PDA

View Full Version : Where does D Rob get drafted today?

SPURt
09-04-2017, 09:28 AM
David Robison was clearly an amazing talent coming out of college but the Spurs drafted him knowing they'd need to wait two years of him not playing high level competitive basketball to get him into the organization. He turned out to be a transformational franchise player and is one of the best #1 overall picks ever drafted.

With the way the game has changed and the fact he'd be a 24 yr old rookie, where does David get drafted if his draft happened in 2017?

Drachen
09-04-2017, 09:37 AM

TheDoctor
09-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Teams aren't drafting as many bigs as before but even AD went #1 and Admiral is several notches above him sans the 3pt shooting.

Mr. Body
09-04-2017, 10:45 AM
#1.

When was the last draft that produced a sure-fire star right out of the gate? It's been many years. Maybe the Durant draft. Drafts have sucked since then.

Leetonidas
09-04-2017, 11:22 AM
Considering he has to wait two years before joining the team? I guess it depends on who wins the #1 pick.

.G.
09-04-2017, 11:25 AM
Robinson was a freak of nature. They don't make em like that no mo.

SPURt
09-04-2017, 11:44 AM
#1.

When was the last draft that produced a sure-fire star right out of the gate? It's been many years. Maybe the Durant draft. Drafts have sucked since then.
I think the only players to be rookie all stars since D Rob are Shaq, Timmy, and Yao. The amount of impact players coming out of college has changed since they all come out earlier and are physically too far behind the freaks that play now. It'd be crazy to see a 19 yr old get drafted and be a rookie all star.

I think David doesn't go #1 in today's NBA. These GMs would overthink it way too much, plus at 19 he wasn't 7 foot yet. I wish there were scouting reports from his draft to see what people were saying leading up to the draft and what the draft grades were. Having your #1 overall pick not play high level basketball for over a year after being drafted is crazy.

The best I could find was a video with guys talking about a rookie D Rob: http://ballislife.com/spurs-draft-david-robinson/

Leetonidas
09-04-2017, 11:44 AM
Its nice to imagine Robinson playing in the pace of today's league. Imo while he was a great big playing in the golden era of bigs he wasnt suited to the 90s still since he wasnt really a pound it in the low block kinda guy. I imagine a stronger and quicker version of Davis without the 3 pointer

Leetonidas
09-04-2017, 11:45 AM
I think the only players to be rookie all stars since D Rob are Shaq, Timmy, and Yao. The amount of impact players coming out of college has changed since they all come out earlier and are physically too far behind the freaks that play now. It'd be crazy to see a 19 yr old get drafted and be a rookie all star.

I think David doesn't go #1 in today's NBA. These GMs would overthink it way too much, plus at 19 he wasn't 7 foot yet. I wish there were scouting reports from his draft to see what people were saying leading up to the draft and what the draft grades were. Having your #1 overall pick not play high level basketball for over a year after being drafted is crazy.

The best I could find was a video with guys talking about a rookie D Rob: http://ballislife.com/spurs-draft-david-robinson/

Blake Griffin was the most recent rookie all star if you count him as a rookie since he missed the entire first season

SPURt
09-04-2017, 12:02 PM
Blake Griffin was the most recent rookie all star if you count him as a rookie since he missed the entire first season
You're right, I totally forgot he missed his first year to injury. Blake is definitely the most recent. I wonder how he'll be post CP3. His rookie team might've been worse than D Robs and that's saying somethng. Terry Cummings had a similar season D Rob's rookie year to Blake's rookie campaign.

BSfromTX
09-04-2017, 01:35 PM
David would destroy this league today. Total freak of nature. Draymond gree would piss his pants if he had to guard prime david

Canyonero
09-04-2017, 02:25 PM
Barclays Center

baseline bum
09-04-2017, 04:34 PM
How can anyone question this? David in the modern era would be ridiculous. Look how valuable Draymond Green is in today's NBA.

Spurtacular
09-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Shocked this is even a question, tbh.

bic50
09-04-2017, 05:57 PM
Every team today would tank for d-rob

Snaq O'Meal
09-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Its nice to imagine Robinson playing in the pace of today's league. Imo while he was a great big playing in the golden era of bigs he wasnt suited to the 90s still since he wasnt really a pound it in the low block kinda guy. I imagine a stronger and quicker version of Davis without the 3 pointer

Despite lacking the necessary bulk for the low post, Robinson still ended up with superior head-to-head record against all the paint monsters of the '90s.

And he would've developed a 3-point shot for today's game. His jumper was actually quite decent.

Mr. Body
09-04-2017, 06:24 PM

Umm... LeBron?

Hell, Wade and Anthony were almost instant stars once they were drafted. Paul was not far. Durant was.

Since the , the drafts have been poor. There are put any instant stars anymore.

And yes, Robinson sure as hell would be drafted one. He'd be coming off ripping up the NCAA in a way KAT could only dream of.

xellos88330
09-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Robinson would be #1 and it isn't even close. Robinson in today's NBA would be an absolute terror. His athleticism alone is extremely valuable as things are now. What I would give to see DRob running roughshod over the league.

IronMexican
09-04-2017, 07:08 PM
I would like to see a honest draft from all draft classes since 1970.

Where does Robinson land there? Considering everything, he probably barely cracks the first round, because he would have been 24 his rookie year.

Who goes #1 in a draft like that? Hakeem? Ewing? Maybe even Oden or LeBron

SPURt
09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Umm... LeBron?

Hell, Wade and Anthony were almost instant stars once they were drafted. Paul was not far. Durant was.

Since the , the drafts have been poor. There are put any instant stars anymore.

