PDA

View Full Version : Lamarcus Speaks Sort Of

fusionjazzman72
08-28-2017, 02:36 PM
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/44661e8a-3789-3415-bd21-2e1cc86e57d6/ss_lamarcus-aldridge-has-a.html

dabom
08-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Yahoo article to a ptr article to an Instagram pic..

SpursforSix
08-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Lamarcus does lots of things "sort of".

BatManu20
08-28-2017, 03:05 PM
Posted in the Offseason Thread already but yea. Don't mind it tbh.

fusionjazzman72
08-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Yeah he posts up very well against midgets?

Chinook
08-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Dude's definitely gone... at some point.

Darius Bieber
08-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Dude has basically turned into Richard Jefferson 2.0. He expected to be the main guy here when he signed, but nobody suspected the MVP emergence of Kawhi Leonard so he's stuck in the background and has not established (or is willing to establish) that role. Just look at his body language. Dude's always at the end of the bench by himself when he's not in the game.

dabom
08-28-2017, 04:48 PM
RJ was a negative player. LMA is a top 2 player on the team. Come on guys...

And he already knew this was Kawhi's team before joining.

TD 21
08-28-2017, 05:15 PM
No matter how much both sides would prefer to rid themselves of the other, they both still have plenty of incentive to make this work . . .

Aldridge: If he wants to repair his reputation, the way to do it, is on an elite team; not some irrelevant one like the Mavericks, where he can boost his counting stats.

Spurs: If they want to remain an elite team and not further diminish their standing with top free agents, they need closer to the fully realized version of him; not some lesser replacement like Favors.

Considering that, the volatility of the league and how moody he is (before what became final season as Trail Blazer, he talked about wanting to be one for life and being remembered as the GOAT in franchise history), I don't think it's a lock that this is his final season as a Spur.

Chinook
08-28-2017, 05:21 PM

How can you be the voice of reason? It would be like if Trump got in a fighter jet and saved us all from aliens.

BillMc
08-28-2017, 05:27 PM
No matter how much both sides would prefer to rid themselves of the other, they both still have plenty of incentive to make this work . . .

Aldridge: If he wants to repair his reputation, the way to do it, is on an elite team; not some irrelevant one like the Mavericks, where he can boost his counting stats.

Spurs: If they want to remain an elite team and not further diminish their standing with top free agents, they need closer to the fully realized version of him; not some lesser replacement like Favors.

Considering that, the volatility of the league and how moody he is (before what became final season as Trail Blazer, he talked about wanting to be one for life and being remembered as the GOAT in franchise history), I don't think it's a lock that this is his final season as a Spur.

Well said

Dex
08-28-2017, 05:42 PM
Sensational journalism is sensational. Reports of his discontent were likely blown up for clicks and views. Even this article is reaching real hard to read too much into an Instagram post from a week ago.

The truth is...we will probably never know what happened behind closed doors between LMA and the PATFO. He was the obvious choice to be dangled in FA/trade talks concerning guys like Chris Paul and Kyrie...they sure as hell weren't moving Kawhi and anything else wasn't going to buy you more than a bag of chips.

I expect LMA to show up to training camp ready to play, and I expect him to still be on the roster come playoff time when all is said and done. What happens from there depends largely on how well he performs this season, and what the market looks like next year.

UZER
08-28-2017, 05:46 PM

But that's what he wants. He doesn't want the pressure from being on a good with the expectation of winning.

Dex
08-28-2017, 05:50 PM
But that's what he wants. He doesn't want the pressure from being on a good with the expectation of winning.

Kinda came to the wrong fucking place then, eh?

UZER
08-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Kinda came to the wrong fucking place then, eh?

Yup.

I think he had a "grass is greener" mentality until he got here and the expectations became reality.

TD 21
08-28-2017, 06:15 PM

Maybe, but if he cares about his reputation, he won't want that to be the perception of him.

