PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay: I’m a Spur & I’m a Spur for life.

Dex
09-14-2017, 02:22 PM
"If I’m a 6th man, I’m going to be the best 6th man in the league. If I’m a starter, I’m going to try and be one of the best SF's in the league. Why wouldn’t I have something to prove? It’s the Spurs & it’s a championship mentality. I’m a Spur & I’m a Spur for life.”

Read more: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/article/Gay-out-to-prove-more-while-helping-Spurs-win-12195736.php?t=87870719ad2d8b6391&cmpid=twitter-premium

Proxy
09-14-2017, 02:27 PM
he's already over himself

apalisoc_9
09-14-2017, 02:32 PM
He's got a good idea of what he's roles going to be.

Yesterday i get the vibe he expected to play off the bench and play tons of 4.

TheGreatYacht
09-14-2017, 02:47 PM
Buttering up PATFO into making him their next overpaid TOSB. I see you :lol

Baam
09-14-2017, 02:56 PM
What a quote :toast

Now if a girl says it's for life after the first date, you'd think she's crazy, but then again sometime crazy is good. Crazy beats boring at least.

Play Boban
09-14-2017, 02:57 PM
I'll give him half a season, tops, tbh.

Play Boban
09-14-2017, 02:58 PM

:wow

mookie2001
09-14-2017, 03:27 PM
Better learn to get fouled on jumpers and 3s. AKA pro basketball's number 1 strategy.

SAGirl
09-14-2017, 03:29 PM
What a quote :toast

Now if a girl says it's for life after the first date, you'd think she's crazy, but then again sometime crazy is good. Crazy beats boring at least.
:lol I thought well at least he has the mentality to give it his all. Dude sure knows how to rally. Definitely likeable. As you said, it might be too early to say that so it's kind of weird :lol
Edit: I actually read the comment from RC saying he was their priority. It's good for the team they were able to get who they wanted.

8FOR!3
09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Wonder what always held this guy back? The talent and production is there and he's always had the right attitude. Yet at the same time teams have seemed to play better at times without him. Although he was also known for being a clutch shooter in Memphis. I'd like to hear other teams fans takes on him.

UZER
09-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Until he votes for Trump.

Dex
09-14-2017, 06:34 PM
Wonder what always held this guy back? The talent and production is there and he's always had the right attitude. Yet at the same time teams have seemed to play better at times without him. Although he was also known for being a clutch shooter in Memphis. I'd like to hear other teams fans takes on him.

The general consensus on reddit is that he has just been a good player stuck on bad teams. He was with Toronto before they got decent, Memphis when they were a middling team, and stuck in SAC for the past three years, a place Gay himself called "basketball hell".

Aside from that, he's historically a high-volume, low-efficiency scorer, but also one of the most clutch players in the game when it comes down to it. He's just always been expected to be a #1 option and that may not be the right role for him.

If he can stay healthy, I am confident he can shine in Pop's system. Kawhi and LMA will take some attention off of him which should open up his game even more, and he can help carry some of the scoring load...something that was sorely missing at times last season.

Leetonidas
09-14-2017, 06:52 PM
This dude has always had talent. Most critiques of his game are usually that he is a black hole iso chucker who prefers step back long twos (sound familiar:lol) but it seems like he realizes how he is perceived around the league and is ready to just buy in to the system and win. If the Achilles injury didn't completely fuck him up he is going to be a huge piece next season just wait ...

UZER
09-14-2017, 06:56 PM
This dude has always had talent. Most critiques of his game are usually that he is a black hole iso chucker who prefers step back long twos (sound familiar:lol) but it seems like he realizes how he is perceived around the league and is ready to just buy in to the system and win. If the Achilles injury didn't completely fuck him up he is going to be a huge piece next season just wait ...

Meanwhile, Aldridge is still grumpy about touches. Hopefully he can rub off on Aldridge.

TimDunkem
09-14-2017, 07:39 PM
Also didn't help Gay's image to be a 2nd option at best playing as the 1st option on bad teams, or being on teams where his skillset was redundant like the Raptors with DeRozan.

Chucho
09-14-2017, 07:43 PM
LOL, never change hipster contrarians.

09-14-2017, 08:29 PM
4D chess

ElNono
09-14-2017, 08:36 PM
Can we give this guys a lifetime achievement contract-extension, tbh?

:pop: Sure...

spurs10
09-14-2017, 08:41 PM
What jumped out to me was he said if he wa a starter then he wanted to be the best SF he could be. With Kawhi being our starting SF I wonder did mean that we'd actually be playing two SF's if he starts. Technically if he plays with Kawhi he'd need to be a small ball 4.

YGWHI
09-14-2017, 08:55 PM
Meanwhile, Aldridge is still grumpy about touches. Hopefully he can rub off on Aldridge.

If a player wants success, he has to pay a high price for playing in San Antonio.

KD last season and IT Irving Jimmy Butler Paul George this season, will maintain their ppg after joining a team with other top players. Mostly because GSW, Cavs, OKC pace will allow them to do it

But with the Spurs is a whole different history. When was the last time we have two players averaging +20 ppg in the same season?

Who knows but it seemed like LMA was fine with that, he seemed comfortable for having bought into the system, but when he saw other stars kept their numbers after joining talented teams, he felt cheated by Pop's system.

Players have to renounce too many thing if they want to play in SA, endorsements, stats, media attention, All-Star spots...Spurs' way is not for everyone.

UZER
09-14-2017, 09:45 PM
If a player wants success, he has to pay a high price for playing in San Antonio.

KD last season and IT Irving Jimmy Butler Paul George this season, will maintain their ppg after joining a team with other top players. Mostly because GSW, Cavs, OKC pace will allow them to do it

But with the Spurs is a whole different history. When was the last time we have two players averaging +20 ppg in the same season?

Who knows but it seemed like LMA was fine with that, he seemed comfortable for having bought into the system, but when he saw other stars kept their numbers after joining talented teams, he felt cheated by Pop's system.

Players have to renounce too many thing if they want to play in SA, endorsements, stats, media attention, All-Star spots...Spurs' way is not for everyone.

Yup. Pop

sananspursfan21
09-14-2017, 10:02 PM
First good team he's ever played on so....

DMC
09-14-2017, 10:06 PM
Doubt he'll play 40 games.

DMC
09-14-2017, 10:09 PM

Not true. LMA wanted to play further from the basket, Pop wanted to make him a center. LMA isn't a "take charge of the game" guy. He's always had a PG or SG who can do that and he's been good enough with his short range jumper to cause problems (but not many). He had higher stats, sure, but if you think he didn't know his stats would decline in SA, you're fooling yourself.

All that said, he still made it further than he's ever made it in the NBA last season. Who should be ashamed is Houston. Funny how CP3 bolted to that shithole right after they had one of the most embarrassing home losses of all time (no one seems to mention it though). It's right up Paul's alley to fold when you should win.

YGWHI
09-14-2017, 10:24 PM
He had higher stats, sure, but if you think he didn't know his stats would decline in SA, you're fooling yourself.

I said that at some point he accepted the new role but also said things changed after he saw how other stars had success and even kept their numbers on more talented rosters.

I guess in his mind he thought those players didnt have to sacrifice that much to win.

I'm not talking about him as a player because I have always been critical of his game and playoffs performances, I'm just trying to know how he was dealing with this situation, trying to figure out what happened to him in two years in SA.

