View Full Version : Will Patty start this season, tbh?

ElNono
09-12-2017, 07:24 PM
Is Tony on track to start the season? Does that matter at all when it comes to MVPaddy starting, tbh?

TheGreatYacht
09-12-2017, 07:30 PM
MVParker moving to the bench MIGHT be enough to make up for our best bench player, Simmons, leaving. Again, MIGHT.

A bench of MVPau, MVHead, BP3, Forbes, MVParker :wow

Cklbmk
09-12-2017, 07:49 PM
MVParker moving to the bench MIGHT be enough to make up for our best bench player, Simmons, leaving. Again, MIGHT.

More like Pau/Bertans/Anderson/Murray(or Manu)/Parker

Seventyniner
09-12-2017, 07:58 PM
No way Parker is healthy for opening night. I think Murray starts and Patty keeps coming off the bench until Tony is ready, then Tony starts and Murray gets spot minutes at the 1 or 2 unless Parker is resting.

TheGreatYacht
09-12-2017, 08:36 PM
More like Pau/Bertans/Anderson/Murray/Parker
I like it :tu

FkLA
09-12-2017, 08:45 PM
Any chance Porker just retires?

TheDoctor
09-12-2017, 10:15 PM
Will Patty start this season, tbh?

:vomit:

Mikeanaro
09-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Doubt it, Patty is second unit material.

SAGirl
09-12-2017, 11:51 PM
I'd like to say no, Dejounte starts, but we haven't seen Dejounte lately, and last time we saw him he wasn't balling well enough. Hopefully he's put in time to make himself better. Otherwise we might see a revolving door of Pops trying all if his fresh faced guards, or he will call back Andre Miller :lol

tbdog
09-12-2017, 11:59 PM
I just thought that Patty with Kyle Anderson starting is a good mix. If Murray starts, then I think Bertans needs too instead of Anderson. I think Leonard will get a chunch of minutes at the 2 this year with Ruby playing the 3 and 4. I dare say if Green goes down with an injury, Ruby starts at the 3.

TimDunkem
09-13-2017, 01:42 AM
Ruby

Spurtacular
09-13-2017, 02:19 AM
Murray will get the job to start the season. After he has a five or six game stretch shooting about 29 FG%, Patty will be moved into the starting lineup, tbh.

dabom
09-13-2017, 03:43 AM
He'll be our starter for the playoffs.

spurs10
09-13-2017, 05:19 AM
As there is no sign Tony is there to start the season, I'm guessing Mills, but Pop might want continuity and start Murray for now. I'm thinking Mills starts along with Green, Kawhi, Gasoline, LMA ...only to insert Gay eventually to close

benefactor
09-13-2017, 06:29 AM
Hopefully tbh

Brazil
09-13-2017, 07:26 AM

:lol tbh..

Brazil
09-13-2017, 07:26 AM

:lol no, not a chance

Fireball
09-13-2017, 09:15 AM
I hope Murray starts as long as Parker is out ... rather have Murrays deficits covered up in the starting five and Patty in his known role firing off the bench

Dex
09-13-2017, 10:03 AM
I hope Murray starts as long as Parker is out ... rather have Murrays deficits covered up in the starting five and Patty in his known role firing off the bench

This. Patty won't get his shots in the SL, and his offense is his greatest strength. He's spend most of the game deferring to LMA/Gay/Kawhi, and we won't have anybody scoring off the bench.

mookie2001
09-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Mills has peaked. When you've peaked that means you've been "exposed"

rastaspur
09-13-2017, 10:25 AM
Not sure of how pop is gearing the offense. Based on the current personnel on the roster and the ability to space the floor and most players except aldridge and green can pass and dribble, we might see patty starting with Kawhi doing most of the ball handling.

The other options are starting murray. The pros are if he starts out alright it will build confidence in himself and confidence and the trust of pop. Cons are if he flops pop is going to have no faith in him to start the season and then his rotations get all weird for the first few months of the season.

