PDA

View Full Version : What to do when you hate your job, but don't know what else to do?

easjer
10-17-2005, 10:05 AM
I guess I'm just fed up with my job. It's all right. But I can't move any higher unless someone leaves, I can't get a raise, even though I rank near the top of the performance evaluations. Hell, I can't even get an office (combination of space issues and job duties - I 'supervise' the work of our student workers in the large office area). I don't like what I'm doing, but there isn't much else left to do. I've given over most of my job to the student workers to keep them occupied, and I'm bored.

I'm way overqualified for this job. I'm smart as hell, but have no confidence in new territory. I'm worth more than this job can ever pay. I know some of the skills I have are transferable (this is pretty general stuff, completing applications and presenting them for review, and reviewing them can apply to applications for jobs, raises, grants as well as admission to university).

But I have a BA in history, with a minor in theatre. I've pretty much only worked at this job (though it's changed several times, growing in responsibilities and importance). I don't know what I could do. I've done career testing, and I've had some interest in some fields I test well in, but they all require advanced, specialized degrees (ministry, counseling, etc) that I just can't afford right now.

I like my boss here, but the organization is draining. I dreaded coming back from my honeymoon. I can walk in here fully rested, in a wonderful mood because of the gorgeous day and feel drained, headachy, and unhappy within an hour.

I don't know what to do about this. I know I'm not happy, but I'm terrified because I don't want to stay in this line of work (it's boring, and I think I am more creative and need more of a challenge than this could ever offer), but I don't know what I can do. It's such a frustrating situation, compounded by being the main earner in my marriage right now (certainly won't be forever, but . . .). And added to that, we are stuck in Houston until August at least, maybe December, and maybe up to three more years. I hesitate to look for a job here knowing we may be relocating back home as early as August, but fearing we may be here until 2008, and being stuck here.

Any advice on career change would be highly welcome.

SWC Bonfire
10-17-2005, 10:08 AM
My advice to you is to start making as many contacts and business relations with people as you can, while staying at your current job and perfoming well. Something always comes up, and the more people you know at a professional level that have a positive opinion of you, the better.

Clandestino
10-17-2005, 10:11 AM
save up some money so you can afford to try a new job. however, it seems like you can't stay there anyway because you hate it...

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Bonfire's advice is good. Exploring your options can do you a world of good- even if it just shows you how blessed you are to have as good of job as you do.

You have my full sympathy as I just got out of a similar work environment and my situation is like yours.
I'll pray. = )

batman2883
10-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Yes always make contacts with the higer ups and stay good with them, dont kiss their ass though just stay in good with them. Look in other departments for positions that are higher with a higher pay, then just apply for them when they open up. That way you have your contacts as references to show that your a good employee.....

by the way did they give you your red stapler back?

clooneyschick04
10-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Bonfire and angel_luv's advice is perfect and something I needed to hear also. I'm in a similar situation to you easjer and it's definitely not easy.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Bonfire and angel_luv's advice is perfect and something I needed to hear also. I'm in a similar situation to you easjer and it's definitely not easy.

I'll pray for you too. = )

batman2883
10-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Man everytime i hear someone say pray it reminds me of MC Hammer

clooneyschick04
10-17-2005, 10:30 AM
I'll pray for you too. = )

You really are an angel. Thanks girl! :angel

SWC Bonfire
10-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Man everytime i hear someone say pray it reminds me of MC Hammer

You've got to pray just to make it today.

NoMoneyDown
Any advice on career change would be highly welcome.

Yes.

1. Understand that as long as you are working for someone else, you will never be able to do what you want.

2. Understand that becoming financially free requires dedication and time.

3. Understand that it takes discipline to become boss-free and financially free.

4. Start today!

Regards,
Steve

easjer
I wish you luck, clooneyschick.

Thanks for the advice, Bonfire and the prayers, Angel.

clooneyschick04
10-17-2005, 10:39 AM
I wish you luck, clooneyschick.

Thanks for the advice, Bonfire and the prayers, Angel.

Best of luck to you also my friend! :)

batman2883
10-17-2005, 10:41 AM
You've got to pray just to make it today.

ha ha ha ha hell yeah that shit was funny

gospursgojas
10-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Become a teacher....

Taco
10-17-2005, 12:11 PM
I can't move any higher unless someone leaves, I can't get a raise, even though I rank near the top of the performance evaluations.

