PDA

View Full Version : Can we get in on the Brooklyn pick?

ceds
09-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Apparently Cleveland is shopping the pick and going all in this season.

Possible top 5 pick.

What would you be willing to give up?

They need an impact player and Green & Crowder would give them defensive options in a G/S match-up.

We would need to take back salary and probably throw in slowmo or bertans.

baseline bum
09-05-2017, 09:12 AM
:lmao The Cavs trading Brooklyn's unprotected pick for fucking Danny Green

Might as well ask for LeBron too

RD2191
09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
This should be good.

Poolboy5623
09-05-2017, 09:57 AM
The Spurs have nothing of value to trade. This should be well known by now?!

ceds
09-05-2017, 10:06 AM
The thing is that cle and needs an impact player for next season. They are championship or bust and need to move the pick for a player that can match up against G/S

That player must be able to play defense and make threes.

Green is championship tested and Bertans as a backup stretch 4 would be great for them also.

Name me a better defensive wing they can get with the pick ?

Danny + Bertans and taking back shumpert is pretty damn close imo

SAGirl
09-05-2017, 10:08 AM
The only guy to trade for a potential top draft pick would be Kawhi and he's not for trade.

If Cavs are going all in they are looking for an impact star

ceds
09-05-2017, 10:11 AM
They won't get a star player with the pick.

Seventyniner
09-05-2017, 10:20 AM

They could have gotten a star on a bad team like Butler or George, but those guys are gone. They can still do a hell of a lot better than Danny Green though.

baseline bum
09-05-2017, 10:33 AM

They'd easily get Melo for it.

ducks
09-05-2017, 12:51 PM
lma did not work this offseason for top 5 pick

TimDunkem
09-05-2017, 01:01 PM
Danny "I can't dribble and the club is more important than working on my game" Green :lmao

TheGreatYacht
09-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Danny "I can't dribble and the club is more important than working on my game" Green :lmao
:lmao

cd021
09-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Possible top 5 pick.

They need an impact player and Green & Crowder would give them defensive options in a G/S match-up.

Pick is probably closer 5- 10 range. The bottom of the east is an wasteland.

cd021
09-05-2017, 03:37 PM
I'd be fine with:

Spurs Get
Channing Frye (trade salary filler)
Cedi Osman
Cavs's 2018 1st Round Pick (25-30, most likely)

Cavs Get
Danny Green
Bryn Forbes

Spurs get a second 2018 1st round pick on top of Osman who is a solid prospect. Fyre is redundant but gives the Spurs another big and also disposable salary to include in a trade at the 2018 trade deadline.

Cavs get another 3 and D player to play along side Lebron and allows them to better matchup with GSW. Improves the team while also allowing them to keep the Nets pick or trade it for more help this year.

cd98
09-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Possible top 5 pick.

Eye roll. If you want to speculate what on the roster gets you a potential lottery pick, just ask. But Cavs aren't shopping that pick to go "all in." Please. They specifically wanted the pick because they know LeBron is leaving next offseason and that they will be rebuilding.

cd021
09-05-2017, 03:56 PM

I don't think there are any stars left to be had, especially sense Hayward, Thomas, Kyrie,, PG13, and Butler-all five of them all stars switched teams. Also the 2011 Draft was ridiculous (Kawhi, Kyrie, Klay, I.T. Butler, Draymond, & Tristan Thompson)

ceds
09-05-2017, 05:43 PM
Eye roll. If you want to speculate what on the roster gets you a potential lottery pick, just ask. But Cavs aren't shopping that pick to go "all in." Please. They specifically wanted the pick because they know LeBron is leaving next offseason and that they will be rebuilding.

Well the speculation and talk atm is that they will move in pick in order to go all-In for Lebron's final season . The thinking being that If they ring then he will stay. (Lebrons team is also pushing this agenda)

This is different then trying to move LMA before the draft because PhX are a rebuilding team and wanted young assets.

Cleveland need a player that can play next season . He must be a top level defender and shoot threes. Name me the better options for them in a G/S match-up they could get then Green + bertans?

