PDA

View Full Version : Stern: Players will be 'pleasantly surprised' about dress code

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Stern: Players will be 'pleasantly surprised'

ESPN.com news services

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2193984

For all the NBA players that thought they'd have to wear a suit everywhere they went this season, David Stern told The Denver Post that they will be "pleasantly surprised" about the upcoming dress code announcement.

"It's a lot less than all of you are talking about, a lot less," Stern told the paper in a phone interview. "Right now we have a number of teams that are jacket and tie. We are not going there. Never were. We're going to give teams the option to continue that.

"But we're just trying to raise the lowest level up to a place where we can all still feel comfortable. I don't think it will be a problem. The gloom and doom [speculations] have so softened up everybody that by the time we issue the dress code, which will be some time next week, everybody will be pleasantly surprised."

At the time the dress code was announced to be in the works, several players vehemently opposed the change.

"I dress to make myself comfortable," Iverson told the Philadelphia Daily News. "I really do have a problem with it. ... It's just not right. It's something I'll fight for."

Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby added that the players should receive a stipend to pay for the clothes.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Stern would have done better to not say anything at all about the dress code until he could release all the details. It would have spared everyone the confusion.

WalterBenitez
10-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Denver Nuggets center Marcus Camby added that the players should receive a stipend to pay for the clothes.

:oops

SWC Bonfire
10-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Stern would have done better to not say anything at all until he could release all the details. It would have spared everyone the confusion.

He is an attention-getter for the league; this got the issue out to people through channels that never would have been used before, to people who now think, "oh, look, the NBA is cleaning up. Now they'll be just like that nice Admiral fellow."

Even if that is not the case, he made people look at/think about the league at a point when they get no coverage. A calculated PR move.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 12:30 PM
You are right.

Let me rephrase, Stern would have been a better person...

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't think Stern is the one who brought it up in the first place. The media found out about it and started making assumptions .. then they asked people around the league about it and wrote articles. Stern didn't announce "we have a dress code with no details".

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I actually think that the details of the draconian dress code were released to make it much easier for a compromise to be worked out. Almost every player interviewed said they were fine with a code on game days but balked at the travel codes, etc. The pleasant suprise could be what they already said they would accept.

tekdragon
10-17-2005, 12:52 PM

Welcome to the Latrell Sprewell School of Asshole Quotations.

thispego
10-17-2005, 12:57 PM
not really.... camby's comment is nowhere near as ridiculous and spree's.
basically camby is saying you want us in uniforms on AND off the court??? fine, pay for our suits, just like you pay for our jereseys

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 12:59 PM
I don't think Stern is the one who brought it up in the first place. The media found out about it and started making assumptions .. then they asked people around the league about it and wrote articles. Stern didn't announce "we have a dress code with no details".

Fair enough. But Stern didn't seem anxious to quench the rumors either.

And could the media really find out about it without Stern's knowledge and consent?

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 01:04 PM
Maybe I am too cynical.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
And could the media really find out about it without Stern's knowledge and consent?

Seeing as every player/team in the NBA already knew about it (it was negotiated this summer but without the details) then it wasn't a secret. There was nothing to consent about.

I'm just saying that people in this thread are acting like Stern made an announcement prematurely without details. He didn't. Everyone around the NBA knew a dress code of some sort was coming this year. The media ran with it and people got riled up. Stern doesn't mind people getting riled up because now when the details come out it won't be such a big deal.

John T
10-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Maybe I am too cynical.

:lol Um, I don't think that's it. You're like Ms. Anti-Cynical!

Carie

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 01:07 PM
That makes sense Kori. Thanks for clarifying it for me. = )

I don't like Stern but I trust you.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 01:09 PM
You should like Stern. He made the NBA awesome.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 01:11 PM
You should like Stern. He made the NBA awesome.

I will try. = )

tekdragon
10-17-2005, 01:17 PM
basically camby is saying you want us in uniforms on AND off the court??? fine, pay for our suits, just like you pay for our jereseys

Camby salary:
1997 $2,434,000
1998 $2,799,240
1999 $3,164,000
2000 $5,250,000
2001 $5,750,000
2002 $7,300,000
2003 $6,750,000
2004 $7,250,000
2005 $8,500,000
Career (may be incomplete) $49,197,240

This mutherfucker can't afford a suit? Come on...