He's not ready to start day in and out in my opnion. I say roll with patty, token start manu or forbes.

Forbes d I'd awful, but he should theoretically get alot of spacing aND might light it up offensively as an off the ball scoring option. Higher reward and less risk with this expirement. If forbes swims then that's great. If not, no big deal. Any positive production out of forbes is icing on the cake. No draft pick invested in him and can cut ties quickly with forbes.

If forbes sucks then pull him. If murray sucks then that would be a bigger long term issue.

Chinook
09-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Would think Pop's going into camp planning on Murray/Green/Leonard/Gay/Aldridge. The logical result of that is likely that Murray is still bad at spotting up and is pushed to the second unit for Patty. But a number of things can happen, whether it be Pau starting next to LMA, Gay going to the bench, Green going there, or someone like Derrick White showing enough for Pop to give him the starting nod. Kyle's Understudy may have been brought in to replace Green eventually as the starting two, but his age and game make him an intriguing fit for a spot that should go to a player who can spot up but also score off the dribble.

superbigtime
09-13-2017, 11:06 AM
I think Murray will be better than a lot of people here are anticipating.

SAGirl
09-13-2017, 11:16 AM
^ Yes. I have discounted White bc he's a rookie, but in reality he's older than Dejounte is and can shoot, or at least he shot well in college. We really don't know if he'll be good enough in a small role to be serviceable early in the season. It is a big adjustment to play in the NBA coming from college and it tends to be tough on all rookies to make the adjustment except for the really exceptional players.

In reality, minutes are up for grabs (whether starting or not) and might be Dejountes to lose to begin with. Aside from shooting, what gives me pause with Dejounte is his unsteadiness taking care of the ball. He is so young however, that I do expect him to have a better season than last one. It would be a red flag I think if he's not improved... not the end of his career but one expects improvement in the basics from young players like him. Anyways, I think when he's on his game he's so disruptive on defense that the SL with him could be awesome.... but that is the best case scenario. The worst case scenario (for him), he looks like he did in summer league and Forbes and White snatch his minutes.

Dex
09-13-2017, 11:57 AM
I think Murray will be better than a lot of people here are anticipating.

I sure hope so. He pretty much looked like dogshit in the Summer League games he actually played in. I'm still wondering if he was fully healthy considering his performance and limited minutes.

That being said, it's much easier to shine when you are surrounded by guys like Kawhi and Aldridge in a system than it is when you are trying to carry a bunch of DLeague scrubs playing glorified pickup ball.

Hopefully he will look more like the player we got to see in the playoffs come the start of the season.

Laughing Gravy
09-13-2017, 12:58 PM
The Joint will start opening day.

TD 21
09-13-2017, 04:44 PM
If Murray is unplayable, badly outplayed by Forbes or White or gets injured, Mills could temporarily start while Parker is out.

Either way, expect his minutes to be elevated to roughly 26-28 per game and him to generally finish close games, along with Green, Leonard, Gay and Aldridge.

look_at_g_shred
09-13-2017, 04:49 PM
Cautiously excited for BP3 and White off the bench

MultiTroll
09-14-2017, 09:52 AM
Reasons why Patty may not start
:pop: Not over 30 yet
:pop: Declining, but not enough yet. Needs a couple more seasons of declining and aging.

Reasons Patty may start
:pop: massively overpaid
:pop: shoulder injury may have hastened decline enough to justify
:pop: more time may be needed to cockblock Murray / screw up Murrays progress by forcing more "Be like CPO" agenda

Chinook
09-14-2017, 10:27 AM
Cautiously excited for BP3 and White off the bench

Why? They aren't currently slated to get a second of normal rotation time.

