1. Zone defenses are not allowed --> detracts from defense
2. 3-to-make-2 free throws --> thwarts comebacks
3. Bad shot selection
4. One-on-one play
5. 3-point shots --> further encourages bad shot selection
6. 24-second clock --> encourages bad shot selection and one-on-one play
7. No necessity for coaching, therefore there is none -- it's sandlot bball
8. Refs don't call charging --> discourages good defense
9. Refs don't call traveling (better this year I've heard)
--> allows for dunks from mid-court
10. 20-second timeouts --> to easy to get out of trap situations
11. too many playoff teams --> who cares about the regular season anymore

Of these, none were even thought of in the college ranks until a few years
back. Now, suddenly, they've adopted #11, a version of #6, and are thinking
of #5. The rest I feel have been reasonably avoided so far. Let's hope
college basketball doesn't sink into the muck that the NBA has, because it
sure looks like they're trying to emulate the NBA as hard as they can.

Just like today's NBA, tbh.

DMC
08-20-2017, 10:58 PM
Bad shot selection is a subjective term. The definition of "bad shot selection" has changed significantly. The 3 is quite often a good shot selection, based purely on the math. What was considered good in the 80's was post play and shots at the rim. Today it's the 3 ball from an open shooter, from ball movement and collapsing the defense. Shooters are better, but you simply cannot beat a great 3pt shooting team with stellar post play.

Mitch
08-20-2017, 11:34 PM
These guys sound like today's GNSF, tbh

Spurtacular
08-20-2017, 11:55 PM
2. 3-to-make-2 free throws --> thwarts comebacks

I think they got rid of this rule circa 82. But I was watching a video about how it was adopted cos Wilt sucked at FTs and they wanted to keep him in games late. Pretty sad. Much like the hack a shaq rules.

ViceCity86
08-23-2017, 05:45 AM
:lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3hl51s/shit_nba_fans_said_in_the_1980s/

Very cool thread.

Phenomanul
08-24-2017, 09:51 AM
Internet forums in the 80's? ummmmm maybe their timing is off... not that many civilian peeps had access to the internet in the 80's.

Spurtacular
08-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Internet forums in the 80's? ummmmm maybe their timing is off... not that many civilian peeps had access to the internet in the 80's.

Did any besides maybe some IT guys? I thought it was rolled out circa 91.

dfens
08-24-2017, 03:40 PM
I'll give you a nice one from around '94 (not sure of the year) when I got constant internet the first time ... you said anything bad about jordan and :lmao, literally wrote once that I read in a german paper that jordan might've had a gambling addiction and people called me mad because magic got aids :lmao, said that jordan speaks too good on tv to not be a perfect american :lmao and that he's the type of guy to take care of his family:lmao

Believe me when I say it, kobe stans are nothing compared to jordan stans after the 1st 3peat, these losers were brainwashed completely :lol

Phenomanul
08-24-2017, 04:28 PM
Most Americans didn't have dial-up services til about 1991-93. It blossomed in 1994-95 when AOL burst through the scene...

Quadzilla99
08-27-2017, 05:12 AM
:lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/3hl51s/shit_nba_fans_said_in_the_1980s/
Haha good finds there. Dang that guy dug some shit up

Phillip
08-29-2017, 01:02 PM
I'll give you a nice one from around '94 (not sure of the year) when I got constant internet the first time ... you said anything bad about jordan and :lmao, literally wrote once that I read in a german paper that jordan might've had a gambling addiction and people called me mad because magic got aids :lmao, said that jordan speaks too good on tv to not be a perfect american :lmao and that he's the type of guy to take care of his family:lmao

Believe me when I say it, kobe stans are nothing compared to jordan stans after the 1st 3peat, these losers were brainwashed completely :lol

actually, that sounds 100% like kobestans over the years. as obnoxious as jordanstans are, the only reason its far less tolerable from kobestans is because kobe never earned it nearly to the degree that jordan has. and if you want to throw lebron in there like every kobestan wants to, its even worse because its pretty much undeniable by any reasonable fan that lebron has already earned a greater place in history than kobe. its arguable that there might not be a more butthurt fanbase in sports history than kobestans. and this is coming from a big kobe fan.