LittleCriminal
09-07-2017, 03:47 AM
Which one is better?

baseline bum
09-07-2017, 06:23 AM
SNES

baseline bum
09-07-2017, 06:53 AM
Genesis had some truly great games like the Sonic series, the Golden Axe series, the Shinobi series, Comix Zone, Strider, the Streets of Rage series, Vectorman, I mean there was some really classic shit on the Genesis. But the SNES had monster RPGs in Zelda: A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III (really IV and VI), Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and Shadowrun that Genesis couldn't touch. SNES has probably three of the five greatest sidescroller platformers of all time in Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Super Castlevania IV (by far the GOAT Castlevania IMO, as much as I love Symphony of the Night). Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 looked so far ahead of their time, I could not believe the first time I played Donkey Kong Country. I had never seen a game that looked that good even in arcades. Then there was Actraiser which was a top notch side scrolling action game plus city builder, it had to be one of the most creative games I have ever played. F-Zero is probably still my favorite driving game of all time. Such great tight control and the music was incredible. And SNES had my second favorite racing game of all time too in Uniracers. I imagine it's a really expensive game now since it got pulled off store shelves after the developer lost a lawsuit to Pixar, but such awesome split screen fun when racing someone else. Oh well, the Uniracers dev DMA Design turned out alright in the end, as they're now known as Rockstar North.

SpursforSix
09-07-2017, 09:21 AM
Genesis had some truly great games like the Sonic series, the Golden Axe series, the Shinobi series, Comix Zone, Strider, the Streets of Rage series, Vectorman, I mean there was some really classic shit on the Genesis. But the SNES had monster RPGs in Zelda: A Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II and III (really IV and VI), Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, and Shadowrun that Genesis couldn't touch. SNES has probably three of the five greatest sidescroller platformers of all time in Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Super Castlevania IV (by far the GOAT Castlevania IMO, as much as I love Symphony of the Night). Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 looked so far ahead of their time, I could not believe the first time I played Donkey Kong Country. I had never seen a game that looked that good even in arcades. Then there was Actraiser which was a top notch side scrolling action game plus city builder, it had to be one of the most creative games I have ever played. F-Zero is probably still my favorite driving game of all time. Such great tight control and the music was incredible. And SNES had my second favorite racing game of all time too in Uniracers. I imagine it's a really expensive game now since it got pulled off store shelves after the developer lost a lawsuit to Pixar, but such awesome split screen fun when racing someone else. Oh well, the Uniracers dev DMA Design turned out alright in the end, as they're now known as Rockstar North.

FZero was amazing. And the soundtrack was perfect to ramp up the tension.

I'll throw Contra 3 in there as a great game.

apalisoc_9
09-07-2017, 12:05 PM
only played SNES....

lefty
09-07-2017, 04:53 PM
:D Nec PC Engine

sickdsm
09-07-2017, 10:13 PM

Can't forget the snes controller was the best of all time. games like DK impressed me with the sound, Genesis really had nothing going on besides sonic. Play golden axe today and it sucks. I played the shit out of mario kart also super off road and NBA jam, although i imagine the ports were simiiar.

baseline bum
09-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Can't forget the snes controller was the best of all time. games like DK impressed me with the sound, Genesis really had nothing going on besides sonic. Play golden axe today and it sucks. I played the shit out of mario kart also super off road and NBA jam, although i imagine the ports were simiiar.

I agree 100% on the controllers. The SNES controller looked weird as hell when I first saw it but it became pretty intuitive to use. The Genesis 6-button was a mess to use. I gotta disagree on Golden Axe though, I think that series has held up really well and I still love playing it on MAME. I still like playing those kind of side scrolling beat em ups. There are some modern ones that are excellent, like Mother Russia Bleeds and Dragon's Crown (though the latter is a side scrolling beat 'em up RPG). SNES just murdered Genesis on sound. Super Mario World with the echoes when you were underground was pretty mindblowing for the time. The only game I can think of that sounded better on Genesis than SNES was Earthworm Jim 1; for some reason that soundtrack really worked on the Genesis crappy sound hardware and sounded too clean on the SNES.