Chinook
09-14-2017, 10:37 AM
On paper, White is exactly the type of guy you'd want starting:

Good defender (All Pac-12 Second-Team D I think)
Good shooter (40 percent from three his senior year)
Can penetrate/get his own shot
Decent passer (five assists per 36 last year)
Good intangibles (used to overcoming long odds and being tossed into unfamiliar situations; older and likely more mature than the average rookie).
Good rebounder for a PG (five per 36 last year)

It you could give this report about Murray, we'd all be feeling great. DeJounte has length and some athleticism over Derrick as well as a year in the system. But I wouldn't be quick to dismiss White beating him out. The Spurs had to like Derrick for a reason, after all.

RD2191
09-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Gawd, I hope not. Mills is garbage.

Amuseddaysleeper
09-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Wow, our bench looks mediocre on paper

TimDunkem
09-14-2017, 01:36 PM
Wow, our bench looks mediocre on paper
Our best bench player (assuming Gay doesn't start or isn't what he used to be) will be 40 year old Manu.

How sad...

SAGirl
09-14-2017, 02:14 PM
On paper, White is exactly the type of guy you'd want starting:

Good defender (All Pac-12 Second-Team D I think)
Good shooter (40 percent from three his senior year)
Can penetrate/get his own shot
Decent passer (five assists per 36 last year)
Good intangibles (used to overcoming long odds and being tossed into unfamiliar situations; older and likely more mature than the average rookie).
Good rebounder for a PG (five per 36 last year)

It you could give this report about Murray, we'd all be feeling great. DeJounte has length and some athleticism over Derrick as well as a year in the system. But I wouldn't be quick to dismiss White beating him out. The Spurs had to like Derrick for a reason, after all.
Dejounte looked so bad in summer league that even the guards in that team who aren't in the NBA looked better. He should be freaking ashamed. JSimms was all star caliber next to the atrocity Dejounte laid on Vegas.

Not enough is being said about it bc he's black (don't understand the racial fixation in this forum from some guys and don't care either but it's an issue for many posters), and I guess he doesn't have a fat head so guys can't comment about it, but he was awful. Just horrible, one of the worst summer league players in fact by any metric. Out of like 410 Dijon was 404 or something. Pitiful.

As I said it wasn't just the shooting. I am going to disregard that completely reminding myself of George Hill terrible summer league back then too and assume Dijon will have it easy with better players than himself commanding more attention. If he cannot get his ballhandling to be better and more careful taking care of the ball, he will find himself on Pops doghouse. He better come back improved or he is going to find himself back in the dleague getting over himself first.

White being picked up might be Manu backup plan, Danny tarde or offseason opt out back up plan, or even Dejounte busting hard backup plan. Spurs guard situation is so rickety and unknowns that picking up White wasn't enough for Pop. They got BPaul and about 2 more guards (one as a 2 way contract just in case)...
Just you wait bc Pop is also going to play Slowmo as the sloth 6'9" lanky guard ( :lol that bit is a joke, I hope he's played at the position he's best at and Pops stops the shenanigans)...

Chinook
09-14-2017, 02:24 PM
Not enough is being said about it bc he's black

:wow:depressed

apalisoc_9
09-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Dejounte looked so bad in summer league that even the guards in that team who aren't in the NBA looked better. He should be freaking ashamed. JSimms was all star caliber next to the atrocity Dejounte laid on Vegas.

Not enough is being said about it bc he's black (don't understand the racial fixation in this forum from some guys and don't care either but it's an issue for many posters), and I guess he doesn't have a fat head so guys can't comment about it, but he was awful. Just horrible, one of the worst summer league players in fact by any metric. Out of like 410 Dijon was 404 or something. Pitiful.

As I said it wasn't just the shooting. I am going to disregard that completely reminding myself of George Hill terrible summer league back then too and assume Dijon will have it easy with better players than himself commanding more attention. If he cannot get his ballhandling to be better and more careful taking care of the ball, he will find himself on Pops doghouse. He better come back improved or he is going to find himself back in the dleague getting over himself first.

