PDA

View Full Version : Best PF of alltime: Duncan or Malone

Big Empty
08-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Been seeing this come up a lot lately on social media. The Duncan Vs Malone debate as the best PF of all time. Obviously you have to give Duncan the edge since he has 5 chips compared to Mal0ne's 0. What are your thoughts?

Silver&Black
08-21-2017, 04:15 PM
5>0

Phenomanul
08-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Not only does Duncan best him with the 5 ring argument, but it can be argued that Tim was instrumental to all 5 - championships which were spread out over a 15 year period (which is a much more difficult feat).

sananspursfan21
08-21-2017, 04:37 PM
One of the major arguments for Malone being better individually is that Duncan had Pop behind him as the coach. While Pop is definitely the better coach, Sloan was pretty great himself. Don't shoot the messenger here, but that's a big reason for the disagreement. Pop's legacy as a coach hurts any argument of a Spur's greatness in the eyes of the common NBA fan. Pretty flawed logic, but it's truly why such an idiotic argument as this is pretty heated on Facebook, social media, message boards, and barber shop conversations.

Joseph Kony
08-21-2017, 04:42 PM
They have the same MVPs. But Duncan has 5x rings, 3x FMVPs, crushes Malone in all-defense selections, more All-NBA selections, more ASG selections, and completely demolishes Malone in the postseason. This isnt even a debate lol

baseline bum
08-21-2017, 04:44 PM
I guess if we're talking raping kids and being a deadbeat dad Malone wins, but otherwise Duncan smokes him in every way.

Brazil
08-21-2017, 05:02 PM
There is a debate ?

:lmao

hooperflash
08-21-2017, 05:03 PM
Duncan

dbreiden83080
08-21-2017, 05:07 PM
He played with one of the great PG's of all time his whole prime. How did Malone only get to 2 NBA finals? And it was at the very end of his prime.

Silver&Black
08-21-2017, 05:20 PM
There is a debate ?

:lmao

We need STdalamon in here to confirm or deny.

baseline bum
08-21-2017, 05:28 PM
He played with one of the great PG's of all time his whole prime. How did Malone only get to 2 NBA finals? And it was at the very end of his prime.

He was in three. That epic fail against Detroit in 04 ensures Malone can't use the Jordan excuse either.

ElNono
08-21-2017, 05:30 PM
This shit needs to be in the NBA Forum, for trolling material, IMO, FWIW

UZER
08-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Is this real life? Who the hell is debating this?

Canyonero
08-21-2017, 05:48 PM
Scola

gospursgojas
08-21-2017, 05:53 PM
In terms of NBA career or being a dirty play, scumbag pedophile, deadbeat dad?

Mr. Body
08-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Malone was one of the least clutch motherfuckers ever. You literally saw his ass clench at the end of big games. Stockton was the big game player.

RD2191
08-21-2017, 07:29 PM
I guess if we're talking raping kids and being a deadbeat dad Malone wins, but otherwise Duncan smokes him in every way.

Down Under
08-21-2017, 08:07 PM
For the first 8 seasons or so, you could just dump the ball to Duncan in the post and as long as there are shooters around him, it would be either a layup or foul everytime or kick the ball out when doubled - much like Shaq in hsi prime. He could carry you all the way to the title by himself while being as good as any defensive player in the league at the other end. There's no way Malone could do this.

Down Under
08-21-2017, 08:11 PM
Combined with the fact that as soon as the league starting changing rules to discourage the post game in the mid 2000s, from 2007 he was willing to become a pick n roll big with TP/Gino despite being one of the top 3 players in the league at that time because he knew it would make them better as a team. Everything he did (including the way he willing to change his game twice) was to make the team better and I don't think you could say that about any of the other Top 10 players in history.

Mister Sinister
08-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Gr8 b8 m8

Spurtacular
08-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Kevin McHale belongs in the discussion as far as I'm concerned; at least if we're just looking at prime vs. prime.

Spurtacular
08-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Not only does Duncan best him with the 5 ring argument, but it can be argued that Tim was instrumental to all 5 - championships which were spread out over a 15 year period (which is a much more difficult feat).