I think the SNES is the console that has aged best and it's not even close. It was perfection for 2D sprite graphics and the sound hardware was capable of playing some amazing soundtracks. About the only SNES classic I can think of that looks like crap now in 2017 is Starfox. The console that aged worst has to be N64. I think the only N64 game I have played in the last ten years and enjoyed was Conker's Bad Fur Day. Ocarina of Time sucks to play now with that boxy 3D at twenty frames per second. That game so badly needs a remaster, not even to change the art style or graphics, but just to have it play smoothly.

SpursforSix
09-07-2017, 11:49 PM
I agree 100% on the controllers. The SNES controller looked weird as hell when I first saw it but it became pretty intuitive to use. The Genesis 6-button was a mess to use. I gotta disagree on Golden Axe though, I think that series has held up really well and I still love playing it on MAME. I still like playing those kind of side scrolling beat em ups. There are some modern ones that are excellent, like Mother Russia Bleeds and Dragon's Crown (though the latter is a side scrolling beat 'em up RPG). SNES just murdered Genesis on sound. Super Mario World with the echoes when you were underground was pretty mindblowing for the time. The only game I can think of that sounded better on Genesis than SNES was Earthworm Jim 1; for some reason that soundtrack really worked on the Genesis crappy sound hardware and sounded too clean on the SNES.

I think the SNES is the console that has aged best and it's not even close. It was perfection for 2D sprite graphics and the sound hardware was capable of playing some amazing soundtracks. About the only SNES classic I can think of that looks like crap now in 2017 is Starfox. The console that aged worst has to be N64. I think the only N64 game I have played in the last ten years and enjoyed was Conker's Bad Fur Day. Ocarina of Time sucks to play now with that boxy 3D at twenty frames per second. That game so badly needs a remaster, not even to change the art style or graphics, but just to have it play smoothly.

I would think the N64 Starfox would still be great today.

I'd also really like to play Smash TV again.

Chris
09-08-2017, 02:11 AM
Genesis had superior RPG's imo

Phantasy Star 1,2,3,4 (2 is off the chain!)

Shadowrun

Shining Force 1 & 2

Out of this World and Flashback were amazing games. Star Control was way ahead of its time.

Game Gear was superior to Gameboy. Sega's graphics were more vibrant and the fps was so smooth. Sega had superior fighter games as well. Mortal Kombat has blood. I enjoyed both systems, but it was much more fun to rent Sega games because the quality was always there no matter what genre. They fucked up in the long run with Sega CD etc... but they had a damn good run like WCW.

Chris
09-08-2017, 02:12 AM
and Shadowrun that Genesis couldn't touch

Fake news! :lol

I should read the whole thread before posting imo.

UZER
09-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Snes was superior to the genesis in every way. Not saying the genesis didn't have standouts, but one was a Mercedes, the other was a Honda. Hondas are great cars, but you cant compare them to a Mercedes.

For me, what stood out the most were the color pallettes. Snes was like 32k while Sega was around 500? This made a huge difference is graphics detail.

That, and the sound. It seemed like Nintendo was able to cram better music / sound, samples, and far better actual human voices.

I remember trading my genesis for a snes with a schoolmate over Christmas vacation. I had never played an snes. The first game I popped in was super empire strikes back. As soon as the music started and Yoda said, "do or do not there is not try" I was blown away.

baseline bum
09-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Genesis had superior RPG's imo

Phantasy Star 1,2,3,4 (2 is off the chain!)

Shadowrun

Shining Force 1 & 2

Not even close man. Chrono Trigger alone wins RPGs for the SNES. So does Final Fantasy III and Final Fantasy II. SNES is the GOAT console for RPGs.

Game Gear was superior to Gameboy. Sega's graphics were more vibrant and the fps was so smooth.