If he opts out and get's equal or comparable offers from Spurs and Mavericks and chooses the latter, he'll cement his reputation as being a soft, mentally weak loser.

cd021
08-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Sort of nitpicking bu I hate when people say "top 2" when what they really mean is that he isn't 1st. Just say he is 2nd- i.e. LMA is the 2nd best player on the team which is true.

szkorhetz
08-28-2017, 06:20 PM

This is how much our team has slipped. From prime Tony, still top 5 SG Manu and still top 3 big man Duncan..

Mr. Body
08-28-2017, 06:47 PM
He's always been kind of a bitch-ass player. Something about UTexas turns out spineless little bitches.

John B
08-28-2017, 07:01 PM
Hopefully Gay takes some of the pressure offensively. Some people just can't take the heat

Proxy
08-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Makes sense for him to delete the spurs images on twitter if people were retweeting their opinions at him that way I guess

UZER
08-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Maybe, but if he cares about his reputation, he won't want that to be the perception of him.

If he opts out and get's equal or comparable offers from Spurs and Mavericks and chooses the latter, he'll cement his reputation as being a soft, mentally weak loser.

Agree. Now that he didn't get traded, and because he's a free agent after next season, he's cornered himself to have a great season and deliver in the playoffs. Anything less only hurts him in the FA market. If he doesn't deliver and runs to a sub par team, he will he labeled soft for the rest of his career...not sure that he even cares though. :lol

BillMc
08-28-2017, 08:31 PM
You know, I used to be a recruiter. And one of the things you learn is what bothers someone at a previous job is highly likely to bother them at a later job. If money is the issue, it will probably pop up again. Or freedom. Or control. Or work from home. Or whatever. A majority of people take their issues with them.

LaMarcus has issues with a rising star taking his limelight (Lillard) and went to a team with better rising star. He also grumbled his last few years in Portland and is now grumbling here. Also, his numbers always mattered to him. He said in that SI piece he didn't want to be one of those guys averaging "17 a game." Spurs hoped culture and success (2 60+ win seasons, a WCF appearance, and even an All-NBA selection Year 1) would change LMA. But he is what he is. A guy that doesn't like the spot light, but resents younger players who take it from him. And a guy who wants his numbers.

He has done some admirable things here. His D is way better than Portland. And, in Year 1, he was pretty efficient especially the second half of the season. If he weren't a malcontent you could hope last year was just a down year. But I think LMA blames the down year on the Spurs and how they use him.

spurs10
08-28-2017, 08:36 PM
He's always been kind of a bitch-ass player. Something about UTexas turns out spineless little bitches.Are you suggesting estrogen in the water cooler? :lol

BillMc
08-28-2017, 08:38 PM
Are you suggesting estrogen in the water cooler? :lol

I'm pretty sure that's the Bruce Jenner workout drink.

skulls138
08-28-2017, 08:46 PM
Agree. Now that he didn't get traded, and because he's a free agent after next season, he's cornered himself to have a great season and deliver in the playoffs. Anything less only hurts him in the FA market. If he doesn't deliver and runs to a sub par team, he will he labeled soft for the rest of his career...not sure that he even cares though. :lolHes got to do it the right way though. Cant be mister turnaround jumpshot guy all the time. Open jumpshot when passed to....all day long but when he gets passed to in the post hes got to back his man down more and be more decisive.

skulls138
08-28-2017, 08:47 PM
He's always been kind of a bitch-ass player. Something about UTexas turns out spineless little bitches.Canr say that about PJ Tucker.

phxspurfan
08-28-2017, 09:23 PM
He's always been kind of a bitch-ass player. Something about UTexas turns out spineless little bitches.

savage

https://www.baxterwalshpt.com/wp-content/uploads/Ford.png

tholdren
08-28-2017, 10:25 PM
You know, I used to be a recruiter. And one of the things you learn is what bothers someone at a previous job is highly likely to bother them at a later job. If money is the issue, it will probably pop up again. Or freedom. Or control. Or work from home. Or whatever. A majority of people take their issues with them.