YGWHI
09-14-2017, 10:45 PM
Remember when Ime told LMA Spurs/Pop didnt want him to average just 17 ppg? Didn't want change him? I wonder if that meant "play Center" "forget of your annoying long-two... "

So I was like, ‘Maybe I’m not a Spur, because I’ve been averaging 23 (points per game) for the last three to four years, and maybe I don’t fit into y’all’s system of ‘let’s all average 17 (points per game).’ And he was like, ‘No, we’re not trying to change who you are and make you average 16 or 17. We want you to be you, because you’re going to help us be better and vice versa.’

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-udoka-helped-spurs-land-aldridge/

ducks
09-14-2017, 10:51 PM

Yes trump would make him miss shots
Just like pop licking clintons tits make him a good or bad coach

UZER
09-14-2017, 11:42 PM
Yes trump would make him miss shots
Just like pop licking clintons tits make him a good or bad coach

No dumbass. I'm saying Rudy gay is a "Spur for life" until he votes for Trump and Pop cuts him loose, like Dedmon.

cutewizard
09-15-2017, 05:04 AM
:bobo

SAGirl
09-15-2017, 06:03 AM
What jumped out to me was he said if he wa a starter then he wanted to be the best SF he could be. With Kawhi being our starting SF I wonder did mean that we'd actually be playing two SF's if he starts. Technically if he plays with Kawhi he'd need to be a small ball 4.
Good observation. Perhaps Danny is going to the bench Or he was just incoherent. His Spurs for life comment makes the interview kind of suspect. Did he have a few glasses of wine with Pop b4 that interview?

SAGirl
09-15-2017, 06:05 AM

hmmm Spurs standing pat next offseason too except maybe some young players moving on. Every season for the past 3 years I hope they add a star guard but they don't. Next season maybe. Otherwise it already looks like standing pat.

SAGirl
09-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Remember when Ime told LMA Spurs/Pop didnt want him to average just 17 ppg? Didn't want change him? I wonder if that meant "play Center" "forget of your annoying long-two... "

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-pm-udoka-helped-spurs-land-aldridge/
Funny how dismissive he was of averaging 17 like that was bad or nothing. Gasol's original signing seemed suspect to me at the time. He is an offensive skilled big and would inevitably take shots from LMA and that he did. It might have influenced him going to the bench.

DMC
09-15-2017, 07:36 AM
I said that at some point he accepted the new role but also said things changed after he saw how other stars had success and even kept their numbers on more talented rosters.

I guess in his mind he thought those players didnt have to sacrifice that much to win.

I'm not talking about him as a player because I have always been critical of his game and playoffs performances, I'm just trying to know how he was dealing with this situation, trying to figure out what happened to him in two years in SA.

Those other players haven't won, other than KD.

DMC
09-15-2017, 07:39 AM
hmmm Spurs standing pat next offseason too except maybe some young players moving on. Every season for the past 3 years I hope they add a star guard but they don't. Next season maybe. Otherwise it already looks like standing pat.

They will continue doing this until Pop retires and the "playoff streak" ends. The smaller market and lack of direct flights to SA means they aren't going to suddenly become the desired destination of big names. They just have to make hay while the sun is shining.

SAGirl
09-15-2017, 08:10 AM
They will continue doing this until Pop retires and the "playoff streak" ends. The smaller market and lack of direct flights to SA means they aren't going to suddenly become the desired destination of big names. They just have to make hay while the sun is shining.
I agree. A gal can hope. Might be no different than hoping one of their recent guards turns into a good enough player to not have to pursue a guard in FA... again, I can hope. :bobo

SASdynasty!
09-15-2017, 08:37 AM

Not until he sweeps Lebron as FMVP, carries us to another title, and becomes the winningest player ever in the NBA.

szkorhetz
09-15-2017, 08:45 AM
he's already over himself

wildbill2u
09-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Didn't Aldridge say a lot of the same type of things when he was first signed (Spur for life, love the Spurs way, etc)

dbestpro
09-15-2017, 11:10 AM
"If I’m a 6th man, I’m going to be the best 6th man in the league. If I’m a starter, I’m going to try and be one of the best SF's in the league. Why wouldn’t I have something to prove? It’s the Spurs & it’s a championship mentality. I’m a Spur & I’m a Spur for life.”

Read more: http://www.expressnews.com/sports/article/Gay-out-to-prove-more-while-helping-Spurs-win-12195736.php?t=87870719ad2d8b6391&cmpid=twitter-premium
My read into this is that he is going to play SF with Leonard moving to SG for more minutes, not PF like many suggest. Green will be a situational defensive replacement. Manu will play more PG minutes, or inserted to give the tam a shot of energy.

Dex
09-15-2017, 11:27 AM
My read into this is that he is going to play SF with Leonard moving to SG for more minutes, not PF like many suggest. Green will be a situational defensive replacement. Manu will play more PG minutes, or inserted to give the tam a shot of energy.

You could be right, but I personally don't see Green losing a lot of minutes. Pop loves his defense, and he also stretches the floor for Kawhi and Aldridge.

I think we will see lots of line ups with Green/Kawhi/Gay/LMA, with Rudy and Kawhi pretty much being interchangeable at the 3/4. They can both play each spot against most lineups, especially with the smaller, faster lineups that we have to worry about.

Chinook
09-15-2017, 11:40 AM

I think it could be a Duncan-like thing where Gay plays the four but calls himself a three for no reason whatsoever. Kawhi can obviously play the two, but Gay coming off injury, Aldridge and Gasol makes for a very shaky front court.

SAGirl
09-15-2017, 12:32 PM
I think it could be a Duncan-like thing where Gay plays the four but calls himself a three for no reason whatsoever. Kawhi can obviously play the two, but Gay coming off injury, Aldridge and Gasol makes for a very shaky front court.
It's not just the abilities of the 3 combined, it's also that they just didn't sign enough traditional bigs to play big as much as they did last season. It's speculation but they lost 3 rotation players and among them 2 bigs. They must aim to play a lot more "small" and that's even counting Davis as a big which he was last season.

It could be a misnomer which doesn't have any significance. Even with that misnomer ignored it sounds like they sold him in a variety of lineups and possibilities clearly including some bench minutes or he wouldn't have mentioned it. But it sure doesn't sound like he knows for sure where he will fit best which to me makes perfect sense (for the player it can be fuzzy but Pop ought to know how he intends to play). It also makes me wonder if there's legit competition for him to not start or that's just a misnomer too.

I think he went to lunch with Pop and had a few too many wines. :lol

ernest787
09-15-2017, 12:44 PM
The offseason is funny with everyone taking anything that is said and trying to turn it into some major story.

Sounds like the dude is being smart. He had a serious injury and there are a lot of questions regarding his health and future. Spurs signed him to a deal and are giving him a shot and he's coming out and saying that is he is stoked on the opportunity, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I'm not looking much into what he said about the 3 position or the 6th man role. The Spurs have a history of moving starting caliber players into the 6th man role (Manu, Gasol, RJ). Seems he is just saying he is comfortable doing whatever he is going to be asked to do b/c he wants to win.

jyra
09-15-2017, 12:47 PM

He was specifically asked about playing the 4, not sure why that part wasn't mentioned in the article:

Starting at 2:30:

How much 4 have you played in your career?

I played a lot, in the USAB (national team), tinkered with it in the NBA a couple of times. Not just with George Karl but before that. I think the way basketball is going now is positionless basketball. I just want to go out there and be myself and if that's playing the 4 or being at the 4, it is what it is.