Stockton and Malone would've rang in the 00's, imo.

John B
08-21-2017, 10:11 PM
One of the major arguments for Malone being better individually is that Duncan had Pop behind him as the coach. While Pop is definitely the better coach, Sloan was pretty great himself. Don't shoot the messenger here, but that's a big reason for the disagreement. Pop's legacy as a coach hurts any argument of a Spur's greatness in the eyes of the common NBA fan. Pretty flawed logic, but it's truly why such an idiotic argument as this is pretty heated on Facebook, social media, message boards, and barber shop conversations.

Or the other way around. I know Parker and Ginobili's career got better in Pop's system, but Duncan could have averaged more points, more rebounds, more block shots, playing hero-ball in some other teams. Or imagine if Duncan chose to play instead in Orlando with Grant Hill and McGrady? That would have been a dynasty. I think anywhere Duncan played, he would be a great player. Paired with another all-NBA? He could've been top 5 all-time.

Spurtacular
08-21-2017, 10:20 PM
Or the other way around. I know Parker and Ginobili's career got better in Pop's system, but Duncan could have averaged more points, more rebounds, more block shots, playing hero-ball in some other teams. Or imagine if Duncan chose to play instead in Orlando with Grant Hill and McGrady? That would have been a dynasty. I think anywhere Duncan played, he would be a great player. Paired with another all-NBA? He could've been top 5 all-time.

Duncan is top 5 all-time, or at least the consensus "best PF of all-time." Perhaps, he'd be considered even higher though, so I don't want to say you don't have a valid point. In 03 Gm 6 vs the Nets when he was quadruple doubling, that was definitely what he could do more often than he did; but I don't know how consistently he could play at that level.

peacemaker885
08-21-2017, 10:24 PM
Duncan is top 10 all time player.

Ice009
08-21-2017, 10:35 PM
They have the same MVPs. But Duncan has 5x rings, 3x FMVPs, crushes Malone in all-defense selections, more All-NBA selections, more ASG selections, and completely demolishes Malone in the postseason. This isnt even a debate lol

One of those MVPs belongs to Tim. In 1999 Tim was the best player and he dominated Malone in their head to head matchups. The Spurs also finished with the same record. I still have no idea how Malone got that one over Tim. And Tim is a top 5 player of all-time, so yeah, he's clearly above Malone in any ranking.

skulls138
08-21-2017, 10:43 PM
Duncan is top 10 all time player.What a load. Hes easily that but much more. Hes better than Lebron I guaran-goddamn-tee that!!!

Arcadian
08-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Karl Malone is overrated. He's not even the 2nd or 3rd best PF - those are Garnett and Nowitzki. One could even make a case for Barkley, Pettit, and McHale over Malone.

Phenomanul
08-21-2017, 11:37 PM
Duncan played the defensive end of the floor his whole career, and anchored one of the best historically great defensive units to ever hit the hardwood.

Fireball
08-22-2017, 12:55 AM
there is only a debate because Duncan played center for many years ... ask who was the better player and its no debate at all

YGWHI
08-22-2017, 02:26 AM
Sadly, I've seen more people forgetting how dominant Tim was.

I used to like this Canadian NBA writer on Twitter, he always said good stuff about Spurs but after his Shaq>Tim I unfollowed him...Also unfollowed 2 Falcons fans who had the same answer about top 3 players.

BG_Spurs_Fan
08-22-2017, 04:51 AM
Is it 2002?

Galileo
08-22-2017, 10:22 AM
What about Elvin Hayes?

ambchang
08-22-2017, 12:24 PM
1) Duncan

2) Nowitzki
3) Barkley
4) Garnett
5) Malone

6) McHale

BSfromTX
08-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Malone had two things going for him...

longevity and scoring

duncan matched longevity, and as for scoring, Stockton and even hornacek fed him with a silver spoon. He got so many open looks. His idea of defense was hacking. I would take Barkley and Michael over Malone any day... Garnett and nowitzki played more like small forwards. Barkley could post up, shoot the three, rebound, and pass

dbreiden83080
08-22-2017, 04:15 PM
He was in three. That epic fail against Detroit in 04 ensures Malone can't use the Jordan excuse either.