LaMarcus has issues with a rising star taking his limelight (Lillard) and went to a team with better rising star. He also grumbled his last few years in Portland and is now grumbling here. Also, his numbers always mattered to him. He said in that SI piece he didn't want to be one of those guys averaging "17 a game." Spurs hoped culture and success (2 60+ win seasons, a WCF appearance, and even an All-NBA selection Year 1) would change LMA. But he is what he is. A guy that doesn't like the spot light, but resents younger players who take it from him. And a guy who wants his numbers.

He has done some admirable things here. His D is way better than Portland. And, in Year 1, he was pretty efficient especially the second half of the season. If he weren't a malcontent you could hope last year was just a down year. But I think LMA blames the down year on the Spurs and how they use him.

Bill with the goods per par

SAGirl
08-28-2017, 11:51 PM

Good comments. I wasn't convinced by Jackie Mcmullan or the rumblings from last season bc I really preferred that things worked out, but the rumblings have only gotten louder the more time has passed and not less. There's something in that. And he acted like a crybaby deleting tweets and the like. I do believe he's going to be gone. How that happens and when is hard to tell bc Spurs weren't going to "dump" him to get worse as a team and they couldn't turn him into a young draft pick or some other desirable player... But it's a marriage of convenience in which the parties are stuck with each other, not a fun situation. He may have a change of heart but really, as you said in your post he already showed his stripes.

spurs10
08-29-2017, 01:14 AM
I'm pretty sure that's the Bruce Jenner workout drink.
That would explain a lot! :lol

BillMc
08-29-2017, 03:38 AM
Bill with the goods per par

Good comments. I wasn't convinced by Jackie Mcmullan or the rumblings from last season bc I really preferred that things worked out, but the rumblings have only gotten louder the more time has passed and not less. There's something in that. And he acted like a crybaby deleting tweets and the like. I do believe he's going to be gone. How that happens and when is hard to tell bc Spurs weren't going to "dump" him to get worse as a team and they couldn't turn him into a young draft pick or some other desirable player... But it's a marriage of convenience in which the parties are stuck with each other, not a fun situation. He may have a change of heart but really, as you said in your post he already showed his stripes.

Cheers guys.:toast

Yep, SAG, you tagged it perfectly" "a marriage of convenience."

BillMc
08-29-2017, 03:38 AM
That would explain a lot! :lol
:lol

John B
08-29-2017, 08:16 AM
Just show it on the court Aldridge. You have the talent, just trust the system and your teammates. That ring is not really far than anyone thinks.

Chinook
08-29-2017, 08:44 AM

Bill, you're awesome and all, but I think you're reading a lot into reports and jumping to conclusions. I was one of the first people to consider LMA's 2015 comments a red flag, even though most probably consider me a top Aldridge shill now. But I doubt LMA came here not knowing Kawhi was going to be at least as big of a star as he was. LMA had incumbency going for him in Portland. Lillard came in, played no D, chucked up shots, and everyone loved him for it. Damien bitched about not being selected to the All-Star game and got a lot of credit he didn't deserve. Kawhi was a DPOY and fMVP already, and LMA has still gotten about the same number of gigs as Leonard has gotten. Kawhi's a better player and thus a bigger star. But the spotlight is relatively equal.

I didn't think he'd be happy averaging 17 a game, and honestly, if PATFO truly expected that to be okay, shame on them. We all know he's not being used correctly. We just don't know how much of that is on him and how much is on Pop. He should be scoring in the low- to mid-20s with a game somewhere between Cousins and Splitter. But everyone gave up on that after a relatively successful post-ASB 2016. Then they bring in Gasol to try replicate Tim's role in that new LMA style, but they really never used Pau that way the whole year.

