PDA

View Full Version : Which Spurs Rookie Will Have the Biggest Impact this Season?

BillMc
09-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Our annual rookie poll.

Which Spurs Rookie Will Have the Biggest Impact This Season?

Amida Brimah

Mat Costello

Brandon Paul

London Perrantes

Derrick While

BillMc
09-25-2017, 03:28 PM
I mean it's got to be Derrick, right?

apalisoc_9
09-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Brandon Paul by a good margin.

He's a shooter.

Dex
09-25-2017, 03:54 PM
I mean it's got to be Derrick, right?

Not sure if White gets the opportunity unless his play improves considerably from where he was at during Summer League. With the log jam at guard, he's going to have to beat out one of Parker, Mills, Murray, Forbes, Green, and Paul.

I think Paul was brought into the fill the gap that was left when Simmons left, so I think he's got that opportunity built in. Not sure if White has that advantage.

BillMc
09-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Brandon Paul by a good margin.

He's a shooter.

Not sure if White gets the opportunity unless his play improves considerably from where he was at during Summer League. With the log jam at guard, he's going to have to beat out one of Parker, Mills, Murray, Forbes, Green, and Paul.

I think Paul was brought into the fill the gap that was left when Simmons left, so I think he's got that opportunity built in. Not sure if White has that advantage.

Fair enough. Hope he's a real find.

peacemaker885
09-25-2017, 04:16 PM
Anyone who can fill DG's lack of offense.

cd98
09-25-2017, 04:32 PM
None of the above.

tmtcsc
09-25-2017, 04:33 PM

Man, I'm not sure Murray deserves to be on the floor. He looked awful in the Summer. How bad? White looked more composed and better than him.

As for the original question, that's easy. The rookie who brings the donuts to practice the fastest.

look_at_g_shred
09-25-2017, 04:38 PM
Anyone who can fill this teams lack of offense.

Strategic
09-25-2017, 04:48 PM
I’ll go with the long shot Brimah. Wishful thinking

lefty20
09-25-2017, 04:50 PM
None of the above. This year isn't for any of them.

TheGreatYacht
09-25-2017, 05:15 PM
Just threw up looking at that list of names

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel

TD 21
09-25-2017, 06:07 PM
Considering only 2 and a half will be on the roster, it's obviously between Paul and White. Been saying, think Paul will play a slightly bigger role than most assume. He's more experienced than the other unestablished guards and is the only one who could conceivably fill a 3 and D role. Specifically, could see him being a secondary Harden/Westbrook defender.

I. Hustle
09-25-2017, 06:11 PM
BP3

SAGirl
09-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Considering only 2 and a half will be on the roster, it's obviously between Paul and White. Been saying, think Paul will play a slightly bigger role than most assume. He's more experienced than the other unestablished guards and is the only one who could conceivably fill a 3 and D role. Specifically, could see him being a secondary Harden/Westbrook defender.
I am going to tag team with this post. I don't know Paul much. I didn't watch his summer team, but he is older, more experienced and is coming into the team having had a very good summer. He has been playing well.

I liked Derricks play enough that I think he could also get a good look early specially if he's shooting well. He's a good enough passer and shooter that he could fit in relatively well in whatever spot minutes he gets.

It could be either but I give the front-running to Paul, just more experienced, good shooter, and was playing at a high level in the summer already. Spurs coaching staff were high on him reportedly and expect him to be a good find.

TimDunkem
09-25-2017, 06:45 PM
It's obviously Paul. He's an experienced player with a guaranteed contract playing a position of need with skills that win games now, namely shooting.

Once Parker comes back, White will be glued to the bench widening the gap between him and Paul's opportunity to contribute.

spurs50_
09-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Brandon Paul

DAF86
09-25-2017, 06:55 PM
I don' think any of them is expected to play rotation minutes right now, but if one guy could win a spot I supposse Paul has the best chance.

John B
09-27-2017, 03:53 AM
I’ll go with the long shot Brimah. Wishful thinking

Same here. I've watched highlights of him, interviews, his ridiculous wingspan. His commitment to learning defense and do what coaches want him to do. I really hope he works out

RD2191
09-27-2017, 04:05 AM
Just threw up looking at that list of names

We're really scraping the bottom of the barrel

:lol

superbigtime
09-27-2017, 10:38 AM
Brandon paul maybe? None of these going to be a difference maker or game changer. Pretty pathetic really.

Dex
09-27-2017, 04:09 PM
Brandon paul maybe? None of these going to be a difference maker or game changer. Pretty pathetic really.

Pathetic? What do you expect from a team with the 29th and 59th pick?

We'll be lucky if one of these picks or DLeague guys pans out as well as Anderson has, and that's just the way it goes. Hell, we are lucky Murray has the potential to be a keeper.

Parker's and Manu's don't just grow on trees.

LakerHater
09-27-2017, 08:41 PM
None!

superbigtime
09-28-2017, 01:45 PM

We'll be lucky if one of these picks or DLeague guys pans out as well as Anderson has, and that's just the way it goes. Hell, we are lucky Murray has the potential to be a keeper.

Yes, pathetic.

Brazil
09-28-2017, 01:52 PM
who ?

Dex
09-28-2017, 02:03 PM
Yes, pathetic.

Good counterpoint.

apalisoc_9
09-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Yup..Said this when he signed for the spurs. I'd stay away from calling him a 3 and D guy though, his D is suspect.

apalisoc_9
09-28-2017, 02:35 PM
who ?