Most employees of most businesses are required to dress a certain way while on company time. How many of those businesses are required to pay for their employees' "work clothes"? He can't afford a $200 suit at K&G? No, the problem is that he's not willing to wear one that costs $200. So the league should pay for his $5000 suit? Give me a freaking break.

polandprzem
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Better news
thanks

bdubya
10-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Details just out - dress code will include mandatory WWF-style Championship belts for defending titleholders.

:angel

Arragontigo
10-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Stern is a freaking asshole thats all

smeagol
10-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Some NBA players are, how can I put it simply . . . IDIOTS!

thispego
10-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Camby salary:
1997 $2,434,000
1998 $2,799,240
1999 $3,164,000
2000 $5,250,000
2001 $5,750,000
2002 $7,300,000
2003 $6,750,000
2004 $7,250,000
2005 $8,500,000
Career (may be incomplete) $49,197,240

This mutherfucker can't afford a suit? Come on...

Most employees of most businesses are required to dress a certain way while on company time. How many of those businesses are required to pay for their employees' "work clothes"? He can't afford a $200 suit at K&G? No, the problem is that he's not willing to wear one that costs $200. So the league should pay for his $5000 suit? Give me a freaking break.
wow, thanks for those completely unnecassary statistics. the fact is that these guys dont want to have to pay for something that they dont want and dont want to wear.
It's not that they can't afford a nice suit, Camby wasnt saying his current salary couldnt afford him a new suit. He was saying if you want so badly for us to dress professionaly, then you foot the bill.
What possible reason could there be for forcing these guys to "suit up"? I can see why it would piss them off, and I can see that it is the pronciple of the matter that brought on these comments by camby.

ObiwanGinobili
10-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Most employees of most businesses are required to dress a certain way while on company time. How many of those businesses are required to pay for their employees' "work clothes"?

My husband has to wear a required uniform at every job he has ever had.
ANd at every job he has bene required to pay for that uniform hiself.Either buy it out right or rent it.
Same goes for PPE.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 02:28 PM
But I bet your husband would like to have his uniform paid for by the company.

I don't really understand the backlash that goes along with players discussing their opposition to terms of this dress code. It's one thing if you don't feel the company should be obligated to pay a stipend or let the players wear what they want... but it's another thing all together to suggest players should just shut up and do what they're told.

The NBA isn't like other jobs. If a waiter/waitress bitches about having to pay for a uniform, they are easily replaceable. There aren't thousands of Marcus Cambys and Allen Iversons waiting around to start NBA teams and do the same things they can do. Because of that clout, they are more able (and have every right) to voice disapproval of decisions by their employers.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Because of that clout, they are more able (and have every right) to voice disapproval of decisions by their employers.That's what collective bargaining is for.

They had their chance to help define any code this summer. It's their fault that they left it up to the owners.

phyzik
10-17-2005, 02:34 PM
wow, thanks for those completely unnecassary statistics. the fact is that these guys dont want to have to pay for something that they dont want and dont want to wear.
It's not that they can't afford a nice suit, Camby wasnt saying his current salary couldnt afford him a new suit. He was saying if you want so badly for us to dress professionaly, then you foot the bill.
What possible reason could there be for forcing these guys to "suit up"? I can see why it would piss them off, and I can see that it is the pronciple of the matter that brought on these comments by camby.

Next time you go to work, wear your baggy jeans around your thighs and a 2Pac shirt or something like that. When your boss tells you to go home and put something on decent for the work place tell him if the company wants you to dress a certain way, they should buy your clothes.

Let me know how that works out for you.

smeagol
10-17-2005, 02:37 PM
The NBA isn't like other jobs. If a waiter/waitress bitches about having to pay for a uniform, they are easily replaceable. There aren't thousands of Marcus Cambys and Allen Iversons waiting around to start NBA teams and do the same things they can do. Because of that clout, they are more able (and have every right) to voice disapproval of decisions by their employers.
That does not mean they can't be called out for not wanting to wear a suit (if that is what it end up being) to a press conference.

Look, we are talking about a suit, maybe one a hour every game night.

What is so terrible about that?

Fuck this rich athletes are spoiled.

tekdragon
10-17-2005, 02:38 PM
But I bet your husband would like to have his uniform paid for by the company.

I don't really understand the backlash that goes along with players discussing their opposition to terms of this dress code. It's one thing if you don't feel the company should be obligated to pay a stipend or let the players wear what they want... but it's another thing all together to suggest players should just shut up and do what they're told.

...and we have every right to call them assholes for suggesting they need more money. Especially when it's Marcus Camby. How about earning some of that $50M before asking for more?

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 02:41 PM
That's what collective bargaining is for.