Sounds good to me.

SAGirl
09-15-2017, 01:55 PM
I could see Pop starting Gasol and LMA for two reasons:
Gasol got paid handsomely, Pop ought to maximize his production specially for the minutes he will play if they are carefully managed.
2. The second reason would be to appease Aldridge and his not wanting to be a center game. He would still play center some but not entire games obviously and starting Gasol preserves the appearance that LMA is mostly a P

It would still mean Rudy playing a lot of minutes if physically he can handle it etc. He may play some st the 3 both backing up Kawhi at times, and to close games with a Kawhi at the two.
The uncertainties with the guards rotation also factors in for him I think. To start the season the SL may need more help than the bench.

TheDoctor
09-15-2017, 03:38 PM
...and he also stretches the floor for Kawhi and Aldridge.
:lmao

TD 21
09-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Unlike West and Lee, I thought all along that Gay could be a semi long term addition, but saying you're a (insert team) for life before playing a game is a strange statement.

It's not just the abilities of the 3 combined, it's also that they just didn't sign enough traditional bigs to play big as much as they did last season. It's speculation but they lost 3 rotation players and among them 2 bigs. They must aim to play a lot more "small" and that's even counting Davis as a big which he was last season.

1. Gasol got paid handsomely, Pop ought to maximize his production specially for the minutes he will play if they are carefully managed.
2. The second reason would be to appease Aldridge and his not wanting to be a center game. He would still play center some but not entire games obviously and starting Gasol preserves the appearance that LMA is mostly a PF.

:tu

Sometimes it has to do with physical toll, but mostly players don't want to move up a position because they view it as a shot at their skill level (obviously an outdated mindset). In Duncan's case, he never actually complained about playing C so much as he just didn't want to be referred to as such.

He may play some st the 3 both backing up Kawhi at times, and to close games with a Kawhi at the two.

For about a half decade now, teams have generally prioritized 3-point shooting and defensive versatility when it comes to closing close games and those two things describe Green in a nutshell. He's a lock to continue to generally close tight games and when he doesn't, it'll be Ginobili in his stead; not Leonard sliding down and them playing a huge lineup. Gay will likely generally close tight games too, but as a PF.

apalisoc_9
09-15-2017, 03:57 PM
Unlike West and Lee, I thought all along that Gay could be a semi long term addition, but saying you're a (insert team) for life before playing a game is a strange statement.

Sometimes it has to do with physical toll, but mostly players don't want to move up a position because they view it as a shot at their skill level (obviously an outdated mindset). In Duncan's case, he never actually complained about playing C so much as he just didn't want to be referred to as such.

For about a half decade now, teams have generally prioritized 3-point shooting and defensive versatility when it comes to closing close games and those two things describe Green in a nutshell. He's a lock to continue to generally close tight games and when he doesn't, it'll be Ginobili in his stead; not Leonard sliding down and them playing a huge lineup. Gay will likely generally close tight games too, but as a PF.

It's SA girl boytoy that's losing potential relevant minutes here.

I thought before the Gay aquistion, Anderson had an opportunity to possibly prove himself in pre-season and early season as a legetimate 4..

With Gay, I am even more convinced now that they're changing the offensive structure something I said even before the start of the playoffs last year. The spurs just don't make significant structural changes like that without time to prepare, but the playffs and the second half of the season proved how effective the spurs were playing a stretch player. It doesn't even matter if Anderson was neccwarily a stretch, it's just the fact that he'd be less prone to getting killed in the PnR and is a bigger threat in the drive.

I suspect they were already tempted to make big changes even during the season last year but they opted to play stretch players only in stretches but they def played more stretch ball in the second half of the season and certainly the playoffs.

apalisoc_9
09-15-2017, 04:00 PM
The only worry I have about this new offense and I am positive the Spurs are going to tweak their offense..The Spurs don't have enough ball handlers. How are you going to offensively take full of advantage of a stretch offense without a serious number of ball handlers or at the very least playmakers?

Another reason why I strongly belief we will be seeing a signficant increase in kawhi handling the ball more because we know he's the only legtimate attacker right now..Maybe Murray...but still

TimDunkem
09-15-2017, 04:08 PM
The only worry I have about this new offense and I am positive the Spurs are going to tweak their offense..The Spurs don't have enough ball handlers. How are you going to offensively take full of advantage of a stretch offense without a serious number of ball handlers or at the very least playmakers?

Another reason why I strongly belief we will be seeing a signficant increase in kawhi handling the ball more because we know he's the only legtimate attacker right now..Maybe Murray...but still
You're right here, imo.

This is why Kawhi's chance of winning MVP have gone up substantially this year. The league is in a place now where versatile, 3point shooting, ball-handlers win you games. Kawhi, a one-legged Tony, and a 40 year old Manu are the only players we have that more or less fit that mold.

The only reason this poorly constructed Spurs team won't be a middle of the pack fringe playoff team is because Kawhi will be handling the ball, dominating on offense on one end, and dominating the other on defense. He IS the Spurs now.

apalisoc_9
09-15-2017, 04:14 PM
I think gay going to be able to help more than we anticpate. If he can still attack the rim of the catch as good as he did before injury, he's going to be extremelty valuable

TimDunkem
09-15-2017, 04:18 PM
I think gay going to be able to help more than we anticpate. If he can still attack the rim of the catch as good as he did before injury, he's going to be extremelty valuable
No doubt. I'm really hoping this can be one of the rare instances where a guy bounces back from an achilles injury. The Spurs need a healthy Rudy, tbh.

bklynspursfan
09-15-2017, 06:17 PM
I could see Pop starting Gasol and LMA for two reasons:
Gasol got paid handsomely, Pop ought to maximize his production specially for the minutes he will play if they are carefully managed.
2. The second reason would be to appease Aldridge and his not wanting to be a center game. He would still play center some but not entire games obviously and starting Gasol preserves the appearance that LMA is mostly a P

It would still mean Rudy playing a lot of minutes if physically he can handle it etc. He may play some st the 3 both backing up Kawhi at times, and to close games with a Kawhi at the two.
The uncertainties with the guards rotation also factors in for him I think. To start the season the SL may need more help than the bench.

U remember that story that came out about Pop/LMA meeting at restaurant and LMA leaving the meeting looking "unhappy"? I know there was lots of speculation on that. I wonder if it was to let him know he'd have to play more 5, especially since RC mentioned they had a lot of interest in Gay early.

I personally like Pau off the bench more, I feel like he'd get to work in the post more, and hopefully continue that hot 3 point shooting. He'd be a mismatch for many opposing 2nd units

SAGirl
09-15-2017, 06:45 PM

Well they certainly drafted guards 2 seasons in a row and have added others undrafted. At least they are looking. That still supports your theory which I think is sound.. Tony is allegedly ahead of schedule so it will be interesting to see how he's playing too.

apalisoc_9
09-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Not gonna lie though, Gay has always been a tough player to coach. Lots of bad tendencies offensively, even as a kings with Cousins as a clear cut number one player. We will see though.

ginobilized
09-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Seems like a good place to start. Rudy could add a lot to the team on both ends.
He is a highly skilled offensive player. I have seen him play live several times and Kawhi has had difficulty stopping him.
This will put extra pressure on defenses and mean that KD and Klay each have to play some D. It is basically like having 2 Tracy McGadys with Kawhi and Gay. It's tough enough to stop 1 of them.
I hope Gay is healthy and adjusts to the Spurs way relatively quickly. Could be the sleeper move of the summer.

