View Full Version : Royce White Story

Racspur1
09-03-2017, 12:15 PM
Long but interesting read and player .

https://longreads.com/2017/08/31/how-the-nba-failed-royce-white/

https://youtu.be/usQJQi3IiE0

Spurtacular
09-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Alt with under 100 posts making random threads; par for the course on ST.

exstatic
09-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Still entitled. Top three talent in an draft of the last five or six. He thinks the world revolves around him, and that the NBA should change its business model for him. News for him: the byways of the NBA ar littered with busted careers of players equally talented.

I'm sure that over the last 70 years, there have been a boatload of players in the NBA that had anxiety disorders. You didn't hear about them, because they worked with their own doctors and team doctors, and made it work.

baseline bum
09-03-2017, 08:36 PM
:lmao The NBA failing Royce White

FkLA
09-03-2017, 08:38 PM
Still entitled. Top three talent in an draft of the last five or six.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/legomessageboards/images/a/aa/LolWut%21.gif/revision/latest?cb=20131104111928

apalisoc_9
09-03-2017, 08:43 PM
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/legomessageboards/images/a/aa/LolWut%21.gif/revision/latest?cb=20131104111928

Casuals :lol

sananspursfan21
09-04-2017, 08:36 PM
His name is Royce, what do you expect? I bet his middle name is Phantom...

ElNono
09-04-2017, 09:38 PM
:lmao The NBA failing Royce White

SAGirl
09-05-2017, 09:34 AM
Sounds like a really unstable guy ...

sasaint
09-05-2017, 09:46 AM
His name is Royce, what do you expect? I bet his middle name is Phantom...

:lol (Going for the low-hanging stuff...) I was thinking his first name was Rolls.

MarCowMar
09-05-2017, 11:15 AM
With all the talk of family and virtue signaling Pop does you'd think he might find a place on the Spurs.

Maybe he's in the Kaepernick zone where he's a decent enough prospect but the amount of drama his presence would create and the effort it'd take to accommodate him are too costly.

Darius Bieber
09-05-2017, 11:29 AM
I go to Iowa State currently. Ask most people on campus and nobody has an ounce of idea of who he is. Our program has a history of transferring in troubled players from other colleges and it somehow works out for us (he transferred from Minnesota). It's a shame too, he had realistically good NBA talent. He fucked Houston out of a top 15 pick. His story isn't really sad - he did this to himself honestly. Not being able to fly is a huge handicap in the NBA basketball system. Kinda like trying to play with one arm.

The NBA didn't fail him. He had this condition for a while, before coming to the NBA. He failed himself.

wildbill2u
09-05-2017, 01:58 PM
I go to Iowa State currently. He fucked Houston out of a top 15 pick. His story isn't really sad - he did this to himself honestly. Not being able to fly is a huge handicap in the NBA basketball system. Kinda like trying to play with one arm. The NBA didn't fail him. He had this condition for a while, before coming to the NBA. He failed himself.

I didn't remember who he was and why he was out of the league. Didn't Iowa State fly to some games? Sounds like Houston didn't do their due diligence about the guy's fear of flying. Bad scouting?

baseline bum
09-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I didn't remember who he was and why he was out of the league. Didn't Iowa State fly to some games? Sounds like Houston didn't do their due diligence about the guy's fear of flying. Bad scouting?

High risk, high reward pick. I guess they figured he'd get over it the first time he saw all the zeroes at the end of his paycheck.

Darius Bieber
09-05-2017, 03:15 PM

Iowa State would bus him out to games individually I believe. The Iowa State team flies to every game (except games within the state of Iowa). The basketball team owns/charters a private jet with seating for the team (An ERJ-140) that flies out of Ames, Iowa.

He was offered a transfer to Kentucky to play under Calipari, but his fear of flying kept him from flying down there. Instead, he transferred to Iowa State since it was closer to his home in Minneapolis.

exstatic
09-05-2017, 06:00 PM
High risk, high reward pick. I guess they figured he'd get over it the first time he saw all the zeroes at the end of his paycheck.

TBH, a mid first rounder isn't high risk for talent like his. I think I would have talked to him more. Due diligence, and all.

baseline bum
09-05-2017, 06:55 PM
TBH, a mid first rounder isn't high risk for talent like his. I think I would have talked to him more. Due diligence, and all.

It's still a good enough asset that you can't throw it away. It's not like they used a late 20s pick. I can't remember if first rounders were guaranteed four year deals back then or not (I forget which year that changed), but if so that's also a pretty significant investment at the mid first round rookie scale.