No it wasn't. :lol

The Game Gear screen had some of the worst ghosting I have ever seen. Gameboy wins strictly on Tetris. As crap as the original Gameboy's green screen was, Nintendo knows how to make games that work well on portables. They're the only company to ever be successful with handhelds. Game Gear, Nomad, Lynx, PS Vita have all been colossal failures and PSP was crap too IMO (I gave mine away two months after buying it). Nintendo is the only company I'd ever buy a handheld from again.

Sega had superior fighter games as well. Mortal Kombat has blood. I enjoyed both systems, but it was much more fun to rent Sega games because the quality was always there no matter what genre. They fucked up in the long run with Sega CD etc... but they had a damn good run like WCW.

You win on MK1, but that game was crap anyways. MK II controlled so much better than MK 1 and the SNES murdered Genesis on sound in that game. How was the Genesis better for fighting games? I guess Sega wins based on having Virtua Fighter, but otherwise the lineup was pretty much the same wasn't it? Not counting the crap games like Clay Fighter or Primal Rage.

baseline bum
09-08-2017, 07:47 AM
Snes was superior to the genesis in every way. Not saying the genesis didn't have standouts, but one was a Mercedes, the other was a Honda. Hondas are great cars, but you cant compare them to a Mercedes.

For me, what stood out the most were the color pallettes. Snes was like 32k while Sega was around 500? This made a huge difference is graphics detail.

That, and the sound. It seemed like Nintendo was able to cram better music / sound, samples, and far better actual human voices.

I remember trading my genesis for a snes with a schoolmate over Christmas vacation. I had never played an snes. The first game I popped in was super empire strikes back. As soon as the music started and Yoda said, "do or do not there is not try" I was blown away.

I think Genesis was better than a Honda though. Maybe an Acura. :lol (yeah I know, Acura is just half luxury Honda)

baseline bum
09-08-2017, 07:49 AM
Fake news! :lol

I should read the whole thread before posting imo.

Man Shadowrun on SNES is a hidden gem.

leemajors
09-08-2017, 07:53 AM
NBA Jam was best on Genesis.

Xevious
09-08-2017, 08:57 AM
I never owned a Genesis, but played on one a pretty good amount with a friend. It had its share of great games, but the SNES is just a timeless machine as far as 2D gaming goes. There are so many games I could play start to finish even today and have a blast without them feeling dated or cheesy.

baseline bum
09-08-2017, 10:30 AM
I never owned a Genesis, but played on one a pretty good amount with a friend. It had its share of great games, but the SNES is just a timeless machine as far as 2D gaming goes. There are so many games I could play start to finish even today and have a blast without them feeling dated or cheesy.

Off the top of my head that system had Super Mario World, Zelda A Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II & III, F-Zero, ActRaiser, Mario Kart, Super Castlevania IV, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Metroid, Mortal Kombat II & 3, Super Mario RPG, Uniracers, Earthbound, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Earthworm Jim 1 & 2, NBA Jam, Ghouls and Ghosts, I mean what a killer library.

baseline bum
09-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Crap, I forgot Mega Man X on that list. Man that game was great too.

leemajors
09-08-2017, 10:46 AM

A friend gave me one in college, we would just smoke out and play it. I only had SNES growing up though. SNES is definitely better.

UZER
09-08-2017, 11:07 AM
I think Genesis was better than a Honda though. Maybe an Acura. :lol (yeah I know, Acura is just half luxury Honda)

Hey...I love my Honda! :lol but yeah you're probably right.

The difference was so obvious when you compared the same games on both systems. It wasn't like the minor differences between Xbox and PS4, it was two different levels of game. Although, Aladdin on the genesis was a beautiful, smooth "cartoon" looking game.

Mikeanaro
09-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Genesis, the SNES has better colors on lots of games, but is all about better games and thats the Genesis.

DJR210
09-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Both awesome, but I liked the SNES more..