They had their chance to help define any code this summer. It's their fault that they left it up to the owners.

That's the point that many people are missing.

smeagol
10-17-2005, 02:42 PM

I work at a bank and have to wear a suit. I would rather wear T-Shirt. By the way, the bank does not pay for the suit.

And the stats are relevant. The guy made $50MM in 10 years. All the league is asking is he look professional once in a while.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Suiting up is sooooooo hard.

These guys would probably go to prison before suiting up.

Ridiculous.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 02:43 PM
That's what collective bargaining is for.

Right, and that's why the NBA can also force players to wear tu-tus if they choose. The players clearly didn't see this coming and didn't prepare accordingly. That is their fault, but that doesn't mean we're at a point where they should just "shut up and quit being spoiled multimillionaire bitches."

Besides, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for the NBA to relax certain rules in response to player or public outcry.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 02:46 PM
Right, and that's why the NBA can also force players to wear tu-tus if they choose. The players clearly didn't see this coming and didn't prepare accordingly. That is their fault, but that doesn't mean we're at a point where they should just "shut up and quit being spoiled multimillionaire bitches."

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for the NBA to relax certain rules in response to player or public outcry.

The exact rules hadn't even been defined yet when the players/public began their outcry. I said in the threads from the very beginning that I had heard that it was just going to be button down shirts and no jeans. But some articles added sportscoat and then (I believe) Ludden's article even added tie.

And then the whole forum went crazy and called Iverson a thug for questioning it and called Tim Duncan a hero for questioning it. :lmao

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 02:47 PM
That does not mean they can't be called out for not wanting to wear a suit (if that is what it end up being) to a press conference.

Who said they can't be called out? I'm just curious about why you're calling them out.

smeagol
10-17-2005, 02:48 PM
Can somebody explain to me why dressing smartly is such a bad thing?

PS: It's only for one hour.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 02:50 PM
That is their fault, but that doesn't mean we're at a point where they should just "shut up and quit being spoiled multimillionaire bitches."I think they should shut up and read before they sign. If this was so important to them they shouldn't have signed away their control.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 02:51 PM
And then the whole forum went crazy and called Iverson a thug for questioning it and called Tim Duncan a hero for questioning it.

Right, and (outside of homerism) that stems from stereotypes that are closely related to some of the reasons we're discussing a "dress code" in the first place.

People are focusing on whether these players can afford nice clothes, or whether they have the right to question their employers, etc... and nobody seems to wonder why we NEED to see these players wearing "nice" clothes anyway.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
I think they should shut up and read before they sign. If this was so important to them they shouldn't have signed away their control.

Has every player signed this agreement? How can they have signed something that nobody knows the final details about?

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Can somebody explain to me why dressing smartly is such a bad think?

PS: It's only for one hour.

First explain why it's a good thing. And define "smartly".

smeagol
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
Who said they can't be called out? I'm just curious about why you're calling them out.
Spurm, there are guys who have the God-given athletic ability (and the height) to excel at playing a game with a ball that bounces and i thrown through a hoop. They make incredible amounts of money for doing so. Some live a life that can only be described as a fairy tale.

And now they might be asked to wear certain kind of attire (it's uncertain which). And they start bitching. One of them (Camby) even implies the League has to pay for the attire.

That's why I'm calling them out.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 02:55 PM
and nobody seems to wonder why we NEED to see these players wearing "nice" clothes anyway.Because the owners think so. Whether they're right or wrong doesn't really matter; they were given the power to decide by the players.

The time for debate was four or five months ago.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
I am going to do what I should have done in the first place- wait and see what happens.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Has every player signed this agreement?The body they chose to negotiate for them did. It certainly seems as though the owners are living up to their end as the players are getting paid.
How can they have signed something that nobody knows the final details about?Again, the players, through the NBPA, agreed to leave it up to the owners. How is this so difficult to understand?

smeagol
10-17-2005, 02:59 PM
First explain why it's a good thing. And define "smartly".
Because millions of people are watching them on TV. The image they project is better if they are smartly dressed. They could come out with ragged shirts and jeans with holes. Not sure that's the image the League wants to project, though.

"Smartly" could be suits.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 03:07 PM
Again, the players, through the NBPA, agreed to leave it up to the owners. How is this so difficult to understand?

That doesn't mean they're silenced on negotiations they disapprove of, unless that's in the CBA as well.

You're arguing legality. That's fine. I don't dispute that the NBA has legal justification for any dress code they hand down. And quite frankly, I would still be opposed to a dress code even if the players themselves negotated it and signed off on it in their own blood.