Truth4sale$
09-15-2017, 08:57 PM
Maybe , Rudy Gay sees this as his only chance to have a shot at a ring, while being able to contribute significantly. Sure he could have signed for the minimum with Golden State, Cleveland and even Houston but all would be at the minimum and he would be 4th option at best, with very limited minutes. Also, nobody was knocking at the door for his services. Maybe he is humble and hungry and wants to reward the Spurs for believing in him, and he sees himself as the #2 over LMA, that Kawhi needs.

lefty
09-15-2017, 11:18 PM
Also Gay for life tbh

DMX7
09-15-2017, 11:53 PM
Better learn to get fouled on jumpers and 3s. AKA pro basketball's number 1 strategy.

Mookie, how stoked are you for Saturday night's game???

spurs10
09-16-2017, 12:14 AM
He was specifically asked about playing the 4, not sure why that part wasn't mentioned in the article:

Starting at 2:30:

Sounds good to me. And there we have it! :toast

tholdren
09-16-2017, 03:30 PM
And there we have it! :toast

Virtually proclaimed what i have been saying to you bums for years, there isnt positions anymore

TD 21
09-16-2017, 05:08 PM

I thought before the Gay aquistion, Anderson had an opportunity to possibly prove himself in pre-season and early season as a legetimate 4..

With Gay, I am even more convinced now that they're changing the offensive structure something I said even before the start of the playoffs last year. The spurs just don't make significant structural changes like that without time to prepare, but the playffs and the second half of the season proved how effective the spurs were playing a stretch player. It doesn't even matter if Anderson was neccwarily a stretch, it's just the fact that he'd be less prone to getting killed in the PnR and is a bigger threat in the drive.

I suspect they were already tempted to make big changes even during the season last year but they opted to play stretch players only in stretches but they def played more stretch ball in the second half of the season and certainly the playoffs

Gay and Anderson will likely be the backup forward duo and the only way to be able to differentiate between the SF and PF will be who they defend. The days of him pairing with a traditional PF and playing in cramped spacing are over.

I don't think it was about lack or preparation so much as personnel. Reality was, 4 of their top 9 were bigs the past 2 seasons and for better or worse, you ultimately have to play your best players.

Spurs probably have the most ball handlers in the league, but they're all basically secondary types and almost none are play makers. Agree that Leonard likely handles more, especially if Murray falters, Mills starts and Forbes/White backs up, but they'll essentially play PG by committee. The offense could be better, but their lack of certified star power is doomed to be exposed in the playoffs.

No doubt. I'm really hoping this can be one of the rare instances where a guy bounces back from an achilles injury. The Spurs need a healthy Rudy, tbh.

He's probably got as good a chance as possible. He'll have been 9 months removed by the time the season starts, is 6'9'' and won't have a heavy burden on either side of the ball.

Seventyniner
09-16-2017, 05:52 PM
I don't think it was about lack or preparation so much as personnel. Reality was, 4 of their top 9 were bigs the past 2 seasons and for better or worse, you ultimately have to play your best players.

So the best way to not play 4 bigs is only have 3 on the roster, right?

Chucho
09-16-2017, 08:21 PM
:lol

BillMc
09-17-2017, 11:05 AM

ECOV
09-17-2017, 12:14 PM
it seems like Rudy is really looking forward to this upcoming season, cant wait to see what hes got.

cd021
09-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Something tells me that won't be an issue tbh

stxspurs
09-17-2017, 04:55 PM
am i the only one thinking ....

http://bornwiki.com/bio/rudy-gay.jpg
http://cdn.hark.com/images/000/365/602/365602/original.jpg

Yeah...u are

TimDunkem
09-17-2017, 06:30 PM
am i the only one thinking ....

http://bornwiki.com/bio/rudy-gay.jpg
http://cdn.hark.com/images/000/365/602/365602/original.jpg
Yeah. Probably the only one.

cutewizard
09-17-2017, 10:30 PM

I suspect they were already tempted to make big changes even during the season last year but they opted to play stretch players only in stretches but they def played more stretch ball in the second half of the season and certainly the playoffs.

Sir Apalisoc, do you then see more of Gay, Anderson and Bertans in the stretch four position? Coz that would explain the lack of bigs.....just a guess today

cutewizard
09-17-2017, 10:31 PM
If Stretch Four, Gay, Anderson, Bertans

Then Center, Lamarcus, Gasol, Joffrey

..???

Thoughts guys?

cutewizard
09-17-2017, 10:32 PM
By the way, can we get Wade?

Lol

spurs10
09-18-2017, 12:16 AM

..???

Thoughts guys? I think that's the hope and the only thing that makes much sense. LMA and Gasol might start, but I can't see a scenario where we don't play LMA at the 5.

SAGirl
09-18-2017, 05:20 AM

..???

Thoughts guys?
yes, I think so, but Gay, Anderson and Bertans may also play the 3 or next to each other, specially the first two who can handle the basketball. Bertans is more of an off the ball player but can play next to the other two if needed. That's important if the rookies aren't able to give consistent enough good play.

Biernutz
09-18-2017, 07:58 AM
It's nice to see a player who wants to be here and is ready to play any where he is needed.
I hope it works out because we need him to come thru for us.

MaNu4Tres
09-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Spurs are only rostering 3 traditional bigs, they did not purposely do this to start 2 of them. That makes zero sense.

I anticipate this rotation:

LA
Gay (will start season slow in minutes played: 18-24 mpg-- probably subbed out early in stints with 1st unit around the 6 minute mark of 1st/3rd qters then closing the half)
Kawhi
Green
Murray or Forbes/Mills

Gasol
Bertans
Anderson
Manu
Mills/Murray or Forbes

Brandon Paul
Joffrey

White in Austin a lot with Hillard and Costello.

TP IR

TD 21
09-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Spurs are only rostering 3 traditional bigs, they did not purposely do this to start 2 of them. That makes zero sense.

I anticipate this rotation:

LA
Gay (will start season slow in minutes played: 18-24 mpg-- probably subbed out early in stints with 1st unit around the 6 minute mark of 1st/3rd qters then closing the half)
Kawhi
Green
Murray or Forbes/Mills

Gasol
Bertans
Anderson
Manu
Mills/Murray or Forbes

Brandon Paul
Joffrey

White in Austin a lot with Hillard and Costello.

TP IR

Either way, the following will likely hold true . . .

1) Gasol and Gay will be swapped around mid 1st and 3rd quarters.

2) Aldridge and Gasol (too good and highly paid to average mid-high teens) are going to average about what they did last season, which means continuing to play together some, whether starting or not.

3) If Gasol does start, he'll still probably be the backup center. He can play the first 6 minutes, sub out for 3-4 minutes, sub back in for Aldridge for 6-8 minutes, then sub back out and they can generally close small.

NameLess Scrub
09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
Please stop saying basketball is positionless. Things have changed significantly, but it's not like you can play 5PGs at the same time. Still need point guards, wingmen and bigs.

MaNu4Tres
09-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Either way, the following will likely hold true . . .

1) Gasol and Gay will be swapped around mid 1st and 3rd quarters.

2) Aldridge and Gasol (too good and highly paid to average mid-high teens) are going to average about what they did last season, which means continuing to play together some, whether starting or not.