Sounds like a State Worker. :depressed

It's easier to find a job when you have a job

good luck.

easjer
10-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah - that's in essence what I am. I work for a state university. Basically a state worker. I got a 4% raise this year. I ranked a 5 on my perf eval (of 5). But my coworker, who ranked a 3 (barely satisfactory) also got a raise. Because they were across the board, and they killed the merit raise. So what motivation, other than personal satisfaction do I have in continuing to do my best work? I'm already skating pretty closely to that line where you don't really care and you leave things too long and things get sloppy and then your work suffers because you don't care. And that's not where I want to go.

And I just had a long heart to heart with my boss, letting her know that I am going to begina job search. She is 100% in favor of that. Not because she wants me to leave, she was very explicit, but because she's also my friend, and she thinks that I've been bored for a really long time, and she thinks I can do a whole lot more for a lot more money, and 'use that enormous brain' of mine. And whatever she can do to help, she will.

So that's good. It's a step. I'm actually going to do this. Looking for a new job is scary. Fortunately, I'm good to go here for years more if I need to.

bigzak25
10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
if you don't like your job? save some money and quit.

apparently you are a newlywed and i understand you have responsibilities and a family to worry about.

that's cool.

but what most people get trapped in is the fact that their job is a life time thing.

it's not.

go find another job in the same field that will pay you more.

then with the extra money, pay bills, save cash, make a plan for something you

REALLY WOULD LOVE TO DO AS A CAREER!

then when you ready, Just Do It, brother.

Remember, YOU choose where you work today, and you can choose where you'll work tomorrow. :tu

goodluck!

SWC Bonfire
10-17-2005, 12:36 PM
Good luck, darlin'. Sounds like you have a good start, and have been very forthright and upfront about your concerns with your employer. Just remember not to burn any bridges, no matter how tempting. :tu

gospursgojas
10-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Do you absolutly need a raise?
Is it critical to make more money in order to support your finances?

If not, then maybe you should look for a job that you will love, no matter the pay.

Well I mean as long as the pay is reasonable, dont get a job feeding horses @ min wage because you love horses :lol ...

bigzak25
10-17-2005, 12:41 PM
also, education sets you free.

dabble in night classes til you find something you really like, unless you know what you really want to do already. :tu

easjer
10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the encouragement. If I could afford to, I'd do a masters in something in a heartbeat. Hell, a personal goal of mine is to get my doctorate in history before I die. Ministry or counseling would be good.

Right now, until my husband graduates (probably August), I'm the primary supporter. I mean 85-95% of our finances. I have to work and make at least this much. However, our debt is not bad, but I'd be much more comfortable if I made another $5-7K a year, and that's not trying to save for or buy a house. . .

The thing is - I've been in a holding pattern for so long, now that we're finally married and I'm living life, and I'm happy - I don't want to be holding in my job. I want to be happy in what I'm doing. I'm willing to stay here until I can figure out what will make me happy and how I can make enough $ doing it. I've been unhappy for too long, and I'm not willing to poison my marriage with unhappiness from my job.

I can't believe the terrifying mixture of relief, terror and happiness at having made this decision. It won't be a quick fix, but I've got a job making ends meet for now, so it doesn't need to be.

bigzak25
10-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Just keep the Faith, you said Ministry, so I'm sure your Faith in Jesus and your Knowledge that He carries us in our greatest time of need is solid.

Lean on each other, that's what a marriage is all about. You are on the right track.

Most Important...NO FEAR. DON'T BE SCARED. No matter what happens, It's gonna be alright. :tu

NoMoneyDown
10-17-2005, 01:34 PM
easjer -

Why are you stressing yourself out so much?

Don't get a Masters degree (just yet).
Don't get a Doctorate (just yet).

Get educated in something that will set you and your spouse financially free THEN do those things with all the free time you will have. Instead of working for someone else and living paycheck to paycheck, instead of worrying if your employer will downsize, instead of wondering if you are saving enough for retirement, become proactive TODAY and live for tomorrow!

Regards,
Steve

E20
10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Kill the person that has the higher rank than you.

easjer
10-17-2005, 04:28 PM
But I like HIM. Now our coworker who works laterally . . . hmmmmmm, her, I could off. But I've already taken over 85% of her job (do you think it's weird that the admissions counselor doesn't have anything to do with application processing?) so I don't guess it'd be worth it.

And if I did decide to off coworker 1, with my luck, coirker 2 would get the job.

:lol

spurs_fan_in_exile
10-17-2005, 04:29 PM
My recommendation is that you go find a rich guy to marry so you can quit your job.

easjer
10-17-2005, 04:49 PM
My recommendation is that you go find a rich guy to marry so you can quit your job.