And yes, Robinson sure as hell would be drafted one. He'd be coming off ripping up the NCAA in a way KAT could only dream of.
Lebron wasn't an all star his rookie year. None of the other players you mentioned were #1 picks or all stars as rookies. They're all great players but none made the immediate impact D Rob did.

SPURt
09-04-2017, 08:25 PM
I would like to see a honest draft from all draft classes since 1970.

Where does Robinson land there? Considering everything, he probably barely cracks the first round, because he would have been 24 his rookie year.

Who goes #1 in a draft like that? Hakeem? Ewing? Maybe even Oden or LeBron
That's a tough debate with #1 overall picks. Cutting it off at 70 misses Kareem by a year. Picking one of Timmy, Lebron, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, or Dream you can't really go wrong. David certainly goes in a round of thirty and it would still be a lottery pick easily, even including Kareem.

sananspursfan21
09-04-2017, 08:30 PM
Considering he has to wait two years before joining the team? I guess it depends on who wins the #1 pick.

Sixers been doing that going on how many years now?

sananspursfan21
09-04-2017, 08:34 PM
I'd say now #1 more than ever. 7'1" and as athletic as a top notch shooting guard? That's gold in today's NBA. DRob makes DeAndre Jordan look like Matt Bonner. The whole premise of small ball is to have maximum athletic and or shot range versatility and with a DRob, you get that without giving up any size. Guy was a generational talent that I think would go #1-3 at any point in history.

tholdren
09-04-2017, 09:11 PM
Shocked this is even a question, tbh.

Idiots are allowed to start threads. Players like lonzo ball and dangle-low williams are BEING DRAFTED. Drob would be the number 1 every year.

cd98
09-04-2017, 09:32 PM
Seems like all the 7 footers in recent drafts are either tall, slow white guys with no post moves and serviceable jumpers or dudes trying to be wings. There hasn't been a 7 footer with skills like Robinson, Duncan, Shaw, or Hakeem in a decade. But given that a 40 year old Duncan on one leg was schooling this league, I'm certain if a big with Robinson's skills would go quickly.

And actually there is a third category...bigs that can't stay healthy. Embid or Odean could've been like a Mourning or a Hakeem, but could never stay on the floor for a season. Odean went one and Embid would've too but for the red flags on his foot. TBH Spurs were lucky to get 2 seven footers in a row that weren't injury prone the majority of their careers.

Wu36
09-04-2017, 09:39 PM
GMs these days don't have time to wait for him. With his age at that time in this years draft he wouldn't be #1. Teams would look to the upside of the 19 year olds and say he's just older and has no upside. He'd slide to the Spurs at 29. People would say he's another steal for the Spurs and he would dominate even more. PATFO would get all the credit for drafting such a guy.

tmtcsc
09-04-2017, 09:58 PM
#1 - No ifs ands or buts

IronMexican
09-04-2017, 11:35 PM
That's a tough debate with #1 overall picks. Cutting it off at 70 misses Kareem by a year. Picking one of Timmy, Lebron, Magic, Kareem, Shaq, or Dream you can't really go wrong. David certainly goes in a round of thirty and it would still be a lottery pick easily, even including Kareem.

Not necessarily limiting it to just #1 overall picks. I mean a draft with just every player coming out, and how they were viewed at that point.

I couldn't possibly do it in order, but the top 10 would look like

Hakeem
Shaq
Oden
LeBron
Ewing
Duncan
Anthony Davis
Magic
Durant
KAT

It would be cool to see a list made. I'm sure someone could do a top 10 a lot better than mine. Probably more #2 overalls that should make the list

IronMexican
09-04-2017, 11:38 PM
Not necessarily limiting it to just #1 overall picks. I mean a draft with just every player coming out, and how they were viewed at that point.

Hakeem
Shaq
Oden
LeBron
Ewing
Duncan
Anthony Davis
Magic
Durant
KAT

It would be cool to see a list made. I'm sure someone could do a top 10 a lot better than mine. Probably more #2 overalls that should make the list

And I hope no spurfan gets butter for not seeing DRob on the list. If he was a 19 or 20 year old coming out of college, I'm sure he'd easily make the top 10.

exstatic
09-05-2017, 06:46 AM

Hakeem
Shaq
Oden
LeBron
Ewing
Duncan
Anthony Davis
Magic
Durant
KAT

You're funny. You say that DRob would fall because he was 24 when he started playing, and yet you have Oden in your draft. If you put backward looking conditions on players, they have to apply to all players. Oden wouldn't be drafted in a 1000 player draft, if that were the case.

IronMexican
09-05-2017, 07:42 AM
How hyped was Oden during the 2007 draft? I am talking no hindsight. Based purely on what they did pre draft, and the age they came out. You're just too stupid to understand.

Of course if we had hindsight, neither Ewing or Oden get drafted top 10, and Jordan is in the top 5.

Leetonidas
09-05-2017, 01:46 PM
Sixers been doing that going on how many years now?

That's due to injury though not really the same situation

wildbill2u
09-05-2017, 02:10 PM
I think you have to add in something that GMs would consider in addition to the physical abilities. D-Rob as we all know was a very high IQ player. He was also an extremely mature and high-character guy. That stint at the Naval Academy was an extremely important period in his life to develop maturity and leadership skills. These qualities are always important IF YOU HAVE THEM as the GMs know they don't have a nut case or a possible low life party guy coming into their team.

Easily a #1.

rastaspur
09-05-2017, 03:12 PM
It would be the same result. A seven footer who can run and jump and be a lock down defender is useful in any era or style of play.

lefty
09-05-2017, 05:14 PM
D Rob kinda underused his athleticism and skills

Facing up a shitty slow ass center and he would settle for the J, fuck that shit