3) If Gasol does start, he'll still probably be the backup center. He can play the first 6 minutes, sub out for 3-4 minutes, sub back in for Aldridge for 6-8 minutes, then sub back out and they can generally close small.

1) Maybe, I don't see that happening most of the time. I think Gasols' minutes will be reduced this upcoming season.

2) They'll play together some still, but it won't be close to what it was last season.

3) Under your predicament, Gasol will see 24-28 mpg. I think that's being very optimistic. I think it will be closer to 20-24 mpg. Spurs will play smaller a lot more than they did last season. That's why they only rostered 3 traditional bigs.

YGWHI
09-19-2017, 03:39 PM
3) Under your predicament, Gasol will see 24-28 mpg. I think that's being very optimistic. I think it will be closer to 20-24 mpg. Spurs will play smaller a lot more than they did last season. That's why they only rostered 3 traditional bigs.
Which makes his contract even more tragic.

BatManu20
09-19-2017, 03:44 PM

TD 21
09-19-2017, 03:54 PM
1) Maybe, I don't see that happening most of the time. I think Gasols' minutes will be reduced this upcoming season.

2) They'll play together some still, but it won't be close to what it was last season.

1) So ostensibly, you think Anderson or Bertans will be ahead of Gasol in the rotation?

2) In the scenario I outlined, it would only be the first 6 minutes of each half. If Gasol is having a turn back the clock game and the matchups allow for it, he could occasionally close though.

3) A combination of ability, salary and to a lesser extent ego lead me to believe Gasol will be around the 25.4 mpg he averaged last season. Like YGWHI said, his contract would be even more tragic if he's closer to 20 mpg.

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-19-2017, 06:59 PM
If he can come back at full strength having him and Kawhi on the floor together with LMA will be a pretty formidable front line.

I'm praying for a full roster with no injuries next post season. I'd love one year going full strength vs GSW in a seven game series.

LittleCriminal
09-22-2017, 06:01 AM
Man, i wanna see this dude play already...

Namundy
09-22-2017, 06:11 AM
I like Rudy's overall fit but he needs to pump the brakes a bit. I doubt he is going to have the impact he thinks he will. Hoping for the best but my gut is telling me he will struggle.

bklynspursfan
09-22-2017, 08:15 AM
If he can come back at full strength having him and Kawhi on the floor together with LMA will be a pretty formidable front line.

I'm praying for a full roster with no injuries next post season. I'd love one year going full strength vs GSW in a seven game series.

+1

benfti
09-22-2017, 09:26 AM
I think you forget just how good this guy is.

cd98
09-22-2017, 09:46 AM

Man, I hope so. If Kawhi doesn't get help from him, the Spurs may be unwatchable when Kawhi goes to the bench.

Chinook
09-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Rudy and DeJounte should go on a hype tour. Or hell, just do it on Instagram and Twitter.

SAGirl
09-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Chinooks' humor is very underrated :tu :lol

TheGreatYacht
09-22-2017, 02:04 PM
Don't pat yourself in the back too hard, Chinook

TimDunkem
09-22-2017, 02:08 PM

Chinook
09-22-2017, 03:22 PM
^The Irony

tholdren
09-23-2017, 02:19 PM

No its not

09-24-2017, 10:51 AM
Gay is only a Spur for life until another team offers him a hefty contract if his Spurs stint erases doubts as to whether he can still play at the level he was prior to his achilles injury.

Ice009
09-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Has anyone posted this interview here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbRXsCOqog
I just came across it on Youtube. I think it's from just over a week ago. I don't recall seeing it posted (unless I missed it).

exstatic
09-27-2017, 08:49 PM
Gay is only a Spur for life until another team offers him a hefty contract if his Spurs stint erases doubts as to whether he can still play at the level he was prior to his achilles injury.

If money were his sole motivator, he'd be in sacto this season. He opted out of, I think, $18M to come here. He could have collected that while rehabbing and showing he's healthy.

Russo21
10-04-2017, 11:15 AM
Why would parents name their kid that? :lmao i hope he has an insane season who surprises on d and smashes it offensively and with team success for the first time in his career. With the roster we have and with the new super teams being formed we need him to bust out big time. :bobo

ace3g
10-04-2017, 06:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcrI-fJl3XA

Snaq O'Meal
10-04-2017, 09:48 PM

Post-injury Gay still looked much quicker than that other dude with the huge forehead.

ceds
10-05-2017, 01:13 AM
At this point i'm starting to think they are the same person. (SA/Chinook)

whatever the fuck is going on its clearly not the usual status quo right now

BD24
10-05-2017, 11:46 AM
Sagirl still gargling chinooks balls I see

SAGirl
10-05-2017, 11:50 AM
what do you care? seriously?
obviously your sense of humor is nowhere to be found. Maybe that is why you care. :vomit:

BD24
10-05-2017, 11:54 AM
what do you care? seriously?
obviously your sense of humor is nowhere to be found. Maybe that is why you care. :vomit:
That must be it, you got me. I am sad you don't follow me around like a lost puppy looking to me for a or on the head or what to think :lol

10-05-2017, 01:40 PM
If money were his sole motivator, he'd be in sacto this season. He opted out of, I think, $18M to come here. He could have collected that while rehabbing and showing he's healthy.

Going to SA is his way of resurrecting his career. He would have made his money in Sacto, but make no mistake,he knew that his PT would have dwindled anyhow, seeing that he would have been on a rebuilding team, changing direction, after trading away DMC.

I guarantee you if he becomes the Rudy Gay of old, a contending team will offer him a bigger payday and he won't look back.

BillMc
10-05-2017, 02:00 PM

:toast

Ace >Gene and Paul to be honest.

Brazil
10-05-2017, 02:03 PM
Post-injury Gay still looked much quicker than that other dude with the huge forehead.

:lol funny because that's actually true

Chinook
10-05-2017, 02:06 PM

Don't see you around much, Elf. At least not upstairs.

BD24
10-05-2017, 03:47 PM
Don't see you around much, Elf. At least not upstairs.
Don't post much anymore. Still lurk from time to time. The club does tend to be the most interesting sub forum though.

You and a few others still bring some good insights. Just have to wade through all of the garbage to find it

ace3g
10-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Pop said Gay will play on Friday.

hooperflash
10-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Not sure if this was already mentioned.
https://clutchpoints.com/spurs-news-rudy-gay-pushing-back-against-gregg-popovich-slowly-bringing-him-along/

“That’s just what I do,” Popovich told us. “I’m more conservative. I’m probably going to bring him along more slowly than he’s going to want to.”

Nearly nine months of rehab has passed since he underwent surgery to repair the tendon soon after his injury on Jan. 18, but Popovich insisted to be patient with his recovery and waiting until he’s 100 percent ready to go.

“We’ve already had those conversations in camp,” Gay said. “He’s trying to pull me back and I’m like, ‘No coach, I’m a basketball player. That’s what I’m here for."

bklynspursfan
10-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Not sure if this was already mentioned.
https://clutchpoints.com/spurs-news-rudy-gay-pushing-back-against-gregg-popovich-slowly-bringing-him-along/

“That’s just what I do,” Popovich told us. “I’m more conservative. I’m probably going to bring him along more slowly than he’s going to want to.”

Nearly nine months of rehab has passed since he underwent surgery to repair the tendon soon after his injury on Jan. 18, but Popovich insisted to be patient with his recovery and waiting until he’s 100 percent ready to go.

“We’ve already had those conversations in camp,” Gay said. “He’s trying to pull me back and I’m like, ‘No coach, I’m a basketball player. That’s what I’m here for."

