PDA

View Full Version : Ranking Spurs players 2017-2018

apalisoc_9
09-15-2017, 04:58 PM
I should start by saying that this partly educated prediction, but how would you yourself rank Spur players? Who would be the five most impactful players?

imo.

Kawhi - Probably the most boring since its the most obvious.

Crybaby Aldridge - Going to to be the third most valuable defensive player and hopefuly the playoffs warmed him up for playing more centre. As a Centre, he's easily the second most impactful offensive player. Hopefully less, post ups more rolls and quick high lows.

Danny Green - With Leonard's expected increase in offensive leonard, Danny is expected to once again be the second most valuable defensive player. I just hope he stops thinking he can somehow still "Create". Should focus more with a quick trigger..Any slight opening should be a three point shot instead of his ugly ass dribble.

Rudy Gay- If gay is at least 80% as good as his pre-injury self he's going to be extremely valuable in small lineups as a 4, particulary because he gives kawhi more freedom and breathing room with his ability to attack the basket off the catck. No Gay iso please. Should be a servicable defender too as a 4. He's never been a dumb help defender like Westbrook etc.

Patty Mills - I don't want mills to start, but he's going to be the 5th most valuable player next with Parker missing more time and Dejuntay being 20...The spurs have nothing if Mills plays as bad as he did in the playoffs..Maybe thats why we're stocking up guards?

Pau Gasol - He's likely to start, but all points to a diminshed role. He was decent against houston as a 5 and really should play as the back up 5.

Manu - Hopefully we're not brining manu off the bench as a sixth man. He's 40 years old. I can see signficant value with him playing around 15mpg though

Bertans - Do you expect more minuites? I think he's going to play even less with Rudy gay on the squad.

Anderson - I think he lost minuts with the Gay Aquistion

Murray

Lauvernge

Forbes - Great Summer league, but we don't have minutes for him

Paul

spurs10
09-15-2017, 11:03 PM
About right. I hope that Danny and Rudy are neck and neck. If that is our starting five I think we could be very competitive. If Tony comes back strong, all the better.

Dex
09-16-2017, 02:10 AM
You forgot someone.

Not that I am surprised....

apalisoc_9
09-16-2017, 11:40 AM
You forgot someone.

hes going to miss 30 games bro. Not fair.

Fireball
09-16-2017, 12:55 PM

SAGirl
09-16-2017, 02:17 PM
The young players specially are very unpredictable but I hope some emerge as contributors this season. Also, it's still not clear what system Pop is going to use since Kawhi is injured, and Rudy has been brought along slowly.

SAGirl
10-05-2017, 12:39 PM
I am bumping this. Some very early observations...

Manu - Hopefully we're not brining manu off the bench as a sixth man. He's 40 years old. I can see signficant value with him playing around 15mpg though

Bertans - Do you expect more minuites? I think he's going to play even less with Rudy gay on the squad.

Murray

Lauvernge

Paul
Manu appears to still be the 6th man, though I can see Mills taking up more minutes, specially with Dijon starting up the season.
Bertans? hmm I had penciled him in for minutes bc he's just too good of a shooter to not be playing but so far, he appears to be an icyhot kind of dude. He can streak to 5 made threes one game and then give you a string of nada for a few others. Jury is still out on him. He will get opportunitites.
Anderson-unknown. He's going to put up a battle for minutes so Bertans better not feel at ease. I stand by my statement that he's going to have a better season when he's more aggressive. However still TBD. He's going to have to claw his way into minutes and he can't let up even for a game.

These two guys though are the most affected by Pop wanting to play big, so far they have gotten minutes bc Kawhi is injured and Rudy Gay is being brought along slowly, but they both could stand to lose minutes if Pop sticks to playing big a lot, bc Pop still has to find minutes for Rudy Gay and the bulk of them won't come as a 3 once Kawhi is healthy. Food for thought for both guys.

Lauvergne has surprised and will play, might even play more than Bertans who I thought had potential to nab more minutes. While Bertans is a better shooter, Lauvergne is more versatile offensively, can roll and bang with bigger bodies. Surprisingly good passer too.

Murray is the most controversial bc he has an opportunity to play a lot of minutes early in the season and if he was really, really good, he could legit plant the seed to more minutes for himself. He doesn't look ready to have a break out season per se, at least so far. But I think given his ambition to be an all star, at this stage I would expect him to grab a rotation spot from somebody. After all, what kind of potential all-star stays in the deep bench for two full seasons in the league. He has to break out as a rotation player this year... and by break out I don't mean MIP candidate or anything like that, but become a true rotation player. Let Pop figure out what he's going to do about the minutes and the guys who have to give up minutes for him. He needs to put his name in the mix with the starting caliber guards in the team IMO. In a team with a weak guard rotation (stars way past their prime and Mills and Danny being roleplayers) it shouldn't be that difficult for him to achieve this. We shall see.

White has surprised me, he's a good shooter and a solid player not prone to mistakes. He looks polished already for being a rookie.

Paul hasn't shown me nada right now.

Forbes can and will get hot on occasion. How does he impact the game when he's not scoring or given the ball? I don't know. He can straight up disappear at times. Not sure yet about him, but not ready to give up on him. He really does have a nice shot and will have a chance through the season IMO.

SASdynasty!
10-05-2017, 12:47 PM
I should start by saying that this partly educated prediction, but how would you yourself rank Spur players? Who would be the five most impactful players?

imo.

Kawhi - Probably the most boring since its the most obvious.

Crybaby Aldridge - Going to to be the third most valuable defensive player and hopefuly the playoffs warmed him up for playing more centre. As a Centre, he's easily the second most impactful offensive player. Hopefully less, post ups more rolls and quick high lows.

Danny Green - With Leonard's expected increase in offensive leonard, Danny is expected to once again be the second most valuable defensive player. I just hope he stops thinking he can somehow still "Create". Should focus more with a quick trigger..Any slight opening should be a three point shot instead of his ugly ass dribble.

Rudy Gay- If gay is at least 80% as good as his pre-injury self he's going to be extremely valuable in small lineups as a 4, particulary because he gives kawhi more freedom and breathing room with his ability to attack the basket off the catck. No Gay iso please. Should be a servicable defender too as a 4. He's never been a dumb help defender like Westbrook etc.

Patty Mills - I don't want mills to start, but he's going to be the 5th most valuable player next with Parker missing more time and Dejuntay being 20...The spurs have nothing if Mills plays as bad as he did in the playoffs..Maybe thats why we're stocking up guards?

Pau Gasol - He's likely to start, but all points to a diminshed role. He was decent against houston as a 5 and really should play as the back up 5.

Murray

Lauvernge

Paul
Pretty good list...just add Parker right above or below Aldridge, your choice.

TD 21
10-09-2017, 04:31 PM
https://nbamath.com/crystalbasketball-ranking-the-san-antonio-spurs-for-2017-18/

SAGirl
10-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Nice link TD! Thanks for sharing.
-----
I am ashamed I wrote an entire novel, but Ill leave it there to remind me not to. :tu
------
It will still be something to look back upon bc the season is very early and may take turns I didn't foresee.

Spurtacular
10-09-2017, 10:55 PM
Player fan thread, tbh