Genesis didn't look or sound as good, but they had more mature titles, and usually the better version of dual platform titles even though it wasn't as powerful. SEGA sports titles were the shit, but SNES had the good 1st party titles..

Mikeanaro
09-09-2017, 04:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-uJYzEfrIg

DJR210
09-09-2017, 05:17 PM
I remember playing Alladin, Lion King, Jurassic Park, Robocop vs Terminator, and X-Men on both platforms and wondering why the fuck SNES always had the shitty piece of crap version..

Arcadian
09-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Both good, but SNES wins.

lefty
09-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Both equally great tbh...

hater
09-11-2017, 09:53 AM
Nba jam and mortal kombat >>> Mario and duckhunt

LittleCriminal
09-11-2017, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_MOqHyCUEc

Blake
09-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Both good, but SNES wins.

Concur, slight edge to snes

DJR210
09-11-2017, 05:07 PM
Nba jam and mortal kombat >>> Mario and duckhunt

That's the NES you schmuck :lol

Chucho
09-11-2017, 10:00 PM
The Genesis had the better Beavis and Butthead version and MK 1 version.

Streets of Rage was better than Final Fight, too.

Also thought Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was a great puzzler.

But, 9 times out of 10, it's the SNES.

baseline bum
09-11-2017, 10:33 PM
The Genesis had the better Beavis and Butthead version

Was it worth playing or just better than the horrible SNES one?

Cry Havoc
09-11-2017, 10:40 PM
SNES. It was close for the early to mid life cycles but the Genesis faded because Sega made shit like the 32x and the Sega CD.

Not too many games from the Genesis era that you'd put in the top 50 games of all-time, but SNES has quite a few.

That said, Sega beat Nintendo to the punch and that was worth a LOT. When the Genesis came out it was a fucking bomb in the gaming industry. Nintendo only recovered because they were THE gaming company and their reputation carried them.

Genesis release:
NA: August 14, 1989

SNES release:
NA: August 23, 1991

Nintendo is very, very lucky Sega didn't have more money to spend or they would have completely decimated them before the SNES came out. But the SNES is honestly a top 5 console of all-time along with the NES, PS2, and Xbox 360.

Chucho
09-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Was it worth playing or just better than the horrible SNES one?
Definitely worth playing. Completely different developer. It was like an adventure-puzzle game. Way better than the boring platformer on the SNES and more true to the show.

Mikeanaro
09-12-2017, 02:16 AM
SNES. It was close for the early to mid life cycles but the Genesis faded because Sega made shit like the 32x and the Sega CD.

Not too many games from the Genesis era that you'd put in the top 50 games of all-time, but SNES has quite a few.

That said, Sega beat Nintendo to the punch and that was worth a LOT. When the Genesis came out it was a fucking bomb in the gaming industry. Nintendo only recovered because they were THE gaming company and their reputation carried them.

Genesis release:
NA: August 14, 1989

SNES release:
NA: August 23, 1991

Nintendo is very, very lucky Sega didn't have more money to spend or they would have completely decimated them before the SNES came out. But the SNES is honestly a top 5 console of all-time along with the NES, PS2, and Xbox 360.
Wrong, Genesis never faded, Sega CD was an add on and the 32x was a different console and they failed because people was still playing the Genesis.
The first Playstation came in December ´94 and the Genesis kept making games until the end of ´96, things like X-Perts, Ultimate MK3, Vectorman 2 and Sonic 3d Blast.

About the Genesis in top 50 games of all time, thats subjective but I really think the opposite since Sega had a huge library with Arcade games with all their IP´s, Nintendo dont.
Sega was open to mature games and Nintendo was more a kiddie console, cant think on a lot of unique games either, Yoshi´s Island 2, DKC´s Punch out S Metroid, what else?