These rules are intended to eliminate what the season ticket/suite buying public perceives as "thug wear." Case in point:

Because millions of people are watching them on TV. The image they project is better if they are smartly dressed. They could come out with ragged shirts and jeans with holes.

Why are we protecting our kids from ragged shirts and holey jeans? Why are we perpetuating the perception that good people dress nice and bad people dress ragged?

This goes beyond whether or not Marcus Camby can afford a suit at K&G. Good business decision? Sure. Moral decision? I'm not so sure.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 03:13 PM
I don't believe bitching about clothes is outlawed, but bitching about refs certainly is.

Is that moral?

From a pure free-speech standpoint, no.

Is it what the players agreed to?

Absolutely. And if they do feel a fine from ref-bitching to be unfair, they also agreed to arbitration. I would be surprised if they cared enough to ask for the same appeals process for Duncan's wife-beaters.

I doubt any player in the league would tuck in his jersey if they had the choice.

Why don't they have that choice?

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 03:13 PM
But then we don't criticise players for bitching about calls that we agree went the wrong way, do we?

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 03:15 PM
But then we don't criticise players for bitching about calls that we agree went the wrong way, do we?We don't have anything to do with this.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Sure we do. We buy the tickets and the merchandise.

This dress code is meant to appease those of "us" who think players dress like thugs.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Sure we do. We buy the tickets and the merchandise.

This dress code is meant to appease those of "us" who think players dress like thugs.So you're going to stop spending on the NBA if the dress code goes through?

I won't.

Their thinking is maybe some folks will increase their spending. I don't know if it's right or wrong -- all I know is that it's their call to make.

smeagol
10-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Why are we protecting our kids from ragged shirts and holey jeans?
I agree with you. Children will not be scarred for life if some basketball player dresses with a ragged shirt to a press conference.

Why are we perpetuating the perception that good people dress nice and bad people dress ragged?
I do believe in right and wrong. In this case, we are talking about something of little consequence.

But there are reasons why there are dress codes. there is a reason people go to weddings dressed a certain way, Congressmen go to Congress dressed a certain way a Supreme Court Judges dress a certain way.

Again, I fail to see what's so wrong about a dress code for basketball players.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 03:32 PM
So you're going to stop spending on the NBA if the dress code goes through?

I won't.

Not me personally, but if this makes its way into the nation's political/racial discourse and some of the country's more outspoken leaders voice their opposition, the NBA may be forced to rethink.

I doubt the NBA is concerned with losing my total yearly spending on NBA tickets and apparel.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 03:33 PM
But there are reasons why there are dress codes. there is a reason people go to weddings dressed a certain way, Congressmen go to Congress dressed a certain way a Supreme Court Judges dress a certain way.

And there are reasons why a black guy wearing a Raiders cap and a throwback jersey will get stopped and searched on the sidewalk.

ChumpDumper
10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
Not me personally, but if this makes its way into the nation's political/racial discourse and some of the country's more outspoken leaders voice their opposition, the NBA may be forced to rethink.Then maybe they will.
I doubt the NBA is concerned with losing my total yearly spending on NBA tickets and apparel.Nor are they overly worried about losing that of those who may be offended by the rules. Bottom line is they think they could make more money with the code -- if that's the case, the players will also make more money. So what's it really worth to them?

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 03:40 PM
Why are we perpetuating the perception that good people dress nice and bad people dress ragged?

Is it even "ragged" or is it just about what some people perceive to be "ghetto" or "gangsta" style?

Expensive jeans and shirts that happen to be baggy .. or throw back jerseys and caps aren't exactly "ragged". And just because it's popular attire among young, black men doesn't make it "ghetto" or "gangsta".

Anyway, I can see them instituting an agreed upon dress code for interviews and other media events. But all that crap about "to and from the plane" etc was/is excessive.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Is it even "ragged" or is it just about what some people perceive to be "ghetto" or "gangsta" style?

Expensive jeans and shirts that happen to be baggy .. or throw back jerseys and caps aren't exactly "ragged". And just because it's popular attire among young, black men doesn't make it "ghetto" or "gangsta".

That too.

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 03:49 PM
I haven't seen (to the best of my memory) any NBA players dress offensively. I don't see what the big deal is to inforce a dress code on them. Are fans complaining? Do they really care?

Athletes become role models for children by their ACTIONS, their HARD WORK, and DEDICATION to what they do, their talent. Not by the way they dress.

smeagol
10-17-2005, 03:55 PM
When I said "ragged clothes" I meant it in a hypothetical way. "They could come out in ragged clothes . . .". I did not mean that this is what is going on.

