Bringdown
08-17-2017, 06:19 PM
San Antonio more like a border town than a cosmopolitan US city. Spurs are all we deserve.

TheWriter
08-17-2017, 09:35 PM
What the fuck are you talking about? By most any measure San Antonio doesn't compare with many other cities economically. Franchises aren't fucking begging to go there because it's a modest city that can only support one team. It's not rocket science.

The same measures that show SA having a higher per capita income than Phoenix? A metro with all the major professional sports?

Right.. keep thinking you know what the fuck you're talking about. You don't.

TheWriter
08-17-2017, 09:37 PM
San Antonio more like a border town than a cosmopolitan US city. Spurs are all we deserve.

Go back to sucking cock for money under the freeway overapasses you uselsss troll.

Spurtacular
08-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Phoenix metro population is 4.50 M. SA metro population is 2.45 M. I'd guess SA may have a bigger outlier population beyond that; but that doesn't mean so much.

Blake
08-18-2017, 02:20 AM
That I can get on board with, only thing that makes me hesitate to fully agree with you would be cities like Kansas City, Milwaukee possibly a few others that are lower than SA but have 2 major sports teams in smaller market ... I might be wrong didn't fact check those 2 cities I mentioned but cannot be a big difference..

KC and Milwaukee are both slightly ahead of SA.

but TV's are already turned on in SA for Cowboys any way. The NFL has no incentive to add a team here

Spurtacular
08-18-2017, 05:56 AM
^^^

I've been to KC and Milwaukee. They are legit urban centers. Though, there are many empty and ran-down buildings in Milwaukee from what I saw.

davi78239
08-18-2017, 09:09 AM
S.A in a nutshell.. if u take away the Spurs, we're El Paso with a Riverwalk. And if u take away the Spurs and the military bases, we're basically Laredo on steroids and with a riverwalk. I've been longing for a second pro franchise as well but we should be so greatful to at least have the Spurs.

Spurtacular
08-18-2017, 09:48 AM
S.A in a nutshell.. if u take away the Spurs, we're El Paso with a Riverwalk. And if u take away the Spurs and the military bases, we're basically Laredo on steroids and with a riverwalk. I've been longing for a second pro franchise as well but we should be so greatful to at least have the Spurs.

Not too pretty. I do think that it's kind of cool to have a Spur-centric city without the distractions. Though, hopefully soccer there gains momentum and you get that second team.

Horse
08-18-2017, 12:18 PM
Lol no, it's not better this way.

Would you rather a bunch of laker, warrior fans running around.

Phenomanul
08-18-2017, 02:58 PM
Phoenix metro population is 4.50 M. SA metro population is 2.45 M. I'd guess SA may have a bigger outlier population beyond that; but that doesn't mean so much.

At some point down the road... it will be the San Antonio - Austin Metroplex. With over 5 million people in the encompassed area (even if the city-proper figures are lower).

tonight...you
08-18-2017, 04:33 PM
I live in El Paso and lived in San Antonio- you are mostly correct. There are more Mexicans here though. I think the population distribution is well over 80% Mexican in El Paso and 60% in Sanny Anny.
I go to any Walmart on any given day over here and realize I'm the only non-Mexican person in the entire building many times.

Spurtacular
08-18-2017, 06:16 PM
At some point down the road... it will be the San Antonio - Austin Metroplex. With over 5 million people in the encompassed area (even if the city-proper figures are lower).

Beyond football, most wouldn't be driving 90 miles with regularity to go to a game though.

Big Empty
08-18-2017, 06:21 PM
Very Simple. build the stadium in between Austin and San Antonio.

K...
08-18-2017, 06:21 PM
San Antonio is way better than Laredo. El paso. Yes, two thirds of the town is like a border town, but the rich parts of SA are richer than all the minor towns in Texas.

I mean y'all know sports are big time frauds right? The subsidies to the sports owners are in the millions. San Antonio is too smart to match the requirements for another big team. The NFL has peaked too, they will not be expanding again. Baseball is shit.

Spurtacular
08-18-2017, 08:03 PM
Very Simple. build the stadium in between Austin and San Antonio.