Genesis had Ecco the Dolphin, Shinobis, Splatterhouse 3, Sonics, Streets of Rage series, General Chaos, Gunstar Heroes, Polterguy, Evander Holyfield Boxing, Contra Hard Corps, Aladdin is a vastly superior version than the SNES, Shining Force, Rolling Thunders, Virtua Racing, Toe Jam & Earl, The best 16 bit DBZ, Rocket Knight, The Adventures of Batman & Robin is worlds apart from the SNES game, Vectorman, Alien Soldier, Road Rash games, Monaco GP, Castlevania Bloodlines, X-Men exclusives.

And all the Sega arcade ports, so as I said is a subjective thing, but Genesis had lot of great games during that era.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 07:45 AM
cant think on a lot of unique games either, Yoshi´s Island 2, DKC´s Punch out S Metroid, what else?

Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, F-Zero, Earthbound, Actraiser, Starfox, Uniracers, Zelda A Link to the Past were all pretty unique

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 07:47 AM
Castlevania Bloodlines

It's a great game, but I'll take Super Castlevania IV over it any day. Now N64's Castlevania was complete dogshit.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 08:02 AM
But the SNES is honestly a top 5 console of all-time along with the NES, PS2, and Xbox 360.

I think PS3 and PS4 both beat the 360, and crush it if you like Japanese games. The 360 was amazing early in the generation when the PS3 was overpriced and didn't have games, but by the time Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls came out the PS3 overtook it IMO.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Nintendo is very, very lucky Sega didn't have more money to spend

Everyone was. Could you imagine the Dreamcast if they would have included a DVD player? That could have been the GOAT console then (though I hated the controller). Man Sony was smart to make the PS1 a CD player, PS2 a DVD player, and PS3 a Blu Ray player. The first two were no brainer buys at the time and the third was pretty compelling since even at $600 for the 20GB it was still the cheapest Blu Ray player.

Blake
09-12-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm very disappointed with my XBox1.

I almost hate it, tbh. Why the fuck am I waiting 30 minutes to load a game from a disc

SpursforSix
09-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, F-Zero, Earthbound, Actraiser, Starfox, Uniracers, Zelda A Link to the Past were all pretty unique

You ever play Pilot Wings? I can't say that it was in the level as the top games but it was pretty cool

leemajors
09-12-2017, 09:47 AM
It's a great game, but I'll take Super Castlevania IV over it any day. Now N64's Castlevania was complete dogshit.

yeah the 64 version was really, really bad. i was waiting for that to come out, and some of the jumping shit made me lose my mind.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm very disappointed with my XBox1.

I almost hate it, tbh. Why the fuck am I waiting 30 minutes to load a game from a disc

Are you talking about installing? Same shit on the PS4. Reading 50GB from an optical drive then downloading and installing patches is slow AF.

Mikeanaro
09-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Sure, those were unique games, but my listed genesis games showed the system had memorable games too.
I really hated SMario World, nowhere near any other Mario game.
Contra III is good too, I like better Hard Corps.

Those 2 consoles shared a lot of multi platform ports, but I like Sega more because Im into arcades.

Mikeanaro
09-12-2017, 01:17 PM
That N64 version in the pirate ship? lol thats fugly ugly.

Mikeanaro
09-12-2017, 01:25 PM
Everyone was. Could you imagine the Dreamcast if they would have included a DVD player? That could have been the GOAT console then (though I hated the controller). Man Sony was smart to make the PS1 a CD player, PS2 a DVD player, and PS3 a Blu Ray player. The first two were no brainer buys at the time and the third was pretty compelling since even at $600 for the 20GB it was still the cheapest Blu Ray player.
Problem was Sega made very stupid decisions and had money to afford 3 epic failures, first the Sega CD, then the 32x which was released at the same time... people was confused also kids cant buy 2 consoles its like money growing from trees, then the Saturn because the PS1 was such a success.