Entirely too many people ran away with speculation and (it needs to be stated again) a report for Stephen A Smith. LMA may well be unhappy, but if he is, he's probably used to it by now. It would make five years in a row that he's been this way, and the previous four have been playoff years with teams that have either overachieved or played right at their limits. So him being like this isn't destroying locker rooms or forcing teams to move on from him. Is really an issue here?

rastaspur
08-29-2017, 10:00 AM

I actually agree with dabom on this topic.

San Antonio Slayer
08-29-2017, 11:17 AM
We all know he's not being used correctly.
he's got enough touches in iso, he is given his beloved pick&pop uncontested shots. he is not ok with playing too much time on the center? well I am sure it had been discussed before the contract was signed. he is asked to post up more than he was asked in Portland? what a shame for Pop!

Joseph Kony
08-29-2017, 12:48 PM
lol this is what they write articles about these days? :lmao

hater
08-29-2017, 12:51 PM

In the playoffs Lamarsha is not even top 5 on the arena

TD 21
08-29-2017, 03:25 PM
But I think LMA blames the down year on the Spurs and how they use him.

Hopefully, with more time to reflect, he's either become introspective or had someone talk some sense into him and taken at least some of the responsibility.

No matter where he goes or how he's utilized, at his age/mileage, he has to realize the days of taking it relatively easy in the off season and coasting on raw talent, are over.

But it's a marriage of convenience in which the parties are stuck with each other, not a fun situation.

You plagiarized one of my go to, patented lines. :ihit

I didn't think he'd be happy averaging 17 a game, and honestly, if PATFO truly expected that to be okay, shame on them. We all know he's not being used correctly. We just don't know how much of that is on him and how much is on Pop. He should be scoring in the low- to mid-20s with a game somewhere between Cousins and Splitter. But everyone gave up on that after a relatively successful post-ASB 2016. Then they bring in Gasol to try replicate Tim's role in that new LMA style, but they really never used Pau that way the whole year.

Entirely too many people ran away with speculation and (it needs to be stated again) a report for Stephen A Smith. LMA may well be unhappy, but if he is, he's probably used to it by now. It would make five years in a row that he's been this way, and the previous four have been playoff years with teams that have either overachieved or played right at their limits. So him being like this isn't destroying locker rooms or forcing teams to move on from him. Is really an issue here?

I don't think the relationship is as acrimonious, adversarial or vitriolic as has been portrayed either, but there's been too many reports of his discontent (and it's obvious from watching) to disregard it because of Smith's report.

Even at his peak, while being top 5-10 in mpg and usage rate, he still topped out at low 20's ppg. It's almost impossible to be more, when you're a low volume free throw and 3-point shooter. Coming to a better, deeper team, he was always going to see a drop in mpg and usage rate. More important than the volume of the counting stats, is how he accumulates them.

SAGirl
08-29-2017, 04:40 PM
You plagiarized one of my go to, patented lines. Come on! :lol
Its a common expression and the LMA rumblings have been going on for quite a while but to summarize it in succinct fashion, yes you have done that b4.

Ice009
08-29-2017, 10:28 PM
Hopefully, with more time to reflect, he's either become introspective or had someone talk some sense into him and taken at least some of the responsibility.

No matter where he goes or how he's utilized, at his age/mileage, he has to realize the days of taking it relatively easy in the off season and coasting on raw talent, are over.

You plagiarized one of my go to, patented lines. :ihit

I don't think the relationship is as acrimonious, adversarial or vitriolic as has been portrayed either, but there's been too many reports of his discontent (and it's obvious from watching) to disregard it because of Smith's report.

Even at his peak, while being top 5-10 in mpg and usage rate, he still topped out at low 20's ppg. It's almost impossible to be more, when you're a low volume free throw and 3-point shooter. Coming to a better, deeper team, he was always going to see a drop in mpg and usage rate. More important than the volume of the counting stats, is how he accumulates them.