For football, yes; but not necessary b/c it'll work in either locality.
For hockey, yes; but why bother when you already have the AT&T Center.
For baseball, no; people don't want to drive 45 miles, night after night.
For soccer, maybe; but not likely that a fan base would be cultivated in a relatively remote region.

tonight...you
08-18-2017, 08:05 PM
Garbage talk. Who cares. SA isn't getting a pro team for years, at best and fuck it all.

This is just fishin for a convo by someone lonely.

TheWriter
08-18-2017, 08:25 PM
You fat fucks have nothing better to talk about to talk about huh? Or are most of these usernames the same fat fuck?

tonight...you
08-18-2017, 08:28 PM
You fat fucks have nothing better to talk about to talk about huh? Or are most of these usernames the same fat fuck?
I like to think I'm about slighter better than the average cat my age...
Damn sexier too.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-18-2017, 08:38 PM
KC and Milwaukee are both slightly ahead of SA.

but TV's are already turned on in SA for Cowboys any way. The NFL has no incentive to add a team here

I guarantee you if SA had a football team everyone in SA and south of SA, which gives you another million would become an SA fan.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Beyond football, most wouldn't be driving 90 miles with regularity to go to a game though.

Disagree I know people beyond that distance who make several Spurs games. Plenty of folks make a two hour trip.

Dingle Barry
08-19-2017, 04:57 AM
SA ain't poor if you look at only everything north of 410. However, there is a serious lack of major corporate headquarters in the city. USAA and HEB can only support so much.

TheWriter
08-19-2017, 06:04 AM
SA ain't poor if you look at only everything north of 410. However, there is a serious lack of major corporate headquarters in the city. USAA and HEB can only support so much.

The fact that you think those are the only two companies headquartered in SA just shows how fucking stupid you are.

Spurtacular
08-19-2017, 06:09 AM
Disagree I know people beyond that distance who make several Spurs games. Plenty of folks make a two hour trip.

Sure. There's some hardcore fans that would do that. Under the right circumstances, I'd be doing that. But that's not going to be a critical mass; it just isn't.

FkLA
08-19-2017, 08:32 AM

That's pure speculation/negativity on your part. Phoenix submitted a last second bid. St. Louis was a sure thing and they can't get a stadium deal done. Sac was a sure thing as well and there was an ownership coup.

SA is very much in the running, tbh.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Sure. There's some hardcore fans that would do that. Under the right circumstances, I'd be doing that. But that's not going to be a critical mass; it just isn't.

I'm sure there's a lot of hard core fans and neither you or I have a number on those fans TBH. I'm from a town 2 hours away and there's plenty of people that catch Spurs games and when the subject of a football team comes up in SA people I know would travel to games every other week to catch it. I know people who make roadrunner games all the time.
Es

Spurtacular
08-20-2017, 06:33 AM
I'm sure there's a lot of hard core fans and neither you or I have a number on those fans TBH. I'm from a town 2 hours away and there's plenty of people that catch Spurs games and when the subject of a football team comes up in SA people I know would travel to games every other week to catch it. I know people who make roadrunner games all the time.
Es

Yea, that's for football. I was talking about sports that have more than eight regular season games.

Southwest Texas Fan
08-21-2017, 06:27 PM
Yea, that's for football. I was talking about sports that have more than eight regular season games.

Ok

SnakeBoy
08-22-2017, 01:05 AM
San Antonio already has a Simmons.

https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/logopedia/images/2/2c/KSAT-TV%27s_KSAT_12_News_Tonight%27s_Greg_Simmons_ID_Fr om_Late_1986.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150811221806

lol young Greg Simmons. I remember seeing him at the club (Broadstreet) with dumb chicks hanging around him just because he was on tv. We used to always go up to him and act like we were fans but we'd call him Gene Simmons the whole time :lol.

Dingle Barry
08-23-2017, 12:35 AM
The fact that you think those are the only two companies headquartered in SA just shows how fucking stupid you are.

Oh I forgot Valero. Because I'm fucking stupid. Obviously that invalidates my point, cocksucker.

dbestpro
08-23-2017, 10:19 PM
lol young Greg Simmons. I remember seeing him at the club (Broadstreet) with dumb chicks hanging around him just because he was on tv. We used to always go up to him and act like we were fans but we'd call him Gene Simmons the whole time :lol.

Use to have drinks with Gene Banks at that club. Edge of Town was around that time, and if you want to go to further back it would be Burgundy Woods.