Didn't even really play in those finals. And I can't count a bandwagon final.

baseline bum
08-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Didn't even really play in those finals. And I can't count a bandwagon final.

He played in four of the five games before quitting when the series became unwinnable. It was a fitting end to the career of such a chickenshit.

Galileo
08-22-2017, 05:53 PM
1) Duncan

2) Nowitzki
3) Barkley
4) Garnett
5) Malone

6) McHale

Elvin Hayes and Duncan are the only classic scorer/rebounder/shot blocker power forwards of all time.

Spurtacular
08-22-2017, 08:43 PM
One of those MVPs belongs to Tim. In 1999 Tim was the best player and he dominated Malone in their head to head matchups. The Spurs also finished with the same record. I still have no idea how Malone got that one over Tim. And Tim is a top 5 player of all-time, so yeah, he's clearly above Malone in any ranking.

Media didn't want to reward a second-year player in a strike shortened season. Sound logical? Maybe not; but that's how these elites operate.

Spurtacular
08-22-2017, 08:44 PM
1) Duncan

2) Nowitzki
3) Barkley
4) Garnett
5) Malone

6) McHale

Of your 2 through 5, Malone is the only one I'd put in McHale's stratosphere.

Horse
08-23-2017, 12:27 PM

"Could be argued" He was instrumental without question. Even '14 he was probably the best Spur the first 2 games.

Blake
08-23-2017, 12:30 PM
This thread blows

Buddy Mignon
08-23-2017, 06:22 PM
Sadly, I've seen more people forgetting how dominant Tim was.

I used to like this Canadian NBA writer on Twitter, he always said good stuff about Spurs but after his Shaq>Tim I unfollowed him...Also unfollowed 2 Falcons fans who had the same answer about top 3 players.

What a bleeding pussy you are.

Buddy Mignon
08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Barley was better than them all.

Thomas82
08-23-2017, 10:03 PM
"Could be argued" He was instrumental without question. Even '14 he was probably the best Spur the first 2 games.

+1

Spurtacular
08-23-2017, 10:17 PM
Barkley was better than them all.

He could've been a true top ten player if he had done the work; same with Shaq.

Phenomanul
08-23-2017, 10:54 PM

+1

Meant to say that it can't be argued that he wasn't instrumental...

rastaspur
08-24-2017, 09:26 PM
Stupid debate.

That's like a child in a sandbox debating whether to play with the cat shit in the sand or the toy in sight.

BSfromTX
08-24-2017, 11:18 PM
Stupid debate.

That's like a child in a sandbox debating whether to play with the cat shit in the sand or the toy in sight.

spurstalk forum in a nutshell

Thomas82
08-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Meant to say that it can't be argued that he wasn't instrumental...

It's cool.....I kinda figured that.

Arcadian
08-29-2017, 01:03 AM
1) Duncan

2) Nowitzki
3) Barkley
4) Garnett
5) Malone

6) McHale

I think Pettit should always be included in this discussion because he was the most dominant player in the NBA before Russell and Chamberlain.

cd021
08-29-2017, 01:38 PM
there is only a debate because Duncan played center for many years ... ask who was the better player and its no debate at all

As far as I am concerned he played Center the final 13 seasons of his career.

cd021
08-29-2017, 01:42 PM
1) Duncan

2) Nowitzki
3) Barkley
4) Garnett
5) Malone

6) McHale

I'd switch KG with Barkley tbh, Dirk and KG are probably neck and neck but after watching Dirk in 06 and 2011 he is probably the second greatest PF ever.

cd021
08-29-2017, 01:45 PM

Shouldn't matter but it does; him having sex with a 14 year old, getting her pregnant with twins and then peace-outing is a legendary dick move and outside of Utah a felony. Also had a kid that made it to the NFL and refused to be in his life.

baseline bum
08-29-2017, 02:20 PM
Shouldn't matter but it does; him having sex with a 14 year old, getting her pregnant with twins and then peace-outing is a legendary dick move and outside of Utah a felony. Also had a kid that made it to the NFL and refused to be in his life.