I think his meeting with Pat Riley in free agency is the one that sold him on coming to the Spurs. I recall Riley used Chris Bosh as an example about sacrificing and having lower stats for the good of the team, so I think LaMarcus came in thinking that it's all going to be great and that he'd win a ring straight away. I'm not sure if not winning it all the past two years has made him change his mind about giving up stats in exchange for wins?

The questions is, is it the stats during the regular season that he's upset about, or is he mad about getting dumped on and criticized by the media for his lower scoring outputs in the playoffs and getting blamed for not showing up in crunch time? Is it mostly postseason criticism that he's upset about? If it is, I think instead of accepting responsibility, has he decided that it's the Spurs that are to blame for his poor performances due to the way they use him (this is something I disagree with completely if that is where he is coming from)?

I think he's a little mentally weak in pressure situations during big games (both in the regular season and playoffs). He also seems takes criticism too personal instead of using it to get better.

As far as the regular season goes, he was the one that was being passive. The Spurs were begging him to score more during the start of the 2016 regular season, and also last season they were also asking him to score more, but he was looking totally out of shape and wasn't up to it for a lot of the past two seasons. That more his fault than the Spurs' IMO.

TD 21
08-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Come on! :lol
Its a common expression and the LMA rumblings have been going on for quite a while but to summarize it in succinct fashion, yes you have done that b4.

Not in this context.

I think his meeting with Pat Riley in free agency is the one that sold him on coming to the Spurs. I recall Riley used Chris Bosh as an example about sacrificing and having lower stats for the good of the team, so I think LaMarcus came in thinking that it's all going to be great and that he'd win a ring straight away. I'm not sure if not winning it all the past two years has made him change his mind about giving up stats in exchange for wins?

The questions is, is it the stats during the regular season that he's upset about, or is he mad about getting dumped on and criticized by the media for his lower scoring outputs in the playoffs and getting blamed for not showing up in crunch time? Is it mostly postseason criticism that he's upset about? If it is, I think instead of accepting responsibility, has he decided that it's the Spurs that are to blame for his poor performances due to the way they use him (this is something I disagree with completely if that is where he is coming from)?

I think he's a little mentally weak in pressure situations during big games (both in the regular season and playoffs). He also seems takes criticism too personal instead of using it to get better.

As far as the regular season goes, he was the one that was being passive. The Spurs were begging him to score more during the start of the 2016 regular season, and also last season they were also asking him to score more, but he was looking totally out of shape and wasn't up to it for a lot of the past two seasons. That more his fault than the Spurs' IMO.

I doubt he thought "he'd win a ring straight away", but he probably thought he had a better chance than they've had. Despite Warriors having already won a (gift wrapped) championship, they went to another level the following season, then added Durant the next, eliminating any chance for anyone. Even he can't blame Spurs for that unforeseen circumstance.

He probably sees his counting stats and criticism as related and that's partially right. There's still a lot of antiquated analysis and casual fans, who evaluate players based solely on their averages and don't even factor in context.

I don't think they've utilized him properly (they've tried to turn him into prime Duncan), but some of that is due to personnel (sounds great to say turn him into a floor spacer/finisher, but they don't have a dynamic PG) and it should play into his ego. Ideally, he's Heat Bosh or Cavaliers Love on an elite team.

rastaspur
08-30-2017, 04:25 PM
I ran into the old lady of lamarcus at whataburger. I told her that aldridge was a salty diva.

She queefed on my burger in response. So the moral of the story is there are at least two salty divas living in the aldridge household.

BillMc
08-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Bill, you're awesome and all, but I think you're reading a lot into reports and jumping to conclusions. I was one of the first people to consider LMA's 2015 comments a red flag, even though most probably consider me a top Aldridge shill now. But I doubt LMA came here not knowing Kawhi was going to be at least as big of a star as he was. LMA had incumbency going for him in Portland. Lillard came in, played no D, chucked up shots, and everyone loved him for it. Damien bitched about not being selected to the All-Star game and got a lot of credit he didn't deserve. Kawhi was a DPOY and fMVP already, and LMA has still gotten about the same number of gigs as Leonard has gotten. Kawhi's a better player and thus a bigger star. But the spotlight is relatively equal.