By the time the Dreamcast failed they had enough damage, it was a nice console, best GPU and colors than the PS2 but the CD was a bad choice, and the controls too...
Also third party developers jumped on the PS2 bandwagon, Sega just had Capcom and a bag of doritos.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 03:34 PM
Problem was Sega made very stupid decisions and had money to afford 3 epic failures, first the Sega CD, then the 32x which was released at the same time... people was confused also kids cant buy 2 consoles its like money growing from trees, then the Saturn because the PS1 was such a success.

By the time the Dreamcast failed they had enough damage, it was a nice console, best GPU and colors than the PS2 but the CD was a bad choice, and the controls too...
Also third party developers jumped on the PS2 bandwagon, Sega just had Capcom and a bag of doritos.

Ah man when I look back at the Genesis and Dreamcast it sucks so much not having Sega in the console business any more. They really screwed themselves with Sega CD and 32X. Retailers got sick of carrying their shit after three flops in a row (factoring in the Saturn) and hence the absolutely legendary Dreamcast sold like crap. You go back and play those games now and Dreamcast demolishes PS1 and has aged much better than PS2. I loved Dreamcast since you got the first really good console version of Daytona USA on it. The Saturn port was terrible. And then Dreamcast's port of Soul Calibur. Then the NBA 2k games back when they were Sega exclusives. Now I want to go buy Sonic Mania after all this Sega talk, it really looks amazing. :lol

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 03:39 PM
Man I can't believe Sega never put out the original Shinobi arcade on Genesis. Had they done that I would have for sure picked Genesis over SNES. That to me was the GOAT arcade game. I played that game constantly on my computer once System16 emulation got good in the late 90s.

The Gemini Method
09-12-2017, 03:50 PM
Man I can't believe Sega never put out the original Shinobi arcade on Genesis. Had they done that I would have for sure picked Genesis over SNES. That to me was the GOAT arcade game. I played that game constantly on my computer once System16 emulation got good in the late 90s.

I saved enough money to have both the Genesis and SNES and they both had their plus moments. But that Shinobi was always one of my go-to at the arcades. Loved that game at the local Strawhat Piza joint (local chain) and loved that game for how many quarters spent. That and SFII (Turbo Edition) and MKII took a good swath of my future college savings :lol.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 03:55 PM
I saved enough money to have both the Genesis and SNES and they both had their plus moments. But that Shinobi was always one of my go-to at the arcades. Loved that game at the local Strawhat Piza joint (local chain) and loved that game for how many quarters spent. That and SFII (Turbo Edition) and MKII took a good swath of my future college savings :lol.

I think my GOAT arcade games were:

1. Shinobi
2. Mortal Kombat II
3. Street Fighter 2 and its various versions (like you said, Turbo was the best)
4. Double Dragon (the NES port was such crap)
5. Zaxxon
6. Galaga
7. Golden Axe
8. Ninja Turtles
9. Daytona USA (since that machine was expensive AF you never saw this one at the ice house :( )
10. Ms Pac Man

I still remember the day my friend and I kicked the Double Dragon machine when it didn't take my quarter and it started giving a free credit every time. So we got about $5 worth of continues off that one quarter and beat the game. Before that day I don't think I had ever been past the second stage. Fucking Willie with the machine gun would have driven me nuts if I was paying 25 cents every time he shot me. :lol

The Gemini Method
09-12-2017, 04:13 PM
I think my GOAT arcade games were:

1. Shinobi
2. Mortal Kombat II
3. Street Fighter 2 and its various versions (like you said, Turbo was the best)
4. Double Dragon (the NES port was such crap)
5. Zaxxon
6. Galaga
7. Golden Axe
8. Ninja Turtles
9. Daytona USA (since that machine was expensive AF you never saw this one at the ice house :( )
10. Ms Pac Man

My list would resemble this. I would add MK III because I was a beast with Kabal and later with Nightwolf. I also would ad Super Sprint. A simple race car game but that game kept me busy while my pops would bet on the ponies at the local quarter horse track.

