PDA

View Full Version : Richard Jefferson on Bill Simmons Podcast

Dex
09-20-2017, 03:08 PM
https://soundcloud.com/the-bill-simmons-podcast/richard-jefferson-on-podcast-fame-jason-kidds-greatness-and-kyries-departure-ep-260

Spurs-related from about 10:30-22:00 minutes.

Some good insights on his time with the Spurs, the system, Pop and Tim, and working with Chip.

Also some content on the '04 Olympics from 52:00-58:00

I know SpursTalk is all Fuck Richard Jefferson and all, but his podcasts and interviews are interesting, at least. It sounds like he wasn't real pleased with his role with the team and how he performed, either.

phxspurfan
09-20-2017, 03:14 PM
While he didn't light it up with the Spurs, he still owes the Spurs with revitalizing his jump shot and thus his career as an aging vet. No way he gets contracts with Utah and Cleveland without the jumper he developed here

TimDunkem
09-20-2017, 03:23 PM
From everything I've heard him say, his poor performance was due to a combination of learning to play within a new role, serious issues in his personal life, and dealing with a bad back.

After hearing all that, my dislike for him died. Things just didn't work out.

phxspurfan
09-20-2017, 03:46 PM
From everything I've heard him say, his poor performance was due to a combination of learning to play within a new role, serious issues in his personal life, and dealing with a bad back.

Luke Walton didn't call him back

http://www.wheresweems.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/JeffersonWalton.jpg

Down Under
09-20-2017, 05:46 PM

Along with losing a lot of his athleticism at that point in his career. The trade was still worth the risk though - TD's knee had blown out, Bowen was 100 years old & Manu was getting older and getting injured all the time.

Seventyniner
09-20-2017, 07:09 PM
Along with losing a lot of his athleticism at that point in his career. The trade was still worth the risk though - TD's knee had blown out, Bowen was 100 years old & Manu was getting older and getting injured all the time.

It was definitely a good trade at the time, the Spurs only gave up spare parts and future cap flexibility. He was a deadly 3-point shooter while here too, but that's not what PATFO thought they were getting.

davidbowie
09-20-2017, 07:44 PM
didnt he leave his fiance right before the wedding and then he came to the spurs

gospursgojas
09-20-2017, 07:59 PM
didnt he leave his fiance right before the wedding and then he came to the spurs

Luke Walton didn't call him back

http://www.wheresweems.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/JeffersonWalton.jpg

TimDunkem
09-20-2017, 09:22 PM
It was definitely a good trade at the time, the Spurs only gave up spare parts and future cap flexibility. He was a deadly 3-point shooter while here too, but that's not what PATFO thought they were getting.That is revisionist history. Part of the problem was that the Spurs were trying to break him down and force him to become a shooter within the offense which took him out of his comfort zone. Being a 3pt shooter is exactly what the Spurs wanted.

All the other issues he was having personally and health wise is what exacerbated his poor play.

DMC
09-20-2017, 10:24 PM
It was a shitty deal. RJ was a cancer. Revisionist history is for faggots.

tholdren
09-20-2017, 10:39 PM

So free pass because he made excuses? Nice

TimDunkem
09-20-2017, 11:25 PM
So free pass because he made excuses? Nice
All I said was I don't irrationally hate him like some others here do. It didn't work out, the Spurs traded him, and that's that.

tmtcsc
09-21-2017, 10:21 AM
I didn't like the trade when it happened. RJ was never a difference maker in my opinion & wasn't bringing anything to the team. Turned out I was right on that one. Just a few good games here and there in what was a regrettable, forgettable period.

pad300
09-21-2017, 03:40 PM
The only problem I had with the RJ trade was not bringing Bowen back, when the opportunity was there, rather than Keith Bogans. Bogans was a complete waste of space; Bruce, although old, was still doing the job (3&D) quite well.

cd98
09-21-2017, 04:55 PM

Yes, she wasn't willing to let him play for both teams.