For the most part I think we agree. I gave LMA his due on defense and mentioned how efficient he was year 1 especially the back half of the season. And there's no doubt he wants his numbers (he's gone on record about that) and he resented Lilliard. So, I guess we disagree basically over whether he should be surprised that Kawhi was number 1 after he arrived in 2015-16. Well, remember, 2015 was Kawhi's first year being really given the reigns. And there was a perception (fair or not and mentioned often on this board) that Kawhi faded in the back half of the Clippers series. Also, at that time, Kawhi while DPOY, had yet to make an All-Star team. It is not unreasonable to think that LMA, with multiple All-Star and All-NBA selections and a corresponding ego, would think he could be ahead of the "kid" FMVP and all. It seems ludicrous in hindsight, and possibly even at the time, but probably not in LMA's world. Also, Pop and RC apparently were selling LMA on his being the successor to TD. While they may have left it unclear what that fully meant, its not a stretch to think LMA would assume he'd be the franchise star given that pitch.

So, if he did resent Lillard, well, he could easily end up resenting Kawhi for similar reasons. There are differences of course. Kawhi's personality for one. But these stars have huge egos, and I think it happened again. Throw in frustration on how he's used, lower numbers, criticism in the media and you can see a heavy negative ledger that has to be balanced out by the most team success LMA's ever had.

I actually think HIS PLAY is underrated on here. His D has become very impressive. And Year 1 LMA was really efficient. Even with Year 2's drop in production, he's a very useful player, the second best on the team, and almost justifies his salary.

But I think he sees his days as an Alpha dog slipping away, an understandable frustration. How he handles it will tell us a lot about him. Hope he rises to the occasion.

tmtcsc
08-31-2017, 10:07 AM
You know what's fucked up? The coaching staff would love for Aldridge to average low to mid 20's per game. They would love to see him more aggressive on the offensive end so teams can't focus on Leonard as much. He just doesn't get it. This team is better when he is "on" and plays aggressively. Unfortunately, the coaching staff is at loss for how to motivate him to play. He had a chance in the playoffs (with no excuses about sharing the ball and trying to get his teammates touches) and he came up short. He shriveled up like a nut sack in a cold pool. He quit on the team, fumbled the ball, turned it over and pretty much stopped playing. That's his character.

Chinook
08-31-2017, 10:31 AM
You know what's fucked up? The coaching staff would love for Aldridge to average low to mid 20's per game. They would love to see him more aggressive on the offensive end so teams can't focus on Leonard as much. He just doesn't get it. This team is better when he is "on" and plays aggressively. Unfortunately, the coaching staff is at loss for how to motivate him to play. He had a chance in the playoffs (with no excuses about sharing the ball and trying to get his teammates touches) and he came up short. He shriveled up like a nut sack in a cold pool. He quit on the team, fumbled the ball, turned it over and pretty much stopped playing. That's his character.

He was fine when he was the second-option he was supposed to be. The problem with LMA isn't just that he doesn't go strong to the basket. That would only help a bit, with the way people can draw offensive fouls nowadays. The problem is where he gets the ball. It's a question whether he stopped getting duck-ins, high-lows and rolls because he didn't like doing it or because the coaching staff stopped running them. It's easy to blame it on LMA, but the entire offense outside of Kawhi devolved last year. Even if Aldridge is being passive, the staff is not getting the team to run the offense they used to.

