PDA

View Full Version : WSJ Insider: Mier Will Overturn Roe versus Wade

Nbadan
10-17-2005, 01:11 AM
Two days after President Bush announced Harriet Miers's Supreme Court nomination, James Dobson of Focus on the Family raised some eyebrows by declaring on his radio program: "When you know some of the things that I know--that I probably shouldn't know--you will understand why I have said, with fear and trepidation, that I believe Harriet Miers will be a good justice."

Mr. Dobson quelled the controversy by saying that Karl Rove, the White House's deputy chief of staff, had not given him assurances about how a Justice Miers would vote. "I would have loved to have known how Harriet Miers views Roe v. Wade," Mr. Dobson said last week. "But even if Karl had known the answer to that--and I'm certain that he didn't because the president himself said he didn't know--Karl would not have told me that. That's the most incendiary information that's out there, and it was never part of our discussion."

It might, however, have been part of another discussion. On Oct. 3, the day the Miers nomination was announced, Mr. Dobson and other religious conservatives held a conference call to discuss the nomination. One of the people on the call took extensive notes, which I have obtained. According to the notes, two of Ms. Miers's close friends--both sitting judges--said during the call that she would vote to overturn Roe.

The call was moderated by the Rev. Donald Wildmon of the American Family Association. Participating were 13 members of the executive committee of the Arlington Group, an umbrella alliance of 60 religious conservative groups, including Gary Bauer of American Values, Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention, Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council, Paul Weyrich of the Free Congress Foundation and the Rev. Bill Owens, a black minister. Also on the call were Justice Nathan Hecht of the Texas Supreme Court and Judge Ed Kinkeade, a Dallas-based federal trial judge.

Wall Street Journal, Opinion Journal (http://www.opinionjournal.com/diary/?id=110007415)

Anyone surprised? Raise your hands.

Look at all the men deciding what women should do with their bodies.

Nbadan
10-17-2005, 02:36 AM
Blot on Miers’ image

Court nominee was slow to respond to several liens placed on properties she controls in Dallas, records show had to reimburse Texas city for failing to clear weeds, debris from vacant lots

BY TOM BRUNE
WASHINGTON BUREAU
October 15, 2005, 9:09 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- The year Harriet Miers began work as a senior presidential aide in the White House, the city of Dallas slapped three liens in three months on a property she controls in a low-income minority Dallas neighborhood, records show.

The city placed the liens in 2001 to force her to reimburse it for clearing the vacant lot of tall grass, weeds and debris after Miers failed to have the work done herself, as required by city law, and after she did not respond to city notices to maintain the property.

It wasn't the first time the city had to take action -- records show that since Miers assumed power of attorney for her elderly, ailing mother in 1995, the city has issued seven other liens on vacant lots that Miers controls in the same area around Tipton Park.

All 10 liens, totaling less than $2,000, have been paid off, a city spokesman said.

But the failure of Miers, a former Dallas City Council member, to comply with city law and her slow response in reimbursing the city run counter to her image as a meticulous, detail-oriented attorney who is always well prepared.

NY Newsday (http://www.nynewsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usmiers1016,0,5675616,print.story?coll=ny-nation-big-pix)

Maybe she should have gotten W to clear some brush for her?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v411/gsh999/bush-clearing-brush.jpg

'Pioneering' is after all, busy work. Best that Democrats just sit back and watch this nomination self-implode.

jochhejaam
10-17-2005, 07:01 AM
records show had to reimburse Texas city for failing to clear weeds, debris from vacant lots
That's the last straw for me, I hope she doesn't get confirmed!!! :lol

Some conservatives fear she'll become "a David Souter in a skirt". It's interesting, you hear very little from the Dems but the infighting among the conservatives is wild!
James Dobson For
Jay Sekulow For
Judge Bork Against
I'm wondering if some of the conservatives are feigning opposition in order to make it appear to the Dems that she's moderate or left-leaning.
Reverse Psychology?

Marcus Bryant
10-17-2005, 07:10 AM
Yes, this is how the administration saves its ass with this nomination. Turn the Senate hearings into a battle over Roe.

Allan Rowe vs Wade
10-17-2005, 02:13 PM
No way Rowe vs Wade gets overturned. Even if this stupid christian ***** has Bush's balls in a jar.

smeagol
10-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Look at all the men deciding what women should do with their bodies.
Unfortunately some women don't know what to do with thier bodies either. If you can't take on the responsabilities of the outcome of you actions, abstain.

JoeChalupa
10-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Won't happen.

FromWayDowntown
10-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Frankly, as disappointed as I am in the notion that Miers is a nominee with a "promised" vote on ceratin issues -- eschewing the idea that each case should be decided on its own merits, not on some preconceived notion of what the result should be -- I'm probably more disappointed in the way that Justice Hecht has acted through this process. He's repeatedly violating the code of judicial conduct by endorsing a nominee (a no-no for a sitting judge) and then assuring people about how she'll vote on those certain issues (a judge can't say how he'll vote without violating canons of judicial conduct; I don't know how he can say how another judge will vote without encountering the same problem).