Wouldn't that involve divorcing you?

Wait, what? You still think you can hook up with Eva Longoria, don't you?

ZStomp
10-17-2005, 05:02 PM
I think you need to make a shirt that has this:

http://www.prweb.com/prfiles/2003/11/16/89768/WSZZ_GO_POSTAL_LG.gif

Vashner
10-17-2005, 05:03 PM
You find another job.. this is not like old Russia where you get assignment papers.

Find a job. Get hired. Give 2 weeks. Be polite and smile...

Don't quit till you have a new job.

HB22inSA
10-17-2005, 08:55 PM
I think alot of people who hate their jobs are too scared to try something new, too scared of change.

I would bet that more than 66% of people don't like their jobs, but only 5% do something about it, and they're so set in their ways, they refuse to change, thus their unhappiness.

NoMoneyDown
10-18-2005, 07:36 AM
I think alot of people who hate their jobs are too scared to try something new, too scared of change.

Exactly. And that's why they will always be where they are, asking the "what if's" their entire life.

Monday thru Friday, the same old routine ... Get up, get ready, fight the traffic, due your job, fight traffic again, go to soccor practice, fix dinner, eat, relax a few minutes, go to bed - only to do it all again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, for the rest of your life.

Does anyone remember the movie "Con Air"? Steve Buscemi's character is a low-life con, who is the most vile of the vile. On the plane, someone asks Steve's character something like "Your insane!" to which he responds:

What if I told you insane was working fifty hours a week in some office for fifty years at the end of which they tell you to piss off; ending up in some retirement village hoping to die before suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time? Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?

In reality, this is not far from the truth.

1Parker1
10-18-2005, 09:03 AM
I think BigSac hit it on the nail. Many people, myself included, feel that your job is a lifetime thing. And often, we're scared to go out and find another job (even though we hate our current one) because we either don't know where to start or we aren't up to the whole process of getting a new job---new training, new co-workers, getting acclimated to a new company, etc.

I always keep telling myself the following quote:

"Don't live to work, work to live."---

I know it may seem scary, but you should def start looking into other job opportunities--some even outside your comfort circle. If you love what you do and you love your job.....it gets reflected in your work. And I know it's hard to figure out what exactly it is that you "love doing," but that's why you need to do some researching and start thinking about what would be the ideal place for YOU......a place that would make you want to get up every morning.......and then set out to find a job that fits that.

tlongII
10-18-2005, 02:32 PM
Quit and move to L.A.?

cheguevara
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Nothing. You're now part of the majority of americans

bigzak25
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
well, i quit on Aug 25th, today is oct 18th, and i'm still unemployed.

i would NOT reccomend doing what i did unless you have family that can help you out
or money saved up that can get you through to your next job.

when you got a good chunk saved and a plan?

go for it.

i can get a job at target in LA tomorrow as a management trainee, 45K.

i want a job in music or comedy, or a higher paying technical job, but target is
in my back pocket.

if i don't get a job in the next couple weeks,

Target, here i come.

it's enough to pay my bills, classes, get a car, and put some in savings.

if another job comes along? a better or more lucrative? then i make the jump again.

this is YOUR life. LIVE IT.

i REFUSE to be on my Death Bed one day thinking What If? Fuck that.

Goodluck, Godbless. :tu

Marklar MM
10-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Make all the people who you oversee wear hot clothing...unless they are overweight and have bulges.

easjer
10-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Make all the people who you oversee wear hot clothing...unless they are overweight and have bulges.

Oh, honey, I'm a happily married woman, and all but one of my workers are 18 - 20 yr old girls. They are mostly cute, but not my style. But it's something to pass the time.

Marklar MM
10-18-2005, 04:29 PM

Oh, honey, I'm a happily married woman, and all but one of my workers are 18 - 20 yr old girls. They are mostly cute, but not my style. But it's something to pass the time.

Make em wear bikinis. And have beach party day every day. You can even import the nice white Hawaiian sand, get a pool and fill it with saltwater fishies...you get lunch break, go to the pool and lounge with your shades, bikini, and grab some martinis from the martini maker who works at the office. Definitely the way to take off the edge of your workday.

midgetonadonkey
10-18-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm in pretty much that same position as you are. I'm in a shit job, with no chance of being promoted and get nothing out of my work. I check books out to people all day. I hate 90% of the people I work with. I am just waiting until the end of the month and I'm gone. Fuck this place.