I still fail to see what's so wrong about a dress code. We have them at work, from McDonald's to banks, to retail stopres, to Congress. Why can't we have it in the NBA?

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't see what the big deal is to inforce a dress code on them.
^^ Just to make myself clear... By that, I meant I don't see why the league is making a big deal out of how the players dress.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I still fail to see what's so wrong about a dress code. We have them at work, from McDonald's to banks, to retail stopres, to Congress. Why can't we have it in the NBA?

But there's no dress code on what bankers, McDonalds workers, etc wear outside their job (meaning off the court to NBA players). That's what a lot of people think the problem is.

tekdragon
10-17-2005, 04:00 PM
On the court is not the only time NBA players are on the clock. It is a business trip, right? I mean, why else would you go to Cleveland?

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 04:01 PM
When I said "ragged clothes" I meant it in a hypothetical way. "They could come out in ragged clothes . . .". I did not mean that this is what is going on.

McDonald's workers wear uniforms while they work and while they're doing their job to get PAID. So does everyone else. NBA players wear their jerseys while they do what they're getting paid for: which is playing basketball.

When they step into a conference room, or for an interview, they are done doing what they get paid for. I just don't see how it's necessary for them to wear suits when they're already wearing uniforms. Let them dress however they want; they're doing no harm to anyone. Seriously. Can you tell me how they're harming anyone?

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 04:02 PM
By that, I meant I don't see why the league is making a big deal out of how the players dress.

Their thought is that they are trying to clean up the public image.
Many believe that the brawl, off the court artests, etc. have led to a poor image of NBA players. So they are trying to make a neater "appearance" to the public. It's a quick imaginary fix. If you see a player in the suit, maybe you won't notice that he got caught for marijuana or beat up this girlfriend. *shrug*

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
On the court is not the only time NBA players are on the clock. It is a business trip, right? I mean, why else would you go to Cleveland?

So you think players should have to wear a suit to and from the plane?

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 04:03 PM
They're doing a service getting interviewed for fans' entertainment. This isn't an obligation, nor is it why they get paid for.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 04:04 PM
This isn't an obligation, nor is it why they get paid for.

Yes it is an obligation. They are required to give interviews. It's in the collective bargaining agreement.

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 04:05 PM
Their thought is that they are trying to clean up the public image.
Many believe that the brawl, off the court artests, etc. have led to a poor image of NBA players. So they are trying to make a neater "appearance" to the public. It's a quick imaginary fix. If you see a player in the suit, maybe you won't notice that he got caught for marijuana or beat up this girlfriend. *shrug*
Yeah. I just haven't seen an NBA player dress offensively. I just don't get it.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 04:07 PM
It's not "offensive" that they are worried about. The clothes that a lot of young black players wear are perceived to be "gangsta" by some people.

John T
10-17-2005, 04:07 PM
Will the way they dress change your perception of them? Do you think it will change others?

Carie

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes it is an obligation. They are required to give interviews. It's in the collective bargaining agreement.
Alright. What I'm trying to say is that the main focus is the on-the-court work. That's the reason they're here, why they get paid. It's an obligation, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that it's for fans' entertainment and enjoyment, besides watching them play. I don't see how it's fair for them to dress in suits for that. I say they're fine just they way they are.

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 04:10 PM
It's not "offensive" that they are worried about. The clothes that a lot of young black players wear are perceived to be "gangsta" by some people.
Well then it's perceptions that need changing. This isn't the players' fault; and they shouldn't be punished for it.

Spurminator
10-17-2005, 04:10 PM
The McDonalds uniform analogy works better with the actual team uniforms. No one is disputing that the players should have to wear team uniforms during games.

Smeagol, my issue is that it strengthens cultural misperceptions about clothing and behavior. I think it is much more valuable to society to have role models who dress LIKE the people who look up to them and do good deeds in the community than for those players to dress in a way that confirms to some people that generic clothing and good behavior go hand in hand.

Kori Ellis
10-17-2005, 04:13 PM
I say they're fine just they way they are.

I don't have any problem with how players dress. I'm just explaining to you that their time on the court is not their only time "working". And that's where some people are drawing the line. Players are required to do publicity appearances, interviews, etc. And so if their employer can tell them how to dress on the court, they can tell them how to dress in those things too. And, as has been brought up several times in this thread, they agreed to this in the collective bargaining negotiations.