Extra Stout
08-24-2017, 01:00 PM
San Antonio easily is large enough and wealthy enough in 2017 to support an NFL team in an alternate reality where the Dallas Cowboys did not exist, and where there was the political will to ignore things that actually improve quality of life, and build a multi-billion white elephant of a stadium instead.

Spurtacular
08-24-2017, 05:03 PM
San Antonio easily is large enough and wealthy enough in 2017 to support an NFL team in an alternate reality where the Dallas Cowboys did not exist, and where there was the political will to ignore things that actually improve quality of life, and build a multi-billion white elephant of a stadium instead.

Makes me wonder how many palms Jerry Jones has greased to keep his monopoly in tact.

rastaspur
08-24-2017, 09:22 PM
Why does a hooker's vagina smell?

Blake
08-25-2017, 11:18 AM
Would you rather a bunch of laker, warrior fans running around.

No. Great slippery slope thinking on your part tho.

Blake
08-25-2017, 11:19 AM
Makes me wonder how many palms Jerry Jones has greased to keep his monopoly in tact.

Probably 0

Blake
08-25-2017, 11:20 AM

Yeah I saw him around town a few times. Last I saw him was a bar on thousand oaks.....forgot name but it burned and moved location I think

Blake
08-25-2017, 11:23 AM
I guarantee you if SA had a football team everyone in SA and south of SA, which gives you another million would become an SA fan.

If those fans TV's are already turned on to the Cowboys or Texans.....and I believe they are. ....there's no incentive for the NFL to add SA.

Blake
08-25-2017, 11:25 AM

Why'd you open this thread

Spurtacular
08-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Probably 0

The number of worthwhile posts you've made in the last month on this screen name?

gambit1990
08-25-2017, 12:17 PM
because it's sa.

Blake
08-25-2017, 12:34 PM
The number of worthwhile posts you've made in the last month on this screen name?

Lol edited.

Spurtacular
08-25-2017, 12:56 PM
Lol edited.

So, this is your really lazy sn, chump. Got it.

TheDoctor
08-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Why does a hooker's vagina smell?
Because fishy job.

Blake
08-25-2017, 02:18 PM
So, this is your really lazy sn, chump. Got it.

No effort to make fun of you. Clear path layups tbh

Spurtacular
08-25-2017, 02:27 PM
No effort to make fun of you. Clear path layups tbh

You have clear tells, chump. The fact that you have to log into another name to try and boost your loosing efforts :lmao

mookie2001
08-25-2017, 02:40 PM
Will someone break-down this metro area population vs city population? It's never been explained before on Spurstalk.

Blake
08-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Will someone break-down this metro area population vs city population? It's never been explained before on Spurstalk.

You mean city size vs media market size?

You know how Dallas has a lot of cities around it, ie..Plano, Mesquite, Garland, Arlington, Irving, etc etc?

Blake
08-25-2017, 02:50 PM
You have clear tells, chump. The fact that you have to log into another name to try and boost your loosing efforts :lmao

You super sleuth you.

philldafunk
08-25-2017, 10:24 PM
Maybe with a decade and a few more strip malls, we could be looking at an Austin/S.A metroplex. That could possibly help bring in another, possibly more sport teams.

TheWriter
08-28-2017, 04:51 AM
You mean city size vs media market size?

You know how Dallas has a lot of cities around it, ie..Plano, Mesquite, Garland, Arlington, Irving, etc etc?

No dumbshit.

He's talking about city vs metro population. The exact thing you described except you stupidly used city size and market size like a dipshit fucking inbred peckerhead.

Blake
08-28-2017, 03:50 PM
No dumbshit.

He's talking about city vs metro population. The exact thing you described except you stupidly used city size and market size like a dipshit fucking inbred peckerhead.

Nobody has ever discussed city size vs metro size. It's always city or metro size vs media market size.

I'm just asking a question to clarify exactly what he's asking since anyone with a Google can look it up in 5 seconds.

On a sidebar you sound like a very non-miserable person in real life. Like life is really good for you. Like you're not working at Target and not angry posting on your 10 minute break from hanging dresses in the plus size section.

dabom
08-28-2017, 04:05 PM
No dumbshit.

:lol

SpursforSix
08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Look what happens when you have 3 major sports teams.