She was 12

SpursforSix
08-29-2017, 02:36 PM
She was 12

13 I think.

SpursforSix
08-29-2017, 02:39 PM
She was 12

although to be fair, they might have started making out when she was 12

mo7888
08-29-2017, 04:09 PM

Kevin McHale belongs in the discussion as far as I'm concerned; at least if we're just looking at prime vs. prime.
I'd put McHale #2 behind Duncan but ahead of Malone.

rastaspur
08-29-2017, 04:17 PM

If only the mailman were south american or mexican Then it wouldn't be a big deal.

Had a distant cousin come back from south America and admitted to banging a 14 year old. I won't even talk to the guy anymore. Creep. The "when in rome" argument doesn't hold up when talking about sex with kids.

cd021
08-30-2017, 03:07 PM
She was 12

13 I think.

She was 13, I remembered it wrong, so it was statutory rape, even in Utah.

cd021
08-30-2017, 03:11 PM
If only the mailman were south american or mexican Then it wouldn't be a big deal.

Had a distant cousin come back from south America and admitted to banging a 14 year old. I won't even talk to the guy anymore. Creep. The "when in rome" argument doesn't hold up when talking about sex with kids.

Pretty amazing that he hasn't been completely vilified for impregnating and a 13 year old and then refusing to take responsibility tbh.

rastaspur
08-30-2017, 04:19 PM
Pretty amazing that he hasn't been completely vilified for impregnating and a 13 year old and then refusing to take responsibility tbh.

Exactly. It's the main reason I hate the guy.

Malone is at the top of my greatest P.O.S. nba player's of all time list. Others making the list are javares Crittenden and others.

SpursforSix
08-30-2017, 04:25 PM

Malone is at the top of my greatest P.O.S. nba player's of all time list. Others making the list are javares Crittenden and others.

I forgot who that was tbh. Here's the account of his less lethal gun incident. I thought it was just him and Arenas goofing around but Caron Butler's account is crazy.

It was one of the most unbelievable, mind-boggling sports stories of the 21st century; yet, six years later it’s been largely forgotten, even in the Washington, D.C. area that was captivated by it at the end of the last decade. Now, former Washington Wizards star Caron Butler is sharing his memories of the bizarre gun showdown between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton that left both suspended for the rest of the 2009-2010 season and essentially ended what had been a promising basketball turnaround in Washington.

In the excerpt, Butler discusses the airplane card game that led to the initial beef — it was all over $1,100 — and the chilling exchange between the two players when they went their separate ways after landing in Washington. “I play with guns,” said Arenas. “I play with guns too,” countered Crittenton.
Crittenton. (AP)

The rest is from Butler’s (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/10/07/i-play-with-guns-caron-butlers-inside-account-of-the-gilbert-arenas-gun-incident/)Tuff Juice: My Journey from the Streets to the NBA (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/10/07/i-play-with-guns-caron-butlers-inside-account-of-the-gilbert-arenas-gun-incident/) (available now), as excerpted in The Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2015/10/07/i-play-with-guns-caron-butlers-inside-account-of-the-gilbert-arenas-gun-incident/):

We had the next day off, but on the following day, December 21, practice started at ten o’clock at the Verizon Center so we all wandered in a little earlier.
When I entered the locker room, I thought I had somehow been transported back to my days on the streets of Racine. Gilbert was standing in front of his two locker stalls, the ones previously used by Michael Jordan, with four guns on display. Javaris was standing in front of his own stall, his back to Gilbert.
“Hey, MF, come pick one,” Gilbert told Javaris while pointing to the weapons. “I’m going to shoot your [expletive] with one of these.”
(USA TODAY Sports Images)