I don't think a dress code is really necessary or useful, but it's definitely in the right of the employers to implement one.

Anyway, some teams already have very strict dress codes and require shirt/slacks/coats during interviews. Some teams have no facial hair rules, no headband rules, etc.

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 04:13 PM
Will the way they dress change your perception of them? Do you think it will change others?

Carie
People should be smart enough to not judge people by the clothes they wear. It's culture.

cheguevara
10-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Some teams have no facial hair rules,

really??? WTH is the point of that?

now I feel bad. I just went to a meeting at work and haven't shaved in 1 and 1/2 weeks! I'm shaving tomorrow :oops

TOP-CHERRY
10-17-2005, 04:17 PM
The way I see it is, I can completely understand and agree with other jobs requiring dress codes in interviews, business trips, etc. to important things... The NBA is entertainment. I guess I'm just not taking it as serious as others are.

thispego
10-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Right, and (outside of homerism) that stems from stereotypes that are closely related to some of the reasons we're discussing a "dress code" in the first place.

People are focusing on whether these players can afford nice clothes, or whether they have the right to question their employers, etc... and nobody seems to wonder why we NEED to see these players wearing "nice" clothes anyway.
hit the nail on the head

tekdragon
10-17-2005, 04:58 PM
So you think players should have to wear a suit to and from the plane?

Not necessarily...it's not up to me to decide what constitutes the times at which an employee is representing their employer...that's up to the employer.

I don't have any problem with how players dress. I'm just explaining to you that their time on the court is not their only time "working". And that's where some people are drawing the line. Players are required to do publicity appearances, interviews, etc. And so if their employer can tell them how to dress on the court, they can tell them how to dress in those things too.

This was the essence of what I was getting at. If you're representing your employer, and it's in your contract that your appearance (while representing your employer) is subject to the regulations dictated by that employer, then said employer has every right to set those standards, as well as a responsibility to set those standards based on what is best for the organization.

Who decides what's best for the organization?

The organization does.

That's their right.

ducks
10-17-2005, 07:55 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/player_dress_code_051017.html

MEMO TO: NBA PLAYERS
FROM: DAVID STERN, RUSS GRANIK, ADAM SILVER, AND STU JACKSON

DATE: OCTOBER 17, 2005

RE: NBA PLAYER DRESS CODE

1. General Policy: Business Casual

Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business.

"Business Casual" attire means

A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.
Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.
Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.
"Team or league business" includes all activity conducted on behalf of the team or the league during which the player is seen by, or interacts with, fans, business partners, members of the public, the media, or other third parties. It includes arriving at games (car or team bus to locker room), leaving games (locker room to team bus or car), attending games when not in uniform, participating in team or league events with business partners or in the community, conducting media interviews, and making promotional or other appearances.

2. Exceptions to Business Casual

There are the following exceptions to the general policy of Business Casual attire:

a. Players In Attendance At Games But Not In Uniform

Players who are in attendance at games but not in uniform are required to wear the following additional items when seated on the bench or in the stands during the game:

Sport Coat
Dress shoes or boots, and socks
b. Players Leaving the Arena

Players leaving the arena may wear either Business Casual attire or neat warm-up suits issued by their teams.

c. Special Events or Appearances

Teams can make exceptions to the Business Casual policy for special events or player appearances where other attire is appropriate -- e.g., participation in a basketball clinic.

3. Excluded Items

The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear at any time while on team or league business:

Sleeveless shirts
Shorts
T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team)
Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team)
Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes
Sunglasses while indoors
Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room)

We know it's not possible to create a dress policy that will anticipate every possible situation. Our policy will therefore be interpreted in all cases to ensure that players are neatly and professionally attired, while not being unfairly burdensome.

Thank you in advance for your continued cooperation. Good luck to all for the 2005-06 season.

John T
10-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I don't know how 'pleasant' some of the players will think wearing a sports coat is. But, if we're looking for a silver lining, at least it's only for games.

Carie

thispego
10-17-2005, 08:02 PM
interesting
i wonder how some players will react

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Except for now wearing a sports' jacket, it doesn't seem like our guys will have to make much of an adjustment.

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Tim won't like this at all. Other players will soon join the committee too.

I just hope we don't see someone from our team say something about a stipend too. :lol

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Tim won't like this at all. Other players will soon join the committee too.

What do you think Timmy will object to other than the forementioned sports coat?

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 09:12 PM
"It's gotta be the shoes". :blah

usckk
10-17-2005, 09:19 PM
How any of yall noticed that none of the Spurs players were suits and ties? Most just wear a collered shirt and jeans. Are they all following Duncan's lead or is just their own style?