Mine would go:

1. Shinobi
2. Street Fighter II (Turbo out of the variations)
3. Mortal Kombat II - My Kung Lao was pretty hard to beat.
4. The Simpsons - This one was a must-play for me in its heyday.
5. Galaga/Centipede - I loved both classic games. The only thing is the Galaga was always broken at the local donut shop we'd play SF II after they removed the Galaga/Centipede.
6. The Ninja Turtles- At this point, I played the Simpsons more so, but this game was so fun as well. April O'Neil always getting caught. Donatello was my go-to choice.
7. Super Sprint. I liked the simple format of this Atari-designed race game. Especially when you got 4 drivers to battle it out.
8. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - I got really good at this game. It was the sunset of my video game playing days. I wax nostalgic on the others because this game was later and I didn't play it as much. But get me on the DMC combo and I could hold serve for hours.
9. Ghost N' Goblins - This one had a console love to it and so it was aslo fun to play as it was my go-to later at night when at the local bowling alley and as corny as the creepy factor, it was fun.
10. Virtua Fighter - Not one of the more smoother fighting franchises, but I played this more than the Art of Fighting 2 (Another widely played fighter), but it was supposed to be the "future" of video games, but it was the final game they switched out after SFII at the local doughnut spot by my childhood home. So it got tons of play from me and my crew.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Definitely worth playing. Completely different developer. It was like an adventure-puzzle game. Way better than the boring platformer on the SNES and more true to the show.

Cool, I'll have to check it out on emulation. I just wrote off the games after seeing how horrific the SNES one was.

baseline bum
09-12-2017, 04:43 PM
My list would resemble this. I would add MK III because I was a beast with Kabal and later with Nightwolf. I also would ad Super Sprint. A simple race car game but that game kept me busy while my pops would bet on the ponies at the local quarter horse track.

Mine would go:

1. Shinobi
2. Street Fighter II (Turbo out of the variations)
3. Mortal Kombat II - My Kung Lao was pretty hard to beat.
4. The Simpsons - This one was a must-play for me in its heyday.
5. Galaga/Centipede - I loved both classic games. The only thing is the Galaga was always broken at the local donut shop we'd play SF II after they removed the Galaga/Centipede.
6. The Ninja Turtles- At this point, I played the Simpsons more so, but this game was so fun as well. April O'Neil always getting caught. Donatello was my go-to choice.
7. Super Sprint. I liked the simple format of this Atari-designed race game. Especially when you got 4 drivers to battle it out.
8. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - I got really good at this game. It was the sunset of my video game playing days. I wax nostalgic on the others because this game was later and I didn't play it as much. But get me on the DMC combo and I could hold serve for hours.
9. Ghost N' Goblins - This one had a console love to it and so it was aslo fun to play as it was my go-to later at night when at the local bowling alley and as corny as the creepy factor, it was fun.
10. Virtua Fighter - Not one of the more smoother fighting franchises, but I played this more than the Art of Fighting 2 (Another widely played fighter), but it was supposed to be the "future" of video games, but it was the final game they switched out after SFII at the local doughnut spot by my childhood home. So it got tons of play from me and my crew.

Kitana was my character on MK II. There was this one combo you could do that would take out more than half your opponents health if you managed to land a jump kick, and there was nothing the other player could do once you got that first hit in. I think it went something like land a jump kick, then lift the other player off the ground with the fan. Then upper cut, then jump kick while the body is in the air, throw the fans a split second after landing the kick, and then do the dashing air punch before your opponent hits the ground. It took a ton of practice to pull off but it was completely unguardable if you ever got that first jump kick in.

Ghosts N Goblins was too hardcore for me bro. I'd just want to kick the shit out of the machine when I'd get to that city with all the ladders and the fat fucks who never moved away from them.

NASpurs
09-12-2017, 04:44 PM
I always got a kick of games with the same title on either system but being completely different with different developers.