“Oh no, you don’t need to shoot me with one of those,” said Javaris, turning around slowly like a gunslinger in the Old West. “I’ve got one right here.”
He pulled out his own gun, already loaded, cocked it, and pointed it at Gilbert.
Other players who had been casually arriving, laughing and joking with each other, came to a sudden halt, their eyes bugging out. It took them only a few seconds to realize this was for real, a shootaround of a whole different nature. They all looked at each other and then they ran, the last man out locking the door behind him.
I didn’t panic because I’d been through far worse, heard gunshots more times than I could count, and seen it all before. This would have been just another day on the south side.
I talked calmly to Javaris, reminding him that his entire career, not to mention, perhaps, his life, would be over if he flicked that trigger finger.
(AP)

I looked back at Gilbert. He was silent as he removed himself from the scene.
Javaris slowly lowered the gun.

I know that Gilbert was thinking, “I went too far. I had a gun pointed at me and it was loaded.”
Somebody outside the locker room called 911. Flip Saunders was the coach back then, but he was too scared to even come into the locker room.

Arenas would be charged with gun possession (http://%22Every%20day,%20I%20wake%20up%20wishing%20it%20d id%20not%20happen.%22) and served 30 days in a halfway house. He would be gone within the year and was out of the NBA two seasons later, yet was still the 33rd highest-paid player in the world in 2014 thanks to his (almost) max contract from 2008. As Butler inferred, it was largely assumed at the time that Arenas was making a bad (truly bad) joke by bringing in the guns, something seemingly confirmed by his unbelievably tone-deaf decision to point finger guns in the air during a home introduction after the incident. (That was almost immediately followed by an original “indefinite” suspension.) Gilbert may have played with guns, but he was no gangster.
Sadly, Crittenton allegedly was.
The former Georgia Tech star, who was 21 at the time of the incident, never played again in the NBA. He is now serving a 23-year prison sentence for a gang-land shooting gone wrong. The self-admitted Crip missed his target and shot a mother of four (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/javaris-crittenton-ex-nba-player-pleads-guilty-killing-article-1.2204067), according to prosecutors.

rastaspur
08-30-2017, 04:32 PM
I forgot who that was tbh. Here's the account of his less lethal gun incident. I thought it was just him and Arenas goofing around but Caron Butler's account is crazy.

Javaris was bat shit crazy. I've seen a special about the murder he committed. He should top the list as the biggest piece of shit but the Malone elbow to d rob has my list biased a bit.

Phenomanul
08-31-2017, 02:25 PM

TBH I don't understand why Malone isn't serving a prison sentence for that crime.

Thomas82
09-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Duncan played the defensive end of the floor his whole career, and anchored one of the best historically great defensive units to ever hit the hardwood.

Yes, the 1999 team has the NBA record (.4016) for lowest opponent field goal percentage for a season.

Spurtacular
09-24-2017, 06:07 AM

All the racists loved to say Stockton was the dirtiest player in the league. He wasn't even the dirtiest player on his own team. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIiY0LwMzA

shaq_h8ter
09-24-2017, 08:04 AM
Karl Malone is a classless piece of shit and shouldn't be compared to Tim or David.
He's lucky he got away with elbowing, without any noticable perminate injury to his victims.
Now if you want to start a thread how about, "Who is the Bigger Human Turd, Zaza or Karl?

Spurtacular
09-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Karl Malone is a classless piece of shit and shouldn't be compared to Tim or David.
He's lucky he got away with elbowing, without any noticable perminate injury to his victims.
Now if you want to start a thread how about, "Who is the Bigger Human Turd, Zaza or Karl?

ZaZa; and it ain't close.

lefty
09-24-2017, 08:12 AM
Bruce Bowen was dirty too.

lefty
09-24-2017, 08:16 AM
Malone wins the playoffs match-up tbh

tholdren
09-24-2017, 08:07 PM
John stockton was better than isiah thomas, both of them

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Malone wins the playoffs match-up tbh

With who? Tim? :lol Did you watch young Tim destroy Malone?

This thread shouldn't even exist.

Chinook
09-25-2017, 02:13 PM
Best at what, schtooping minors?