Also as someone else said the pick is projected 5 - 10 but could of course go higher. In any case it would be the highest pick the spurs have had to work with since Duncan.

Lets assume Cle accepted the trade.
Would you guys be ok downgrading for a season for the potential in a so-so draft?

SAGirl
09-05-2017, 08:12 PM
No.

Even if it were possible, the trade doesn't make sense for the Spurs. They are a team that is as much in win now mode as Cleveland is, with as many old guys as they have...

Spurs only shopped Danny for Kyrie Irving. I don't think they would take in exchange for Danny a blank check this season for a player coming next season in an unknown scenario where Spurs don't know the pick or player ahead of time.

In addition to Danny, you are offering Bertans. He currently projects as a rotation player, even if he wasn't one last season. That's so much the case that the Spurs only added a post Achilles injury Rudy Gay this off-season and a marginal big in Lauvergene, while losing minutes from a rotation wing (Simmons) and 2 quality bigs last season. It seems to me that they expect Davis to play rotation minutes this season.

In summary, it's too much to trade 2 current rotation players who are on the young spectrum in an uber old team like the Spurs.

It's high risk high reward scenario but only tank teams take blind flyers like that. It would have been different if the trade was on draft night and Spurs could evaluate the player they were getting back, etc a d could use said player this season.

ceds
09-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Im only adding Bertans because the board is laughing at my green for the pick and salary dump scenario.

Tbh i think Cle would make the trade for green straight up. Danny would thrive playing with lebron

maybe if we swapped 1st's also

UNT Eagles 2016
09-05-2017, 09:50 PM
They'll take Aldridge and Rasho plus our pick for that pick.

UNT Eagles 2016
09-05-2017, 09:52 PM

Lebron won't leave in the offseason IF the Cavs win the ship. If they lose, he's gone 90%. If they win the ship, he stays 100%.

Spurtacular
09-06-2017, 12:32 AM
I'd be fine with:

Spurs Get
Cedi Osman

Cavs Get
Danny Green
Bryn Forbes

Spurs get a second 2018 1st round pick on top of Osman who is a solid prospect. Fyre is redundant but gives the Spurs another big and also disposable salary to include in a trade at the 2018 trade deadline.

Cavs get another 3 and D player to play along side Lebron and allows them to better matchup with GSW. Improves the team while also allowing them to keep the Nets pick or trade it for more help this year.

So, you'd be fine with throwing away the season for some crap.

TheGreatYacht
09-06-2017, 12:35 AM
I'd be fine with:

Spurs Get
Cedi Osman

Cavs Get
Danny Green
Bryn Forbes

Forbes is too valuable. Throw in Fathead

SAGirl
09-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Im only adding Bertans because the board is laughing at my green for the pick and salary dump scenario.

Tbh i think Cle would make the trade for green straight up. Danny would thrive playing with lebron

I don't think Danny by himself is worth an upper echelon pick either. If he were, he might have already been traded frankly in this past draft.

cd021
09-06-2017, 08:09 AM
So, you'd be fine with throwing away the season for some crap.

Greens important but he's not absolutely vital. Adding a second first and a solid prospect for Green is a solid return.

Murray-Mills-Parker
Gay-Manu
Leonard-Anderson
Aldridge-Bertans
Gasol-Lauvergne

That's probably still a 55 win team and at least a trip to the semi's

cd021
09-06-2017, 08:13 AM

It would likely have to be Frye + Brookyln 1st for Green. Frye's expendable on a 1 year $7.5 million dollar deal and would be needed to make the money work.

The more likely trade would be for the Cav's 2018 pick not Brooklyn's. That probably isn't enough to move the Spurs but throwing in Osman (who the Spurs reportedly liked) might be something.

rjv
09-06-2017, 09:41 AM
They'd easily get Melo for it. but what else would cleveland have to send the other way in order to make the trade work. i think that is going to be their biggest obstacle in making a trade for another star work.