Dude, I might be vacationing to france next year. Any tips?

I honestly don't want to go..it is such a waste of money but my new girl is a travel geek..

I wish i could just dump her but I can't..having a girl is very financially beneficial.

TD 21
09-28-2017, 04:03 PM
Yup..Said this when he signed for the spurs. I'd stay away from calling him a 3 and D guy though, his D is suspect.

I didn't call him a 3 and D guy, I said he could conceivably fill the role. Like Simmons, he has the physical tools to be a plus on ball defender and now that he'll be playing a limited role and will likely need to be at least neutral to get minutes, there's reason to think he could be.

apalisoc_9
09-28-2017, 04:20 PM
I didn't call him a 3 and D guy, I said he could conceivably fill the role. Like Simmons, he has the physical tools to be a plus on ball defender and now that he'll be playing a limited role and will likely need to be at least neutral to get minutes, there's reason to think he could be.

He plays like a gary neal though. Decent off the ball. Regardless..

What really interest me is Paul vs Forbes...They basically will be doing the same thing offensively and virtually play the same position.

TD 21
09-28-2017, 04:28 PM

What really interest me is Paul vs Forbes...They basically will be doing the same thing offensively and virtually play the same position.

I know, but Neal wasn't athletic and didn't have a 6'10.25'' wingspan. If they thought Paul wasn't or couldn't be different from that type, it's unlikely they'd have given him a roster spot, with Forbes already signed.

Think Forbes is more in competition with Murray. If the latter falters, I could see Mills starting and Forbes filling his role off the bench.

TheGreatYacht
09-28-2017, 05:10 PM

:lol at this

There was PLENTY of talent available at 29, Buford just drafted the oldest son of a bitch on his board. Knew he was going to get a pass for botching that shit. "It's hit or miss that late in the draft" is the excuse people will always use when he continues to shit himself drafting Livios, Milutinovs, Fatheads, and such.

Guaranteed there will be an obvious diamond he missed on this draft (that many posters wanted) just like when he passed on Jokic to draft Kyle.

NameLess Scrub
09-28-2017, 05:20 PM
None. They're all irrelevant and have little potential.

Two of them will have some good game, after which someone will start a "random special place of rookie" thread. Some will get excited until they play poorly again. After that, some will hold on to the idea that the rookies will improve based on the one game.

apalisoc_9
09-28-2017, 06:08 PM
I know, but Neal wasn't athletic and didn't have a 6'10.25'' wingspan. If they thought Paul wasn't or couldn't be different from that type, it's unlikely they'd have given him a roster spot, with Forbes already signed.

Think Forbes is more in competition with Murray. If the latter falters, I could see Mills starting and Forbes filling his role off the bench.

maybe..

Chinook needs to GTFO if paul shows great defensive promise. Should go to wherever Green is traded :lol

Dex
09-28-2017, 06:25 PM

There was PLENTY of talent available at 29, Buford just drafted the oldest son of a bitch on his board. Knew he was going to get a pass for botching that shit. "It's hit or miss that late in the draft" is the excuse people will always use when he continues to shit himself drafting Livios, Milutinovs, Fatheads, and such.

Guaranteed there will be an obvious diamond he missed on this draft (that many posters wanted) just like when he passed on Jokic to draft Kyle.

Probably, but hindsight is 20/20. It's easy to look at talent now and wonder how they missed it on the draft boards which are full of unknowns.

The Spurs have a pretty good track record of doing a lot with a little. Not even just Parker and Manu, but Joseph, Splitter, Scola (even though he never wore the uniform, FO fucked that one up), even Kawhi (MVP-caliber player at the 15th pick). And that's not even counting the DLeague players who have been picked up on the cheap like Neal and Simmons.

Not every pick is a winner, obviously...but you can't act like they have just completely whiffed for the last decade. Considering the Spurs are picking at the end of the draft year in and year out, I still consider that pretty consistent and successful.

TimDunkem
09-28-2017, 06:26 PM

Or his son's friend Cory Joseph over Jimmy Butler.

SAGirl
09-28-2017, 09:24 PM

Interesting. I haven't thought about it that way bc I haven't watched Paul play but it's obvious Pop likes Bryn although Pop is known to have paid lip service to guys he's then cut. In a twist of black humor sometimes I have thought in the past that getting some praise from Pop is the kiss of death unless he was referring to regular rotation guys.

ElNono
09-29-2017, 03:49 AM
Isn't Costello a singer/musician? smh

ceds
09-29-2017, 04:20 AM
If anyone has watched Brandon Paul how does he compare to Forbes.

Is one clearly ahead of the other or is it a wash?

Brazil
09-29-2017, 07:18 AM
Dude, I might be vacationing to france next year. Any tips?

I honestly don't want to go..it is such a waste of money but my new girl is a travel geek..

I wish i could just dump her but I can't..having a girl is very financially beneficial.

Traveling to France is never a waste of money brah... in terms of tips it depends on a lot of things... how much time you will spend there ? what are the interests of you and your girlfriend (beaches, mountain, food, historical stuff, sports... etc etc) ? It also depends of the season... feed me and I will give you all the tips and stuff you need to have a great time

Seventyniner
09-29-2017, 08:03 AM
Isn't Costello a singer/musician? smh

Comedian tbh