To be expected. Everyone he's been conservative with wants to play more. Ever since TD tore his meniscus and he shut him down, he's been that way lol. Which I guess is fair to a certain degree, but if the docs say there are no limitations or anything, hopefully he loosens the reigns a bit

Spurs da champs
10-06-2017, 04:57 PM
I think he's gonna be good for this role, I'm sure he's also glad he don't have to go against Kawhi anymore. :lol

rastaspur
10-06-2017, 05:54 PM

I think Chinook and sa girl are quality posters all in all and both get alot of unfair criticism and harassment on this site.

They share that in common. That might be the common denominator or the spark of their band of brotherhood.

It doesn't have to be about gargling balls or tings of that nature

SAGirl
10-06-2017, 06:05 PM
I think Chinook and sa girl are quality posters all in all and both get alot of unfair criticism and harassment on this site.

They share that in common. That might be the common denominator or the spark of their band of brotherhood.

It doesn't have to be about gargling balls or tings of that nature
rasta with the wisdom. :toast

Ice009
10-06-2017, 11:56 PM
To be expected. Everyone he's been conservative with wants to play more. Ever since TD tore his meniscus and he shut him down, he's been that way lol. Which I guess is fair to a certain degree, but if the docs say there are no limitations or anything, hopefully he loosens the reigns a bit

Nah man, TD still played big minutes for quite a while after that.

YGWHI
10-07-2017, 12:48 AM
Rudy's dunk didn't look bad at all... :tu

bklynspursfan
10-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Nah man, TD still played big minutes for quite a while after that.

Yea but I mean it came at the end of the season and he was shut down for the playoffs. So he essentially had the whole summer "off". Had it happened early on it's possible Pop either shuts him down or brings him along at a very slow rate.

I think if Gay is fine by mid season he'll def get more minutes. I just think it'll be a bit of a process

Prose
10-07-2017, 02:52 PM

my god anybody looks quicker compared to slooooowww mo anderson, slower release than mario ellie. only the 25+ old fans will remember that

Chinook
10-19-2017, 08:37 AM
Played like it last night. Clutch, willing to pass, helped out on D. Couldn't be happier with a debut, even before getting to the injury.

Nathan89
10-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Loved what Gay showed in his first game. Can't wait till he is playing with kawhi.

SAGirl
10-19-2017, 08:47 AM
He lived to his reputation for clutch baskets too. :tu

Nathan89
10-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately Lma though he might be eating some of his lunch because he's going to a nice post option. He's strong player that can handle many more favorable matchups than lma will see. Plus he has the added advantage of being a better passer and dribbler so that opens more offense up when he gets it. Lma has been passing better though and it's a good thing he was working on his 3pt shot.

look_at_g_shred
10-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Played like it last night. Clutch, willing to pass, helped out on D. Couldn't be happier with a debut, even before getting to the injury.
I can't recall who the player was (wiggins/butler?) he helped trap baseline and it caused a turnover. That was just beautiful defensive awareness. Something we are just accustomed to seeing Green/Manu/KL do. That's what I took from last night's game.

Chinook
10-19-2017, 09:55 AM
I can't recall who the player was (wiggins/butler?) he helped trap baseline and it caused a turnover. That was just beautiful defensive awareness. Something we are just accustomed to seeing Green/Manu/KL do. That's what I took from last night's game.

He was great helping out in the paint all game. My favorite moment was his hammer play, because it was so unexpected

szkorhetz
10-19-2017, 10:03 AM
He was great helping out in the paint all game. My favorite moment was his hammer play, because it was so unexpected
I was screaming too, although the Pulps assistant coach saw it coming and turned around even before Green made the shot.

jyra
10-19-2017, 11:26 AM

Chinook
10-19-2017, 11:50 AM
Okay, that's bullshit. It was a clear hammer play when looking at the replay. Gay knew Green was going to be there. I can believe they didn't specifically practice that play, since there's not much for the passer to do beside throw the ball at the right time, but the interview makes it seem like it was just a regular post play.

Chinook
10-19-2017, 11:53 AM
I was screaming too, although the Pulps assistant coach saw it coming and turned around even before Green made the shot.

Yeah, you can tell by how LMA is standing that he was going to set the screen (which is actually what gives the play it's name). The coach kept trying to tell the defender to get other other side. I just never expected Gay to run it then.

rjv
10-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Okay, that's bullshit. It was a clear hammer play when looking at the replay. Gay knew Green was going to be there. I can believe they didn't specifically practice that play, since there's not much for the passer to do beside throw the ball at the right time, but the interview makes it seem like it was just a regular post play. who ever was doing the play-by-play specifically referred to that play as the "hammer play" (and added that it was a play the Spurs are fond of running).

Seventyniner
10-19-2017, 12:02 PM
If Gay can be the passer on the hammer play (as opposed to a guard) it will help a lot due to the Spurs' lack of driving and playmaking from the guard spots.

Chinook
10-19-2017, 12:15 PM
If Gay can be the passer on the hammer play (as opposed to a guard) it will help a lot due to the Spurs' lack of driving and playmaking from the guard spots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5sp6kKSz1s

I'd actually think of this the other way. The Spurs have been almost exclusively running the Hammer variant that starts off as a post play for a few years. Gay showing gives them another option to do that, but they are sort of hurting because they haven't been doing the other variants. Need to get Murray and his long arms on it.

hater
10-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Hes a man among boys

Steal of the sumer

spurs10
10-19-2017, 01:05 PM
Loved what Gay showed in his first game. Can't wait till he is playing with kawhi.

He lived to his reputation for clutch baskets too. :tu
:toast

Spur|n|Austin
10-19-2017, 01:12 PM
Okay, that's bullshit. It was a clear hammer play when looking at the replay. Gay knew Green was going to be there. I can believe they didn't specifically practice that play, since there's not much for the passer to do beside throw the ball at the right time, but the interview makes it seem like it was just a regular post play.

Yep - out of the huddle. It was run perfectly though!

Mr. Body
10-19-2017, 01:32 PM
If he can be a net zero on defense, and I think he definitely can, then his offense is going to be a major help. He's a guy who knows how to score in many ways. He has a nice toolbox developed over many years in the league.

Seventyniner
10-19-2017, 07:42 PM
I'd actually think of this the other way. The Spurs have been almost exclusively running the Hammer variant that starts off as a post play for a few years. Gay showing gives them another option to do that, but they are sort of hurting because they haven't been doing the other variants. Need to get Murray and his long arms on it.

I'm glad my memory served me right: the passer was always a playmaking guard (a PG or Manu) or Diaw. I would have expected Anderson to be the one firing that pass instead of Rudy. The lack of playmaking from the guard position really constrains the use of the hammer play.

BillMc
10-20-2017, 09:58 AM
Just want the opposing announcers screaming" "No! Not this guy! Nooooooooooooooo!" as often as possible. :lol

BillMc
10-20-2017, 10:06 AM
PTR on how Pop used him:

I loved how Popovich used him last night. A lot of the motion offense was designed to get Rudy on the block with a smaller defender on his back. That worked well.
I also liked that Pop used Rudy for the play that Manu normally runs out of timeouts. The misdirection where Manu drives baseline while LMA sets a screen on Danny's man while Green spots up in the opposite corner. It's a play that the entire league sees coming whenever Manu is the creator. Pop used Rudy Gay, who made a simple baseline spin move to create the angle for probably the most important shot of the game which Danny nailed. Pop closed with Rudy Gay. Obviously, with Kawhi and Tony out the rotations are different, but I like that Pop seems to already trust him.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/10/19/16505228/smooth-rudy-gay

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Just want the opposing announcers screaming" "No! Not this guy! Nooooooooooooooo!" as often as possible. :lol

That video is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. That would be awesome!! :lol

Dex
10-20-2017, 10:42 AM

It's a video I will watch every time I see it pop up. It will never not be hilarious.