There's a video on it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNsxKuMHRE8

The Gemini Method
09-12-2017, 04:55 PM
Kitana was my character on MK II. There was this one combo you could do that would take out more than half your opponents health if you managed to land a jump kick, and there was nothing the other player could do once you got that first hit in. I think it went something like land a jump kick, then lift the other player off the ground with the fan. Then upper cut, then jump kick while the body is in the air, throw the fans a split second after landing the kick, and then do the dashing air punch before your opponent hits the ground. It took a ton of practice to pull off but it was completely unguardable if you ever got that first jump kick in.

Kitana was OP in MKII. I would probably switch to Sub-Zero if I'd go against a good Kitana player. Only because Kung Lao's teleport allowed him to be caught in the fan tractor move. But my buddy was reliant on Kitana and he'd frustrate me until I started using Mileena on him.

Ghouls N' Ghost did get frustrating. But then I got the hang of the enemies and was soon getting deep into the game on a single credit. I think, though the frustration was definitely there. I liked the challenge. I totally forgot Skate Or Die. That game was also frustrating when the bees were just coming at you.

Ghosts N Goblins was too hardcore for me bro. I'd just want to kick the shit out of the machine when I'd get to that city with all the ladders and the fat fucks who never moved away from them.

Mikeanaro
09-12-2017, 06:09 PM
Ah man when I look back at the Genesis and Dreamcast it sucks so much not having Sega in the console business any more. They really screwed themselves with Sega CD and 32X. Retailers got sick of carrying their shit after three flops in a row (factoring in the Saturn) and hence the absolutely legendary Dreamcast sold like crap. You go back and play those games now and Dreamcast demolishes PS1 and has aged much better than PS2. I loved Dreamcast since you got the first really good console version of Daytona USA on it. The Saturn port was terrible. And then Dreamcast's port of Soul Calibur. Then the NBA 2k games back when they were Sega exclusives. Now I want to go buy Sonic Mania after all this Sega talk, it really looks amazing. :lol
Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive had the most vivid colors ever, PS2 colors are dull, I had Ecco defender of the future and RE Code Veronica for the DC and then sold it to buy a PS2, eventually got those 2 games and the difference was abysmal, but the pro was getting all the other games and a console that was alive.

Sonic Mania is really incredible, stages are huge sometimes 10 minutes is not enough to explore them if you want to get the emerald, also that emerald bonus is hard as fuck after the 3rd stage.
That guy Crhristian Whitehead is sick, is not just a regular Sonic game, it has new items, new spins to old designs, and new level designs too, and the colors are like something made in 1993 with superb quality.

DJR210
09-12-2017, 09:25 PM

Revenge of Shinobi was the shit though.. That music brings me back.. I believe the same guy who did Streets of Rage.

The early versions had Superman, Batman, and Godzilla as bosses iirc

hater
09-13-2017, 06:40 AM
That's the NES you schmuck :lol

Oh damn so the SNES was the shittier console that had that shitty super
Mario game and no duck hunt :lmao

Genesis superiority is even more loosided :lol

DJR210
09-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Oh damn so the SNES was the shittier console that had that shitty super
Mario game and no duck hunt :lmao

Genesis superiority is even more loosided :lol

If you say so.. I guess the additional 20 million units the SNES sold were coincedental

LittleCriminal
09-15-2017, 02:26 PM
All i know is when the 32x came out it was garbage.
When the sega cd came out it was garbage.
Snes didn't have to make crap add-ons to try and save its console..the library of games took care of that.

DJR210
09-15-2017, 03:41 PM
32x and Sega CD were pure trash.. I owned the Sega CD unfortunately.. 32X i used to rent to play Doom

LittleCriminal
09-16-2017, 04:05 PM
LOL back then some kid bought two 32x's and would attach them together in one console.
He told everyone he was playing a 64 bit Genesis.
What a bucket of turds he was...

TDMVPDPOY
09-24-2017, 11:16 PM
how about when the n64 had that add on at the bottom of the console...that was a load of rubbish, don't get me started with t he memory upgrade for the slot on top that u can buy...that was another load of shit