White being picked up might be Manu backup plan, Danny tarde or offseason opt out back up plan, or even Dejounte busting hard backup plan. Spurs guard situation is so rickety and unknowns that picking up White wasn't enough for Pop. They got BPaul and about 2 more guards (one as a 2 way contract just in case)...
Just you wait bc Pop is also going to play Slowmo as the sloth 6'9" lanky guard ( :lol that bit is a joke, I hope he's played at the position he's best at and Pops stops the shenanigans)...

http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/5I5s8.png

Very dissapointed

SAGirl
09-14-2017, 02:36 PM
:wow:depressed
:lol I mean surely if he was white his fate as not NBA material would have been proclaimed on draft night around here.

SAGirl
09-14-2017, 02:40 PM

Very dissapointed
I am just saying... Dejounte is going to get an opportunity here. He better com back better, otherwise he's going to need some humbling. For a guy who has yet to achieve anything at the NBA level he has a high ego. It's fine if he comes in this season and blows us away with his potential greatness. I would like nothing better, but if he comes in as one of the worst guards in the league... what can you do if you are Pop? Think about it. You draft the best guard you can and then you scour the summer league for any better and sign him. Then you feature Forbes to see if he can instead help the team next season and not done with that you sign London Perrantes who schooled Dejounte in summer league and stole a game the team had already won from him, and just then in case sign another guard to a 2 way contract...

apalisoc_9
09-14-2017, 02:43 PM
:lol I mean surely if he was white his fate as not NBA material would have been proclaimed on draft night around here.

TheGreatYacht
09-14-2017, 03:31 PM
I was starting to get excited about the season, until I saw this thread again.

RD2191
09-14-2017, 10:47 PM

:lol

Brazil
09-15-2017, 06:46 AM

:lol

my nigg' the great

cutewizard
09-15-2017, 07:07 AM
:bobo

8FOR!3
09-15-2017, 08:15 AM
Not really concerned with who starts. You could have Kyle start and see how he handles the PG position in the NBA and if he excels or is very average. Bryn Forbes would probably be my personal favorite but with either of those guys you'd have to be winning games to even stick with it for a decent amount of time. Derrick White probably sees little to no minutes this season but I wouldn't mind starting him either bc it'd build his confidence and it's only a temporary thing. Again, it'd have to be on a pretty short leash. Murray has started some games but he's been very hit or miss, that's why I think Patty is most likely to start. He's going to be the guy Pop's most confident in bc he's a known commodity. And honestly it's probably not a dumb move. Starting some scrub which any of the other guys MIGHT be could cost us to lose games we have no business losing. Patty's been on the team a while and while he is what he is at this point he won't be overwhelmed and knows how to play with this team. If Kawhi is going to be handling the ball 90% of the time with the starting group then a shooting PG is ideal. Would prefer a more natural ball handler playing PG with that starting unit though to move the ball better, that's why I suggested Kyle.

DMC
09-17-2017, 11:44 AM
I think Patty gets the start if Tony cannot simply because Patty understands the offense. Murray will get a lot of backup minutes though and Tony will be waiting for him on the bench to chastise him any time he returns to the pine.

TimDunkem
09-17-2017, 02:34 PM
Murray will start so the bench isn't complete dogshit. If he bombs then Mills will take his spot until TP returns.

dabom
04-08-2018, 03:02 AM

:wow

ElNono
04-08-2018, 03:11 AM

:lol damn, TGY giving kudos to Pau, Forbes, BP3 and Kyle! :wow

solid bump, tbh

dabom
04-08-2018, 03:17 AM
:lol damn, TGY giving kudos to Pau, Forbes, BP3 and Kyle and porker! :wow

solid bump, tbh

:lmao

Brunodf
04-08-2018, 09:50 AM
He or KA should be benched for Rudy tbh

tbdog
04-08-2018, 12:33 PM
KA is a good starter. He a glue guy. Doesn't need his numbered called. In fact I very much believe he wouldn't' have a single play for him. If he can develop a 40% from the corner shot, I think he would be a starter for years to come.