YOU FUCKIN' ASSHOOOOLE!

SPURt
10-20-2017, 10:51 AM
I cannot wait for the voice overlay on a Spurs highlight! It's gonna happen! Book it!

Seventyniner
10-20-2017, 10:51 AM
It's a video I will watch every time I see it pop up. It will never not be hilarious.

YOU FUCKIN' ASSHOOOOLE!

Fucking Rudy Gay, man!

gospursgojas
10-20-2017, 11:04 AM

CIA Gay showing some corporate knowledge already.

SPURt
10-20-2017, 11:09 AM
What do you think of the signing Skip Bayless :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21RiR1G53FY

Chinook
10-20-2017, 11:16 AM
PTR on how Pop used him:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/10/19/16505228/smooth-rudy-gay

I don't think a person can call themselves an analyst and not know what that the play is called "the hammer", and while Manu was the first guy to do it, everyone except LMA and Green has been the passer there.

BillMc
10-20-2017, 01:53 PM
That video is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. That would be awesome!! :lol

YOU FUCKIN' ASSHOOOOLE!

I cannot wait for the voice overlay on a Spurs highlight! It's gonna happen! Book it!

A must!:lol

Fucking Rudy Gay, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOGsZoEAxUQ

timtonymanu
10-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Rudy looks like an awesome fit so far. He potentially makes this team a lot more dangerous

tbdog
10-20-2017, 03:15 PM
I'm glad my memory served me right: the passer was always a playmaking guard (a PG or Manu) or Diaw. I would have expected Anderson to be the one firing that pass instead of Rudy. The lack of playmaking from the guard position really constrains the use of the hammer play.

The hammer play has always be run by a PF, specifically Diaw and Lee. Both need to be paid attention on the block on the iso. Here is the thing, Gay is a better iso player than all of them. He could be even better at it if he decides to go at the player.

Chinook
10-20-2017, 03:19 PM
The hammer play has always be run by a PF, specifically Diaw and Lee. Both need to be paid attention on the block on the iso. Here is the thing, Gay is a better iso player than all of them. He could be even better at it if he decides to go at the player.

The Hammer is a genus of plays. It can be initiated by a number of positions, off a number of actions, to a number of spots on the court. A lot of times, it's not even the main action of a play, but the decoy

DAF86
10-20-2017, 03:32 PM

The hammer can be ran by anybody on any position. In fact, on the Spurs the guy that runs it the most, by far, is Manu because he is our best passer.

Just look at this video and tell me who do you see running it more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5sp6kKSz1s

exstatic
10-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Rudy = less fat, more motivated BoBo?

tbdog
10-20-2017, 05:23 PM
I was referring to the post hammer play, not the guard drive hammer play.

marinoman
10-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Why isn’t he getting more minutes especially with Kawhi out?

Play Boban
10-22-2017, 01:06 AM
:cry

Nathan89
10-22-2017, 03:10 AM
Gay has already become the player I want to watch the most outside of Kawhi. He's being utilized perfectly but he's being underutilized.

Nathan89
10-22-2017, 03:22 AM
He's going to eat at the 4 spot with the court spread open. He has a knack for getting in good position. He's uses his strength wonderfully either in the post or putting his body into the defender off the dribble. Just keep him from dancing with the ball far away from the basket and he'll be phenomenal. Dribbling in off ball movement or on transition is type dribbling he can do.

Can't wait till he's getting more playing time and more usage.

Raven
10-22-2017, 05:54 AM

he's coming off a bad injury

cd98
10-22-2017, 07:31 AM

This. Kobe came back off the same injury and tried to play 35 minutes a game to show his toughness. It didn’t end well. Let him play 20 min and get healthier.

Ice009
10-22-2017, 07:46 AM
I wanted Rudy to play about 25-28 minutes (closer to 25 minutes on average) for the first couple of months to ease back into it, but the Kawhi injury may force the Spurs to play him more than that which I'm not keen on. It's really crappy that Kawhi is out injured for more reasons than one.

SAGirl
10-22-2017, 11:04 AM

This. Kobe came back off the same injury and tried to play 35 minutes a game to show his toughness. It didn’t end well. Let him play 20 min and get healthier.
Great points about controlling minutes early. One doesn’t want him to push hard for lengthy minutes and risk some injury again. Pop knows what he’s doing and the team is winning with the minutes he’s playing. :tu

Mr. Body
10-26-2017, 12:25 AM
This guy.

This guy was superb tonight. He broke the game open alongside some Ginobili long-distance shooting. He's a major threat to score and is just fantastic on the block. Major pick-up.

cjw
10-26-2017, 12:44 AM
This guy.

This guy was superb tonight. He broke the game open alongside some Ginobili long-distance shooting. He's a major threat to score and is just fantastic on the block. Major pick-up.

But but but the Spurs stayed pat and lost Dedmon/Simmons/Lee while Manu/Parker are a year older...

People gave PATFO no credit on Gay, Lauvergne and Paul signings while continuously (and likely rightfully) ripping them for Gasol/Mills. Not to mention avoiding pulling trigger on Aldridge trade for pennies on the dollar.

BanditHiro
10-26-2017, 12:47 AM
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-f080bbdfbb3fa700d23de0c303432320.webp

SAGirl
10-26-2017, 06:10 AM
But but but the Spurs stayed pat and lost Dedmon/Simmons/Lee while Manu/Parker are a year older...

People gave PATFO no credit on Gay, Lauvergne and Paul signings while continuously (and likely rightfully) ripping them for Gasol/Mills. Not to mention avoiding pulling trigger on Aldridge trade for pennies on the dollar.
You forgot to mention all the photo composites TGY made all summer about RC getting drunk and the awful team he put together. As well as all the “I hope Kawhi leaves” trolls.

bklynspursfan
10-26-2017, 06:24 AM

Yes... It's so funny how quickly people change their tunes when ya know, the games actually start

SAGirl
10-26-2017, 06:36 AM
Yes... It's so funny how quickly people change their tunes when ya know, the games actually start
Nah some guys don’t change their tunes. They change their targets for now and will be back in full force after the first loss. Bc you know, they expect the team to go undefeated in the RS or something.

BG_Spurs_Fan
10-26-2017, 06:52 AM
You forgot to mention all the photo composites TGY made all summer about RC getting drunk and the awful team he put together. As well as all the “I hope Kawhi leaves” trolls.

At least the stupid idea that the Spurs would be a lottery team without Kawhi should be put to bed.

bklynspursfan
10-26-2017, 07:24 AM
Nah some guys don’t change their tunes. They change their targets for now and will be back in full force after the first loss. Bc you know, they expect the team to go undefeated in the RS or something.

Ha.. very true.

Nathan89
10-26-2017, 09:17 AM
This thread should be many more pages tbh. Gay is proving to be a phenomenal pickup. Perfect skill-set for pf. He was doing work at center tonight. That's insane versatility.

jermaine
10-26-2017, 09:20 AM
This thread should be many more pages tbh. Gay is proving to be a phenomenal pickup. Perfect skill-set for pf. He was doing work at center tonight. That's insane versatility.