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 09:21 PM
I think all of the players have a laid back style. Even the locker room atmosphere is not very serious. When it's game time, the players just play competitive basketball.

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I agree. Sometimes Bruce wears a suit. I think Nazr has too.

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 09:23 PM
Have you seen Rasho wear a suit, angel?

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Have you seen Rasho wear a suit, angel?

No, but I am all for it.
Especially if he is in one waiting for me at a table for two. = )

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 09:27 PM
:lol

I was expecting you to say that you wouldn't mind seeing him in his birthday suit. :lol

angel_luv
10-17-2005, 09:29 PM
:lol

I was expecting an answer along the lines of birthday suit. :lol

I was nick named Angel for a reason. ;)

Mr_MVP21
10-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Back to the topic of the dress code, the Spurs probably would give David Stern the least trouble. They are pretty disciplined organization so I'm sure Pop will convince the team to follow the rules.

It's all those other clowns like Camby, you have to laugh at.

Drachen
10-17-2005, 11:38 PM

Are you fucking serious?? I have to say, this may just knock Spreewells comment from last year off of the top of the FUCK YOU MILLIONAIRE list.

MI21
10-18-2005, 01:25 AM
Fucked if I would be wearing dressy shoes on my money making feet when I should be wearing something comfortable and relaxing for my feet.

velik_m
10-18-2005, 02:34 AM
hm... there is no rule about colors... so i'm guessing pink and yellow are OK?
How about writing something on it, like "Fuck dress code"? ;)

ata
10-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Maybe everybody should wear something like this:
http://www.jonathanlynn.com/images/gallery/vinny3.jpg

It surely complies the dress code.

Kori Ellis
10-18-2005, 02:39 AM
Except for now wearing a sports' jacket, it doesn't seem like our guys will have to make much of an adjustment.

Many (or maybe even most) of the Spurs players wear T-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes/flipflops during postgame. So that will have to change.

Many of them wear hats, t-shirts and/or throwbacks to and from the games. A couple wear sunglasses in the building.

Most of the time I see them wearing shorts or sweats when they are going to the plane.

So it's not just the sportcoat thing that will be a change for the Spurs.

They are a pretty casual team outside of Bowen, Nazr and sometimes Horry.

easjer
10-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Do diamond studded sandals count as dress shoes?

Just curious.

I think the players should be cleared to wear team apparel during interviews and to and from the team bus. That would be ok too.

But no chains outside of their clothes? That's a bit, um, extreme. And would any event with fans and business partners include the charity events?? Are bowling shoes dressy enough?

I don't dispute the right to mandate apparel by the NBA, but I do think they've taken it too far (on and off the plane? team events?) Anything outside of their mandatory obligations set by the CBA should be team choices.

DesiSpur_21
10-18-2005, 10:23 AM
hm... there is no rule about colors... so i'm guessing pink and yellow are OK?
How about writing something on it, like "Fuck dress code"? ;)

This is what I was thinking ;-) I hope at least some players will try out odd colors that can be as ugly as possible :lol :lol

Do players need to suit up for the locker room interviews too? As of now lot of them give interviews without a shirt on - These interviews considered an official enagement or casual sound bites?

DesiSpur_21
10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Oh and BTW, Shouldn't NBA stop cashing in on by playing the so called "gangsta" songs during games.

Stern and co. are a bunch of hypocrites.

ObiwanGinobili
10-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Oh and BTW, Shouldn't NBA stop cashing in on by playing the so called "gangsta" songs during games.

Stern and co. are a bunch of hypocrites.

Stern doesn;t pick the NBA games "soundtracks".

otherwise I woulda've murdered him allready for the SBC's "get ready for this" bullcrap.

nkdlunch
10-18-2005, 10:33 AM
I wear a shirt and dress pants to work. But sometimes I wear jeans and sneakers when I wanna be more comfortable. The key word here is COMFORT. If they suddenly changed the ruleas at my work and requiered me to wear suits. I would be pretty pissed off and it would be a BIG change for me. So I understand where these players are coming from.

this rule sucks

ata
10-18-2005, 10:36 AM

But no chains outside of their clothes? That's a bit, um, extreme. And would any event with fans and business partners include the charity events?? Are bowling shoes dressy enough?

Just an association to "extreme" and "chains":
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/8726/3407pic019241bb.jpg

wildbill2u
10-18-2005, 10:37 AM

I don't think the comparison to uniforms is apt at all since the dress code wouldn't require that all clothing be uniform or carry a team logo.

