PDA

View Full Version : The 2017 Sandwich Shop thread

SpursforSix
08-18-2017, 01:14 PM
So many choices now. What's your favorite? Talking about the chains here. Cue Avante bringing up Blind Eyed Willie's feed and seed store just off Main.

Subway : It is what it is. Cheap price but you know what you're getting. I never walk away thinking I had a great meal or walk away thinking I just ate shit. It's the epitome of average.
WhichWich : Good ingredients and plenty of choices. I like being able to add pesto or humus to a sandwich. However, I hate fucking around with having to check the boxes on a bag.
Firehouse Subs : Fresh sandwiches. Not too many choices. But they have about 20-25 choices of hot sauce to put on the sandwich.
Jimmy Johns : I know people that love this shit. I'm just kind of blah on it. Think there is only one choice of bread.
Schlotzkey's : Different than most on the list. Used to love them but they are pretty inconsistent from store to store. Had some burnt bread before. Also getting harder and harder to find.
ThunderCloud : never been
Jersey Mikes : never been
PotBelly : never been

DisAsTerBot
08-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Thundercloud ftw

SpursforSix
08-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Thundercloud ftw

Really? Why?

SpursforSix
08-18-2017, 02:10 PM
"Thunder Cloud" makes me think of a fart. So they need a good product to overcome that association.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-18-2017, 02:42 PM
McAllister's is popular up here, but it sucks. The bread is awful.

Really save money and buy your deli meat at Walmart/HEB/Kroger and make your own sandwiches for a fraction of the cost.

SpursforSix
08-18-2017, 02:52 PM
McAllister's is popular up here, but it sucks. The bread is awful.

Really save money and buy your deli meat at Walmart/HEB/Kroger and make your own sandwiches for a fraction of the cost.

McAllister's isn't in this discussion dumbass.

Chucho
08-18-2017, 04:09 PM
Haven't been back home in 4 years, and Schlotzky's is the best on the list, great bread, good meats, fast service. But nothing beats Capparelli's meatball sammich.

phxspurfan
08-18-2017, 04:10 PM
Firehouse Subs, if youve got it, is a great place

BD24
08-18-2017, 09:41 PM
Jersey mikes is the shit for hot sandwhiches.

for cold sandwhichws Jimmy johns is my go to.

Avante
08-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Fuck the chains, ya want the best food ya hit a small town family owned restaurant, one that has been in the family since Johnny U was QBing the Colts. Ya see if they sucked they couldn't have lasted that long.

Rookies, sheesh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SpursforSix
08-19-2017, 01:06 AM
Fuck the chains, ya want the best food ya hit a small town family owned restaurant, one that has been in the family since Johnny U was QBing the Colts. Ya see if they sucked they couldn't have lasted that long.

Rookies, sheesh~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll just keep banging your mom and stick with the chains thank you very much.

Xevious
08-19-2017, 02:06 AM
I'll just keep banging your mom and stick with the chains thank you very much.
His mom would have to be like 120 years old by now. Fucking gross.

SpursforSix
08-19-2017, 07:00 AM
His mom would have to be like 120 years old by now. Fucking gross.

She's not a day over 90. The fucks wrong with you.
Haven't you heard they saying, "if the pubes are grey, she's ready to play"?

Chucho
08-19-2017, 09:19 AM
There's this hole in the wall joint here in the Valley called La Saigon Sandwich, it's an Asian place that dresses it's sammiches with their homemade slant eye slaw, and each sammich is fair sized and only tree fiddy, it's a fucking blesing.

Trill Clinton
08-19-2017, 11:43 AM
pot belly or jimmy johns when i'm in the mood for a sammich

Kyle Orton
08-19-2017, 11:48 AM
pot belly or jimmy johns when i'm in the mood for a sammich

But it's rare you stray away from Church's tbh

Trill Clinton
08-19-2017, 11:51 AM
But it's rare you stray away from Church's tbh

i ate church's when i was broke. popeyes ftw win nowhttp://www.thecoli.com/media/blessed-money.3630/full

Blake
08-19-2017, 02:12 PM
Shlotzkys is the best when they get it right on the sourdough bread.

Quiznos is noticeably absent. Seems like it's disappearing from existence. No loss imo.

SpursforSix
08-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Shlotzkys is the best when they get it right on the sourdough bread.

Quiznos is noticeably absent. Seems like it's disappearing from existence. No loss imo.

I forgot about Quiznos. I liked them when they came out. But haven't been in about 10 years. I don't see them anywhere.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-19-2017, 10:59 PM
I forgot about Quiznos. I liked them when they came out. But haven't been in about 10 years. I don't see them anywhere.

According to Wikipedia, Quizno's is still #2 in sales behind Subway

Capt Bringdown
08-20-2017, 12:28 AM
Mamma mia sandwich at Palleta's. Unfortunately they're out-of-business. What a place.