LMA was doubled every possession after Kawhi went out. The reason why he had so many TOs is because he could never put the ball down, and GS jumped every passing lane. They desperately needed to be smarter about how he got the ball, but Pop gave up pretty early on. The team desperately needed to get a penetrating guard to compliment LMA and Kawhi this summer, and they reupped everyone instead. Guys like Green and Mills aren't bad at all in a vacuum, but they aren't supposed to be supporting a broken offense, and Pau only had one game in five where he carried his own scoring-wise. That's even more true given his new contract.

SAGirl
08-31-2017, 09:34 PM
He was fine when he was the second-option he was supposed to be. The problem with LMA isn't just that he doesn't go strong to the basket. That would only help a bit, with the way people can draw offensive fouls nowadays. The problem is where he gets the ball. It's a question whether he stopped getting duck-ins, high-lows and rolls because he didn't like doing it or because the coaching staff stopped running them. It's easy to blame it on LMA, but the entire offense outside of Kawhi devolved last year. Even if Aldridge is being passive, the staff is not getting the team to run the offense they used to.

LMA was doubled every possession after Kawhi went out. The reason why he had so many TOs is because he could never put the ball down, and GS jumped every passing lane. They desperately needed to be smarter about how he got the ball, but Pop gave up pretty early on. The team desperately needed to get a penetrating guard to compliment LMA and Kawhi this summer, and they reupped everyone instead. Guys like Green and Mills aren't bad at all in a vacuum, but they aren't supposed to be supporting a broken offense, and Pau only had one game in five where he carried his own scoring-wise. That's even more true given his new contract.
My mind is very much made up about Lamarcus and I don't favor him quite honestly. I don't think Spurs will win while he's in the team bc he has no spine when the going gets tough, etc. It's stuff that's been said b4

Anyways, I do agree with you in your point about playmakers and guards and I was emphatic that the Spurs needed to do something about their guards... to state it generally playmaking has been an issue and Lamarcus will never be confused for a playmaker. Let's ignore the GSW series without Kawhi. I didn't even like him against the Grizzlies.

But I agree that the spurs have issues with their guards and didn't do enough to get better in that area. Tony (the injury) and Manu (40).... then a bunch of kids. it's not about salary at this point, or leadership, or Tony and Manu's value etc, but about roles they still play and the fact that behind them there's minimum contract players, several of them untested and possibly one or two who won't even make it through the full season (just the odds and past observation). It's unsettling the Spurs have committed such a large share of the salary pie to players who are so old that injuries are likely, recoveries likely to be slow, etc, their minutes need to be cut short, rested even when healthy, etc. Danny hasn't been shooting at his elite level since Lamarcus joined the team quite frankly and Patty is fearless but he's so small that he will always struggle with size. Dejounte might be a season away (though I think he is likely to be better, he's still just too young to assume anything and will probably still be erratic).

I hope for some of the Spurs young guard prospects to play well. It will be interesting to see them develop. Maybe someone will surprise, but it still was an underwhelming off season.

Spurtacular
08-31-2017, 09:51 PM
:lmao Even comparing the two!

This rocked the Spurs nation like nothing since the summer of 2000 when Duncan almost didn’t even get on the plane to return to San Antonio from his free agency visit in Orlando.

MultiTroll
09-01-2017, 08:22 AM
I didn't think he'd be happy averaging 17 a game, and honestly, if PATFO truly expected that to be okay, shame on them. We all know he's not being used correctly.
Pop used him perfectly in the playoffs. That LMA doesn't want to bang a smaller player on the blocks is on him 100%. Pops strategy vs Golden Showers was perfect in Game 1.

The diva pussy should not have been brought in. If anything Pop is wrong, not for how he used him but for cow towing to Aldridge. The last dozen games of the regular season where the offense was ordered to force feed Aldridge for soft pussy jumpers while Bertie, Murray, Dedmon and others sat on the bench. Along with taking Kawhi out of his groove when he was in that 30/10/7/4/3 MVP stretch. Fucking disgusting.

Ice009
09-01-2017, 08:37 AM
Pop used him perfectly in the playoffs. That LMA doesn't want to bang a smaller player on the blocks is on him 100%. Pops strategy vs Golden Showers was perfect in Game 1.