Looking at that lineup, I'll never complain about bullshit lineups on 2k again.

BillMc
10-26-2017, 10:49 AM
It will be really fantastic to see Rudy, LMA, and Kawhi out there all at once. Not sure which guards go best with that threesome but I want to see it.

look_at_g_shred
10-26-2017, 10:50 AM
It will be really fantastic to see Rudy, LMA, and Kawhi out there all ant once. Not sure which guards go best with that threesome but I want to see it.
Murray/Manu
Green/Paul

Nathan89
10-26-2017, 10:54 AM
.64 ts% :wow

rjv
10-26-2017, 11:44 AM

People gave PATFO no credit on Gay, Lauvergne and Paul signings while continuously (and likely rightfully) ripping them for Gasol/Mills. Not to mention avoiding pulling trigger on Aldridge trade for pennies on the dollar. don't forget the spurs missed out on paul george and chris paul and they have a front office that is out of touch and resting on its laurels and fill in the blank with the usual worthless ST front office analysis and so on.

SAGirl
10-26-2017, 12:14 PM
don't forget the spurs missed out on paul george and chris paul and they have a front office that is out of touch and resting on its laurels and fill in the blank with the usual worthless ST front office analysis and so on.
I was concerned about Rudy’s injury personally but he’s probably fit in better and be a better addition than those two. I wanted Paul George (CP3 too but frankly his age and game at his price was a turn off. It was more a function of Murray sucking and Tony being injured). Anyways Rudy has been great so I don’t even care about PG. Props to PATFO for Rudy tbh

Ocotillo
10-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Actually they would say PATFO is the regular season champ who can't win in the playoffs...

SpurOutofTownFan
10-26-2017, 12:29 PM

From all the stupid complaining from the little kids in this site, the worst of it all was the misunderstanding about Gay's signing. I mean, some of the "heavy hitters" in this site complained day and night about this guy in particular.

This goes to show without absolutely any doubt that most people in this site, including a bunch of the most notorious posters, don't have a fucking clue about BB and will never understand what it takes to run a successful franchise like the Spurs. Talk is cheap

Full disclaimer: I was waiting in the darkness to jump on this as soon as Gay showed what he was capable of so from that standpoint you can call me names if you want. But it will not change what I said above - that is most of you guys are clueless and should shut up

rjv
10-26-2017, 12:33 PM
From all the stupid complaining from the little kids in this site, the worst of it all was the misunderstanding about Gay's signing. I mean, some of the "heavy hitters" in this site complained day and night about this guy in particular.

This goes to show without absolutely any doubt that most people in this site, including a bunch of the most notorious posters, don't have a fucking clue about BB and will never understand what it takes to run a successful franchise like the Spurs. Talk is cheap

Full disclaimer: I was waiting in the darkness to jump on this as soon as Gay showed what he was capable of so from that standpoint you can call me names if you want. But it will not change what I said above - that is most of you guys are clueless and should shut up quite possibly, the post of the year.

dabom
10-26-2017, 12:35 PM
I've always liked Rudy. Was the first person to use his avi. :tu

tim_duncan_fan
10-26-2017, 12:51 PM
If he can maintain even 15ppg, we will be so set for the season.

Dex
10-26-2017, 01:04 PM

Full disclaimer: I was waiting in the darkness to jump on this as soon as Gay showed what he was capable of so from that standpoint you can call me names if you want. But it will not change what I said above - that is most of you guys are clueless and should shut up

It's not even worth trying to debate with the idiot trolls on this site. They have their agenda, and they won't sway from it.

And they know who they are.

bklynspursfan
10-26-2017, 01:15 PM

:toast Yes...

FkLA
10-26-2017, 01:58 PM
Fuck yes, sons.

I'm calling it right now, unless all his lift is gone this dude will flourish in SA. The Spurs culture is real. You don't just come into this professional of an environment willingly if you're planning on being a cancer/selfish. The tools and length are there. The Spurs will get whatever is left after the injury out.

Ideally, he wouldn't be coming off an achilles injury but then again he probably commands a lot more dough if he isn't.

I'm telling y'all man, unless all his lift is gone he will flourish in SA. Too much length and too skilled for him not to. Well spoken, professional, takes care of his body. He'll buy into the culture.

:flag:

He's going to be a great Spur. The only positive thing from an otherwise shitty off-season. Signing MVPaddy was neither good nor bad, imo.

Brah if guys with physical limitations like Neal and Roger Mason Jr. can light shit up in SA just imagine what guys with some talent and measurables can do. Post-injury Rudy will still be more athletic than those guys ever dreamed of being, tbh.

Y'all motherfuckers forget PopaGOAT has helped guys with physical limitations like Roger Mason Jr and Gary Neal light shit up for a season or two. Imagine what he will do with a super long, skilled guy like Joto. :wow:claw

I called it. Me. He doesn't even look like this is the ceiling of his recovery either, maybe won't get back to pre-achilles but physically he still looks like he has plenty of room for improvement, tbh.

Chinook
10-26-2017, 02:00 PM
^What about Manziel tho?

Raven
10-26-2017, 02:01 PM
i was always a fan of the guy, and was always sure that achilles injuries are massively overrated. I'm not surprised in the least.

FkLA
10-26-2017, 02:04 PM
^What about Manziel tho?

Drugs did him in. Probably my one bad call on ST and by default my worst one. What about Orr though (RIP)?

Chinook
10-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Drugs did him in. Probably my one bad call on ST and by default my worst one. What about Orr though (RIP)?

Hell of a call. Would have been a great third-round compensatory pick.

benefactor
10-26-2017, 02:32 PM
He's pretty good at basketball tbh

SAGirl
11-14-2017, 07:34 AM

rjv
11-14-2017, 11:44 AM
i like what i have seen of rudy so far. BUT he has shriveled somewhat in the bigger games...

Mr. Body
11-14-2017, 12:41 PM
i like what i have seen of rudy so far. BUT he has shriveled somewhat in the bigger games...

The whole fucking team has.

rjv
11-14-2017, 12:44 PM
The whole fucking team has. sad, but true.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Rudy is going to be big as a 6th man once Kawhi is back. He's a third option at this point in his career, but a good third option. He'll be a monster for the second unit or out there with the starters when Kawhi is garnering the bulk of the defense's attention.

FkLA
11-16-2017, 08:49 PM

Disagree. He's getting to his spots and getting good looks even against the better teams, they just don't go in sometimes. Plus it's natural that it's harder for him to dominate against the GSs of the world than against the Bulls. That goes for any player.

Atl Spur
11-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Rudy is going to be big as a 6th man once Kawhi is back. He's a third option at this point in his career, but a good third option. He'll be a monster for the second unit or out there with the starters when Kawhi is garnering the bulk of the defense's attention.

I totally agree; him and kawhi will punish small ball teams

LittleCriminal
11-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Need to bump this...

Some takes on here are funny...

LittleCriminal
11-25-2017, 07:09 PM
Sean ****** just told the viewers "Rudy Gay has been absolutely phenomenal".

TheDoctor
11-25-2017, 10:24 PM
https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-f080bbdfbb3fa700d23de0c303432320.webp

NWO Wolfpack?

DMC
10-12-2018, 10:18 PM
Doubt he'll play 40 games.

:wakeup