Spurtacular
09-06-2017, 06:24 PM
It would likely have to be Frye + Brookyln 1st for Green. Frye's expendable on a 1 year $7.5 million dollar deal and would be needed to make the money work.

The more likely trade would be for the Cav's 2018 pick not Brooklyn's. That probably isn't enough to move the Spurs but throwing in Osman (who the Spurs reportedly liked) might be something.

It'd be throwing away the season. We're not beating GS w/o Green or something immediately compensatory.

tholdren
09-06-2017, 10:20 PM
I'd be fine with:

Spurs Get
Cedi Osman

Cavs Get
Danny Green
Bryn Forbes

Get back under your bridge

ducks
09-06-2017, 11:53 PM

Possible top 5 pick.

We would need to take back salary and probably throw in slowmo or bertans.as likely as Clinton president

ceds
09-07-2017, 01:07 AM
Whats Green value around the league then? 15 - 20?

He's a proven 40% from 3 in the playoffs and All NBA defender. As far as role players go he would have to be in the top handful.
I guess only contending teams need a player like him but Cleveland for sure would value him and he would start. He's had multiple series guarding Curry, KD etc

Rose
Green
Lebron
Crowder
Thomson/Love

That is significant defensive upgrade and allows them to match-up with G/S as best as they can hope.
I cant see any other player that fills the need for them better then Danny. (in term of competing for the championship next season not potential)

Also the spurs wont have a clear payroll until Kawhi is 28 and in his prime. That will be the off-season that will determine who his main teammates are during his prime years
So since we have little chance the next 2 seasons i would be for downgrading a season for the chance at a lottery pick next season.

cd021
09-07-2017, 08:18 AM
Get back under your bridge
Hard to say who's worse; you bitching everytime someone posts something you don't agree with or Ducks and his pro Trump B.S.

SAGirl
09-07-2017, 09:33 AM

He's a proven 40% from 3 in the playoffs and All NBA defender. As far as role players go he would have to be in the top handful.
I guess only contending teams need a player like him but Cleveland for sure would value him and he would start. He's had multiple series guarding Curry, KD etc

Rose
Green
Lebron
Crowder
Thomson/Love

That is significant defensive upgrade and allows them to match-up with G/S as best as they can hope.
I cant see any other player that fills the need for them better then Danny. (in term of competing for the championship next season not potential)

Also the spurs wont have a clear payroll until Kawhi is 28 and in his prime. That will be the off-season that will determine who his main teammates are during his prime years
So since we have little chance the next 2 seasons i would be for downgrading a season for the chance at a lottery pick next season.
I understand your point. I thought personally they should have gone with younger prospects two seasons ago but Spurs chose to extend their aging guys as long as they possibly could and sign players like Gasol who are most definitely win now players. It's a phyilosophical debate in this forum at times with some arguing for some season off to mini-rebuild etc.

That's not what the Spurs have done. They have committed to an old group to win right now and have redoubled those efforts this off-season reupping Gasol Manu and Mills. It's counterintuitive to trade Danny (and Bertans) to rebuild after they reupped such players TBH. Spurs aren't rebuilding for better or worse. So as I said trading 2 rotation players for a blank check for the season after this one doesn't make sense.

Anyways, in general, it's tough to argue Danny is worth anything above a top 20 pick. The main issue is that at this point he's a 1 year rental, while a pick is cost controlled for 4 years and offers the possibility of a higher upside guy or a roleplayer at least just as good who will be useful for longer.

Danny is already 30 and his shooting has been average, not elite like it used to be. He's valuable, but hasn't been the s shooter he was between 2012-2015. He will likely seek to get paid $ before his decline, past prime Danny sets in. (I doubt he takes discounts from anyone but the Spurs TBH).

In this particular Cavs case, the Nets pick is the best asset they got in the trade they aren't turning that in for a one year Danny rental. LeBron is leaving and they need that pick to rebuild. If they can turn it into a player that helps them now and later they would take him, but for a one year rental in a roleplayer that is unwise. Danny wasn't great against GSW either this past postseason so it's not like Cavs could be swindled by a recent great performance.