SpursforSix
08-20-2017, 02:57 AM

That's nuts. I don't think I ever pass one.

SpursforSix
08-20-2017, 03:05 AM

Yeah...I don't think that shit is right.

SpursforSix
08-20-2017, 03:17 AM

You just made me waste 5 minutes to find out something I already knew. Instead of not fucking your aunt, tell your mom to quit fucking her brother.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-20-2017, 03:29 AM
The thing that's doing chains like Quiznos and Schlotzky's in is their tone-deafness towards the vast majority of the American fast food consumer base, which is extremely price elastic and rates price-to-product value above all other factors... neither are known for their low cost or low-price promotions. Their commercials are all about exquisite taste but they rarely advertise prices, and people going into the store to find out the advertised sub is $11.99 really drives customers away in droves.

Whereas Subway can be expensive, but everyone will always remember ads such as the "Five Dollar Footlong" campaigns from 2008-2013, so Subway is subliminally considered a good price value in the minds of so many, whether this is true or not.

SpursforSix
08-20-2017, 03:51 AM
The thing that's doing chains like Quiznos and Schlotzky's in is their tone-deafness towards the vast majority of the American fast food consumer base, which is extremely price elastic and rates price-to-product value above all other factors... neither are known for their low cost or low-price promotions. Their commercials are all about exquisite taste but they rarely advertise prices, and people going into the store to find out the advertised sub is $11.99 really drives customers away in droves.

Whereas Subway can be expensive, but everyone will always remember ads such as the "Five Dollar Footlong" campaigns from 2008-2013, so Subway is subliminally considered a good price value in the minds of so many, whether this is true or not.

Solid take. Subway has cornered that low end market. They are fucking everywhere. And they're still the cheapest.

What's funny is that they charge $2 more for a salad with the same ingredients as the comparable sandwich. And they try to put the same amount of ingredients in it. That being said, I've never had a Subway person tell me "no" when I've asked for more lettuce or whatever.

SpursforSix
08-20-2017, 03:54 AM
And all these places still rape you on the drinks. I would hate to have a large family and have to shell out $10 for 25 cents worth of drinks.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-20-2017, 04:02 AM
And all these places still rape you on the drinks. I would hate to have a large family and have to shell out $10 for 25 cents worth of drinks.
Yep. The syrup is incredibly cheap. That's the bulk of the profit margins right there

SpursforSix
08-20-2017, 04:09 AM
Yep. The syrup is incredibly cheap. That's the bulk of the profit margins right there

And what about the tea? Holy shit.

Xevious
08-20-2017, 04:10 AM
Yeah, I never buy drinks if I'm picking something up for the family. Traditional restaurants are even worse...3 bucks for a glass of fucking tea.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-20-2017, 12:11 PM
Yeah, I never buy drinks if I'm picking something up for the family. Traditional restaurants are even worse...3 bucks for a glass of fucking tea.

At restaurants you should just get water. If you can't get down plain city water, then order it without ice and a couple lemons and use the table sugar at the edge of the table to your advantage.

florige
08-20-2017, 07:50 PM

I actually had a taste for them Friday and got a sub. I hadn't been there in so long I forgot what they had. For some reason Quizno's was sorta forgot about. I guess since Subway started giving toast the roll option, and adding few more hot subs Quizno's became a afterthought being as though hot sandwiches and the fact they toasted the roll was their thing that made them stand out.

baseline bum
08-20-2017, 09:53 PM
I actually had a taste for them Friday and got a sub. I hadn't been there in so long I forgot what they had. For some reason Quizno's was sorta forgot about. I guess since Subway started giving toast the roll option, and adding few more hot subs Quizno's became a afterthought being as though hot sandwiches and the fact they toasted the roll was their thing that made them stand out.

Damn I thought that chain went under years ago. Speaking of dying sandwich chains, I was surprised to hear Blimpie is still alive too. I used to love that shit back in the 90s when Subway was crap.

Chucho
08-20-2017, 10:06 PM
^^ Blimpies used to have some really good tuna.

UNT Eagles 2016
08-21-2017, 01:09 AM
tuna, eww

florige
08-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Damn I thought that chain went under years ago. Speaking of dying sandwich chains, I was surprised to hear Blimpie is still alive too. I used to love that shit back in the 90s when Subway was crap.

I guess they racked in so much money when they first hit the scene it covers for them now that they aren't as popular. Everybody I talk to seems to have forgot about Quizno's including me. We only have one Blimpie here in MD that I know of.

florige
08-21-2017, 07:03 AM
^^ Blimpies used to have some really good tuna.

Wawa also has good Tuna subs. Subway uses that dark meat Tuna which is gross.

Big Empty
08-22-2017, 08:26 AM
1. Quiznos
2. Jimmy Johns (for cold cuts only)
3. Subway (average but many decent choices)