The diva pussy should not have been brought in. If anything Pop is wrong, not for how he used him but for cow towing to Aldridge. The last dozen games of the regular season where the offense was ordered to force feed Aldridge for soft pussy jumpers while Bertie, Murray, Dedmon and others sat on the bench. Along with taking Kawhi out of his groove when he was in that 30/10/7/4/3 MVP stretch. Fucking disgusting.

Man, I hate it when Pop breaks Kawhi's rhythm when he's on hot runs/streaks.

Chinook
09-01-2017, 09:20 AM
Pop used him perfectly in the playoffs.

Yeah, no he didn't. Long isos trying to back down smaller guys is just a good way to foul out. When you have a mismatch, you have to seal and go. That's what the Spurs weren't doing. Rather than moving quickly and giving LMA the ball when he was under the basket, they waited until he was 15 feet out and then tossed him the rock. Do you really think LMA throwing his shoulder into Harden was going to work with the refs? What Pop did all fucking year was the type of post-up that gives the whole action a bad name. It wasn't really a matter of the posting player, either. The entry passes came like two seconds later than they had in 2014 in the same sets.

Of course, as I've been saying the Spurs may have stopped with quick post-ups because LMA doesn't want to do them. But I'm skeptical given that almost everyone fell off this past year. If Pop has changed the foci of the offense because he doesn't have Prime Parker, then he should have gone out and signed a new PG rather than giving Pau, Patty and Gay money. As it is, I fear we're going to see more lazy iso ball, which only helps Leonard, even if it is something LMA prefers.

UZER
09-01-2017, 09:22 AM
Man, I hate it when Pop breaks Kawhi's rhythm when he's on hot runs/streaks.

It's thing like that that make you scratch you're head. Why the hell does this coach keep doing things like that?!

He does that within games too. There will be times when kwahi is on fire in a quarter, but before he goes for 20 in that quarter, Pop just yanks and puts him on the bench. It's this side of Pop, the micromanaging side, that'll make me happy when he's gone. He seriously need to get over himself.

cd98
09-02-2017, 05:34 AM
In today's NBA, bigs have a hard time posting up guards 8 feet from the basket bc the guards flop and get offensive fouls. In the playoffs, it seems LMA got the ball too far from the hoop. When he got to within two feet, the small defenders were screwed. But if he caught it 8 ft out, they just put a body on him and flopped if he tried to force the issue. That resulted in him taking more midrange shots, which he missed for some reason all year after making those shots throughout his career.

UZER
09-02-2017, 11:08 AM
In today's NBA, bigs have a hard time posting up guards 8 feet from the basket bc the guards flop and get offensive fouls. In the playoffs, it seems LMA got the ball too far from the hoop. When he got to within two feet, the small defenders were screwed. But if he caught it 8 ft out, they just put a body on him and flopped if he tried to force the issue. That resulted in him taking more midrange shots, which he missed for some reason all year after making those shots throughout his career.

That's on him for not establishing his presence down low early on in a game, or series. Thats one thing Shaq understood. I play physical down low, and you're gonna have to adjust to me. If you call three offensive fouls in a row, I going to do it again because I know you won't call a fourth. You can't keep fouling me out of games all year, or playoffs. This is how I'm going to play.

LMA gets one offensive foul called on him, then goes into a shell. The guy just doesn't have desire to push through adversity on the court. He let's others dictate how he plays.

SAGirl
09-02-2017, 04:41 PM

I had to share it... so Lamarcus has earned a reprieve from me... I admier community conscious public figures.
Let me hope the man has a better season.
Go Spurs.

BillMc
09-02-2017, 05:39 PM

I had to share it... so Lamarcus has earned a reprieve from me... I admier community conscious public figures.
Let me hope the man has a better season.
Go Spurs.
:toast

Well done LMA