TheDoctor
09-07-2017, 11:43 AM
I understand your point. I thought personally they should have gone with younger prospects two seasons ago but Spurs chose to extend their aging guys as long as they possibly could and sign players like Gasol who are most definitely win now players. It's a phyilosophical debate in this forum at times with some arguing for some season off to mini-rebuild etc.

That's not what the Spurs have done. They have committed to an old group to win right now and have redoubled those efforts this off-season reupping Gasol Manu and Mills. It's counterintuitive to trade Danny (and Bertans) to rebuild after they reupped such players TBH. Spurs aren't rebuilding for better or worse. So as I said trading 2 rotation players for a blank check for the season after this one doesn't make sense.

Anyways, in general, it's tough to argue Danny is worth anything above a top 20 pick. The main issue is that at this point he's a 1 year rental, while a pick is cost controlled for 4 years and offers the possibility of a higher upside guy or a roleplayer at least just as good who will be useful for longer.

Danny is already 30 and his shooting has been average, not elite like it used to be. He's valuable, but hasn't been the s shooter he was between 2012-2015. He will likely seek to get paid $ before his decline, past prime Danny sets in. (I doubt he takes discounts from anyone but the Spurs TBH).

In this particular Cavs case, the Nets pick is the best asset they got in the trade they aren't turning that in for a one year Danny rental. LeBron is leaving and they need that pick to rebuild. If they can turn it into a player that helps them now and later they would take him, but for a one year rental in a roleplayer that is unwise. Danny wasn't great against GSW either this past postseason so it's not like Cavs could be swindled by a recent great performance.
Well said. What I don't understand is this committing to a bunch of old fucks w/ the "Win Now" philosophy. Spurs aint winning shit this year as this team is built. Winning the division? Because unless KD and SC suffer some season ending injuries, no other team has a chance, sadly.

cd021
09-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Rose
Green
Lebron
Crowder
Thomson/Love

I agree that is probably Green's value, in the 15-20 range, though Cleveland could obviously use his skills to help improve their defensive versatility and their overall defense. I.T. is somehow a worse defender than Kyrie is and the team as a whole was bad defensively last season.
Thompson, Lebron (when he isn't coasting) Crowder, and adding Green would give them four plus defenders including three on the perimeter and allow them to better match up with Golden State.

Someone brought up the idea of moving Green to Cleveland (presumably for Frye) and then the Cavs would swap the Brooklyn pick for our 2018 pick.

Cavs Get

Danny Green
2018 Spurs 1st round pick

Spurs Get

Channing Frye
2018 Brooklyn 1st round Pick [top 5 protected] (Brooklyn is probably gonna be closer to 5-10)

TimDunkem
09-07-2017, 08:12 PM
^God you're fucking delusional.

cd021
09-08-2017, 01:38 AM
^God you're fucking delusional.
:rolleyes Didn't say it was gonna happen, I was responding to Ceds post about what a trade involving the Brooklyn pick might look like if it were to happen.

ceds
09-08-2017, 06:31 AM
Normally I would agree that Danny is not worth the pick.

I'm just saying it has the makings of a perfect storm. There's no doubt Lebron would rather have a player to help him win now then the Cavs holding onto the pick. He will pressure the Cavs to trade the pick and he will get his way like he always does. He has basically been the cavs coach AND gm since he returned.

The first option for them would to try and package love & the pick for Cousins who's in a contract year. If they can't get that then there is no star left on the market. (Melo doesn't count).

If cousins is option A then option B would be to find the best defensive guard they can with Frye & the pick.

I think Danny is the best SG they could trade for with that package and explained in an earlier post why Cle would value him and that he would immediately start.

I realize this trade has little chance of happening but also think many are overestimating what kind of players Cle can get with Frye and the pick. Especially If we included Bertans and/or gave up our first

I'm curious of the SG's or players you guys think they can get with Frye + pick