When the code is announced, I suspect that 'gangsta' attire at team functions is going to be a 'no-no.'

Anyone should realize that these guys need to make an acceptable impression on the public when they travel and congregate as a team to help sell the league. What they wear individually when not part of a team activity will not be affected.

easjer
10-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Point taken.

Ew.

DesiSpur_21
10-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Anyone should realize that these guys need to make an acceptable impression on the public when they travel and congregate as a team to help sell the league. What they wear individually when not part of a team activity will not be affected.

Well, NBA can certainly define what's acceptable for them, but there is a large section of fans who are okay with seeing players wearing cloths like any other Joe on the street.

NBA might make money with this move, but certainly some sections of fans won't be happy with it.

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Many (or maybe even most) of the Spurs players wear T-shirts, jeans, and tennis shoes/flipflops during postgame. So that will have to change.

Many of them wear hats, t-shirts and/or throwbacks to and from the games. A couple wear sunglasses in the building.

Most of the time I see them wearing shorts or sweats when they are going to the plane.

So it's not just the sportcoat thing that will be a change for the Spurs.

They are a pretty casual team outside of Bowen, Nazr and sometimes Horry.

You're right. I remember all that now that I stop to think about it. I don't really pay attention to clothes, especially when the guys are speaking. I just like to see and hear them all.

I'm going to miss Gino's bucket hat. = (

DesiSpur_21
10-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Stern doesn;t pick the NBA games "soundtracks".

otherwise I woulda've murdered him allready for the SBC's "get ready for this" bullcrap.

Then let him have a code for owners too...

AI's image is not gonna change by dressing properly. Tim is a role model for kids no matter what. Kobe is gonna be Kobe and Kidd will be Kidd himself.

Let Stern make it clear that it's a business decision since corporates needed it that way. Average fans will appreciate players who are just like themselves.

There are different ways to improve NBA's image and dress code isn't just one them. NBA can put in more money into character-building excercises on players and less priviliged soceity than just being a money making business.

spurster
10-18-2005, 12:12 PM
NBA players are professional. Let them dress that way

nkdlunch
10-18-2005, 01:25 PM
NBA players are professional. Let them dress that way

I'm a professional and wear jeans half the time at work.

duncan2k5
10-18-2005, 02:57 PM
and what defines prefessional??? the multimillionaire banker? I think people should dress as they deem fit. they are paid to play basketball. they wear the proper attire while they work. all this extra stuff is uncalled for. stern is becoming too much of a dictator now. how far will this go? next thing you know he will propose a "sex once a week" limit on NBA players and their wives.

nkdlunch
10-18-2005, 03:05 PM
and another thing that's funny, WHAT ABOUT THE TATOO'S? I mean, I wear jeans to work but if I show up with Hughes' type tats, I'd be toast!

Stern is a hypocrit. Players can be filled with crazy tatoos, but they better not dare wear tshirt and jeans!!!

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 03:49 PM
and another thing that's funny, WHAT ABOUT THE TATOO'S? I mean, I wear jeans to work but if I show up with Hughes' type tats, I'd be toast!

Stern is a hypocrit. Players can be filled with crazy tatoos, but they better not dare wear tshirt and jeans!!!

Maybe that is why he said long sleeve shirts and no shorts.

smeagol
10-18-2005, 04:20 PM
They should go to press conferences in nothing but thongs

nkdlunch
10-18-2005, 04:23 PM
Maybe that is why he said long sleeve shirts and no shorts.

what if they have tatoos on their necks,hands? like Hughes/iverson?

angel_luv
10-18-2005, 04:36 PM
You've got me there. = )

IcemanCometh
10-18-2005, 05:12 PM
But Cuban, who often wears T-shirts and jeans to games -- told ESPN.com that there was "no chance, no way" that he would comply with the league's off-the-court dress code for its players. Sleeveless shirts are not allowed under the policy

Iverson, whose do-rag will now be banned, recently told the Philadelphia Daily News that "just because you put a guy in a tuxedo, it doesn't mean he's a good guy."

Although Stern wouldn't say exactly how he would enforce the new regulations, which, among other things, bans injured players seated on the bench from wearing jeans and outlaw chains, pendants or medallions over the player's clothes while on team or league business, he did say that the league "will use a broad range of authority" to enforce compliance.

"If they are really going to have a problem, they will have to make a decision about how they want to spend their adult life in terms of playing in the NBA or not," Stern said.